Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 8:42 PM
Default What is optimal package size and how many kilobytes is too much?
In case I want to avoin purple flashing? I have a lot of packages that are 1000-5000 kilobytes even after using compressorizer. Should I remove those packages or try to reduce their polycons/texture sizes, if I want my game to be as smooth as possible?
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 10:04 PM
Packages are all going to vary based on what type of cc it is and what resources it has in it; you cannot set a hard file size limit. How to avoid pink flashing is going to vary for everyone based on their pc specs.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by karlakoo
In case I want to avoin purple flashing? I have a lot of packages that are 1000-5000 kilobytes even after using compressorizer. Should I remove those packages or try to reduce their polycons/texture sizes, if I want my game to be as smooth as possible?

I would be looking more at the texture sizes and the polys of the item. Do you know how many items are 1024 by 1024 these days when they look fine at 512? Or items with 20K plus polys, those are the things to look at for pink and how many are on a lot. 1 piece of random 20K necklace is different to running a shop stocked full of high poly items.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 12:28 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Jul 2021 at 11:14 AM.
High-poly items can drive up the filesize. So can using the Raw32bit format for regular textures (to avoid confusion, bump maps should use the extraw8bit format, that's normal).

2048x2048 textures can also make files that end up being 1-5 MB after compression (files with just one 1024x1024 texture will usually be roughly 1000-1500 kb uncompressed, and dip somewhere below 1 MB compressed).

Hair recolors tend to be a bit bigger in filesize than other files, but how big depends how many textures are included in each file and how big they are. Same with files that have two or more textures, especially 1024x1024 ones.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 8:34 AM
Thank you everyone, this was useful information! I checked my cc, and biggest package was default replacement road that was over 40 000 kilobytes even compressed. Next I will go through all big files and reduce their texture sizes in photoshop. Maybe it helps a little with pink/purple issue.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 11:24 AM
Just remember that a few items even from EA's side are 2048x2048 - a few of the larger hood terrains for sure. If the items cover a very large area, large textures can in some cases be okay. It's when you have a small item with a giant texture, or a lot of small items with giant textures things get a little bit too much.

Be careful reducing sizes of CAS items in Photoshop. Some items can be reduced, others will not work well. It usually depends on the skin size. If it's a hair or accessory or clothes with 2 or more textures, and the size is 2048x2048, it is in most cases safe to reduce to 1024x1024, but if a texture is 1024x2048 or 2048x1024, don't do anything to those.

For most objects you can reduce, but if you see anything with the Raw32bit, try changing or reimporting it as DXT3 or DXT5 first - that'll reduce the filesize quite a bit (slightly reduces the quality, but could be worth it if it helps the computer).