Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 12:40 PM
Default Those of You Who Play Rotationally, How Many Rounds Do You Play?
Hey all! I've recently gotten back into a comfortable schedule for simming after almost a year since I started my job, and I've recently had a curious thought.

For those of you who play rotationally, how many rounds do y'all play? I've done Sims 2 rotationally for 6 years and never had a set "limit" to rounds. I'm not necessarily talking Uberhood (since I don't use that), but I was thinking more of each neighbourhood separately. How many rounds do you play before you move on to the next town? I'm curious to hear y'alls strats!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 12:51 PM
Just 1. I play each house for 1 sim day and then move onto the next. I have an uberhood and it takes me almost a full year to get through all subhoods.

I did start The Beginning of Pleasantview recently though, and already I've played some households for about 6 sim days. I'm trying to get to a certain point before I start playing them on 1 day rotations, right now I'm focusing on the Goths, Crumplebottoms, Newbie and Simovich families, and have just added the Burbs, Danders and Dreamers to my rotations.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 1:43 PM
I play each house from 6am to 6 am every single day. It takes me about 2 sessions to go through my average small neighborhoods, and longer if I go into the more established ones because they're more developed and I love to write the events down as a diary. That can take some time..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 1:57 PM
I am dedicated to one-day rotations - any longer and I get family fatigue. But I also play each family pretty intensely. Once around the main neighborhood, once around any subhoods or inhabited downtowns, and three times at University - but how I stagger University rotations varies. In Drama Acres I established a sub-rotation of three rounds of University before returning to the main hood as the best way to balance out the slower pace of University, and since the demise of Drama Acres I still do that in Widespot; but in Strangetown I would interrupt play in the main hood about three times in order to play one round of University. My Retro game has Almighty Hat's age mod in, so in Depression-Era Riverblossom Hills the University is on the same schedule as the main hood.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 2:56 PM
One day rotation and one semester at university is one day in the hood, and I play all of university in one go. I don't have subhoods in general so I don't play with Sims in the city or Bluewater Village. If I want to do something else in another neighborhood I just play there whenever but I'm mostly interested to continue the storyline in Ullerby. I'm kind of thinking about starting another hood since I miss the bin-families.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 3:42 PM
With my current neighborhood, Fairplay, the goal was set to play until every original sim has died, or the last original sim dies of old age, and then she died prematurely of pneumonia. So now my goal is to play until the first sim born in the neighborhood has died of old age, if he gets there, and currently he's 1 day away from becoming an elder and will become one next round. That being said, I think that's just a benchmark, and I may just keep playing after hitting it until I get bored or want to play another neighborhood, but having it does feel like a good goal to hit, since the neighborhood will have changed and evolved so much once all of the original sims are gone.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 5:19 PM
I play each of my families for one sim week; Monday 7am through to Monday 7am. I like to feel like my families have made significant progress in one round, though I might change it at some point. I'm content right now, so that won't be until a far distant future. As for University, I do it all in one go, however, I do leave age differences between my sims; for example, if a pair went to college and one was 5 days until adult while the other was 3 days until adult at the start of the round, then the younger of the two (the 5 day 'til adult) won't start college until the older was in Junior Year, keeping the two day gap. That's just how it makes sense in my head.

As for the number of rounds, I've never thought about a limit to most hoods except Crystal Pleasantview; I'm going to play that hood until Skipp Broke (Unborn Baby Broke) dies of old age and even then, it's not like I'm abandoning the hood, just taking a break from it to focus on others for a bit. Considering Skipp is currently an elder with 27 days left to go and the rounds are quite long, I don't have to think about that yet.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Forum Resident
#8 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches
Hey all! I've recently gotten back into a comfortable schedule for simming after almost a year since I started my job, and I've recently had a curious thought.

For those of you who play rotationally, how many rounds do y'all play? I've done Sims 2 rotationally for 6 years and never had a set "limit" to rounds. I'm not necessarily talking Uberhood (since I don't use that), but I was thinking more of each neighbourhood separately. How many rounds do you play before you move on to the next town? I'm curious to hear y'alls strats!

I only play one neighborhood at a time. I have different hoods for different types of Sim setups.

In my last-played hood, there are 205 Sims living in 48 families (and 135 deceased Sims residing in the graveyard). I have played that hood for 120 Sim days.

I play a seasonal rotation in that hood - playing one family for one season - and the seasons there are 5 days long. So that means 24 rounds so far.

I have no final limit of rounds in mind - I'll probably play it until it (or my computer) goes POOF!

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 6:14 PM
I used to a week per household but now I do Monday - Thursday morning and Thursday - Monday morning. I don't have a strict order to play through the households I just check them off when I do them and pick from the remaining to play next until I get everyone and then a new round starts.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 7:09 PM
I have never been good with spending the exact same number of days at every family. While I try for 3 days, I am apparently just not very good at it
Which is okay. Nobody is going to care if I linger longer. Because I would like to hold the wedding or birthday party before moving on, or send a particular family on holiday - and as long as I have fun, it just does not seem terribly important to me. I do, after all, get to all the families some time.
Instructor
#11 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 7:47 PM
I used to play for two sim-weeks for one household then choose and play another before Season. Now with Season I am playing one household for a whole season. I always manage two households at a time until they rest in peace and their stories are completed, then move on and pick up other ones.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Instructor
#12 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 7:49 PM
At the moment the only neighborhood I have is my Test of Time Challenge hood. I have trouble flipping between multiple things so that's all I'm doing now until I get bored of it.
I'm still only on the original 5 families, and as I type this I'm in round 3 of family #4. I use 4 day seasons so I play each for 4 days and switch as soon as I notice the season icon change. Right now there's 1 day left in the current season for the Hebb family (family #4).

Ya know, I don't actually know if I'm making any sense. I get confused between round and rotation as I tend to use them interchangeably but I know some do not.
Basically here's my spreadsheet (as of 1:49pm 1/12/22) - I play each of the 5 families for 4 days/1 season and then +1 the number in the rotations column.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 8:42 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies! It's always nice to hear how others play their game. My usual method is playing until I *almost* get bored with the hood, but that can take forever lol. I haven't been able to touch Strangetown or Pleasantview in 5 years because of it. Lol. And I haven't even gotten to touch Veronaville rotationally yet, but it's next on the agenda and the last one I have to play before I circle back to Strangetown.

I probably need to limit myself to a strict number of rounds per hood so it doesn't take so long to move to the next one.

But still, thanks for the responses!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Jan 2022 at 8:54 PM
I only have the first two families in my BACC in Dodge which is the Strangetown terrain tamplate and they're only just entering their second winter which is the winter of 1841.I intend to play each of the couples for a day at a time until they get their lives to where each one is ready for starting a family.I'll evenually add my first shopping district when the town needs to have new homesteads be outside of the town center.Other districts are added as needed.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 12:59 AM
Much like wickedjr89, I do Mon-Thu/Thu-Mon rotations, generally starting/ending each cycle at about 8 AM (though I will make allowances for Sims' work/school schedules, so I don't have to save with someone off-lot). I do, however, switch to daily if I have any university students. Uni-to-main progression is generally 1 semester per Sim day, except for Fall, which is 2 semesters per day, with the same start/stop time per cycle. (This does, of course, depend on whether I'm using a lifespan mod, though I do always compress Fall into half the main hood time that the other seasons get.)

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 1:26 AM
University is just part of the round for me. For example if i'm doing a Mon - Thurs round i'll play the university students through Uni that round and when I graduate them any getting their own home i'll use the sim manipulator to set it to Thursday so they are ready for the next round. That's what i'm doing at the moment. I don't pay attention to the seasons. I have seasons, I have the UC, but they'll just be whatever they are. Maybe one day i'll care about them. I know I could make sure they are all on the same page season wise, I just haven't cared about that yet.

My Simblr
He/They
Forum Resident
#17 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 6:02 AM
I'm probably unusual - I play 4 sim day "rounds" (and tick off each household on a list when they're done), but I rarely complete a whole round for each household in one go. I'll usually play a day or two for one household, and then a day or two with someone else, and use the season progress to measure when they're done for the round and I need to stop (so obviously anyone that moves needs their season adjusted accordingly). Partly, that's because after a day or two in sim time either my two year old needs me or it's time for bed - I rarely have time for 4 sim days in one go unless it's a single sim who spends lots of time at work/ asleep.

As for how many I play... I get bursts of enthusiasm for a particular game/ neighbourhood, and play that whenever I get the chance, and then after anywhere between a month and about six months I get enthusiastic about something else. Strangetown in TS2 is always reliable, however, and I've always come back to it at some point after a burst of TS3 / Castaway Stories / Civ VI / Crusader Kings III / whatever.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 10:22 AM
Generations keep me sane. I'll have a goal, like I'm trying to get this generation of teens into adulthood. I like the whole generation to go to college (or drop out if that's their thing) all at the same time.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches

An entire round for a family would be the season but I don't always stay at the house until the season is done. Reasons to jump would be other houses are due to have toddlers age to children and I want them all to be children together or all teens together. I run playable schools so they need the children aged for school attendance as well. If there are lots of birthdays upcoming I might go around and play just 1 day of these houses. The season on the family lets me know if their round is still ongoing or done.

If I feel bored with the hood I am playing I will switch to another. I have modern custom hoods, an Ubber hood and a medieval hood or sometimes I jump to my building hood and build. Right now I am playing my Ubber hood but also jumping over to my building hood. I don't have to be finished with anything to jump hoods.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#21 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 1:34 PM
I do 4 day rotations becaise I use a 4 day season mod. So far I haven't managed to go past 3 season (Not including the 1 day of summer. That's just my intro round) I wish I could go further, but the game gets repetitive after a while. I feel like I'm just breeding and feeding babies. I hope the Random Occurance Scenario chart might spice things up.

I'm hoping to make it 2 years worth of seasons this year.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 13th Jan 2022 at 3:03 PM
I try to stick with my towns as long as possible (aka corruption, bugs or lag kills them or makes them unplayable).
My current hood is currently on Week 6, Part 1 aka Monday to Thursday morning.
I have considered 1 day rotations before but it is too quick for me, so I play about half a week per round. I try to play in roughly the same order everytime but sometimes, I might switch a few households around become one family is more interesting than the other.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 12:29 AM
I used to think I was making too much of my simming till I learned about simmers' excel sheets and timetables. You guys are next level!

I have a page in a notebook with my Hood/Town name at the top. Below are three underlined categories left to right: Households, Rent, Weeks. I list my households and note rent if they pay or dash mark for owning their home, and I give a tally mark for 1 sim weeks played. I play each household to Sunday evening, or if something important is happening, I can go to early Monday morning.

I just play my own custom hoods. On the rare occasion that I do hop over to Pleasantview, I work my way around the premades a few days at a time until everyone is ending on Sunday evening.

An exception to the weekly rule is if a young adult/teen moved out with their future spouse, or a teen left home due to rebellion and is about to age into adult (especially a twin), I will play the main household till Wednesday (or whenever they are going to age up whichever I prefer at that time) and then play the other household till Wednesday, and then back to the main household till the usual Sunday evening. I don't play University. Too boring for me. The mod I play with allows teen sims to finish high school 7 days before aging to adult and I use that time as their "Uni" time and they can goof off, or study hard, depending on their future plans.

No chemicals or GMOs in my sims' food.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 9:37 PM
I play three day rounds with no set limit on how many rounds there are. Sims are sent to Uni when they have six days left as teens so Uni Sims are played first and then kept in the household bin until two rounds have passed so that the age calculations are right. Sims born in the same round on the same "day" should always be the same age even if they're in different households.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Mad Poster
#25 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I have never been good with spending the exact same number of days at every family. While I try for 3 days, I am apparently just not very good at it
Which is okay. Nobody is going to care if I linger longer. Because I would like to hold the wedding or birthday party before moving on, or send a particular family on holiday - and as long as I have fun, it just does not seem terribly important to me. I do, after all, get to all the families some time.
I'm a bit like Justpetro, but mine are supposed to be one day rotations rather than three. My rotations are very loose -- consisting mainly of checking who hasn't been played for a long time, and deciding it's their turn. Notionally I play one day rotations, but I can stay for a week with a family if there's something really interesting going on. As I play very slowly with Aging usually off, I don't have to worry about families getting out of sync with each other.

As for the number of "rounds" I play, there's no limit. My own and my computer's health permitting, I intend to play Veronaville until the day the Grim Reaper comes for me and tells me that my time's up. After that Peni tells me I can live with my Veronaville Sims for ever. :lovestruc

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Page 1 of 2