Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 4:09 AM
Default Sims 2 Top Design - FINAL RESULTS POSTED! THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING!
Sims 2 Top Design
(Belongs in Houses)
Do you want to enter the fantastic world of design? Then you’re at the right contest!

My name is Piper Stone, and I’ll be your host for Sims 2 Top Design: Cycle One.

Our goal is to find a top designer from unknowns. So step it up a notch, and come design with us!

Rules

~Follow all S2C rules and guidelines.
~All designs MUST BE YOUR OWN.
~All entries must be totally complete by the time set in the round description.
~All genders and races welcome, but your Sim must be an Adult.
~If you have to drop out, PM me ahead of time if possible.
~No sore losers!
~No simmerizing, sim stealing, etc.
~Sims already in other contests are welcome.
~Some rounds will require an honor system, see the ‘Rounds’ section for more details.
~Photoshop or some other editing software is a good thing.

Application Round
Please provide the following, so we can get to know you.
~One headshot of your designer.
~Show us around your office, be it a home office or an office outside your home.
~Show us around a room you’ve designed, be it a client’s room or one in your own home.
~Tell us about you! Answer the following questions:
What’s your name?
Your occupation?
Your age?
Where are you from?
How did you start designing?
How do you describe your personal design style?
~And finally, show us you in your bedroom!

Rounds
Application
No eliminations. This is kind of a ‘get to know you’ round.
This round will require the honor system. Design a loft on less than 500,000 Simoleans. Floorplan is provided. Eliminations start here. Judging will be based on creativity on a budget, ability to follow directions, and your confession question.
No budget for this round. You'll be given some information, and asked to design from there. Floorplan provided. After the round is over, your client will be revealed to you, as well as what they think of your design. Judging will be based on creativity, how well you listented to your client, how well you met the client’s needs, and your confession question.
Round 3: Big Kid Room Now!
This round will require the honor system. You'll be given a set of multiples to design a single big kid room for, all on less than 10,000 Simoleans. Floor plans will be provided. You’ll be given genders for your set of multiples (no more than 4), and you'll get free reign from there. Judging will be based on creativity, how well you did on the budgeting, and your confession questions.
Round 4: Deserving Design
No budget for this round. You’ll be given a family to redesign a home for. Floorplan will be provided. You’ll learn a little about your family, and design them a brand new home. Judging will be based on overall design of the home, how well you worked within the layout, how well you listened to your clients, manuverability within the design, and your final confession.

All rounds will require an overhead shot of each room, as well as at least 4 close shots of the room, with a limit of 6 close shots. They will all also require a shot of your designer in the room. Rooms with a budget will require an estimate of how much you spent. I will tell you how much walls and BASIC FLOORING cost you, subtract from there. Remember, this is the honor system, so I won’t be checking up after you, but I expect you to be honest. All rounds will have a confessional, photos optional for those.

I am in the US. I am on CENTRAL STANDARD TIME. All rounds will end no later than 10 PM my time. If you need a REASONABLE extension, please let me know.

Prizes

A sim named Micheala by aimsme!

Still taking donations!

Judges

Vampire_of_Death
iampinkstar
Chelleypie

Emergency Judges

pemma.205
kattenijin

ROUND TWO WILL END AT 10 AM ON TUESDAY MAY 27TH!!!
What time is it in Louisiana?
How Long Do I Have?

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd May 2008 at 1:34 AM
Contest Approved
Begins 5.1.08
Ends 6.1.08
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2008 at 2:00 PM
This post will contain the contestant list and links to their effort, as well as our eliminations.

CONTESTANTS

Mina Carter//Application//Round One - DROPPED OUT.
Armana Demetri//Application//Round One//Round Two//Round Three
Celeste Moranni//Application//Round One - DROPPED OUT.
Ginger Davis//Application - ELIMINATED.
Gerbera Svorsky//Application//Round One//Round Two//Round Three
Billi Thurston//Application//Round One - DROPPED OUT.
Carolyn Green//Application//Round One//Round Two
Audrey DeBarbarak//Application//Round One//Round Two
Beate Broberg//Application//Round One//Round Two - DROPPED OUT.
Jaimee Liddell//Application//Round One - DROPPED OUT.
Chloe Chanelle//Application//Round One - DROPPED OUT.
Adz Burnett//Application//Round 1//Round Two//Round Three
Janelle Scott//Application- ELIMINATED.

Application Commentaries
Vampire
iampinkstar
Chelleypie

Green Room Meetings
Round One Results!

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
#4 Old 2nd May 2008 at 4:01 PM
I will be glad to be a judge, if you still need one! I also have a sim for donation, if you are interested, I will PM you with details!

Bites and Kisses
Vampire
#5 Old 2nd May 2008 at 4:34 PM
I'd like to judge too, I can't enter I don't have nearly enough cc, i used to have tonnes and im still getting used to decorating without it!
#6 Old 2nd May 2008 at 5:36 PM
If we're intending to compete, can we still donate prizes?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 3rd May 2008 at 12:47 AM
i'm still new to contests.... when can we submit applications?
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd May 2008 at 5:03 AM
Default Mina Carter (CisteCaise) - Application
  • What’s your name?
    Mina Carter
  • Your occupation?
    Graphic Designer/Interior Designer
  • Your age?
  • Where are you from?
    Originally from Pleasantville, but currently living in Sim City
  • How did you start designing?
    I went to school for Art at Academie Le Tour and managed to get an intership doing graphic design for Trendham & LeCroix Designs in Sim City. After the internship ended, they decided to retain me as a Junior Designer in their firm and I've been designing ever since.
  • How do you describe your personal design style?
    My personal style is a mixture of a funky, bohemian look and modern sensibilities.

My Headshot

My Home Office

My Bedroom

A Room I've Designed

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
#9 Old 3rd May 2008 at 3:03 PM
Default Armana Demetri - Application
Name: Armana Demetri
Where are you from: Brisbane Australia
How did you get started in designing: Through my family's design business. I decided to go freelance 3 years ago as I wanted to expand my opportunity of working around the world.
How do you describe your personal design style: I describe it as modern, refreshing and classy and fulfil my clients needs when it comes to their own personal taste.

My Office

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/S2C/Amera.jpg

A Room I've Designed

My Bedroom

Field Researcher
#10 Old 3rd May 2008 at 3:33 PM
this contest looks like fun! only problem may be the budget constraints if content isn't maxis only. custom content makers rarely use logical pricing standards. a perfect example is simskitchen pottery barn furniture. every one of their items costs $1.
#11 Old 3rd May 2008 at 7:19 PM
But now that we all know that, we'll all be on the lookout for any entries that use it overmuch.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th May 2008 at 12:56 AM
Tawny - applications are now open.

Mocha - This is based on an American television show called Top Design on HGTV. The designers were given limits on spending, and that's what this simulates. It makes it more challenging, certainly, but that makes it a little more fun! It's about fun and challenge!

Great entries Ciste and Mumo!

Field Researcher
#13 Old 4th May 2008 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chelleypie
Tawny - applications are now open.

Mocha - This is based on an American television show called Top Design on HGTV. The designers were given limits on spending, and that's what this simulates. It makes it more challenging, certainly, but that makes it a little more fun! It's about fun and challenge!

Great entries Ciste and Mumo!

i understand the concept. i'm just saying that someone can decorate a really extravagant house for $100 if the custom content they download is priced really cheap. never mind...
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th May 2008 at 4:07 PM
The limits are not unattainable. The loft challenge is 100,000 simoleans for the entire thing, less walls. The family challenge is 1,000 per room. I may change that one to 10,000 per room. That's part of the point - go out and see if you can find great stuff for less money.

For the house challenge, I will give floorplans and tell what Maxis exterior walls I use. If we get any more applications!

#15 Old 4th May 2008 at 5:50 PM
Default Celeste Moranni (aimsme)- Application
What’s your name?

Celeste Moranni.

Your occupation?

Interior and landscape designer.

Your age?

Where are you from?

Riverblossom Hills.

How did you start designing?

My father had his own design business, and he showed me how to use various tricks and techniques. His love of architecture inspired me to take up design as a career myself, and so I studied art at school before doing architecture at Uni.

How do you describe your personal design style?

I like to think of it as being flexible- I like to adapt it to suit the client's tastes, the styles of the local area (Riverblossom, for instance, has a love of quaint furniture) and add my own touch. I'm very much a fan of plants- my interiors always have at least one flower in a vase or bowl.

Headshot:

Show us around your office:

My office is in my home. First, the clients enter through the atrium (I have a private lift at the back):

And they come to the main office area. Here there is a table and chairs for discussion between myself and the clients, and a computer desk for me to show them my work, be it for them or examples of work I have undertaken for others. I sometimes keep a small snack on the table, as I have sometimes had to skip meals since I usually have a lot of design work to do in between seeing clients.

I know the atrium part's a touch dramatic, but I designed it myself, and I'm quite proud.

Show us your own room:

My room's quite heavily decorated. My drum kit and easel are there, and the space in the far corner is basically just a reading area with cushions on the floor and a bookshelf that's not too high up. I love lounging around here.

In the other corner is my personal desk, with various magazines on it along with my bag. My bed has curtains above it, which you can't really see from this angle. A poster of my favourite star, Marilyn Monroe, is right next to it. Even though she's an actress and I'm a designer, she still inspires me- don't ask me to explain how!

Show us a room you've designed:

A week or so after I moved to Riverblossom, the Roths asked me to redesign their daughter's room as a sixteenth birthday present:

There was a limited amount of space, but I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 4th May 2008 at 6:23 PM
Hi, I was just wondering when the applications were due? I am starting my sims up now to work on it, lol, but I'm not sure how long it will take. I'm not *that* great at decorating but I figured I'd give it a shot.
Thanks!
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th May 2008 at 8:24 PM
Oh, lord, that's helpful, yea? Well, given that I'm approved as of 5/2, we'll say 5/9. If interest is shown but applications can't be complete on 5/9, I'll start Round 1 then and let applications finish.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 5th May 2008 at 2:44 AM
Default Ginger Davis (IceAngel12891)-application
I'm sorry the angles suck, the rooms were actually quite good but I couldn't get any good angles for taking the pictures. I should have done all the rooms seperately instead of connected so it would have been easier to use the tab button but oh well =]
I love my headshot picture though.
Also sorry for the sucky graphics.

-One headshot of your designer.

-Show us around your office, be it a home office or an office outside your home.

-Show us around a room you’ve designed, be it a client’s room or one in your own home.

-Tell us about you! Answer the following questions:
What’s your name? My name is Ginger Davis
Your occupation? I own my own interior design company.
Your age? 28
Where are you from? Desiderata Valley
How did you start designing? Well I first started in fasion design when my mother gave me her old sewing machine when I was 10. I then became interested in interior decorating and decided to go to college for that.
How do you describe your personal design style? I think its a mix off all sorts, mainly a mix of modern and traditional. I get a feel for what I want, then I go for it.

-And finally, show us you in your bedroom!
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th May 2008 at 4:18 AM
Great entry! I'm impressed with the interest - last time I tried to run this it didn't go well. Never did get enough entries. May not this time, but at least I have more than two!

Field Researcher
#20 Old 5th May 2008 at 8:44 PM
Well I really hope more people enter!
I'm not the greatest at decorating, but I like it and practice makes you better at things.
I've done one other house contest and only got like 4th out of like 13 but I had fun, and thats all that counts, lol.
#21 Old 5th May 2008 at 9:23 PM
I'm entering! I promise I have time to finish this one. No flaking out!

What’s your name? Gerbera Svorsky
Your occupation? Full time interior designer, part-time photographer.
Your age? 25
Where are you from? A little place called Providence Island
How did you start designing? I can pin-point the first time I ever came in contact with the career part: my mom took me to work with her when I was about 11 years old and I hung out with the designers that were there. I remember thinking the job looked really fun. I was always an artsy kid, though, so that aspect of it comes pretty naturally.
How do you describe your personal design style? I am pretty eclectic. I love restoring beautiful vintage pieces and fitting them into client's specific styles. I also adore doing people's beach homes. I grew up on the beach so whenever someone comes to me with a beach-front property to design, I'm like, "Yes!"

Here's my headshot

My studio

My bedroom

Past work
Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th May 2008 at 12:14 AM
Ohhh, Remy, I'm honored to have you here! -gets excited- We're halfway there! Five contestants! I've got the Task 1 stuff together, so hopefully we'll get some more contestants!

#23 Old 6th May 2008 at 9:38 AM
I have finished my application round Here
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 6th May 2008 at 3:18 PM
OO! Mumo! PRETTY! -drools- LOL. I just hope we get the other 5 contestants.

#25 Old 6th May 2008 at 9:46 PM
Default Billi Thurston ~ Application
This is my first time entering a contest, so if anything is wrong, please let me know. My friend looked it over and said it was ok but I'm still worried I'll do something wrong. :einstein

Headshot:

Name: Billi Thurston
Location: Sellwood, a small community on the outskirts of Pleasantview.

How did you start designing? After majoring in art in university, I realized that the term "starving artist" was literal. Needing a source of income I started designing interiors for friends, who referred me to friends of theirs, who referred me to friends of theirs, and so on and so forth. Before I knew it, I had business cards declaring myself an interior designer.

Personal Design Syle: When designing for clients I listen to their wants and needs and adapt my style to fit their expectations. I'm really rather versatile. For myself, however, I tend to use an ecclectic mix. I love bargains and vintage style objects though, so it isn't uncommon to see pieced together rooms tied together with common elements to create a fun and unique look.

My Office: A small space in my home created to make clients feel relaxed and at ease. Here we go over what the clients wants from their space, as well as paging through fabric samples and colors.

A room I designed: This was a little girl's room I designed for a client. The child was 2 years old and ready to graduate out of her infant nursery, but not quite ready for a "big girl" room.

My Bedroom: A perfect example of my pieced together room tied together with common color elements to create a fun and unique space. Most of these objects were bargain, second-hand furnishings. I love my room.

Page 1 of 8