Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Middleground -- Neighbourhood with lots; base game compatible

by plasticbox Posted 2nd Dec 2007 at 12:49 AM - Updated 13th Jan 2015 at 4:18 AM by plasticbox

202 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 193 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 9
Instructor
#76 Old 10th Dec 2007 at 10:47 PM
This is a wonderful gift to the community. You are just amazing and so, so generous with your talent. Good tidings to you and your family this 2007 Holiday Season.
Field Researcher
#77 Old 11th Dec 2007 at 3:49 PM
This neighborhood is beautifully done! Loads fast, too. I love it so much that I made another copy and renamed it so that I could use it twice. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort. It is certainly much appreciated!

When one must, one can.
Yiddish Proverb
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 12th Dec 2007 at 8:10 PM
Awesome Can't wait to play in it :3
Test Subject
#79 Old 12th Dec 2007 at 10:47 PM
How do you install this? I am confuzled.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#80 Old 13th Dec 2007 at 6:32 PM
KneazlePuff, Emmerling,

and everybody else with downloading problems: please try redownloading, and if that doesn't help please check the various threads in Site Issues about incomplete downloads, issues with d/l accelerators and suchlike. This kind of thing has nothing to do with my files directly, so I can't do anything about it.

mystical26,

I'm not going to upload the lots separately. People have been saying they've downloaded Baskerville over dialup just fine, so it's certainly not impossible. If you're having trouble with your connection, I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to ask for assistance -- not a Windows person, and longtime broadband user .. I can't do anything but wish you luck =).

corn!,

please read the OP again and let me know which point exactly is unclear.

Converselove,

good to hear you got it to work, thanks for letting me know!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
#81 Old 13th Dec 2007 at 10:25 PM
i think i have about all if not all of your buildings in my game! lol
and i even keep a saved copy of em in a folder on my desktop
this is awesome!
thank you for taking the time to do this!
i think this would be lovely as my legacy starter as it is a pretty, small
'hood.
Instructor
#82 Old 14th Dec 2007 at 10:12 AM
I'm always looking for new complete hoods that are small and have small lots. The only question I have is if the creator have checked their lots and houses to see if they are full operational. I mean they should be Sims' houses not real people houses.
Sims still cannot use corner ends, get stuck between chairs, sofas, tables, corners, etc. I don't like to use MoveObjects, though I have a simplified alias to it.
The case is that we have to stop the game everytime to use Build&Buy. I simply don't understand why. My Uni EP is damaged and Build&Buy works in living mode and never caused any problem. I don't play Uni any longer but I like the damage.

Thanks for the creations.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 14th Dec 2007 at 10:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xptl297
The only question I have is if the creator have checked their lots and houses to see if they are full operational. I mean they should be Sims' houses not real people houses.
Sims still cannot use corner ends, get stuck between chairs, sofas, tables, corners, etc.

Umm .. are you talking about the houses in this hood specifically, or about lot uploads in general?

Like it says in the OP, I playtested all of the lots in Middleground (often more than once; you can sometimes see that on the screenshots), but playtesting only goes so far .. people have different ways to play and different priorities. Routing problems also depend on who lives in the house -- with five retired elders, traffic will be different than with a working adult and four schoolchildren. Users who micromanage everything will see different problems than those who play hands-off. And so on.

So, please do let me know if you run into any issues, even just small ones -- I *want* my lots to be playable and I'm happy to fix things when problems crop up, but first I need to know that they exist =). Thank you!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#84 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 12:25 AM Last edited by strangerous : 15th Dec 2007 at 1:27 AM.
Absolutely adorable 'hood. Thanks for sharing. :D
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 1:35 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 15th Dec 2007 at 1:42 AM.
strangerous,

the good news first: it's very easy to change the name of a neighbourhood -- simply click on it in the neighbourhood browser (you know, the screen where you can choose which hood you want to play), there you can change it.

The bad news: I'm not sure what's causing your issues with the empty hood. I know what you mean, I sometimes have that too (with all kinds of terrains) -- my best guess is that you have a lot somewhere that isn't entirely flat, or that you managed in some other way to create a tiny, almost invisible slope that makes it impossible to place lots there. Neighbourhood deco can also interfere quite a bit (the larger ones in particular -- like forests and rocks). The best way to deal with those annoying slopes, in my experience, is to make some small, 100% flat lots as "flat irons", and then iron out the terrain so to speak .. by moving around those flat lots slowly, tile by tile. Is almost as boring as actual ironing =) but sometimes it helps.

ETA: oops, where has your question gone? Quoted below in case this is still useful.

Quote:
I only downloaded the .sc4 so far, because I'd like to use one of my own names for the 'hood and don't know if it's possible to change it somehow. But, when I try to place lots (empty and pre-built) in some of the places you have lots on the screenshots (such as on Main Street and Langerak Drive), they refuse to be placed at all, no matter what the size of the lot is.

Do you have any idea what's causing this, or if it's possible to fix it? Or (this might even be easier) if it's possible to change the name of the complete 'hood you've made to a custom name?

Field Researcher
#86 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 4:05 AM
i haven't had any issues with this neighborhood..but i do have a question about a file within the downloads.
it says " .DS store"
i've never seen this file type before. is it part of the set?
not only did it show to be in the actual neighborhood file but also in the seperate downloads you supplied.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 11:55 AM
.DS store is an OSX system file, you can ignore that or throw it away. (I have two networked computers .. .DS store is something for the OSX one to remember what the finder windows look like -- completely harmless in other words. It's invisible under OSX, otherwise I'd have cleaned it out myself)

Alchemist
#88 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 8:14 PM
Whee, I restarted my game and this is a perfect spot for my sims to be reborn! Thanks for such extensive amazing work!

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Field Researcher
#89 Old 16th Dec 2007 at 1:00 AM
ok thanks PB...i'll delete it then
Part-time Hermit
#90 Old 16th Dec 2007 at 4:26 PM
I'm fairly ignorant about building related issues, so please excuse the possibly silly question, but how do I place driveways in places where they normally can't be placed, like with Lot 06 -- 12 Riverside Drive, where the edge of the lot is too close to the supposed location of the driveways? Can I use the moveobjects cheat and have a working driveway, or is there some other trick to it?

Thank you so much for this gorgeous neighborhood, it arrived just in time for my plans to start up a new hood
Test Subject
#91 Old 16th Dec 2007 at 6:31 PM
QUESTION:

How do I download the houses that you posted?! D: I'm so slow, I'm sorry!! but I don't see a download link!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 16th Dec 2007 at 10:33 PM
IgnorantBliss,

yes, for those narrow lots you need to use driveway extensions + place them with moveobjects on -- they work just like the regular driveways, only that there's no animation when the car drives off (it teleports to the street). Thanks for asking, I totally forgot to mention that since it's so normal for me =)

kikiluna,

what do do you mean by "the houses"?

Part-time Hermit
#93 Old 17th Dec 2007 at 9:38 AM
Thank you for the reply, it sounds easy enough for me to handle. I'm a bit intimidated by the more advanced building cheats
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#94 Old 17th Dec 2007 at 9:43 AM
IB -- don't worry, it's really super easy! Open cheatbox, type "moveobjects on", place your driveway, type "moveobjects off" .. that's all. This is very very useful on all kinds of lots that don't have room for driveways in exactly the right spot (those driveway laws are a bit silly imho .. I mean, it's not like you can only park cars *exactly* 3m from the street in RL -- they have wheels after all!?)

Part-time Hermit
#95 Old 17th Dec 2007 at 1:32 PM
Yeah, that's good to know for future reference. I agree, the default driveway placing rules are kind of silly.
Test Subject
#96 Old 20th Dec 2007 at 9:28 PM
Great neighborhood! I only have one comment, has anyone else noticed that you cannot call the maid service? Everything else seemed fine. Maybe it's just a problem on my end, but I thought I'd mention it. But wonderful houses and community lots!! Thanks a ton!
Test Subject
#97 Old 21st Dec 2007 at 11:18 AM
Thanks very much PlasticBox... have redownloaded neighbourhood now and its all installed perfectly! Amazing work!

*~ Em ~*
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#98 Old 21st Dec 2007 at 12:35 PM
KneazlePuff,

great to hear you've got it to work -- thanks for letting me know =)

Have fun!

Lab Assistant
#99 Old 22nd Dec 2007 at 12:36 AM
Thank you for this neighborhood plasticbox! I am a mac user too, and its so hard to download any lots that don't give "expansion error" or something (and having no Clean Installer !), but all your lots work great! My neighborhood recently crashed cause of a hack and I had to delete/reinstall everything, so starting new with middleground is very fun. thanks again :D
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 22nd Dec 2007 at 2:26 AM
Problem: same as what happened with baskerville.. i moved a family in and there are no townies at all. I visit a community lot in middleground and there'd be nobody there except those who travelled there.

"Canada's military? What millitary?"
-Phillip Rieser
Page 4 of 9