Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#76 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 11:42 PM
Thanks, everyone. I have RealTemp installed but don't check it often. I'll try HWMonitor.

I also need to backup my game directories before I try it, then we'll see how it goes!
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lakme
Thanks, everyone. I have RealTemp installed but don't check it often. I'll try HWMonitor.

I also need to backup my game directories before I try it, then we'll see how it goes!

HWmonitor is brilliant! I use it to monitor both temps and usage on CPU and GPU
Scholar
#78 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by desiree101
I think you got me and lakme mixed up!

Well, considering that my message was starting by quoting lakme's message, and wasn't mentioning you in any way, you'd think it would be fairly easy to deduce who I was answering to :p
Mad Poster
#79 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bubblegumfish
I think it's kind of funny how the sims 4 has been getting laggy and slower with each pack and updates, but the sims 3 is getting fixed by modders, really funny how the tables are slowly turning.

I love how TS4 simmers were bragging about TS4 being so lag free in like 2015 when there was eff all to even load/render (San Myshuno =/= Bridgeport). But now they're feeling it, for sure, as I knew they would.

Not to mention all their all screaming and hollering about the Simulation Lag bug, which EA/SimGuru Lindsey has yet to even address in their bogus community letters or streams. Stay classy, EA.
Scholar
#80 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 12:56 AM
This is good to know! I've never been one to overclock my computers or anything like that, as long as my system can play the games I want and everything else, I don't need to squeeze any more power out of it. I did do a stress test on one of my GPU cards with Furmark a long time ago and it survived lol. I wouldn't bother doing it again though, it's not necessary.

Well, it's not really a matter of overclocking. Just, CPUs are designed to actually run at the speed it says on the tin, without extra delays. Reducing the delays to 1ms, which is what this mod does at TPS=1000, is already 1ms more delay than what the CPU is designed to do safely. It's not forcing the CPU to go any faster, it's just reducing the time it sits idle and does nothing for your game. It may not be the best bang per watt, so to speak, but it's still less than what the CPU was actually designed for.

As for the GPU, well, that was just a tangent. As was said before, TS3 as designed will run without any FPS limits, effectively squeezing as much power out of the GPU as it physically can. Like, mine is currently running at 213 frames per second if I let it. Probably a lot more if I lowered the graphics settings.

The mod doesn't change that, so, really, all the difference in GPU temperature one might see (if any) is just due to the CPU cooler blowing more hot air into the case. Otherwise, the GPU should put out exactly as many watts as before.

And really, that is where I'd see more potential to optimize your temperatures and power use. Some might argue that you actually need over 200 frames per second when you play Counter-Strike in some e-sports competition. I have my doubts about it actually helping (even a fly's eye has about twice that latency) but ok. But for The Sims, meh, if you click a millisecond or six later, it won't make any difference.

So personally I'd really recommend forcing V-Sync on in the NVidia control panel. That'll do more for your GPU temperature and power use. And it might even shave a degree or two off the CPU, since now the graphics card isn't blowing as much hot air into the case.
Scholar
#81 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moraelin
Well, considering that my message was starting by quoting lakme's message, and wasn't mentioning you in any way, you'd think it would be fairly easy to deduce who I was answering to :p

Yeah but you said 'Mate I already told YOU ...' when you actually told ME in response to my comment that I didn't really direct at anyone in particular, I didn't ask another question after that, so who did you ALREADY tell WHAT to if not referring to me? Maybe use the '@' and name to respond to a specific person so we don't get mixed up, eh? ;p
Scholar
#83 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 1:29 AM
Well, it's not really a matter of overclocking. Just, CPUs are designed to actually run at the speed it says on the tin, without extra delays. Reducing the delays to 1ms, which is what this mod does at TPS=1000, is already 1ms more delay than what the CPU is designed to do safely. It's not forcing the CPU to go any faster, it's just reducing the time it sits idle and does nothing for your game. It may not be the best bang per watt, so to speak, but it's still less than what the CPU was actually designed for.

As for the GPU, well, that was just a tangent. As was said before, TS3 as designed will run without any FPS limits, effectively squeezing as much power out of the GPU as it physically can. Like, mine is currently running at 213 frames per second if I let it. Probably a lot more if I lowered the graphics settings.

The mod doesn't change that, so, really, all the difference in GPU temperature one might see (if any) is just due to the CPU cooler blowing more hot air into the case. Otherwise, the GPU should put out exactly as many watts as before.

And really, that is where I'd see more potential to optimize your temperatures and power use. Some might argue that you actually need over 200 frames per second when you play Counter-Strike in some e-sports competition. I have my doubts about it actually helping (even a fly's eye has about twice that latency) but ok. But for The Sims, meh, if you click a millisecond or six later, it won't make any difference.

So personally I'd really recommend forcing V-Sync on in the NVidia control panel. That'll do more for your GPU temperature and power use. And it might even shave a degree or two off the CPU, since now the graphics card isn't blowing as much hot air into the case.

I force v-sync on D3Doverrider which works better than Nvidia Control Panel, I didn't notice any difference with CP anyway. Isn't that just for OpenGL games?
Scholar
#84 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 6:13 AM
Well, I wasn't mentioning it because it works any better, but just because it's already included with the drivers, so everyone with an Nvidia card already has it on their computer. Otherwise, sure, it's not the only thing, nor the best.
Instructor
#85 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 6:27 AM
@nitromon Thank that link worked perfectly. Will let you now how the mod works for me.
Scholar
#86 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 7:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
I love how TS4 simmers were bragging about TS4 being so lag free in like 2015 when there was eff all to even load/render (San Myshuno =/= Bridgeport). But now they're feeling it, for sure, as I knew they would.

Not to mention all their all screaming and hollering about the Simulation Lag bug, which EA/SimGuru Lindsey has yet to even address in their bogus community letters or streams. Stay classy, EA.

TBH, even in 2015, TS3 was only in the competition at all because of modders. EA's latest CEO was only obsessed with how much he can monetize things, and even the subtle aspect that it has to be a game you'd like to keep playing (or for that matter buying in the first place) before you drop money on microtransactions for it, seemed to be lost on EA. They were shovelling as many furniture sets and whatnot out the door, and were not even fixing old and well known bugs.

Anyway, by 2015 TS3 by itself had gotten to the point where it was like the village drunk: you'd be lucky if you got it to actually work for a day, before shitting itself and passing out in a gutter. I know because I actually tried. Without Nraas or AwesomeMod or both, I got a corrupted game and NPCs stuck in fences around trees on public lots within less than a day.

So yeah, if we can say that TS3 was actually the better game (which, yes, it was and still is), it's only because of modders working hard to fix EA's problems. Otherwise by 2015 TS3 wouldn't have even deserved to be in the competition at all.
Scholar
#87 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Now... if someone would may a 64-bit patch... hehehehe

TBH, I doubt it's possible, since it would need to recompile the game from source code. Which I doubt that EA will publish any time soon. But I suppose EA itself could do it.

Though personally what I'd even pay for is something that resizes the UI in 4k. I mean, I have a perfectly good 4k monitor and a GPU that's mostly idle (since I throttled the game to 60 fps), but I can't actually play in 4k because then I don't see WTH the text says.
Field Researcher
#88 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 6:08 PM
Thanks. Hmm... guess I'll plonk some 400 bucks on the Steam version and expansions then.

If you don't mind waiting a little, from what people have said here Steam is pretty good about having the expansions on sale on a fairly regular basis.
Scholar
#90 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tacitala
If you don't mind waiting a little, from what people have said here Steam is pretty good about having the expansions on sale on a fairly regular basis.

Well, luckily that's no longer needed anyway, since now there's an Origin version too.
Scholar
#91 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 8:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
ahhh... one could dream.... one could dream...

One can dream indeed. But it being EA I'm not holding my breath.
Forum Resident
#92 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 9:36 PM
Trying out the Origin patch now and it is working fantastic--knock on wood! My game has never run so fast. I put it on 500 and my temperatures are barely impacted even CAS, so I MIGHT try 1000 in the future. But even this is a substantial improvement.

Thanks so much for making this! This is a game-changer (no pun intended).
Scholar
#93 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 10:36 PM
Trying out the Origin patch now and it is working fantastic--knock on wood! My game has never run so fast. I put it on 500 and my temperatures are barely impacted even CAS, so I MIGHT try 1000 in the future. But even this is a substantial improvement.

Yeeeaahhh! Crank it up to 1000! lol
Might as well start at top and go down if you find it's too much :D
There were a lot of Origin players that were ready to riot and rob a bank to buy the whole Sims 3 collection on disk/Steam for this mod
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 12:31 AM

Awesome, I'm glad it's working!

Yeeeaahhh! Crank it up to 1000! lol
Might as well start at top and go down if you find it's too much :D
There were a lot of Origin players that were ready to riot and rob a bank to buy the whole Sims 3 collection on disk/Steam for this mod

I knowww, that was crazy to me. Had to hurry up and get a version working before people started making impulse purchases haha
Scholar
#95 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LazyDuchess
Awesome, I'm glad it's working!

I knowww, that was crazy to me. Had to hurry up and get a version working before people started making impulse purchases haha

You did a wonderful thing! (Before anyone got hurt
Scholar
#96 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 1:51 AM
Erm... I'm going to look a right fool here aren't I? Oh well, here goes. I don't understand how I'm supposed to configure this thing. What exactly do I change in that Text Document? I'm not even sure the mod is working. Testing it for the first time my game just froze, unfroze intermittently a few times, and then froze altogether. Using a cooler mat, since my laptop already gets a bit warm, things seemed to go better, but it is still too warm for my liking.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 3:21 AM
I'm on 1.67 disc version with Windows 10 and, after installing the files for this mod, got a runtime error, 'this application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way'. The game goes ahead and loads but acts weird. When I close the message it crashes the game. I have a gaming desktop that runs Sims 3 fine but would really love to use this mod to speed things up.

After much googling this error, I restarted, then found the VC 2015 distributable for 86, but it won't install as it says I have a newer one installed. There are a couple newer ones showing. Before uninstalling things I know nothing about I'd like to ask here what to do. Here is what my control panel is showing:
Scholar
#99 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 3:24 AM
@Nitromon - Ah, now get it! Thank you.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Page 4 of 7