Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 11:30 PM Last edited by Sokisims : 8th Jul 2021 at 12:06 AM.
Default Do you play o create content for the sims as a therapy?
The truth is that I do. Fighting post-traumatic stress is a very long road.

When I make content for the sims I feel like that episode of The Simpsons in which Bart digs a hole and is not calm until he finishes it

The same thing happens to you? Do you feel the sims as a therapy? :lovestruc
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 12:20 AM
No, that would stress me out. I have about 14K and wish I could have my 20K back without pink flashing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 10:05 AM
Absolutely; I find both playing and building therapeutic. First, it really keep me sane after my husband died back in 2005 - I would play through the nights that I was unable to sleep instead of walking around like a zombie (which I did for a while before I thought of playing Sims). I made plenty of building mistakes - forget to put in a door, and it sometimes took my a long time to figure out what I did wrong - I absolutely credit Sims 2 for helping to maintain my brain function.

It really has meant a lot to me in our perpetual lockdown - we have reached the highest number of cases in my country yet, and it is devastating. So now I build again, hoping and waiting for this wave to pass.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 2:13 PM
I wonder if I was asleep when I posted that as reading it again I don't think it says what I thought it said.

I thought you said "Do you play without content as therapy" meaning CC free.

It was before 10am...

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#5 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 3:42 PM
I find playing and telling myself stories about the things my Sims do to be therapeutic. It is very immersive and keeps me from ruminating on things that otherwise might bring on my anxiety and depression. I also find it to be a relief from social isolation. Notwithstanding the pandemic, the last few years have been tough ones for me, and the Sims + this forum have helped get me through that.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 5:02 PM
My husband died in February and I think that's why i'm playing again. To keep me sane or as sane as I can be. It's better than sitting here doing absolutely nothing but falling deeper into a depression spiral. Keeping my brain somewhat active.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 7:10 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 9th Jul 2021 at 10:25 PM.
Yup. Playing sims has always been therapeutic to me. It gets my mind off other things, but after I started doing storytelling it also helped me work through a few more personal things. It's also very helpful for cleaning out some junk and clutter and downward spirals from the mind - especially storytelling - I guess that's where most of my slightly darker side shines through... It also helps keeping the noggins active (Thanks to SimPE, but also because I use my second language/English when writing stories and communicating in forums). Sims keeps me active even when I'm not actually playing the game .

I had a period of time a while back where storytelling with my sims quite literally got me out of bed a whole lot faster than anything else would've done (my physical health took a quite unexpected nosedive), but I had chapters to post, and no time for being sick (even if my body just wanted to sleep).
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 8:16 PM
Love this thread! Playing the game is therapeutic for me - gives me a sense of control over life, and creating CC gives me a fun sense of purpose and motivation.

This podcast seems highly relevant. It's about a girl playing Sims to help process the death of her grandmother.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 9:13 PM
The game has always been a boon to any lingering depression I might have-by throwing myself into their world for a few hours I can escape my real world, which in turn helps me to cope with it.
By playing it during the first year after my husband died and the pandemic, it kept my mind from falling into a deep hole. Working during a pandemic is never a thrill and being isolated during it was stressful in addition to suddenly becoming a widow.
Working through stress and grief this way is far cheaper than going to a psychiatrist for therapy, and it makes you happy, too!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
#10 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 9:22 PM
Yes, definitely. Sims gets me through so much and I use it as a much needed creative outlet.
My favorite way to be creative is to paint, but for oil painting I need 7-12 hour blocks to get stuff done. Being a full time biology student I never have that many free hours in a row anymore, nor do I take art classes, so painting doesn't happen. Sims is the next best thing. I love to design characters, houses, and towns. I've gotten really into documenting my rotations and keeping my town's story alive. I am not a writer, but playing Sims makes me feel like one. Events happen, Sims have talk/thought bubbles, and I just fill in the gaps and determine the reasons why. Some days I just itch to do something creative, and Sims usually always hits the spot.