Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2021 at 8:08 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Can nraas Retuner stop sims from moving their houseboats?
If yes, where is this setting located?

If no, is there a way to stop inactives from autonomously moving their houseboats around Isla Paradiso?

I tried deleting the houseboat steering wheel thing from every inactive houseboat, but they just respawned and I felt foolish.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Aug 2021 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Just remove the little houseboat controller thing.

edit: "I tried deleting the houseboat steering wheel thing from every inactive houseboat, but they just respawned and I felt foolish."

... say what?

Hmm... Honestly I never heard of this. It has been standard reference to remove the steering wheel if you don't want the houseboats to move.

Yep. I used control + shift -> delete on them all, thought that would be the end of them moving, and then at some point when I wasn't looking the steering wheel things respawned... but not in the places they were before. They always respawned at the "front" of the houseboat. Sometimes this actually blocked sims from getting out and created a whole new nightmare of lag for me.

But I guess you can put it in an enclosed wall without a door? That should stop them, but it will create routing error whenever one tries to move the houseboat.

Hesitant to do that since routing errors are already a problem for the town.

After posting this, I installed retuner, got the menu to show up on the steering wheel, and... seems like everything I want blocked is already set as blocked (allow autonomous = false). So maybe that's the default setting with retuner? Does anyone know? I'm looking around on the mod's site but I can't see any reference to this.

I'll keep an eye on it. If none of my neighbors' houseboats moves around for a while, I guess it worked...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Aug 2021 at 9:24 AM
Retuner doesn't actually change any tunings or settings just by virtue of being installed. It's a user interface into the ITUN file data that already exists in-game. So if something is True, False, or set to 42, green, or whatever, by default upon installing the mod, then that's the way it existed prior to the mod being present. Or, at least that's how things are supposed to work in an otherwise perfect world as the expression goes.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2021 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Retuner doesn't actually change any tunings or settings just by virtue of being installed. It's a user interface into the ITUN file data that already exists in-game. So if something is True, False, or set to 42, green, or whatever, by default upon installing the mod, then that's the way it existed prior to the mod being present. Or, at least that's how things are supposed to work in an otherwise perfect world as the expression goes.

Well then... my confusion intensifies.

Inactives were definitely moving their houseboats before.

Keeping the mod in though. Two gameplay hours in and I already never want to go without. No more flamingo kicking. <3
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Aug 2021 at 3:14 PM
I wonder if maybe you have or had another mod that was pushing or allowing the houseboat moves (and hence the surprise respawning of the boat steering controls)? Retuner loads usually last in the sequence of mods after the game starts up, not during, so it will tend to trump tunings set by other forces -- in this case with default settings, but thus possibly overriding something else in play.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Aug 2021 at 1:11 AM
@igazor I don't think I had any mods pertaining to houseboats, but since my experience has been different from others, I too assume something's up in my mods folder.

I do have a lot of QoL mods ("children can..." series, No Crappy Bunk Beds, No Autonomous Royal Court, etc). Now I'm wondering if retuner will overwrite most of them? I have not had time to test yet.

Dumb question... does Retuner do anything to immigration? I didn't think it would, but ever since I put retuner in, big families of homeless vanilla face sims have been showing up in my town (I have immigration disabled in SP). Same last name, two adults and several children of varying ages. Overwatch runs these homeless families off eventually. There are others that show up as homeless if I check their Status with MC, too, but they don't show up in large family batches OR ever get destroyed by Overwatch for some reason. That second group has always been an issue in my saves (I just Totally Annihilate them when I happen to see them roaming), but the whole families thing is new. I'm wondering what I have done to cause it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Aug 2021 at 2:13 AM
Retuner should be embracing what the Children Can... mods do, not overwriting it.

Er no, not that I know of on the immigration question. Are you sure these sims aren't Tourists from another world your sims have visited? SP doesn't immigrate homeless sims, it only immigrates residents. If it can't find suitable housing for them, then the immigration process fails an we never see the sims trying to get into town. But with SP immigration off, then even that wouldn't be happening.

Do these sims ever seem to pick up a purpose for being in your game, like do they become Service, Role Sims, any careers for the YAs and older?

Also worth mentioning, I never use OW's Cleanup the Homeless nor SP's Manage the Homeless functions. I prefer to manage my relatively small homeless population of mostly commuters myself and would catch sudden strange additions to it if they occur. There's always going to be the occasional street performers thanks to Showtime, but with the Showtime careers and its three skills disallowed those only happen very slowly in my worlds now and usually aren't much to take action on.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Aug 2021 at 6:06 AM
Inspecting their status with MC, the ones currently in town all have the service jobs and seem alone (no family connections). I didn't get a chance to check the last big family before I nuked them. I didn't have much of a chance to play today but squeezed in as much game time as I could to see if another family would appear... and they didn't, just to spite me.

I just noticed I can set "pool size" to 0 on resort workers and other service sims with Register; would that get rid of some of them? What would happen when they're needed, in that case, like if I set the mail carriers to 0 would I stop getting mail, or would an NPC spawn anyway to bring the mail, or would mail just appear in the mailbox without the postal worker? If I set the mascot pool to 0, could I finally be rid of the mascot invasion every time a teen ages up to YA?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Aug 2021 at 6:21 AM
Err, no. The service pools provide sims with service assignments standing by (usually off the map in hibernation) so new sims don't have to spawn when services are required. If set to 0 there may be no spares, but homeless NPCs will still spawn for service assignments as they are needed, it may just take a bit longer each time. NRaas Register provides some controls here, though still 0 isn't going to suppress the service. A bit more of a mod is required to suppress the Uni Mascot entirely. Not asked about specifically, but Register does have a popular option to suppress the Paparazzi.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Aug 2021 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Err, no. The service pools provide sims with service assignments standing by (usually off the map in hibernation) so new sims don't have to spawn when services are required. If set to 0 there may be no spares, but homeless NPCs will still spawn for service assignments as they are needed, it may just take a bit longer each time. NRaas Register provides some controls here, though still 0 isn't going to suppress the service. A bit more of a mod is required to suppress the Uni Mascot entirely. Not asked about specifically, but Register does have a popular option to suppress the Paparazzi.

I see. Thanks for clarification!

There IS a mod for that. bluegenjutsu_NoMascotIntro

Nabbed it, thanks!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Mar 2022 at 1:18 AM
Try removing or transmogrifying the water. I mean hey, it would work in the real world (kind of).
Inventor
#15 Old 24th Mar 2022 at 9:41 AM
Sorry about resurrecting old threads, but 6 months isn't too old and I thought this is a good continuation of this discussion.

So it is commonly known in many help guides out there that to prevent NPC autonomous moving the houseboats, to remove the steering wheel. However, as the OP stated, and I just confirmed, removing it will only make the game respawn a new one later.

So I thought I'd be smart and use the transmogrifier to change the steering wheel script, with one that is pure deco. I thought the game would still recognize the object, except it has a new script. But nope, the game just created new steering wheels.

Are there any other methods people have tried? To prevent autonomous houseboat moving? Thanks

So digging through the gameplay file. I pulled all the ones pertaining to the Helm. I don't play with houseboats but I found the EnterHelm is set to "allow" autonomous. So NPCs can just use it all they want.
This is a simple ITUN file that changes the enter Helm from allow Autonomous true to False. If you want to see if this works here is the file. The thinking would be if you don't allow them to enter the Helm they wouldn't be able to drive it anywhere.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d5...anges_3_24_2022
If it works I can get it released. I would test it but I'm not going to have any free time till Friday night to boot up the game.
Inventor
#17 Old 25th Mar 2022 at 1:15 AM
Oh wow, thanks man! I'm still in IP for vacation, got at least 3 sim days to test it out. But you know it is a hit and miss, I can only check every now and then in map mode if they are moving the houseboats. However, it should be quite easy to notice when they do b/c even when 1 houseboat is moving around, it majorly lags the game.

I wish I saw this before putting every helm on every houseboat in a hidden room. AHAHAHA

I think you finally reached the point where you are more senile than me.

Test away lol I found only a handful of them that pertain to the helm so one of them has to work (you would hope)..this looked like the most logical but then again when has this game been logical?
Instructor
#18 Old 25th Mar 2022 at 6:27 AM
EA Logic, an oxymoron much like Military Intelligence and Jumbo Shrimp.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 26th Mar 2022 at 1:21 PM
Haven't used the ITUN mod, but sounds promising. Doubt it does anything else, so probably never been used in any other tuning mods. I had an issue with every bar in hometown needing to be replaced when returned, so haven't played IP in a while. But, another option that did seem to work when I played IP was to leave the helm in place, and remove access to it. Remove ladders to wheel house, build a wall to block it, place something in front of it.
Inventor
#21 Old 26th Mar 2022 at 4:54 PM
OK! After 3 days vacation in IP, I can verify no houseboats moved. I edited every houseboat 3 times:
1) change all steering wheel script to deco
2) found out they respawn, so put new steering wheel in hidden room
3) installed your mod, put steering wheel back in original place, delete deco wheel

So I memorized their location, can verify after 3 days, none of them autonomously moved their houseboat! Hurray! Thanks!

Awesome! I will be testing out another mod with resorts tonight about not allowing the active families children to stay in so I will toss this one and load up IP. I haven't played in IP in forever so this should be interesting lol I'm not going to do anything with the steering wheels just put the mod in and give it a go. Thanks for testing it out and glad it's working for you!
Inventor
#22 Old 26th Mar 2022 at 5:53 PM Last edited by marydehoyos : 26th Mar 2022 at 7:02 PM.
OK! After 3 days vacation in IP, I can verify no houseboats moved. I edited every houseboat 3 times:
1) change all steering wheel script to deco
2) found out they respawn, so put new steering wheel in hidden room
3) installed your mod, put steering wheel back in original place, delete deco wheel

So I memorized their location, can verify after 3 days, none of them autonomously moved their houseboat! Hurray! Thanks!

Also, since they couldn’t move them was it overall less laggy than it normally would have been if they could move them?

I suppose I will test that by loading up IP without the mod and then add the mod so I can calculate by having it in if I notice a reduction in lag.

Curious for your island paradise did you follow the guide about removing certain things to reduce lag? The reason I ask this is it's stated the Scott Family should be deleted. The issue is they are trying to drive the houseboat at the start. So I guess I will test this out. Game one load and see how much lag I get. I will play a 3 day lag filled game without deleting anything. (I'll be testing out a resort upgrade to see if I can get active family children into VIP rooms), next test will be to start another IP save with the mod in and start fresh to see if the Scott family will no longer cause lag because they can't drive their houseboat, third will be if it's still laggy to go into a third and delete the Scotts.
Inventor
#23 Old 26th Mar 2022 at 11:28 PM
Update: happy to report back that I put it in without any fixes in a fresh island paradise after testing without and I have no lag! I’m running a family of 6 on a houseboat.
Inventor
#25 Old 26th Mar 2022 at 11:56 PM
So this is going to sound ...

I did "every" IP fix suggested on the net several years ago.... all except 2 things. One is I didn't bother with the Ellacharm's fixed world. I already had a game started then and it was a pain to restart and I have overwatch anyways. And the 2nd? I did not bother to do anything about stopping the houseboats from moving. I did not think it was a big deal since they rarely move the houseboats.

I even edited every lot myself personally to make sure there were no other possible lag and blocking, and there were several... especially having archways over the front door. However, when at home in their residence, NPCs really do just stand there so they shouldn't be a problem. Other things I did is I put in a subway from the main island to the 2nd large island with the NPC can use subway mod.

So it never occurred to me that even when 1 houseboat is moving it would create such a huge lag until I just recently noticed in my homeworld. In Bridgeport, I put up 7 ports and 5 houseboats. They rarely move, but when they do... the game lags like hell. I don't know why it took me so long to make the connection, but this is why I went back to IP and tried to see if I can stop them from moving the houseboat and yes, it makes a major impact.

I still get the occasional routing error lag, a few with NPC swimming under their houseboat or suck on a boat unable to unload on their home lot, but those are normal and not severe. The major unplayable lag is the houseboats moving around.

Thanks for the mod, the alternative of putting the helm in a hidden room... will still cause minor NPC routing tantrums, so this is a lot smoother.

Awesome! I'm going to submit it to get released! I have another person who has virtually no mods in testing it and she said her Island Paradise has never run so smooth. I didn't put the EllaCharm world in either I figured I would give this a shot on a pretty vanilla world. I mean I can't live without Overwatch and the such but I let my sims go for days and it is running better than sunset valley runs. I am going to toss back in Greymont Bay because part of a lot of users complaints was about the houseboats. I found a few other things wrong with that world (the hospital my sims kept getting stuck) but for the most part it was houseboat related.
Page 1 of 2