Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 2:49 PM
Unfortunately I will be one of those schmucks that buys the game immediatly. Backs up the save folder and then wonders why she doesn't have space on her pc anymore...

On the plus side we get the game a bit later in South Africa so somethimes patches are out already.

I (at the moment) play a hack free game (although i'm considering getting squinge's posing hack) so I don't have clashes with hacks.

Since University (which was buggy as all hell) I haven't had any problematic glitches that exiting the lot and re-entering haven't fixed - hopefully that trend will continue (*touches wood*).

And as for graphics I have no clue! I'm still using the same card as I did when S2 first came out & haven't actually checked compatability (silly me) but haven't had too many problems yet.

I am NOT looking forward to increased loadtimes again though. . Although maybe it'll be clever tike OFB was and actually mysteriously somehow speed-up my loadtimes.

I can wish can't I.

As for content I doubt it'll disappoint because I don't expect anything from it. I expect it to be blah. So if it's even slightly interesting, I'll like it. *shrugs*
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 8:03 PM
The weather sync problem might be mitigated if they allowed us to turn it on and off, and to choose the current season. That way, if you played through summer, fall, and got to winter on one lot, then you could choose where to start on another lot.

I will probably be getting In Season but I certainly won't blink in its direction until InSim is updated for it. I can live without some hacks but not InSim. And I guess it's a lucky thing my boyfriend is going to get me a new graphics card for Xmas....

Come read my first Sims story in ages (for TS4): http://msrebeccawest.tumblr.com/
Forum Resident
#53 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skylark
On the plus side we get the game a bit later in South Africa so somethimes patches are out already.

No True!!! The game was available in SA before our American counterparts got them! Yes, if you buy at the local mall you will wait weeks longer. PM me and I will tell you where I get my games locally.

I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 1:21 AM
I for one am really excited about In Season.

Outdoor activities, the ability to live off the land, the ability to won more than one lot (my rich sims and families can aspire to own vacation homes - maybe they can even earn money by opening resorts or renting out vacation homes!), enjoying every season, facing the hassles and challenges that come with unpredictable weather (maybe there will be tornadoes and floods and power outages!)... it sounds like it will really add spontaneity to the game, and I really like it when someone throws a monkey wrench into my sims' carefully laid plans. It makes things more fun.

Despite my excitement, I do agree that the expansion packs are coming too quickly. I'd like to see Maxis take more time with them and really get them right. I just bought Pets last week and I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, so I haven't made up my mind about that pack. I do wish we had farm animals and wild animals (like horses and bears) in addition to domestic animals. Wouldn't it be fun to have to train a horse to be able to ride it? Wouldn't it be scary to have bears or snakes or other dangerous animals pose unique risks? I like the pet jobs, but I also wish Pets allowed for dog and cat shows. You all have good points about the areas in which Maxis needs improvement.

Basically, I'm on board with a lot of the criticism, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about In Season. Despite their faults, Maxis has provided us with a great game. I plan to keep on giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Think yourself lucky they didn't decide to call it "The Sims - On Heat"

Haha, I am glad I am not the only one who thought that!!

I am not so fussed with this one. I will probably get it, but not go out of my way to get it on the day of release. I did that with Pets and it was more hassle than it was worsth.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 9:54 PM
I probably won't get it right way. Better to wait for others to play around with it first, and if there are problems I won't get any nasty surprises.
Test Subject
#57 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 2:00 AM
we really don't have a lot to go on just yet...

i almost wish maxis wouldn't announce the new packs so early, and wait until they could give us some concrete detalis about the pack... i hate all this speculation, but its like a train wreck - i just can't look away.

you assume that when you buy an expansion pack, you can have a bit of stability in your game ie. just play and enjoy it without thinking about getting ready for a new ep.

i know i did that with pets... a whole generation of teenagers' growth was halted as i waited for pets to come out so i could endow them with little catties and doggies.

oohhh frustration and speculation! damn you maxis... damn you

.......random
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 3:33 PM
I'll probably buy it. :3 I bought Pets, and I'm aiming to get OFB and the Stuff Packs for Christmas. Plus, I'd love to see seasons in my game. It makes things more realistic. :3 I just wish there was a way to make ash fall to the ground in my Silent Hill neighborhood. XD That'd rule. But yeah, I'd like seasons in my game. :3
EDIT: Actually, I might wait until InSim is updated for it. I can't live without my InSim. *still waiting for it to be fully updated for Pets* I wanna be able to change sim-pet and pet-pet relationships. XD
#59 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 3:54 PM
Well I'm definitely going to buy it. It's an expansion and I won't be able to resist it.

I think it's a great idea and I'm glad that they finally figured out how to make weather. It certainly will add to the realism of the game but I don't think it will be extremely exciting. But for me, I have been pleased with all the expansions they have came out with including the EPs from Sims 1. I wasn't very hyped about the idea with nightlife but it ended up being pretty cool. They haven't let me down yet. I really hope this EP is as good as the rest...
Test Subject
#60 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 10:23 PM
I have to get it. People will make things that HAVE to have this pack...and i wont be able to download them. If it wernt for custom content i wouldnt have gotten pets at all.

If people could read my mind they would go slowly insane....O__o
#61 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 12:49 AM
True, Saria Crossing.Its gets complicated to download things unless you have the EP:s. Clothes that are from the meshes, or objects that are made/based on maxis stuff from the expansions. Its not always obvious, depending on the site, what stuff is required. So its kinda easier to buy the EP:s, from that point of view. I will buy all of them, regardless, cause it has somewhat become a part of my life.To a point where my husband asks when "the new EP:s coming" (hes not a simmer), just so he can buy it for me. (easy way out, doesnt have to think of a better gift ).I didnt think I wanted cars and I didndt think I needed Pets, but still I bought them, and now I couldnt live without fancy custom cars or cute kittens.I even like Uni. I play it more often now,than when it came out.
Weather will, at worst, slow down the game.
Test Subject
#62 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 5:27 AM
I too am sure that weather will slow down the game, but probaly at it's worst only slow it down like it would if you have a nanny, gardner, maid & the fire department & your husband leaving for work all at once. Too many cars slow it down, but think of that as a hail storm? I am looking forward to the game but I have some worries about what it will do to my existing game : /
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 1:13 AM
I originally said that I was'nt interested in this expansion, but after going on the website and reading what EA said was in it(like all the old good jobs from sims1, and a lot of aspects from vacation) I have seriously changed my mind. I have to have it!!! plus the whole sunburn and colds and stuff is really cool....i just hope the weather does not make it so much slower. The old pool slide is something to look forward to also
Test Subject
#64 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 5:02 AM
I've always wanted weather in The Sims... and this really makes me happy. I was really excited the moment I first heard about it, and now unbelievably I'm more excited. The amount of detail put into the game is exactly what I want... and it will more then likely be my favorite EP ever... The past few sure haven't been that great. >.>
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sayyadina
my husband asks when "the new EP:s coming" (hes not a simmer), just so he can buy it for me. (easy way out, doesnt have to think of a better gift ).

My hubby is like that--he usually is the one to research it so he can budget for it accordingly. So sweet of him, considering he despises the game because he thinks I'm "obsessed" with it. So not true...
#66 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 5:33 AM
Wow, the new expansion sounds incredible... almost like a Sims3, it seems as though there's so much tweaking to the game engines themselves!
#67 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 6:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kismetrose
The weather sync problem might be mitigated if they allowed us to turn it on and off, and to choose the current season. That way, if you played through summer, fall, and got to winter on one lot, then you could choose where to start on another lot.

I read that while in a house, all the next door ones look the same season even if they're not, so it won't be TOO bad... no bahamas in the background of your christmas cards.

*sighs* of course this'll delay my Rent project... Christmas Bells will be better with actual snow... so much for a release date of spring 07...
Test Subject
#68 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 9:29 AM
haven´t been checking the in season forum lately - and now i´m surprised and amazed (just followed all the links to the screenshots from the facts-thread). :D

ok, i had a hunch that it could be a good EP - and meanwhile i think it could be the best ep so far. there was one thing everyone wished for when ts2 came out - it was weather and later it was pets. seasons looks great.

well, we´ll see when it´s out - and it will be bought on the launch-date (27th february allready....? wow, not long to wait...).
Field Researcher
#69 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 11:20 AM
At first I wasn't so sure about this EP, because I thought they weren't going to add much more than weather, but after reading through the news pages on it, I'm sold. Lets hope they're not going to disappoint us with this one!

And it comes out in February? That's not too bad of a wait, either! I can live with that!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#70 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 11:24 AM
What I want to know is, if they are in their pajamas when they go outside in the snow, will they put their coat on *over* the nightclothes, or get dressed first?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#71 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 12:31 PM
Inge, outdoor outfits are like all others, they simply replace whatever the sim is wearing, like casual, formal and undies do right now. They are entire outfits. There are no 'coats'. So they'll spin from pjs into outerwear, if I understand all the nuances of the game behavior. You can turn the auto-outerwear off, btw, if you want your sims to go outside in foul weather in whatever they're wearing. The outerwear clothing is only for cold weather, they'll wear it in the winter and fall, from what I know.
Field Researcher
#72 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 12:59 PM
Just entering this thread for the first time ... Um ... Well ...

I'm excited. Who wouldn't be for a new Sims 2 expansion pack, especially one that involves weather and seasons and all that these things entail.

However ... how will the new animations of weather, the rain, the snow, etc. affect our current computer systems?

What kind of bugs will this new aspect of the game entail? I recall a long time ago when the original game first came out ... they tried seasons, and what happened? It rained INSIDE the houses.

I'm cautiously excited ... if my system has the specs ... I'll get more excited. :O)
Top Secret Researcher
#73 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 10:26 PM
I'm soverysuperduperextraallyoucaneat happy about this EP but I just thought about something. I love how the temperature outside will affect the sim and they'll need to wear outerwear so where does this leave custom content clothes? Will the outerwear be able to be worn over custom clothing or will we be forced to wear Maxis clothing? I'm sure a hack will be released after Seasons is released that eliminates the need to wear outerwear period but I was just wondering.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Field Researcher
#74 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 1:47 AM
Quote:
I recall a long time ago when the original game first came out ... they tried seasons, and what happened? It rained INSIDE the houses.

Which is why we're getting it now and not when the original game came out.

This looks the best expansion yet! Pets was a massive dissapointment, when it was pets and pets ONLY. Nothing else. Not only does this bring Weather in, but we get gardening, the pool is made intresting (apparently instead of Marco Polo, they yell Tim, LeTourneo! Heh) THE SLIDE IS BACK! YAY!

It just looks awesome. I think I need more RAM though.

Apparently the seasons will be done locally, so I hope that means us Aussies get Autumn! Fall sounds wrong to my ears. Awesome touch Maxis!

ETAApparently we're getting new badges as well (fishing and gardening) I love the fact they build on previous expansions.

Also, yay! for new careers. I love quality custom content, but the custom careers have never appealed to me (though there are some awesome ones out there) so I'm glad Maxis have decided to give us new ones.

I noticed one of the new career rewards, the Bookcase which lets you learn every skill by reading (I'm assuming from Education) is exactly like a custom objcet that was made in the Sims1. I'm glad they take the good ideas from the community.

Also sports look to be slowly coming back in. If we could get the basketball court, I would be happy as well!
Instructor
#75 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 1:57 AM
Well, I said that I wouldn't buy it right off the shelves like I did Pets, buuut now that I know more about it, I probably will! I just hope they don't let us down... they keep releasing expansions faster and faster!
Page 3 of 6