Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2008 at 10:29 PM
Default Planning Ahead-Cycle 2 ~Winner announced!
Planning Ahead
Cycle 2

Tired of building contests that focus on interior design more than the structure itself…again? Are you still a better builder than a decorator? Then this contest is for you! Design and build houses for each of the four rounds with no decorating required, we promise!

Da Rules:

1. As usual all forum rules apply in regards to double posting, picture limits and conduct.

2. All floor plan photos must be labeled with each room marked either on the picture itself or through use of floor color coding and a key typed in the post.

3. Decorating the houses is forbidden. You MAY, however, use light fixtures, counters, kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures in the appropriate rooms as these are standard in all homes.

4. All walls should be painted

5. Landscaping must be complete for exterior pictures.

6. No photo shopping beyond labeling pictures and light use of sharpening if your graphics are less than stellar. No sun spots, starbursts or blurry edges.

If you violate the rules you will be asked to change your post to comply. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of your entry and a resulting score of 0 given for the round.

Now to the fun stuff! The application round is simply you throwing your hat into the ring, so to speak, and will not be scored or judged. All subsequent rounds will be scored on a 20 point scale. Judges will score based on over-all appearance (how does it look), as well as creativity (is it interesting?) and playability (could a sim live there?)

Unlike the first cycle we will NOT be using any pre-drawn plans for this. You will be given an idea and let run free…so get creative and let your architectural skills shine!
I have included all rounds requirements to allow you to get a jump on working on them if you should find yourself crunched for time, stuck with builders-block or worried you may have to drop out. This way you can build them when you like and then simply take the pictures when the round begins

Application: build a 2 BDRM, 1.5 BA house on a 2x2 lot. It can be 1 or 2 stories. It must include a living room, kitchen and dining room. You may include up to 2 additional rooms (i.e. den, study, library, game room, etc). Please remember to label your rooms either on the picture or using flooring and a color key within your post.

Required Pictures:
(1) One front exterior shot
(1) Labeled top-down floor plan shot for each story (i.e. 2 stories=2 pictures)
(1) Builders choice picture. It can be an angle you particularly like or a detail you want to draw attention to. It’s up to you, be creative!

Round One: Suburban castles
Sally Sim just purchased a lovely 2x3 lot and she’d love to build a castle, however the local homeowners association has being breathing down her neck to conform. Can you build her a castle that isn’t going to get her fined? Your task is to build a castle-esque home that will fit in the heart of suburbia.

Requirements: 2-3 stories, 3-4 BDRM, 2-3 BAs, foyer, formal dining room, parlor and family room. Exterior must be stone or brick. You may include towers, turrets and like if you can make them work with the requirements.

Required Pictures:
(1) One exterior front
(1) top down labeled floor plan shot for each story
(1) rear exterior shot

Round Two: Escher says what?
“Art is a way of life!” According to Luke Paintslinger. His empty 3x3 lot is a blank canvas to this artistic soul and he wants his house to reflect his eclectic moods and creative mind. Call it funky, call it wacky, even call it a mess just so long as Luke can call it home! Your task is to turn on the creative tap and create a modern light filled haven for a Sim whose life is all about his art!

Requirements: 1-2 stories, 2-4 BDRM, 1.5-3 BA, kitchen, living room, studio/gallery space. Unconventional style or layout is encouraged. You may add up to 3 bonus rooms if you like (bonus rooms are not required and you will not lose points for not using them)

Required Pictures:
(1) One exterior front
(1) rear exterior shot
(1) shot of the studio/gallery space from a sims perspective
(1) shot of gallery/studio space at your choice of angle (get creative!)

Round Three: Island in the sun
The Sunny Family finally saved enough simoleans to purchase their dream vacation home. With 3 kids and a dog they need something open and airy, with lots of space for the kids to play. They’d like a sun room or semi-enclosed patio space so they can enjoy the great outdoors, without actually being out of doors. Your task is to create a vacation home that is classic and able to withstand the test of time (and 3 rambunctious children).

Requirements: 2 stories, 3 BDRM, 2.5 BA. Kitchen/dining area (combined), living room, play room, and a sunroom or partially enclosed porch/patio area. You may include 1 bonus room if you like.

Required Pictures:
(1) One exterior front
(1) rear exterior shot
(2) shots of your choice

Round Four: Big is Beautiful
Well after 10 years of scrimping and saving the Porters are ready to buy the house of their dreams. With 10 grown children and 8 grand kids lots of space for guests is a must. Since they are getting on in years, a 1st floor bedroom and bath is a must for this retired farm family.

Requirements: 1st floor bd/ba, plenty of guest rooms and entertaining spaces. This one is almost entirely up to you. Number of stories, bedrooms, baths and bonus space is at your discretion.

I only ask that you don’t exceed these limits:
No more than 4 stories, 10 bedrooms/baths, and 4 bonus rooms
(Bonus rooms are defined as a room that is not a main feature of every house)

Required Pictures:
(1) One exterior front
(1) One top down labeled floor plan shot for each story
(1) One rear exterior shot
(2) Two shots of your choice. i suggest you make them count

3 days guys!

Judges
1.Simsimsims
2.Lenoba
3.Photo
EJ-Emspp

Prize:
A donation of a contest appropriate prize is welcome. Please PM me if you would like to donate.

Contestants: I’m being optimistic and labeling 10 slots,lol
1.ShelbyLove;App;Round 1 ~Dropped Out~
2.Kattenijin;App;Round 1;Round 2 ;Round 3
3.Remyohmy;App;Round 1 ;~Dropped Out~
4.Iceangel12891;App;Round 1 ;Round 2
5.Starwyn;App;Round 1 ~Dropped out~
6.SharnaPax;App;Round 1 ;Round 2 ;Round 3
7.P$ycho$immer;App;Round 1;~MIA~

My policy is: If you have any complaints about anything at all...I hate you.
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 8:39 PM
Contest Approved
Begins 6.5.08
Ends 7.5.08
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jun 2008 at 8:51 PM
ready and able guys! apps will be open until 6/10 or until we have 10 entries,which ever comes first. 1 EJ still needed!

any questions,just post them

also there will be no eliminations unless we have an ungodly amount of entries.

Happy building!

#4 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 9:53 PM
Default Application
I wanna join! :D
I hope this is okay.

Front Exterior

Labeled Floor Plan

Builders Choice

I loved the kitchen in this house. it went really well with the country homey feel.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jun 2008 at 10:07 PM
it's great! thanks for joining us,shelbylove

i really like that kitchen, the layout is similar to the kitchen I'm doing in our new (real) house,lol!

Scholar
#6 Old 7th Jun 2008 at 3:25 AM
Default Application
Front:

First Floor:

Second Floor:

Builder's Choice:

Sorry about the lighting in the pictures. I just installed a new lighting mod; that, while great while playing the game, isn't too friendly towards picture-takeing.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jun 2008 at 4:06 AM
welcome aboard Kattenijin! thats an awesome house. the lights not that bad i like the open living area, one of my personal favorites in a floor plan.

in future rounds though (no biggie for the app so don't worry) please use several different flooring to 'color code' each room with a corresponding key. E.G: white=kitchen, blue=living room, wood=dining room,etc. just to avoid confusion for our judges.

Instructor
#8 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 2:21 AM
I'd love to enter this again but am not sure if I can since I won the first cycle. :doh I'm just wondering if it was long enough ago so that I could still enter. xD
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 3:48 AM
oh for heavens sakes p$ycho, get yer entry in here before i tickle you. you are more than welcome to join us, lord knows we need the entries :P

#10 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 4:11 AM
Woot! I'm entering!
I'm not exactly a pro at building, so hopefully this will improve my skillz. :p

Front

Aerial
(oops i forgot to label the 1/2 bath. hopefully you guys are creative enough )

Extra
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 5:31 AM
i saw you lurking when i last posted Remyohmy glad you decided to join, welcome aboard. thats a quaint house, i'd live there,lol. of course i am a home improvement show addict who bookmarks floor plans I'll never build for fun :P

Instructor
#12 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 5:40 AM
Ungo!!!! *immitates Sim* xD I'll have my entry in quite soon; I already know what I'm going to build. :D
Field Researcher
#13 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 7:11 AM
Default IceAngel12891-Application
I'm not too good at building, but I figured I'd give this a try. Maybe improve my building skills while doing so.

I went for a country cabin type look. Minus the logs, lol.

Front:

Overview (I accidentally labeled the living room as the family room, oops):

Extra:
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 8:14 AM
Is CC allowed?? I read through the 1st post twice and couldn't see anything that says otherwise.
Basically i'm just talking walls, floors, terrains and plants.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 1:06 PM
Starwyn-yup, CC is fine. since this isn't a decorating contest it doesn't give a 'visual advantage' or anything :P

Iceangel- i think thats a fine application entry, whats funny to me is that it looks exactlly like my next door neighbors house (the layout not the exterior). i'm glad you joined us and please remember, it's not about who is the best, it's about having fun and getting creative :D

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 1:44 PM
You're all good, I'm looking forward to seeing your other rounds ^^
Field Researcher
#17 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 1:47 PM
I'll be an emergency judge since you still need one, I'd be happy to help
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 2:38 PM
thanks Emspp. no more judges needed then :D

this is filling up fast *does happy dance* c'mon people, get those apps in! join us,you know you want to...it'll make ya feel goooood:P

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 9th Jun 2008 at 1:48 AM
Default Starwyn~Application
Exterior:

Aerial Veiw:

Extra:

I wanted to put a loveseat or table and chairs and BBQ in the courtyard area but wasn't sure if that was allowed.
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Jun 2008 at 2:13 AM
i would rather not have 'staging' just having it labeled as such is enough,i think.

i really like that green,it's so bright and uplifting thats a nice,well thought out plan,good flow. i like it! welcome and thanks for joining us!

everyone please remember you may start work on the other rounds at any time! all requirements are posted except for picture req. which will be posted as each round starts. this prevents any one posting a round too soon and confusing the heck out of me,the judges and everyone else :P

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 9th Jun 2008 at 2:38 AM
Thanks so much longdaysend! I'm not particularly talented at building but like you said this is for fun and i do enjoy doing it. One more question though. For the landscaping may we use decorative items such as statues, fountains etc?
Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Jun 2008 at 5:12 AM
I'd say yes to fountains and Large statuary pieces, as long as it is not excessive. for the most part we want the entries to look as much like new construction housing as possible, because no one has ever lived there if you get what I'm saying. also, thanks for reminding me, in round 1 you may use indoor fountains if you like as these are generally built at the same time as the house

so 1 or 2 fountains or statues is fine,but an entry with more than say 4 will be asked to change it or face a 0 for the round. fair enough?
:D

good,Star have fun, if you enjoy the building process thats all that matters in the end, after all

Lab Assistant
#23 Old 10th Jun 2008 at 4:30 AM
Excellent Apps everyone
I just wanted to say that I think all the Applications so far are Fantastic. I would Happily live in all of those houses. I can't wait to see what you all come up with for round one

Hosting my first contest "Style and Culture" :D
Find it here: Style and culture contest
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 10th Jun 2008 at 5:03 AM
Default SharnaPax - Application
Hey, guys! Good to see you all; I've been gone for a bit, and this contest looked so good I wanted to join.

This is actually modeled from a house I see on our way to the lake. Of course, being Sims, the proportions are not quite right, but I do like it. I had to guess on the interior.

Front view:

Ground Floor:

Upper Floor:

Choice:

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 10th Jun 2008 at 6:49 AM
That is too cute Sharnapax! I would live there!!

Eep, i've already started on the 1st round so i hope more people join soon. Mind you a suburban castle was a tad difficult! lol

Page 1 of 5