Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#28151 Old 14th Sep 2021 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I'm going to feel stupid asking this question, but when it comes to certain CC clothes and age conversions, some say they're "repo'd" to another mesh / texture, while others say "slaved." From my understanding, "slaved" means sharing textures, right? If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me! But, does "repo'd" mean anything different? Because I honestly think they mean the same thing, but I feel like I'm wrong. I've been downloading CC for over two years now, and this question has just occurred to me

As far as I know, repo'd was originally used to describe CC that was slaved to EAxis textures, usually either age conversions or separates of full-body outfits, and then over time just started being used as a synonym for slaved, but I could be wrong.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#28152 Old 14th Sep 2021 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natbsim75
... neighborhood corruption...

This is 2021, the game was launched on this very day seventeen years ago, by now we know the usual suspects of the real corruption, and I am sure that you do too. And if someone doesn't well they are pinned above this topic so they can have at it. Having a missing sim somewhere because he was «away» from the lot when it was last saved and there's been a global reset or something in the meantime, is a bug. At some point the only way to never risk corruption is to never ever load the neighbourhood again, that way we're sure we won't do anything sinful with it.
Corruption can happen anytime and will happen some day if we keep playing with a hood, one of mine got corrupted because my power supply exploded , if I remember correctly, while I was saving the lot, and the save was incomplete like a zombie resurrection. As usual I had made a back up copy of the whole folder before starting the rotation/lot/household/week, which ever it was and I just reverted to that. On the other hand, all my old hoods which have experimented VBTs are still alive and kicking because we have the Hood Checker and obviously more info than we even need.

Back up regularly, and keep several back ups, in case there was in issue you didn't notice the last time you made a back up, so you can revert to a safe copy anytime, and enjoy your game.
Alchemist
#28153 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 2:51 AM
Is there a way to make hood deco show up/stay with a packaged lot? I have a couple of HD stumps on my lot and they are super cute, but when I package to share, they don't travel with it. Is there a trick/workaround/placement setting?
Forum Resident
#28154 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 8:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I'm going to feel stupid asking this question, but when it comes to certain CC clothes and age conversions, some say they're "repo'd" to another mesh / texture, while others say "slaved." From my understanding, "slaved" means sharing textures, right? If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me! But, does "repo'd" mean anything different? Because I honestly think they mean the same thing, but I feel like I'm wrong. I've been downloading CC for over two years now, and this question has just occurred to me

They are the same thing. I think people simply started using term repositoried/repo'd instead of slaved some years ago because... well I'll just quote from Wikipedia:
"Historically, the master/slave terminology has existed for decades, although in the 21st century it has been a subject of controversy due to its association with slavery, and some organizations and products have since replaced it with alternative terms"
Theorist
#28155 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 11:34 AM
Two things I can't stand: changing programming jargon and translating programming jargon to any language.

Point of the story: I hate when they change the names.
Forum Resident
#28156 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 2:58 PM
Ah, so "repo'd" is the more recent term? Honestly, when I first read "repo'd," I thought it had something to do with the Repo Man at first Glad that's been cleared up!

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Lab Assistant
#28157 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 6:44 PM
Don Lothario as an elder rolled a want to have a relative get engaged. He has several children, and some of them are adults. He is still a romance sim, I have not changed his aspiration. He also has no second aspiration. Though he is in permanent platinum mood.
So the question is: Is it weird or unusal to have a romance sim to have this want? Because I dont remeber seeing this want ever.
Is it like spontaneous combustion, like it's possible, but extremly rare?
Mad Poster
#28158 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 7:22 PM
This is an all-aspiration want for elders. Even Romance sims, once they hit those gray hairs, like to see their relations settle down.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#28159 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 7:47 PM
Is it possible to hide objects from the build mode catalogue? I want some windows to appear only in the collection but in SimPE every box in the object data is unticked already.
just a girl
#28160 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candyboot
So the question is: Is it weird or unusal to have a romance sim to have this want?

Don might be thinking about lots of young bridesmaids.
Mad Poster
#28161 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 10:07 PM
Also, another -totally irrelevant- question: I play this game since 2014 and my biggest fear (no, I'm not a sim but I guess I could be!) is neighborhood corruption. I have read so many things about it on sims wiki and on posts here on the forums and I try to not do any of the VBT almost everybody says that can lead to corruption. For example I have read that it is a VBT to save the game when all the sims of the household are not present in the house (someone is at work or school) or when there are other sims there who visit the active family or they are employees, butlers, gardeners etc. But I have watched Let's Plays from some very well known youtubers who do exactly that, save and quit the game when sims who are not part of the active family are on the lot or sims who belong to the family are not there. From what I have read, this can lead to problems with the sims data, to which household they belong, where they are saved... Should I not get stressed this much about when I save and who is present on the lot when I do that? Is my knowledge about corruption and VBT outdated and new information has overpassed the sims-wiki articles I, so "religiously" read?

As long as you don't mess with files you don't understand, don't delete your sims/graves, don't mess with universal NPCs you should be fine. If you like your neighbourhood, back up regularly and run it through hoodchecker sometimes. My biggest pet peeve at the moment is people thinking the game is so easily corruptible and it's really not, especially if you're playing casually. I feel like it scares Sims 3/4 players out of trying the game. I've been on the reddit lately and literally everything is game corruption to those people

Your sim is still part of the household when they're off the lot. I've never heard of that before, from experience if you save and then reset the household through whatever means (e.g. reinstalling the game), your sim will just appear at the mailbox - at worst you'll get an angry call from work an hour before the end of shift because you didn't turn up. I've also reset while butlers are on the lot etc and also no corruption. Only problem I've ever had with that kind of thing is a reset when a sim is getting in the carpool - when I reentered the lot, the car was gone and the driver was walking around aimlessly and the household was super slow - but I deleted him using boolprop, ran it through hoodchecker and everything seemed fine, but I have avoided doing it since seeing as the drivers aren't regular sims. I also wouldn't save while they're on the phone because it can cause stuck off-world loiterers, but again not corruption and easily fixed.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#28162 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cassie95
Is it possible to hide objects from the build mode catalogue? I want some windows to appear only in the collection but in SimPE every box in the object data is unticked already.

Yes... Make sure they are in a collection somewhere - or you will never get them back!
Open the OBJD in SimPE and zero out their sort fields.

I don't have time to explain more right now - I have to leave for choir rehearsal. But, I will check back later and see if you have further questions. Good luck!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#28163 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 11:22 PM
For windows, because they're in build mode rather than buy mode, it's the RAW Data tab you need to edit rather than the Catalogue Sort. Switch to Decimal, scroll down to 03.Catalogue Sorting and change whatever's in Build Mode Subsort to 0.
Lab Assistant
#28164 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 11:34 PM
Okay, a truly stupid question maybe, but at least it fits the title of the thread

I take out my download folder to check if the cc is what's causing problems in my game. Once I choose to put it back into my Sims 2 folder, is it okay to just put the Downloads folder back in its place, or did taking it out make changes in my game and I should restore a backup of the whole Sims 2 folder? I hope my question is clear.
Mad Poster
#28165 Old 15th Sep 2021 at 11:58 PM
The last couple of years I have downloaded a few lots from the download section here on mod the sims (some houses, a graveyard, a night club) and they keep... disappearing from my lots and houses bin. For example, I have downloaded Honeywell's whole set of houses twice, I have used 1 or 2 of these houses in some of my hoods, the houses are still in the hoods, sims do live there without problems but the houses are not in my bin anymore. The same thing happens with the graveyard, it exists in almost all of my hoods, I send graves there (because ghosts creep me out!) but when I'll want to place it in a new hood, I'll have to download it again. I download the lots with the Clean Installer but I can't find them anywhere in my Downloads folder or any other game folder. What am I doing wrong?
That sounds like when I was playing Base Game with Numenor's Any Game Starter (AGS). When playing base game lots would disappear from the Lot Bin when I added them to a neighbourhood. When playing with all my EPs (only the first 3 in my case) lots stay in the Lot Bin so I can add them to several 'hoods. What EPs are you playing with.

Also, another -totally irrelevant- question: I play this game since 2014 and my biggest fear (no, I'm not a sim but I guess I could be!) is neighborhood corruption. I have read so many things about it on sims wiki and on posts here on the forums and I try to not do any of the VBT almost everybody says that can lead to corruption. For example I have read that it is a VBT to save the game when all the sims of the household are not present in the house (someone is at work or school) or when there are other sims there who visit the active family or they are employees, butlers, gardeners etc. But I have watched Let's Plays from some very well known youtubers who do exactly that, save and quit the game when sims who are not part of the active family are on the lot or sims who belong to the family are not there. From what I have read, this can lead to problems with the sims data, to which household they belong, where they are saved... Should I not get stressed this much about when I save and who is present on the lot when I do that? Is my knowledge about corruption and VBT outdated and new information has overpassed the sims-wiki articles I, so "religiously" read?
Oh! I couldn't play like that! If I tried to, both I and my Sims would lose nearly all our fun. If you never save with other Sims on the lot, then you can't have sleepovers! If I told my Sims there would be no more sleepovers, I think I'd have a riot on my hands!

I've been playing Veronaville since 30th November 2012 with lots and lots of sleepovers almost from the beginning. I normally save at about 6 a.m., and the visiting Sim is almost always on the lot at that time -- usually in bed with the Sim who invited them to stay! Long before the double wedding last year, Andrew nearly always shared his bed with Julian. True, they didn't woohoo, because Andrew thought that was wrong, but that didn't stop them stripping almost naked and getting into bed together. Andrew's mum Gloria had no such compunctions and woohooed with her boyfriend Garry (now her husband) almost every night. This went on for almost eight real years! As for my numerous promiscuous Romance Sims, they expect to sleep with a different Sim every night! They get very disappointed if they have to sleep alone.

Please relax and try to let your naughtier Sims have a bit more fun! To keep my neighbourhoods safe, apart from the HoodChecker, I rely on making, and keeping numerous back ups. This means that, even if something does go seriously wrong, I should never lose more than a few days of gameplay. I make my backups by copying neighbourhoods to zip files (compressed folders). I'll try to post an illustrated example in your Help thread in the next few days.

If you don't want ghosts, I recommend Squinge's No More Hauntings from Insimenator. I put it in after one night time visit to Gothier Green Lawns. Seeing a ghost there seriously spooked me, and scared poor Andrew nearly out of his wits.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#28166 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 12:01 AM
Depends on what you took out and how much of the game you loaded. If your game was crashing on the loading screen, you're probably good to go. But if you loaded a neighbourhood or household, you may find that any CC neighbourhood deco has vanished, and alien pregnancies from Multi-PT mods may have become unlinked, even if you didn't save anything. If you have a backup from right before you started troubleshooting (always recommended for exactly this reason, and also because it's very easy to zone out and say yes to that save notification!), it's best to just restore it once you've found the problem, but if your backup is an old one, it's up to you whether to carry on and fix any problems that might pop up or roll back and replay.
Lab Assistant
#28167 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Depends on what you took out and how much of the game you loaded. If your game was crashing on the loading screen, you're probably good to go. But if you loaded a neighbourhood or household, you may find that any CC neighbourhood deco has vanished, and alien pregnancies from Multi-PT mods may have become unlinked, even if you didn't save anything. If you have a backup from right before you started troubleshooting (always recommended for exactly this reason, and also because it's very easy to zone out and say yes to that save notification!), it's best to just restore it once you've found the problem, but if your backup is an old one, it's up to you whether to carry on and fix any problems that might pop up or roll back and replay.

Yeah I did a backup just before. My question really just comes from laziness because swapping/overwriting such big folders takes sooo loooong. The problem is just that entering some lots makes my game crash at the loading screen, so filtering out the one piece of custom content will be quite daunting, but at this point it's affecting 2/5 of my occupied lots so it's gotta be done.
Thanks for the reply!
Top Secret Researcher
#28168 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 7:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
Your sim is still part of the household when they're off the lot. I've never heard of that before, from experience if you save and then reset the household through whatever means (e.g. reinstalling the game), your sim will just appear at the mailbox - at worst you'll get an angry call from work an hour before the end of shift because you didn't turn up.

Yes it does happen, I've had the issue a couple of times, the first time the kids in a household were all missing because they were in school and I think didn't come back after school, or the next day and so on.

Pescado's "retrieve missing sim" didn't work, nor any of the usual tricks, but I got them back in the end I don't even remember how because it was nothing drastic (like I don't know, SimPE-killing them to get them back through resurrection or stuff like that).

But it's interesting what you said about the S3/S4 forums, and really a shame that people should stress so much about corruption when we can also see the glass as being half full: as much as we know more about corruption now, we also know more about the game in general and how to fix and clean it.
Back in my days, when I discovered the sims 2 online community anyway, on several sites you could even get banned for writing the debug cheat code, which was considered "dangerous". It sounds crazy and it was, and infuriating too. Today I think that even beginner players have access to a lot of tools and utilities, and tutorials and wikis, and they can ask for help and information in so many places, that there's really no reason for this eschatological terror.
Mad Poster
#28169 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 9:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Yes it does happen, I've had the issue a couple of times, the first time the kids in a household were all missing because they were in school and I think didn't come back after school, or the next day and so on.

Pescado's "retrieve missing sim" didn't work, nor any of the usual tricks, but I got them back in the end I don't even remember how because it was nothing drastic (like I don't know, SimPE-killing them to get them back through resurrection or stuff like that).

Oooo thats strange, I wonder why? Maybe they were invisible but on the lot. I don't save with sims off-lot these days but they always just appeared at the mailbox and then I'd get the "your sim didn't turn up for work!" message

I think once or twice I've had to use boolprop > "add sim to family" to retrieve a missing sim, but I think that was more when the nanny has kidnapped a child or pet. I don't recall having to do it after a reset.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Top Secret Researcher
#28170 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 10:38 AM
Those nannies :D

Mine were still part of the family, nothing corruption-like, where sims disappear from the family tree and such. The game just got confused about their schedule and the school bus didn't bring them back in the afternoon.

About not saving with sims off-lot, yes I think most of us now tend to leave a household early in the morning, when everyone is still in bed or at least on the lot. Ideally before the paperboy arrives^^
Alchemist
#28171 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misaki Chan
Yeah I did a backup just before. My question really just comes from laziness because swapping/overwriting such big folders takes sooo loooong. The problem is just that entering some lots makes my game crash at the loading screen, so filtering out the one piece of custom content will be quite daunting, but at this point it's affecting 2/5 of my occupied lots so it's gotta be done.
Thanks for the reply!

Just to be clear, don't overwrite the folder to restore the backup. Delete the old folder, then add the replacement.
Field Researcher
#28172 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 1:37 PM
Lili975, Bigsimsfan12 and AndrewGloria, thank you so much for replying to me!
AndrewGloria, I play the Ultimate Collection and I have never used Any Game Starter. I think I'm missing something here or I'm doing somehing wrong. What is the "expected" thing to happen? I mean, I can see all the cc and the hacks I have downloaded in my Downloads page but I have no idea where to look for the lots in the Sims 2 files to see if they are actually there. As I said, I use the Clean Installer tool, I follow the way it guides me through the download, I go into my game and whatever lot I downloaded is in my lots and houses bin so I can use it. After some time (I don't know how much time), the only lots there, are only the EA's premade ones. The community lots or the houses I have already placed in a hood are still there but they are missing from the bin so I can't place them in another hood unless I download them again. It's weird...

AndrewGloria, of cource my sims have sleepovers (Don Lothario would have... fleed my hoods like he flees his wedding with Cassandra if I didn't "allow" him to have sleepovers with his numerous flings, lol!) but I always have to wait until the sim/sims who don't belong in the household leave to save my game. This... obsession I have, has lead me to some very... frustrated moments when I was playing the Goths and they had a butler because the freaking ghosts wouldn't go back to their graves before the butler would come for the day, so I couldn't save the game! And the day when their round ended (Monday morning) I couldn't save and leave the household because the ghosts were still out at 7 a.m. when the butler came for work. It gave me one more reason to fire the butler (added to the fact that I usually get some incompetent and/or glitched butlers!) and place a freaking graveyard in the hood to send the graves there.

A kind of stupid (or funny, depends on how you see it!) happened one time when I wanted to place a bunch of students in a "private dorm" I had made in one of the college hoods. I was placing one, saving, going back to neighborhood view to bring the other one in... repeat! After I had placed the second or third AND had saved, I noticed with the corner of my eye that freaking Ron Humble had "materialized" in front of the lot! I had no idea (still haven't!) what is the... "policy" about saving with him present on the lot (I mean, is he one of the NPCs who are not supposed to be "messed" with?). I got panicked, I screamed and then I remembered that it was a totally new hood, I hadn't played anyone yet and I was placing the EA premade college students from the bin so... I deleted everything and I started over. I placed the first student in the "dorm" (I had to remake the "dorm" though, damn you, Ron!), I waited for mr. Humble to come, drop his "gift" and leave and then I saved and continued with placing the rest of the students!
Lab Assistant
#28173 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Just to be clear, don't overwrite the folder to restore the backup. Delete the old folder, then add the replacement.

Oh wait, yeah. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#28174 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 2:11 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Sep 2021 at 2:22 PM.
I have no idea where to look for the lots in the Sims 2 files to see if they are actually there.

LotCatalog folder. They're moved into there from the Teleport folder when you start up your game.

If you have a full, clean install with all the packs, or the UC, I think anything after cx_00000062 will be lots you've installed (without being 100% certain). Before that are EAxis lots.

If you've installed lots or made and put lots into the lot bin between installing packs, the numbering will probably be different, but lower numbers tend to be EAxis lots, and they'll have identical dates from the install date if you recently installed a new pack (my CD ones had all same dates for each pack, while my UC game all had identical dates for the EAxis ones).

You can open the files up in SimPE and look at the description and picture files.

---

(If you use Neighborhood backups and/or regenerate the whole Sims 2 folder from time to time, just remember that there are some files/folders in the full The Sims 2 folder you may want to keep track of too, such as the LotCatalog folder. It's not that fun to have to install lots all over again, unless you want to clean them out of course. Personally I backup the entire folder and not just the Neighborhoods folder, because I'm too lazy to keep track of and/or redo all those extra bits and pieces, and I tend to forget stuff easily
Mad Poster
#28175 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 2:42 PM
Another way to actually see what lots are there in your lot catalog is with Sims2 Clean Installer.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Page 1127 of 1339