Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Ethan Allen Colonial Bedroom Set

by Ambular Posted 28th Nov 2008 at 4:16 PM - Updated 14th Mar 2009 at 1:45 AM by AmberDiceless : Server asplodied! Fixed files.

94 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 80 Feedback Posts, 13 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Mistress of architectural mishaps
retired moderator
#26 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 7:45 AM
Simply beautiful! Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful work with the rest of us!

Retired from Simming
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 5:46 PM
Excellent set, well-executed. Like many here, I have similar furniture, and your rendition is beautiful. Following is a playtest report:

Game setup: TS2, Uni, NL, and OFB, all patched.

The base game beds and mirrors all work fine. All the other furniture pieces show up and work without a glitch. All recolors work. I'm glad to see the beds actually do have comfort/energy levels matching what the catalogue entry says. Many custom beds do not.

There are two problems. The table lamps and recolors do not work in this setup. All four show as solid purple. Placing and then clicking to recolor does not work, either.

The bedding also does not show up. All three recolors are solid white in this setup. I wonder if bedding as well as beds have to be tailored to pre-and-post Pets configurations?

Other than these problems, this is one custom set that works fine (for a change) in this primitive game configuration. Many thanks.

Now, how about the living room?

-- Mal

"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 7:34 PM
I can't wait to see this in my game! You did an amazing job on this set. My mother had the nightstands and a single bed from EA, they look very similar to these, except white. I've always loved that furniture, and wish I could find it again.

Thank you so much, you obviously put quite a bit of effort into this!
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 1:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by malthaussen
Excellent set, well-executed. Like many here, I have similar furniture, and your rendition is beautiful. Following is a playtest report:

Game setup: TS2, Uni, NL, and OFB, all patched.

The base game beds and mirrors all work fine. All the other furniture pieces show up and work without a glitch. All recolors work. I'm glad to see the beds actually do have comfort/energy levels matching what the catalogue entry says. Many custom beds do not.

There are two problems. The table lamps and recolors do not work in this setup. All four show as solid purple. Placing and then clicking to recolor does not work, either.

The bedding also does not show up. All three recolors are solid white in this setup. I wonder if bedding as well as beds have to be tailored to pre-and-post Pets configurations?

Other than these problems, this is one custom set that works fine (for a change) in this primitive game configuration. Many thanks.

Now, how about the living room?

-- Mal

Thanks for the detailed report, and I'm glad most of the items work well for you!

Fixing the comfort and energy levels in beds is a bit tricky; the levels reported in the catalog description and the actual code that governs the bed's behavior are stored in two different places in the file, so it's an easy mistake to make. I did my best to avoid as many of those little pitfalls as I possibly could, so it's really nice to see that people have noticed. :D

Re. the table lamp and beddings, I was aware of the purple-texture problem but had thought it only occured with pre-NL installations. I loaded them all up with Numenor's BaseGameStarter to double-check, and they all seem to work fine for me in a configuration similar to yours, so I'm not sure what could be the problem. Do you have the latest CEP installed?

As far as the living room goes...we'll see. I do have some 'extras' I want to put together for the bedroom set, but I don't have any actual objects to use as a template for other types of furniture; it would all be guesswork, unless I can manage to track down some pictures (which I was unable to do with the bedroom set. The vanity and floor mirror I pretty much just made up to match as best I could.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#30 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 6:01 AM
Nice white recolor of this set by nengi65 at Sims Crossing:

http://simscrossing.net/index.php?topic=2257.0
Test Subject
#31 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 10:18 PM
I won't be downloading (I'm trying to clean out my Downloads folder at the moment), but I just wanted to say this set is BEAUTIFUL! Awesome attention to detail!
Test Subject
#32 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 2:01 AM
This set is awsome i love it, you did a great job.
thank you.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#33 Old 17th Dec 2008 at 10:36 PM
I am in awe - this is beautiful, and I LOVE the curtains - perfect, just perfect.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 19th Dec 2008 at 10:13 PM
Updated playtest report:

I installed Seasons and Freetime the other day, and put th lamps and bedding back in (and changed the beds and mirrors over), and everything works perfectly. The lights do still show the purple texture in the catalogue, but when they are placed they show as they should. This was not the case in the previous installation.

The three beddings were pure white and "exploded" in the previous installation, but are now as they should be. I don't know what caused either problem. The CEP has not been changed, so it wasn't that. Possibly just one of those gremlins that show up from time to time as a peculiarity of some hardware configuration? Or, though I hesitate to say it, maybe Numenor's BaseGameStarter doesn't quite match my hardware. I've had problems with other sets that work fine for their creators in the BaseGameStarter but still didn't work in my configuration, including, e.g., Adele's sets (which now work just beautifully, hooray!). It is a very weird thing, but now that I have these new EPs, perhaps my troubles are over. Well, until people start putting out lots of AL-specific stuff.

We used to have a big old vinyl and wood recliner by Ethan Allen, and still have an end table by them. And a dining room set as well -- my mother was crazy about their furniture, although she never did get the cobbler's bench or dry sink she wanted. Be nice to have pieces like that in the Sims...

-- Mal

"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 22nd Dec 2008 at 5:24 AM Last edited by AmberDiceless : 5th Jan 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by malthaussen
Updated playtest report:

I installed Seasons and Freetime the other day, and put th lamps and bedding back in (and changed the beds and mirrors over), and everything works perfectly. The lights do still show the purple texture in the catalogue, but when they are placed they show as they should. This was not the case in the previous installation.

The three beddings were pure white and "exploded" in the previous installation, but are now as they should be. I don't know what caused either problem. The CEP has not been changed, so it wasn't that. Possibly just one of those gremlins that show up from time to time as a peculiarity of some hardware configuration? Or, though I hesitate to say it, maybe Numenor's BaseGameStarter doesn't quite match my hardware. I've had problems with other sets that work fine for their creators in the BaseGameStarter but still didn't work in my configuration, including, e.g., Adele's sets (which now work just beautifully, hooray!). It is a very weird thing, but now that I have these new EPs, perhaps my troubles are over. Well, until people start putting out lots of AL-specific stuff.

We used to have a big old vinyl and wood recliner by Ethan Allen, and still have an end table by them. And a dining room set as well -- my mother was crazy about their furniture, although she never did get the cobbler's bench or dry sink she wanted. Be nice to have pieces like that in the Sims...

-- Mal

Thanks for the update! Oooh, the beddings asploded before? I bet I know the problem...the Material Definition probably has a setting the game didn't like. If I get many other reports of the same thing happening I'll see if I can fix that, but since it seems to be working for you right now I am going to be lazy and put it off, at least until after the holidays.

You can refresh the catalog thumbnail by pressing CTRL while right-clicking on the thumbnail, btw. I'm still baffled as to what caused the purple texture problem, but I'm glad to hear that has also been resolved.

I hunted around and did manage to find some suitable pictures of living room furniture I can use as guidelines. Turns out I should have been searching for "traditional" rather than "colonial" furniture. With any luck I should eventually have at least a few more pieces to add.

Thanks again for the feedback, and I hope you're enjoying the holidays!
shiny!
retired moderator
#36 Old 30th Dec 2008 at 10:38 PM
I tested your set and had no problems with the bedding or lamps.. I wonder if the items just didn't download properly for the other user. There's no reason for bedding to work in some expansions and not others. The lamps.. I'm not sure how to explain. The only problem I did have is this:

Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 31st Dec 2008 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
I tested your set and had no problems with the bedding or lamps.. I wonder if the items just didn't download properly for the other user. There's no reason for bedding to work in some expansions and not others. The lamps.. I'm not sure how to explain. The only problem I did have is this:

Well, the lamps were a known issue, just not one I expected with that particular game configuration. I have heard of one other case of exploding bedding; apparently certain settings in the Material Definition can disagree with certain video cards.

I've had similar issues with the picture frame icon; try holding down the shift key and right-clicking the image and see if that fixes it. If not, my apologies; I'm not sure how to fix it. It shouldn't affect the frame in gameplay.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 9:16 AM
Congrats on your Feature. I'm glad I could be of help to your beautiful set.

About the picture frame icon problem: Look into the SHPE of picture frame to fix this issue. There was a mistake in TXMT of frame subset.

NO Requests! | How to update fridges/computers to FT | Booty - Get pay items for free!
Check out my Journal for updates on past creations.
Recent Updates: Pie Menu Text Strings Fix | Teen Style Stuff Computer and Stereo Fix | IKEA Home Stuff Objects Fix
Test Subject
#39 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 2:59 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for the beautiful bedroom set makes me think of home when i was a child.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 4th Jan 2009 at 9:09 PM
I love this kind of furniture!! thanks for making it!

Thanks for creating!
Feel free of kindly correcting my spelling mistakes
Test Subject
#41 Old 5th Jan 2009 at 4:29 PM
This is so pretty, I wish I'd had something like this when I was a kid!

* I am not a smurf*
Test Subject
#42 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 3:57 AM
I saw this set earlier in the week and I kept thinking about it as I was decorating bedrooms... so I just had to come back and download it :3 It's fabulous, thank you.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 7:41 AM
Thanks so much for making a real furniture set! I love Ethan Allen furniture and my sims now get to enjoy it also. thanks again!!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#44 Old 6th Jan 2009 at 6:15 PM
Absolutely wonderful! One of the best bedroom suites I have ever encountered these past few years.
Test Subject
#45 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 11:51 AM
this is the best looking bedroom set iv seen for ages!!!
Test Subject
#46 Old 7th Jan 2009 at 3:46 PM
Thank You <3
Test Subject
#47 Old 8th Jan 2009 at 9:58 AM
Supurb! I luv it! Thank u!
Test Subject
#48 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 1:51 AM
Beautifull Work. Thanks a lot
Test Subject
#49 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 5:32 AM
OOOH I love this!! Someone please make recolors in white, antique white, soft pink, soft blue, black, and cherry wood!! THANKS!!
Test Subject
#50 Old 9th Jan 2009 at 9:20 PM
wow this is nice it will go good with my mansion
Page 2 of 4