Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2008 at 7:16 PM
House Hunters: Sim City Ed. Cycle 2 / R3 scores up / Winners announced!

Hello! My name is Bette Vargas, and I’m the host of House Hunters! House Hunters is a show that follows individuals, couples, or families, as they hunt for a new house. And we are interested in filming a number of special episodes of our show in Sim City! If you are interested in trying out for the show please submit a “tape” introducing your family. Our producers will review the tapes, and will contact those that show promise!

Round Overviews
Application: Introduce us to the Sims who are trying out for the show. Include basic bios (eg. “Gloria is a stay-at-home mom who enjoys painting watercolors in her spare time”) for each Sim, and answer some questions for your Sim family.
Round 1: You will be provided the building plans of 3 houses based on the style & specifics you are looking for. Note that not all the houses may have everything you are looking for; that’s just the way real estate works! You will build all 3 houses (you will not decorate the houses; just build them and include all important fixtures (kitchen counters & appliances, bathroom plumbing) and features (fireplaces, pools, etc). You will have to do some basic landscaping, like trees, & shrubbery however. Then you will submit a “tape” of your Sims visiting the 3 choices, and giving their opinions on the houses afterward.
Round 2: Your Sims will decide one which of the 3 houses they have chosen to purchase, and you will include photos of your Sims packing up their belongings in their old house.
Round 3: Your family is now settled into their new house. The House Hunters crew has returned for a follow-up, so your Sims will show the crew around the decorated & finished house.

Rules
I will send you the plans for the houses you are to build, unless you want to find your own. If you choose to search for your own plans, they need to be okay-ed by me before Round 1. Please PM me the links to 3 house plans.
A family is whatever you want it to be. (2 moms and 2 kids, a single dad and 3 kids, 2 grown siblings, an old lady and 6 cats, you get the picture).
Sims may be any species.
I will try my best to choose house plans that “translate” easily into the Sim world, but you will be given leeway with the house plans.
Photoshopping is only allowed for basic cropping, sharpening, etc. There should be no borders or text on the submitted shots.
Your username & round info must be in the title bar of each submitted entry
One entry per person
There are no limits for using custom content
All rounds end at 8:00pm PDT (GMT-7). A countdown clock to the end of the current round can be found here

Round Specifics
Application: Introduce the Sims in your family with basic bios and a group photo in front of their home. Have your family show the 3 problems areas of their house and include 1 photo of each problem area with at least 1 family member in each photo and a caption for each photo. Have your family answer the following questions:
• Why they are wanting to move to a new house
• What specifics they are looking for (certain number of bedrooms, a pool, a large fenced-in backyard, etc)
• What style of architecture they are looking for (contemporary, traditional, country, victorian, etc)

This round will result in a total of 4 photos with captions, a bio for each family member, and answers to the round's questions.

Round 1: Build the 3 house plans you have been assigned, and ensure the bathrooms and kitchen are furnished the way a new house would be. Remember to include the extra wants your family was after, like pools, garden, etc. This round will result in 12 photos; 1 of your family checking out the exterior of each house, 1 aerial shot of each house's floorplan, and 2 of the inside of each house. At least 1 family member must be in each photo. Each photo should be captioned. Also have your family answer the following questions:
• What are your thoughts on the houses you saw today?
• How do you feel about leaving your current house?
• Which of the 3 houses is your favorite?

Round 2: This round will consist of 5 photos and captions:
3 photos of your family members packing up their belongings. At least 1 family member must be in each photo.
1 photo of your family outside their old house, saying farewell and thanks for the memories.
1 photo of your family outside their new house with some of their belongings.

Please answer the following questions:
- What made you choose this house over the other 2?
- Are there any changes or renovations you would like to see occur at your new house?
- Do you have any plans to purchase new furniture or decorations for your new house?

Round 3: This round will consist of 8 photos showing the interior of the home. The exact rooms shown in the photos is up to you, but you must cover the "main" rooms, such as the kitchen, dining room/area, living/family room, each bedroom, and at least 1 bathroom. Do not collage your photos; one photo=one room. You will also take 4 photos showing the exterior of the home, and 1 aerial photo of each level of the fully furnished house. Finally, post 1 family group shot in front of their home, saying good-bye to the House Hunters crew. Depending on the number of floors of your house, you will post a total of 14-16 captioned photos for this round. Also have your family answer the following questions:
• What have the positive aspects of this experience (besides the new house!) been on your family?
• What have the negative aspects of this experience been on your family?
• Are you happy to have participated in this show?

Judging
Each round entry will be scored out of 25 points

Judges - if you are interested in judging, please PM me
1. kattenijin
2.lazyviolet
3. Ainotar

Emergency Judges
1. coldfloral
2. simcharley1990
3. Daisie

Timeline
Application: Oct. 6 - Oct. 11 / Judging Oct. 11 - Oct. 13
Round 1: Oct. 11 - 18
Round 2: Oct. 19 - 25
Round 3: Oct. 26 - Nov. 2

This contest will run from Oct. 6 to Nov. 6
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Oct 2008 at 8:45 PM
Contest Approved
Begins 10.6.08
Ends 11.6.08
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Oct 2008 at 9:35 PM
Contestant List

• TRIriana / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• romyhorse / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• MacHeadMandi / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• CiaoAlora / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• w8tin / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• porkypine / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• LostSock / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• wndy26 / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• Tyler / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• mzcynnamon / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
• heavenzdvl987 / Application / Round 1 / Round 2 / Round 3
#4 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 4:53 AM
ill join, im new to the forum and contests, but would like to try it out
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 7:06 AM
This contest seems awesome!
I'll definately do it!
I'll get started on my family RIGHT now!
#6 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:03 AM
By 'tape' do you mean photo album type thing, or video?

Sounds like good fun, I just hope I've got a properly working computer in time to apply.
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:08 PM
beyond_beauty and IAmMadi: I look forward to your entries!

Schnorlick: Sorry for the confusion. In real life applicants would send in a tape to apply, but for the sake of this contest, you will not submit a tape or video, but photos;think of it as the 4 photos are "stills" from their application tape. Does that make sense?
#8 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 9:37 PM
I think i might enter although im not really that good at building. Be Back
#9 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 11:15 PM
Say we have a desire to enter...can the original home be a Maxis home?
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 11:52 PM
J@zziiB3@r: You should enter! It could be a good learning experience
Tyler: Yes, the first house can be a Maxis one. You will not be judged on the original house, but on your creativity with your photos, your answers to the round questions, etc.
#11 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 2:54 PM
I think I shall be joining this, I love building houses. If we send our own plans to you, can it be via PM?
Scholar
#12 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 3:00 PM
I haven't joined a building contest for sooo long, but this definitely sounds like a great idea.

I was going to say I'll think about joining, but I'll save on the thinking time and use it for making a family for the contest. :P
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 8:53 PM
LostSock: Yes, please send me links to the house plans via PM after you have submitted your application.
TRIriana: Yay! I look forward to your entry.
#14 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 9:15 PM
Hmm... i'm thinking of joining. i've not entered a contest for ages & this one looks like fun! Building 3 houses for round one does seem like a huge task though!
#15 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 9:23 PM
I.Infectious you could probably build them sloppy tho, and make the third look the best or whatever order.

Coldfloral i was wondering, I couldnt get a picture of my rooms the right way (although i still have the picture). because the house is so small so i am wondering if we could also have a picture of the floorplan so that you see exactly how small the rooms are.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 9:34 PM
Will we be judged on how well each house matches the plans provided/found?

Scholar
#17 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 9:46 PM
Application

Meet the Family

From L-R: Adam, Alexandria, and Milo. The three have lived together for three years now, on a quiet little estate by the nearby forest. While it was perfect for them when they first moved into the woodland property, things have since changed and they're looking to move as soon as possible. Alex and Milo are engaged, and Adam has been a friend of the younger gent's for a good few years now; long before they were both in the army together.

The Problem Areas

The wooden stairs lead up to a balcony area, where the front door is located. When they first purchased the property they thought that it was rather quaint. They realised the problem with having a first floor front door when Alex injured her leg recently - having to continually hop up stairs put unnecessary strain on her good leg and made things very uncomfortable for a few weeks. Doing the monthly shop also takes it's toll...the three tend to draw straws to decide who'll haul the shopping through the door.

The balcony is a nice feature in the kitchen, where it overlooks the lower rooms. However the glass is only single and wouldn't meet regulation standards anymore. It would cost a lot to have this balcony taken out and an updated version put in, but something has to be done now that the happy couple have a curious toddler.

Last, but not least, the bedroom. The room in itself is very nice and comfortable...however there are only two rooms in the house, and four people. Adam kindly moved out of his old bedroom to make space for his godson, but has been sleeping on the couch. Comfortable as that is, it just isn't feasible long-term.

TBF...
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 10:29 PM
I.nfectious: It may seem like a lot of work, but really you have control over it. You won't be building 3 large mansions (unless you want to) for the first round unless your Sims specify they are wanting a large house. So if it seems like a lot of work, maybe your Sims should want something cozy...
J@zziiB3@r: The houses are supposed to look like they are well-kept, not like shacks! Also, I don't want an overhead shot for the application. I'm sure you can get creative and figure out a good way to show how small the room(s) are.
Daisie: A small part of the score will be based on following the floorplans, but you will be given leeway. So you are welcome to remove closets, widen hallways, change the exterior colors & windows, etc. But I'd like it if the basic "feel" of the house was similar to the houseplan.
#19 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 10:52 PM
I just made my family and moved them into their house, so I'm now in the process of taking pictures :] My app should be ready by 7 central time :D
#20 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 11:06 PM
For the main photo in front of the home, should my sim's home be in full view?
Scholar
#21 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 11:17 PM
Default Juliet Morrison - Application
Juliet Morrison and Bump

If you strain your neck you can make out my apartment, above the bowling alley and gym.

Problem areas? Where do you want me to start!
Well, the fact that the cameraman had to stand outside the bathroom says it all, doesn't it!

And then there's the noisy neighbours, they keep me awake all night and I don't want to bring a baby home to this.

And finally, just the fact that it's an apartment! It's just one room, no space for a baby, or for my work, and no outside space.

• Why they are wanting to move to a new house

With Bump due to arrive in a couple of months I want to move into a house, with it's own garden. There just isn't the space for a baby in my apartment, not to mention how dirty and unhygenic the place is, no matter how much I clean it.
• What specifics they are looking for
I don't want a palace, just 2 bedrooms, a little studio for me and a small outdoor area where Bump can play.
• What style of architecture they are looking for
To be honest I don't mind, as long as it's a house! I'd probably say more comtemporary, something easy to look after and maintain.
#22 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 11:40 PM
Default The Canobe Family

Here's The Canobe Family. ( Ca - No - Be)

Amber Canobe: 12
(In The Brown) Shes the high fashionista that actually enjoys school, while also loving her image. She loves attention from those who matter most and if thats not all she loves to play ssx3.

Weldon Canobe: 11
( In the Black) Weldon is adopted. It was just finalized a few days ago. Weldon loves to play and talk to Amber and Brandy but for now hes still under observation.

Brandy Canobe: 12
( In The Red) Amber, now shes is a mystery. One minutes she loves to talk the next minute she's all by herself doing her own thing. Brandy loves to paint and use her creativity to the fullest.

Mikel Canobe: 30
( Father in black)
Mikel is the mother of the household. He may be the dad but he cooks, cleans and even helps the kids with there homework. Mikel likes to workout and in his freetime spend all of it with his family. How ironic Huh? Well its totally true with Mikel. Mikel favorite thing to do is play chess.

Kamile Canobe: 28
( In The Orange)
Kamile is "Mama Fashionista". her style changes every week to ever month. Shes full of excitement and fun. She likes cooking, so shes always in the kitchen eating or baking up a storm.

( Kamile) 1. The Reason we are in such a need to move is because the house is intirely to small. It's a 2 bedroom house with 5 people and 1 bathroom. With no other words that could sum up all the problems. We were falling into bankruptcy at one point which is when we sold our old house and moved to a smaller more family friendly town. We got our credit back right and decided to adopt but figured it would take a while so we would save up more money so that we could move into a house. Now we have finalized the adoption with Weldon sooner than planned and our kids are sharing a one bedroom while all 5of us are sharing 1 bathroom. Is that a fire hazard? because i would never want to put my kids in danger. We are a growing family and i would love it if we moved into a bigger more comfortable house.

This is our living room. Not the perfect picture but my kids are always in the living room unless there outside. It combines with the kitchen. No space and its not big enough for all of our furniture. Its a quaint cozy kitchen and living room for a family of two but when there's five, theres no way.

The bathroom. Well lets just say its really small that you barely can move in it. With 5 people in the house someones always in here but luckly, he hadnt started to use the bathroom. I was standing at the door when i took this picture, so that shows the lack of space.

Like i had said before, so small. And 2 girls and one boy share 1 bedroom. I didnt plan for Weldon to have to go through this. So now that hes here i plan to change that real soon. Summer has just started so maybe in the next month we will be buying a new home.

* The Canobe family are looking for:
An open floor plan with a kitchen and living room together but are cut off with half walls or so.

* A house with atleast 3 to 4 bathrooms

* A 1 story house if possible.

* Family room or/ and office

* Backyard

* 4 or more bedrooms

* Contemporary house with room and acres to grow.

!!!House Hunters Please Help Us!!!

* I know my application may seem a little sloppy. I will be editing it all the way up to the deadline. If thats ok.

ColdFloral: Are These Pictures Any Good? If Not i will do them again.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 12:03 AM
the last pic is a tiny bit dark, but the app looks good.
#24 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 12:30 AM
Default Penny and Coleen Jacobs- Application
Penny and Coleen Jacobs

Coleen and Penny Jacobs are an active young same-sex couple ready to expand their family. Coleen is a well-known volleyball player in the community of Crystal Springs, while Penny prefers to pursue more creative endeavors. They moved into their home shortly after graduating from college, and now find the house too small for their soon-to-be-expanding family.

Penny: I'm a little bit ashamed by the bathroom... We don't even have a tub! I can hardly turn around in here.

This is the biggest design flaw for Coleen and I. The entire living space is totally open. There's no formal dining room or real "kitchen" area, and the living space itself is fairly small because of the way our house is shaped. Hmm... What else?

Oh! Right! This is my study corner/Coleen's workout room. It's a difficult space to mesh together, and I think she deserves more than a treadmill and wall mirror, and I'd prefer my own area to put in my mother's old piano. There's simply no space here.

Why do they need to move?
Coleen and Penny are in the process of adopting a toddler. Their current home has only one bedroom and a very small bathroom, and the backyard is too hilly and dangerous for a baby.

What specifics are they looking for?
Penny would like Coleen to have her own space for working out, be it a small extra room or just a designated corner in the living room. She would also like to have a study and space for her piano. Three bedrooms are a must, but four is perfectly acceptable. Penny and Coleen want room to expand. Coleen would like a pool in the backyard and gardening space for Penny. At least two bathrooms are a necessity, as is a separate kitchen and living room.

What style of architecture are they looking for?
Neither of the woman have a specific style, but they agree that they both like contemporary homes.
#25 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 3:35 AM
Alright, LazyViolet i will change that tomorrow

Page 1 of 9