Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Postal Package Editor (and API)

by Echo Posted 9th Aug 2009 at 3:27 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:14 PM by Nysha

162 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 151 Feedback Posts, 10 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 7
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 12:58 PM
senemm, I expect there is a mesh, but I'm not sure where to find it either. What you can try is File > Search Filepath, then type MLOD (or MODL, but probably not GEOM, they're body meshes) into the "type" field and click search. Once you get a list of all the MLODs, you can get Postal to show you their names by going to Workspace > Show Nmap Names. It might make it a bit easier to tell what you're looking at/for.
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 3:42 PM Last edited by Claire DC : 6th Sep 2009 at 4:25 PM.
Ignore me, I believe I am an idiot haha. x
Scholar
#53 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 8:25 AM Last edited by Jasumi : 9th Sep 2009 at 8:49 AM.
When I try to install this program, it shoots me an error: "This directory can not be written."

I am running on x64 Windows Vista.

EDIT

Per my suspicions, it 8is because Vista does not allow .Jar files access into Program Files. Turning off UAC fixed this issue.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 9:57 AM
Jasumi, yes, you're absolutely correct. You can install Postal to another location though, that way you can leave UAC turned on.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 2:53 AM
hello corredt filepath to sims 3 installation what does that mean.thx
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 8:44 AM
You need to tell the program where your Sims 3 is installed. The default path is probably the most likely place for it to be.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 1:20 PM
Version 0.8 has now been released
You can download it from SourceForge using the link in the first post ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/postal-sims3 )

Details of the changes are as follows:

API Changes
- CAS Part parsing
- Rewrite of the GEOM parsing
- Back end read/write of complates, package manifests and pattern lists
- Back end compression code

GUI Changes
- Rework of the GEOM 3d preview. Previews now render with their overlaid greyscale textures, and should work on all operating systems without native libraries.
- Created .exe wrappers for the Postal application, installer, and debug mode. This should make it less confusing for Windows users to start Postal
- Set up Postal command line to accept file paths as parameters. This means that you can right click on a package in explorer and select "Open With", "Postal", and have Postal start up with the file open straight away.
- Read-only view of CAS Parts

General bug fixes
- Fixed an issue where, if you added a new resource to an empty package, you could not edit it without saving and re-opening the file
- Fixed an issue on Windows machines with custom file dialog icons, which would make the file picker window stop working
- As part of the GEOM rework, removed a lot of native 3d rendering libraries, reducing the size of the application by about a third.
Forum Resident
#58 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 8:24 PM
Hi echo, I knew you would do something phenomenal. Thank you so much!!!!

If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, then what about an empty desk?

My stuff may be used in uploads if 1. Credit is given, 2. link to my page provided. Happy simming!
McAlli's page
Test Subject
#59 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 3:04 AM
Alright, want to use this. Can't open/install. It didn't have a default exe to open it with, so i updated my java. tried java.exe, tried javaaw.exe, made sure the justsched.exe was running before i tried it, and... still no dice. It tells me it cannot find the main class. I took a java class once upon a time, i didn't do too well.. so.. I don't trust my judgement when it comes to java. Any idea how i get this installed so I can actually use it.

*reads above comment* Neeeevermind! *downloads, tries again, success! Hooray! Jubilation!*
Test Subject
#60 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 5:05 PM
Hi, this is a very useful program.
I have a question. Is there a way to preview the package image? For example I wanted to open some of my .package hair files that I want to delete from the game but I can't preview them so I don't know which is which. Is there a way to preview them with postal? The dds preview doesn't help identify them as they would look in cas.
Thanks
Top Secret Researcher
#61 Old 21st Sep 2009 at 7:08 AM
Can Postal import a PNG or DDS file to simply replace texture of an object? S3PE can do that, but it can not preview anything, so it makes things complicated. The Import PNG button is grayed out. Did I do something wrong?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 21st Sep 2009 at 10:20 AM
Hi tomomi,

It can certainly import a DDS, but at the moment the PNG import is a little bit unpredictable so I've disabled it.

To import a DDS image, click over to the "Hex View" tab and click "import". Find your DDS image, then click the "Open" button. All done! You can jump back to the "Image" tab to check everything went fine.

I really should add an "Import DDS" option to the main image pane. I'll put it on my to-do list! :D

Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Can Postal import a PNG or DDS file to simply replace texture of an object? S3PE can do that, but it can not preview anything, so it makes things complicated. The Import PNG button is grayed out. Did I do something wrong?

ericabain, I'm not sure what you mean by "preview". If you mean custom GEOM (body) meshes, then yes, you can preview them by selecting the GEOM file from the and clicking the "3D preview" button. Textures (DDS and PNG) can be previewed just by opening them. I haven't written any handling code for 3d object meshes yet, so they can't be previewed at all. If you want the ability to preview all your package files with thumbnails of their content though, then no, it can't do that.
Test Subject
#63 Old 29th Sep 2009 at 1:53 AM
I and my Mac thank you for this very much, and I have 1 question. Can this be used to edit funds of families not yet placed in the neighborhood? Like in SimPE you could edit funds of any family, so can this do that as well?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 29th Sep 2009 at 2:24 AM
jbyrns, unfortunately this tool is meant for editing general game files, not really for editing neighbourhood files. As such, I don't think you can really edit families with this easily.
Sockpuppet
#65 Old 30th Sep 2009 at 5:09 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 30th Sep 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Thank you so much!!

A few questions tho
Is it possible to delete lines from a package, lets say a complete DSS file?
Can i edit the CAS part data XML? like changing links to files or delete them?....It doesn't work double clicking the lines(popup window appears) and edit/import/export or commiting changes.
Changes i try to make(changing instance number or such) never get applied.

Thnx again!!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 12:38 AM
The CAS Part data view is strictly read-only at the moment, because the file isn't *just* xml, there are a lot of other things which have to be kept in sync and that logic hasn't been written you.

I haven't got an option to remove something from a package at the moment, but I will add it.

Changing instance numbers should work fine, as long as you "commit" after changing them.
Sockpuppet
#67 Old 1st Oct 2009 at 7:40 AM
Thank you.
Test Subject
#68 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 4:43 AM
so you can use this tool to edit what the billboards say! yay!

ElJamo

Hope you have a good day ;) I'm in Australia so I am probably sleeping :D
Add Bacon???
Test Subject
#69 Old 26th Oct 2009 at 9:28 PM
Hi
Can you change text descriptions with this tool? Or is there something simpler and better for this purpose?
Test Subject
#70 Old 5th Nov 2009 at 11:00 PM
Hey guys,
I tried installing this tool on my Windows Vista 64 but I doesn't work... I already updated Java and tried installing the tool with the .jar-program. It still says that i need JRE 1.6.0_06...

Could someone help me with that? Any idea?

Sorry for bothering...
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#71 Old 6th Nov 2009 at 2:24 AM
Betty Lou, do you know what version of Java you do have installed? At what point is it failing?
Test Subject
#72 Old 7th Nov 2009 at 8:25 PM
Is there a way to find out the hair package related to a ".sim" file with this tool?

I downloaded a few ready made sims which require custom hair. Is a reference to the original hair package hidden in the .sim file at all?
Thanks
Test Subject
#73 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 2:45 AM
I don't get this program started... I've updated Java and then installed the program without problems, but when I try to start it, nothing happens (except of the typical windows error-sound). I even don't get a message about something going wrong.
- I have Windows XP

(sorry for bad English)
Test Subject
#74 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 12:28 AM
Hey Echo! Thank you very much for the program, it looks like it will be a great one. However, I've hit a bit of an impasse.

I'll start off by saying that I'm a complete noob and to make matters worse I'm on a Mac. I believe that I've gotten the program installed correctly, I've followed the directions that other helpful users have posted in this thread (went into packageeditorconfig and changed those settings) but now I can't get the console to open.

When I click "Plugins/Open Console" I'll get a progress bar, it fills up, then nothing happens, only the hogging of a lot of resources... The strangest thing is, before I fixed the packageeditorconfig file I would get a ton of errors but eventually the console would open. I couldn't do anything in it but it was open.

I can open existing .package files but I haven't been able to create my own, and I believe this is probably because that is done in the console part of the program. (Am I right on that one?) I've tried the "New Package" option but that doesn't let me do anything afterwards. So for the time being, I'm stuck just looking at other people's .package files and making my own edits which don't seem to be working. I've read several threads but haven't been able to make any real progress. Can you offer any suggestions?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 2:53 AM
Hi Jizzy,

You're very welcome, and I'm glad you got it (mostly) working!

Because I don't have a Mac and it's illegal to emulate it on my PC, I unfortunately can't really test anything there myself. I'll do my best to help though!

How are you starting Postal? Are you using the .sh script, or just double clicking the jar file. If it's the latter, which one are you using?
Page 3 of 7