Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 11:27 AM Last edited by Softlism : 24th Oct 2021 at 6:22 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [SOLVED] What's the purpose of cigen.package?
I noticed I don't have to delete that cache file necessarily if I want to boot up TS2 or Bodyshop, but I suspect that if I delete it, that the hairs/eyebrows load more slowly in Bodyshop. So I wonder, what's the purpose of that cache file? When is it actually needed to delete that file?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 11:45 AM
It has thumbnails for Bodyshop, and makes it load those a bit faster, instead of the slow one-by-one loading. Doesn't seem to be necessary to delete unless the thumbs have been messed up for whatever reason.

You can delete individual thumbnails from the file, if you have issues with particular ones. Kinda useful if you often load up your whole DL folder and have one item you're working on with a borked thumbnail you want to fix, but don't want to slow down the thumbnail loading for the whole of Bodyshop.
Space Pony
#3 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 11:52 PM
To speed up load time, open bodyshop, then close it. Go to the cigen package and open it in notepad. Delete whatever text is inside. Save and set to read only. Boom!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 11:29 AM
It's a shame all the images seem to be random, I've got a couple of thumbnails I'd like to delete and refresh because they have a gap at the waistline before I fixed the mesh, but I can't find them in the thousands of other images. I also don't want to delete the file entirely and then have to genereage all of them just to fix those few because again, thousands.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Oct 2021 at 2:10 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but the "Offset" seems to sort them kind of in a rough order after when they've been loaded/viewed, but I only have one cigen file to check right now and it's a few months old so I can't say for sure. Could be the "Instance" button, too. I guess it depends when you viewed the items, or if this is even how they're sorted.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 2:46 PM
I don't seem to have anything that says "Offset"? Just Name (all of which are the same), Type (all the same), Group (same), Instance (high) (and yep, the same) and Instance. Which is the only resource with any difference. And does not seem to sort them into any noticeable order either.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Oct 2021 at 5:12 PM
Weird - I see it (SimPE 0.75). Anyway, if the cigen file has collected thumbs over several different loads, I don't think you can expect much of an order in there, especially if it's in any way item by item, and if you've jumped around a bit between ages/genders/outfit categories.

I did kind of see a rough order, in that female clothes seemed to be on its own, then male clothes, but I can't say for sure if there was any sort of actual order to the chaos.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 14th Feb 2023 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Airazor65
To speed up load time, open bodyshop, then close it. Go to the cigen package and open it in notepad. Delete whatever text is inside. Save and set to read only. Boom!

Um ...what text to delete?
Space Pony
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2023 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimBeatle1979
Um ...what text to delete?

Well, you open cigen.package in notepad. It'll show strings of incomprehensible text. Don't worry about it. You select ALL the text in the document and delete it all until the page is blank.
Inventor
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2023 at 3:42 AM
You can delete the whole file. An archive containing graphics cannot be edited in Notepad in a meaningful way. Notepad is extremely slow with large files containing a mix of nulls and newline symbols. That's one reason why better editors, like EmEditor or UltraEdit appeared. There actually are some editors where you can cut random data without losing integrity, but that is still not useful because the entries in a sims package have variable length and require pointers to describe their size.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2023 at 3:48 AM
The point is not to delete the file, but to make it permanently empty in a read-only state so that it can never contain out-of-date information. It's perfectly meaningful to completely erase the contents of any file in Notepad in order to replace it with an empty file.