Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 7:03 PM
Default Error when renting an apartment unit
I've run into an unusual problem moving a Sim into an apartment. I placed the 'Bella's Belles Townhomes' lot from the Lots & Houses Bin into a custom hood I'm playing. I entered it in build mode and madeover the lot-- I didn't edit any of the exterior walls. When I finished, I saved the lot and attempted to move a Sim into one of the units. At this point I turned on debug mode to rent the apartment furnished and I received an error as soon as I tried to rent the apartment. The error indicates a problem with updating the objects in the apartment unit or something to that effect. Here is a portion of the error from the log:

Error: Problem executing script (Apartment - Restore Objects): Run-time:
(none):0: attempt to compare number with nil
stack traceback:
(none): in function `RestoreApartmentObjectsFromLotInv'
(none): in function `Apartment - Restore Objects'

Selecting Reset kept producing a seemingly endless list of the same error and Delete caused the pop-up box to stop. However, the unit is not recognized as being rented. A pop up keeps coming up telling me to select a unit even though I already have and I cannot place any objects in the apartment because it says "location out of bounds." The same thing happens if I Rent the apartment empty.

I tried moving the sim out and back again, same issue. I tried setting the lot to residential and then back to an apartment base and I found that I receive an error when saving the lot as well (Again, something about updating the apartment lot objects.) Nothing I've tried has fixed the problem.

I don't have any issues with other apartments in my game so I'm pretty sure its specific to this lot. Does anybody have any idea how to fix a problem like this?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 7:27 PM
Pictures of what your remodel entailed could be useful here... What often seems to be the problem with things like this is either using modular stairs in a place where they'll leave a "hole" in the apartment, or using floor dividers which, even though Sims can step over them, are considered "walls" when it comes to dividing out apartments. Any chance your remodels include either of these potential issues?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Pictures of what your remodel entailed could be useful here... What often seems to be the problem with things like this is either using modular stairs in a place where they'll leave a "hole" in the apartment, or using floor dividers which, even though Sims can step over them, are considered "walls" when it comes to dividing out apartments. Any chance your remodels include either of these potential issues?

No I didn't include either. Each apartment has the original spiral staircase that was in there and I never include those floor dividers anymore after I built and inhabited an entire apartment building and learned the hard way those screw things up

One thing I did notice, is that when I moved my Sim in I selected the second apartment unit and a townie sim moved into the first apartment but the other two units remained vacant. So perhaps the problem is with only three of the units? It baffles me because when I change the lot zoning I don't get any errors about invalid apartments and everything appears to be correct. As I said in my original post..I didn't even touch the exterior walls.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 8:16 PM
The easiest way to at least pin down which apartment is causing the problem is to go through and delete the apartment doors, then replace them one at a time. Until there's a unit with a problem, you'll be able to successfully change the zoning to an apartment. Once it gives you the error again, you should be able to pinpoint the unit that's causing issues, and at that point, you're at least looking in a smaller area for the problem it's causing.

Also, again, if you can post screenshots of the apartment as you remodeled it, that'd make it a lot easier to see potential problem-causing modifications!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 8:40 PM
I tried deleting the doors and changing the lot zoning but I had no issues zoning the lot as an apartment base with any configuration.. No doors.. all doors.. one door only.. However each time I saved the lot I continue to get the same error, regardless of the apartment doors. Here are some screen shots maybe they'll help.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 9:07 PM
Sorry to say, but at this point I've got nothing else that I can suggest personally. I seldom use debug mode (or move Sims in for purposes other than testing), so I haven't seen this particular issue myself. You might try getting help from some of the members like @Peni Griffin who are more well-versed in the nuances of debug mode and the various potential issues it can cause... sorry!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 9:28 PM Last edited by sweeetpeas : 6th Feb 2016 at 9:55 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Sorry to say, but at this point I've got nothing else that I can suggest personally. I seldom use debug mode (or move Sims in for purposes other than testing), so I haven't seen this particular issue myself. You might try getting help from some of the members like @Peni Griffin who are more well-versed in the nuances of debug mode and the various potential issues it can cause... sorry!

I appreciate the help anyway! I turned off debug mode and was able to rent an apartment without the issue now.. However still only one of the other 3 units get rented by townies. The remaining two units stay empty and visible. No idea whether this is related or a separate issue entirely
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 6:54 PM
I had a similar error once and it turned out to be caused by a mod (I think it was Cyjon's "Random Apartment Residents" - took it out and all was fine again). Do you have any apartment-related mods in? If so, take them out and see if it helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I had a similar error once and it turned out to be caused by a mod (I think it was Cyjon's "Random Apartment Residents" - took it out and all was fine again). Do you have any apartment-related mods in? If so, take them out and see if it helps.

I do have Cyjon's Townie Apartment Residents but it's never caused any problems it appears to be working as it should.. I do have ONE townie move into a unit but the others stay empty and visible after my Sim claims a unit.. leading me to believe the problem is with the actual apartments specifically.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 6:35 PM
The mod causing problems in my game was Random Apartment Residents not Townie Apartment Residents (two entirely different mods - like you, Townie Apartment Residents is not known to have caused any problems in my game). My symptoms were nearly identical to yours and infuriatingly intermittent - some apartment lots were unaffected and others were completely unusable. I would move a sim in and the testing cheats would pitch a fit until I deleted the Apartment Controller. All the other apartments would then go dark but never spawn any neighbors. My problem cleared up after removing Random Apartment Residents.

My point was that your problem (error with Apartment Controller, UpdateObjects, etc.) might have been caused by some mod (not necessarily that specific one by Cyjon). Does the lot still throw errors if you temporarily remove your downloads folder or at least your mods?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 8:32 PM
Have you tried renting an apartment with debug mode on in the original lot, as placed from the bin? I recollect some of the EA apartment lots are buggy and non-functional in the first place, I don't recollect which.

I always have debug mode on. It just shows you what's going on when something goes wrong.

First, have you got any cc or mods that aren't AL compatible? Some of the mods that deal with school bus, moving, leaving for college, car pools, and hobbies I believe are known to be issues with AL. (Basically anything that might apply to the neighbors when they're on screen and unplayed.)

Next, can you glean any more information from the log? Specifically, can you see which object it is that can't be found? I wonder if you have something overwriting one of the EA objects, either a default or a mistaken reuse of GUID, and that's what's causing the hiccup.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Have you tried renting an apartment with debug mode on in the original lot, as placed from the bin? I recollect some of the EA apartment lots are buggy and non-functional in the first place, I don't recollect which.

I haven't yet tried to test in a game with no CC or Mods. However, I just opened up the game to test whether the original apartment had any problems. I placed the apartment straight from the bin and moved in a sim with debug mode on.. No problems. All the other units were immediately claimed by townies. No errors.

As for having incompatible mods, I doubt it. I haven't downloaded anything recently and no other apartment lots seem to be affected by this issue. I think its definitely something I did in the process of making over the lot, I'm just not sure exactly what I did. The error logs are indicating a problem restoring objects from the lot inventory or something to that effect..

I'll attach part of the error log maybe someone can make some sense of it..

EDIT* I pulled my Mods folder and I still have the same issue.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:00 PM
It may just have corrupted from use-wear. All apartments get buggy after awhile, to the point that even in my newer, cleaner hoods I don't want to play with the testingcheats on if I'm playing an apartment.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 7th Jun 2021 at 9:06 PM
Hello, i had exactly the same problem as notification of some kind of error while saving my apartments!
You can scold me for being, uh, a do necroposting, but I do this only to help others later, so that they know a specific solution!

I used "lot cleaner" by Chris and it really helped.
I went to an unpopulated apartment's lot, selected this debug item in the catalog and without placing it on the lot left from, saved and later re-entered and saved again..

(then I cleaned sims's links in simpe, packed and placed a copy in the desired nh)
I hope this helps you as it does me