Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 12:16 AM Last edited by NimaSims : 25th Jan 2022 at 7:04 AM.
Default Which Pre-made Sims Had You Change Their Primary Aspiration?
Just wanted to see if anyone has changed a pre-made sim primary aspiration, and what the reason could be?

I've so far only did Daniel, from romance to family, because I uhm- thought it was an interesting development of the character. I also just kinda was sorry for Mary Sue, even though people do say that they played favorites in with their twins and I think that's what EA is implying (I think it's not out right stated they do it). Though, both kids I noticed have low relationship with their parents interestingly enough.

I'm thought of Natasha Una aspiration, because the grilled cheese is so repetitive, but I decided another route, made her move in with Nina and Kaylynn and make enemies with anyone who doesn't accept her, and it's become much interesting to me, because I love how this unfolds. Don didn't accept her grilled cheese ways, and she kept fighting him when Nina or Kaylynn has him over (both involved with him, Kaylynn had his kid also)

I also was thinking of Gilbert Jaquet, but I'm not sure, he just has a lot of nice points so I don't think someone like him would go around intentionally breaking hearts, but maybe I can think of something to do about it. Maybe he's more of a hopeless romantic than the heartbreaker, I can see him settling down and having a family one day.

Oh, I had almost forgotten to mention a big part of Bella Goth in my game. In my mind- Bella isn't originally a romance sim, rather a popularity sim due to the Roth in the neighborhood having be the same aspiration with their counterparts. However, since he abduction, she has forgotten who she is, and perhaps aliens are monitoring Bella and told her to 'go around town' for their research, PT9 also being involved though he is in his retirement, I just added a 'hearing device' in a secret room.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 1:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NimaSims
I also was thinking of Gilbert Jaquet, but I'm not sure, he just has a lot of nice points so I don't think someone like him would go around intentionally breaking hearts

I feel like this is a limitation of the aspirations, because I would agree that not all romance sims seem like the sleep around type. I feel like Gilbert would be something closer to the soulmate asp in ts4 as opposed to the serial romantic which is Don Lothario among other romance sims.

That being said, no I've never changed a premade's aspiration, but this is where I utilize secondary aspirations to give them a bit more if their primary aspiration doesn't fully suit them. Sorry to be boring and not have, hopefully someone who has comments so you'll get more exciting replies.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 2:31 AM
Only one so far -- and it's the opposite way to you. Nancy Philippine, a Family townie teen from Veronaville changed to Romance, because her partner, Gerard Paton, an adult Romance Sim from CAS wanted an open relationship. Actually their relationship started out with a mistake on my part. I omitted to change a setting on a mod, and they started making out autonomously when they were both visiting another lot. Well, since they' clearly shown a liking for each other, I decided to run with it. Before long she had moved in with him. Now it so happened that Nancy had a little brother Scot (a Veronaville child townie with the same surname) and he soon moved in too.

To be honest I quite enjoy playing Romance Sims, and have quite a lot of them in my game. I really don't want all my Sims to settle down and have children. After all, I've never done that, so why should they? In general, and in particular in Veronaville, I play a wide variety of households, so I get a lot of variety in my gameplay, without having to go to a different 'hood -- far less a different game.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 5:17 AM
Like AndrewGloria, I think I've only changed primary aspiration for a premade sim once - for General Buzz Grunt. At least in my game, he's obsessed with this image of himself and his family that he wants them all to live up to (not that his first three sons did, one way or another) and that didn't work with a Popularity sim who wanted everyone to be friends with him (though "popularity" in some sense does still drive him - just a selective sort of popularity). So he became a Family sim.

For the original examples, I would say that there are different types of romance sim (just as there are different types of any particular aspiration), and "romance" is not necessarily incompatible with "nice". A few examples of different romance sims from my game:
- Chloe Curious is probably most traditional, since she likes lots of one-night-stands and isn't interested in continuing relationships (except occasionally she cycles back round to an old one). Yes, she probably does break some hearts - but I figure she lets everyone know what she's looking for, and she doesn't sleep with married/ partnered men.
- Philip Grunt (aka Ripp) likes having multiple lovers at once, though he dates them one at a time. They're mostly romance sims, so they're perfectly happy with the situation (I have a mod that make jealousy a bit more sensible). So far, the only heart that's been broken in Philip's - one of his girlfriends (the only one who's popularity rather than romance or pleasure) dumped him to start a monogamous relationship with his little brother Brian.
- Peter Ottomas is keen on romance, and did once have an affair (with Bella Goth), but quickly realised that his one true love is Samantha. Whenever their kids leave them time, he's jumping into bed with her, but he's also a devoted dad and likes playing with the kids (he's family secondary). Apart from the odd want to "woohoo 3 different sims" or whatever directed at no-one in particular, he only wants his wife.
- Marielle Wilson was a badly behaved romance sim, since she got married to Francis Worthington III and continued to have multiple affairs. Then she got caught and got divorced, and has been doing some thinking about her behaviour. Now she's started a household for romance sims, where they all have romantic relationships with each other but there are no secrets about it - if you're married and want to get involved, both spouses have to be keen on the idea.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 5:46 AM
Romance sims can be quite nice and not go around breaking hearts depending on how you play them. Mods that tweak the way jealousy works in the game, allowing for more casual relationships, help too. Gilbert always seemed to me like a "free love" kind of guy who would be open with his various flings about not wanting to settle down.
They can even be quite happy in a committed relationship with just the one person. With a secondary to give them some want variety, and plenty of woohoo & romance with their partner, that sort of Romance sim could be someone whose thoughts sometimes stray, but they stick with their lover.

I was about to say I haven't changed premades' aspirations, but you mentioned Natasha Una, I nearly forgot about her. I changed her aspiration when I played her too, because I find grilled cheese wants too samey. I made her Knowledge with a grilled cheese secondary, instead.

One thing that bugs me a little about not changing premades' Aspirations is that, because Pleasure was introduced in Nightlife, if you play the basegame hoods you have no Pleasure sims premade. The mismatch is kind of weird. Because I roll a die to choose aspirations when kids age to teen, it means that only the new generation have the potential to be Pleasure focused. But at the same time, switching primary aspirations feels like it changes the sim too much and I don't want to alter the premades that far.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 12:48 PM
I have many times. Recently (as in a year ago lol), I changed Heather Huffington's aspiration to Popularity; she seemed more like a popularity Sim to me. And I turned Ashley Pitts to Fortune, cuz I can see him as someone who LOVES money. Mostly because Romance is my least favorite aspiration and I can only stand playing one romance sim in a hood at once. Just too much relationship building isn't my cup of tea, and romance interactions just get repetitive IMO.

When I first played 2 six years ago, I pretty much made all romance sims in pleasantview Knowledge lol. That was my fave at the time. And because I wanted marriages and my fave couples to work without cheating. Because I'm a sucker for perfect couples tbh.

In Pleasantview, when I re-played it five years ago, I made Nina Knowledge because I just didn't see a shy sim really being about romance. Don, I made him a Family sim because he got Dina pregnant, and in my "headcanon" I planned out in 2015 in my first play through, Don fell in love with his and Dina's first ever child Maria (he didn't know about her until he heard her crying in Nina's old room) and then he wanted to change for the better and be a good father. Because I'm a dork like that. Daniel, I don't remember, but I know I changed him as well. Herb Oldie, I made him a Family sim to match Coral because his relationship with her was too adorable to "mess up" with cheating lol.

I think when I played Strangetown six years ago, I *think* I made Ripp Grunt a Pleasure sim, if I recall, but I'm not sure.

I only ever change Romance it seems. I only keep sims as romance if I have no pre-set fave couple for them and just don't know what to do with them lol.

But I did keep Peter Ottomas Romance, but gave him Family as secondary. He never once rolled the want for affairs after that lol.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 1:57 PM
Lazlo Curious strikes me as less Knowledge oriented than his brothers, so I always make him a Pleasure sim. That usually results in him and Crystal Vu splitting up eventually.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 4:45 PM
I don't like to change their aspirations unless I really really can not see it which is rare as I just go by what they start as. However I could not for the life of me see Lilith Pleasant as popularity, so I rerolled Lilith's and got Knowledge primary and secondary family. I'm not sure if I did anyone else.

My Simblr
He/They
Forum Resident
#9 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 5:15 PM
Hmm... I don't think I do that often. I always give Ripp and Nina secondary Family to represent them being a soul mate type of Romance sim.

In my custom hood, Crystal Lake, I changed Downtownie teen Rose Miller's aspiration to Popularity to give her more chemistry with the Paper Boy for story reasons; I'm unsure what I was doing there. And in that same hood, I made Heather Huffington a Fortune sim and I forgot why.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 7:06 PM
I've done it twice that I can remember.

Once was more calculated: I turned Sanjay Ramaswami into a Family sim, and left Priya as a Popularity sim. I lasted one round playing them both as Popularity sims and got so bored I had to do something to spice it up (this was before I'd installed ACR and many other mods vital to my gameplay of course) because they literally felt like clones of one another-- wanting the same friends, the same desires to win contests-- it just wasn't interesting at all after a certain point. Sanjay as a Family sim also felt more natural to me since he (at least in my mind) is a more traditional man in an arranged marriage to Priya, and they're in Riverblossom Hills for different reasons, but still love each other all the same. Priya wants to expand her social circle and meet people outside of her household, and to experience new things in a small town, while Sanjay wants to turn their house into a home, and put down roots somewhere quiet and have little adventures with his family. After the change they became much more romantically involved, had three kids, and lived happily until they both died of old age and my Riverblossom Hills became corrupted. If I ever play them or RIverblossom Hills again, he's starting out as a family sim. Rarely does having a premade couple with exactly the same aspiration, especially when they're popularity sims, ever work for me.

The other time was more flippant, and done back when I was a small one getting into Sims 2 for the first time. I turned Don Lothario into a Family sim after making a female clone of himself to get married to (in that version of events, Nina was happily chugging along as a Romance sim, raising her sister's bastard child with the maid Remington, and Dina died from a cowplant incident) because I was getting very bored of sending him on dates and woohooing after he eventually ran out of townies to impress. He ended up having a child with this lady, Alejandro, and when he was born I killed the female Don with a satellite because she got boring too. He was then left to raise Alejandro in an apartment (the condo had bad satellite related memories) and was basically a struggling single father trying to do right by his son after so many years of irresponsability, and took the opportunity to reinvent himself. He raised Alejandro well, eventually reconciled with Nina and his daugther with her, Katrina, and moved in with them when Alejandro went off to college. After this I reconciled with changing his aspiration and turned him back into a Romance sim, and let him and Nina have an open marriage type of situation until they both died of old age. Ultimately I like where it ended up going, but I wouldn't do it again. Nowadays I don't like changing aspirations unless there are some serious circumstances involved.

Bonus story, though not really a premade sim technically: Belle Brooks, genderswapped version of Beau Broke, was turned into a Popularity sim upon her teenage birthday, and immediately when to woohoo with the eldest child of genderswapped Cassandra and Don, Estavo, who was according to my aging system, 12. This felt weird and wrong to me, so I quickly separated them and vowed to never let them be together because of dubious consent. She found a mildly attractive romantic partner in genderswapped Meadow Thayer, but after moving her out on her own, she suffered a series of terrible events I can barely remember. That, combined with her lackluster aspiration as a Popularity sim, left her seeing the Therapist several times. Around that point, I was incidentally looking at Beau Broke's wiki page, only to realize he had the hidden Knowledge aspiration token. I had followed this convention for genderswapped Alex and Lucy, but totally forgot that Beau had one too. I came to see this, combined with her constant visits with the therapist, was her version of a mental breakdown, and so I changed her aspiration immediately to Knowledge. This reduced her chemistry with her now-husband Matthew (Meadow) and after a makeover and scenery change, courtesy of Matthew's money, moved them to the more isolated side of the neighborhood, down a winding road, to a house that was modeled very directly after Olive Spector's house. She then, in her deteriorated state, locked Matthew in the closet until he starved to death, only to realize she was pregnant with his child. She gave birth to twins, put up a massive enclosing fence around her property, and did her best isolated from the world raising her twins Chris and Ingrid. The twins grew up badly and socially immature (Chris was a naive dreamer and Ingrid was an angry bully), but right before they went off to college Belle wound up circumstantially meeting Estavo while I was playing another household on a community lot, and that spark of love was still there. When I went to check her relationship she now had three bolts with him, and they were now both adults who had never really found health, happiness, or success in their lives (he was pushing thirty and couch-surfing, his position as Goth heir given to his far more responsible sister), and so I let them be together. They're now both elders, had two kids of their own, are happily married, and Belle has slowly remodeled her treacherous house to be more open and friendly with the rest of the world. After 60 years of trying to find peace and love, she's gotten it, and I'm very glad they've both found each other once again.