Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Middleground -- Neighbourhood with lots; base game compatible

by plasticbox Posted 2nd Dec 2007 at 12:49 AM - Updated 13th Jan 2015 at 4:18 AM by plasticbox

202 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 193 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 9
Test Subject
#26 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 4:34 PM
plasticbox, you are easily my favorite mts2 creator. my neighborhoods would be barren without your great work. if you don't already have a career in architecture or urban planning, you are more than qualified for one! thanks for this - i can't wait to use it.
Test Subject
#27 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 5:08 PM
I can't start playing since you keep making these wonderful neighborhoods, and I just can't decide whick I'm going to have. My God you're making neighborhoods of my dreams. You have such an eye for these things. it's so beautiful, I would give away 50 years of my life just to live there myself.
please keep creating, I'm always downloading all of your things.
Test Subject
#28 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 5:48 PM
I tired downloading the custom content and I get an error message. It downloads but it has an error message saying its the abrupt end of the file. Is it missing something?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 5:59 PM
delariean,

redownload. End of file means the download is incomplete.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 6:17 PM
Wow! Just downloaded and checked this little town out in the game! You did an excellent job! I love it!!! I love these towns you keep putting together! Can't wait to see if you give us another one Thanks for this. My Sims are going to be very happy living here! Also wanted to comment on your homes, they are so cute, functional, and really just the right size. You never really make anything too big or too small. Your building skills are exceptional!!! Thank you
Test Subject
#31 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
delariean,

redownload. End of file means the download is incomplete.

It worked. Thanks for the quick response!
Field Researcher
#32 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 6:34 PM
Great work I love Baskerville, and can't wait to see this one in-game! Thanks so much for all your hard work

Mene Sakkhet Urseveh
Live Long, and Prosper
Instructor
#33 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 8:45 PM
Absolutely perfect as always. I just love your lots and neighborhoods. Can't wait to see it in game.
Test Subject
#34 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 8:46 PM
Question:
Do you expand ALL the folders or just 1st one:
-Ex:Open-then middle ground custom content and from there just simply install?

Cuz it didn't show up for me?

But its AWESOME,thank you so much!
:D
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 9:31 PM
Converselove,

I don't understand your question. middleground_customcontent.rar expands as a folder, you put that folder in your DL folder, and that's it.

And what exactly did not show up for you .. the custom content? Or the neighbourhood?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#36 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 9:57 PM
Both.
Nothing came up

Can you give step by step
-I'm slow,SORRY!

Thank you if you or can't
:D
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 10:06 PM
Would it be possible for you to put the lots as separate downloads? That would be great! Sorry if this is one of those things that you did not want people to ask about.

~ Hiro Osric ~
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 10:31 PM
Hiro Osic,

it would be possible but very unnecessary. You can simply install the hood, move all lots into the lotbin, delete the hood -- that's much quicker and easier.

Converselove,

I think it will go faster if you explain step by step what you do, and at which point you get stuck. Otherwise I can only guess blindly .. probably not very useful.

Test Subject
#39 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 10:36 PM
1st:I downloaded middleground_neighbourhood_N514.rar
2nd:Then middleground_customcontent.rar
3rd:Opened both files
4th:I extract middleground_neighbourhood_N514.rar to the Neighbourhood file
5th:Did the same for the other but only to the download file.

I started the game but I didn't see it,no where to be found.
-Thanks for the help
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 11:15 PM
Converselove,

with your steps 3 and 4 I'm not sure I can follow, because with the tools that I use (under OSX), opening and expanding are not separate steps .. in case there is anything going wrong at that point (not saying this is so, just in case), I'm not going to be able to spot it. Are you using WinRar? Or something else?

One thing that comes to mind: are you sure you're expanding to the right Neighbourhoods folder, the one in My Documents? There is another one somewhere in the game folder in Programs, if you're putting it there the game won't see it.

It is also possible that your download is incomplete: the uncompressed N514 folder should be about 20MB, with 19 files in the Lots subfolder. Can you check if that is the case? If not, please redownload.

Also, the folder must be named N514 -- you can't rename it.

Another idea: theoretically it might be possible that the internal ID of this hood conflicts with some other neighbourhood you have. My own game handles this gracefully (even exact duplicates show up fine next to each other), but you never know. To check whether this is your problem, you can *temporarily* remove (NOT delete -- just move to your desktop) all your other neighbourhoods and see if Middleground shows up then.

Lastly .. you did page through your neighbourhoods menu (in-game) to the very last page, yes? Keep in mind that Middleground will be most likely the *last* entry you see (the hoods are sorted numerically).

I'm out of ideas, for now. If anyone else (possibly someone familiar with WinRAR and its ilk?) has an idea, please post =)

Test Subject
#41 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 11:18 PM
Awesome job! Thank you!
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I'm out of ideas, for now. If anyone else (possibly someone familiar with WinRAR and its ilk?) has an idea, please post =)
If you "open" a rar'ed or zip'ed file with WinRAR installed, you will get a WR window that lets you extract to hard drive locations. Not the easiest or best way to do it IMO, but it works.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 11:52 PM
Ah ok .. so the "opening" step is so that you can see what's inside the rar (before you actually expand it), yes? If this is so, it doesn't sound like it actually does anything with the files at that point .. so that's probably not where it breaks. Thanks for the info.

Test Subject
#44 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 1:05 AM Last edited by Converselove : 3rd Dec 2007 at 1:12 AM.
"To check whether this is your problem, you can *temporarily* remove (NOT delete -- just move to your desktop) all your other neighbourhoods and see if Middleground shows up then."

Its a full download,and I'm using Winrar,And I placing it under My Document,so I think my proublem is:

"remove (NOT delete -- just move to your desktop) all your other neighbourhoods and see if Middleground shows up then"

How do I do that?
Alchemist
#45 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 7:07 AM
Thanks plasticbox - I love the hood you made for Baskerville, and this one should be great too - nice of you to make such decent, small maps.
Alchemist
#46 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 4:04 PM
It has the x-mas feeling all about it! Thanks!
Test Subject
#47 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 4:26 PM
I love Middleground and am already enjoying it, thank you!

There's a little problem, though. Lots 15 and 17 aren't showing up. Any idea what may be the problem?
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 7:28 PM
Aw, that's well cute! And OMG, 08 Riverside Drive looks like my friends house! >>
Well done and thanks a lot for all your hard work It was so worth it. It wouldn't surprise me if this got featured! Go you! (No wonder you're one of my fave creators!)

Rainbow Street: colourful starter homes.
Test Subject
#49 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 10:50 PM
Great Neighbourhood ! And base game compatible !!
I looked at baskerville hoping you would do something for the poor simmers without seasons and YOU DID !!! Thank you sooo much !

It looks lovely in game. My favorite are n°1 and 8 Riverside Drive ^^.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 2:30 AM
otrjam,

I can't think of a good reason why this would be .. except perhaps an incomplete download: are there 19 files in your N514/Lots folder? If not, please redownload. Even if you can see the files, redownloading might be your best bet .. the missing ones could be corrupt or something.

Converselove,

I'm sorry, but if you don't know how to move files around on your computer I don't think I'm going to be able to help you.

Page 2 of 9