Replies: 5291 (Who?), Viewed: 236208 times.
Page 212 of 212
Lab Assistant
#5276 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 2:12 AM
I keep getting worried about that people are saying that pandemic going to last past 2021 and it's going to go up massively in the winter. I don't want to be trapped in my house again, I'm not sure I'll be able to handle.

My other big worry is that one on my friends has fallen deep into depression and I'm worried he's going to harm himself. I don't know what to do.
Top Secret Researcher
#5277 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 4:09 AM
It's currently winter here and we're in lockdown for the second time. It's depressing and I really hope the situation improves by our summer. I don't want to be stuck inside while the sun shines. We all need a holiday. Ha. That's not going to happen in the foreseeable future. It only takes one idiot, one selfish **** to spread this bloody virus. I don't see an end until a reliable, tested vaccine is on the market.
Mad Poster
#5278 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 3:54 PM
My holiday that I was supposed to take at the start of May was canned due to Covid
I was heading up north to Brisbane for a week to visit my dad and his partner
I really wanted to head up there to get away from the cold, considering right now it is 3 degrees
(Haven't really had a holiday in 3 years)

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Mad Poster
#5279 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 6:43 AM
Why add derogatory language in a fictional language if you're not going to translate because you're a family company?! ARGH!

(Back story: as a linguistics expert on the languages Earth normally has in normal usage, whenever I watch a Disney film where a constructed language uses a word they wouldn't translate because it was vulgar, it drove me "WHAT'S THE POINT?!" crazy.

My point, they should only use approved vocabulary or just keep it in an actual human language that has been around as part of the country's history.)

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Mad Poster
#5280 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 12:25 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Jul 2020 at 1:03 AM.
People who for some reason just can't seem to go through the proper channels when asking something. Why is it so hard?

-Topic about finding a file here on MTS? Posted on my site (Why? No idea - they didn't even bother specifying which file it was). Not just once, but twice.
-Someone posts a "help me with this problem" topic, and someone else hijacks it with a completely unrelated "help me with this other completely unrelated problem" issue.
-"Thanks" posts that aren't thanks posts, but completely unrelated requests or WCIFs (related ones are acceptable if phrased nicely).
-People who post in "whatever" section without at least trying to give it an effort to find the proper one. Yes, there could be language barriers, and yes, they could be new to the site, but most of the time forums tend to follow pretty much the same setup. If you've seen one you've pretty much seen all of them, and they do tend to have similar setups.
- People who don't understand the point of stickies. They are there for a reason. All the info is already there, readily available!

Seen all of these the past week. Probably the week before that, and the week before that too. Pet-peeves of hanging out in several forums (and also running one), I guess... :/

And frustration at my family again (various frustrations in the not-so-immediate family, let's just keep it at that).

Also, beginning to see "normal" behavior in the community again, which is a bit worrying, because people seem to have stopped caring about social distancing, and it's harder to keep distance when nobody else cares. My country is at the lower end of statistics, and we've had very little of it in my area (next to nothing), but there's been a vacation wave going, and people have potentially dragged the virus home with them, so I hope that's not going to cause a new wave. We've flattened the curve so much from the first wave it's almost at a steady beeeeeeep--- now, and have barely had any deaths the past couple months (less than 20, none the past couple weeks or so), and the number of confirmed cases has kept fairly low too. I hope people don't forget there is a pandemic going, even if it's not as bad in this particular area. We aren't required to use masks (nobody is saying we shouldn't, though - I'm considering it for a necessary trip to a heavier populated area later this year because that area has had more cases and there could be more tourists, so it's riskier). I just feel a little weird using a mask at the moment because pretty much nobody uses masks here (but if it does get worse in my area, I don't care about looking weird and will use a mask). I don't go out much, and try to avoid people when I do, so there's not that much exposure time (and a lot of shops have plastic screens at the register and hand sanitizers at the entrance for a bit of virus control, and those are two-way).
Mad Poster
#5281 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 6:03 AM
Now the chewing bugs are gnawing through my Dad's leg brace. Just how tough are NJ bugs? We laid down a layer of Raid and my dad got the 40% DEET and still, they didn't give a fuck. They went after my dad's leg brace (it's made of stretchy fabric) and chewed through!

First the stinging, then the biting and now chewing...

You can move to my countryside, but summer mean you're going to be laying pesticides and bait traps for carpenter ants and those bugs with defenses.

Mad Poster
#5282 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 6:23 AM
Set up direct debit for one of my bills, to find out that they haven't been taking any of the money out. Can't wait to see what the bill is going to look like

Top Secret Researcher
#5283 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 5:27 AM
One of my duties is troubleshooting dead links on a website. Why me, with no IT training?. I'm in the dark most of the time. I don't know wtf it isn't working. Get some IT trained person to deal with it. I hate not understanding what I'm supposed to be doing. When I ask, I feel like an idiot and every time it occurs it's something different. Ugh.
Instructor
#5284 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Also, beginning to see "normal" behavior in the community again, which is a bit worrying, because people seem to have stopped caring about social distancing, and it's harder to keep distance when nobody else cares. My country is at the lower end of statistics, and we've had very little of it in my area (next to nothing), but there's been a vacation wave going, and people have potentially dragged the virus home with them, so I hope that's not going to cause a new wave. We've flattened the curve so much from the first wave it's almost at a steady beeeeeeep--- now, and have barely had any deaths the past couple months (less than 20, none the past couple weeks or so), and the number of confirmed cases has kept fairly low too. I hope people don't forget there is a pandemic going, even if it's not as bad in this particular area. We aren't required to use masks (nobody is saying we shouldn't, though - I'm considering it for a necessary trip to a heavier populated area later this year because that area has had more cases and there could be more tourists, so it's riskier). I just feel a little weird using a mask at the moment because pretty much nobody uses masks here (but if it does get worse in my area, I don't care about looking weird and will use a mask). I don't go out much, and try to avoid people when I do, so there's not that much exposure time (and a lot of shops have plastic screens at the register and hand sanitizers at the entrance for a bit of virus control, and those are two-way).
The pandemics isn't over and it's also bugging me that so many people think it's over. The lockdown is no longer as strict as it was in April but wearing a mask in public transport and public buildings like shops and offices is still mandatory. Dance clubs are closed and mass events banned and social distancing is in force, so it's not over yet. I still don't go to church or the cinema because of fear of being infected. It's possible that schools will remain closed after the end of holidays (1 September) and restrictions like limiting the number of people allowed in shops, movement restrictions, or closure of stadiums, cinemas, theatres, museums, shopping malls, covered markets etc. will be enforced again.
Mad Poster
#5285 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 4:30 AM
Having my internet just randomly stop working, to find out that it's not just me, but the whole of the Telstra network that is down

Mad Poster
#5286 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 1:05 PM
Deceptive advertising;  I'm sick of it. 

Yesterday I ordered everything I needed to start making candles again.   Making soy or beeswax candles that are poured into jars or containers is not complicated, nor does it require lots of stuff.  A thermometer, a wooden spoon or something to stir wax with,  a pan to boil water in, something else to put over or in pan of water, possibly something to pour wax with depending on what is being used to melt wax, wicks, wick tabs ( these help to keep the wick in place when wax is poured), wax, jars or containers and something to scent the candles with if that is what is wanted.  There is the chemical based scents or essential oils.

In my search for stuff not imported from China, it took me over a hour to order what I needed. Why? Because companies that are / were founded in the US like to announce that they are a US company and while that may be true, most of them outsource the production or making of their products to China.  I shouldn't have to spend over a hour reading reviews, comments, ect... just to see if something is made in the US or not.   The only thing I didn't have too much of a problem with was the wax. Had I decided to make scented candles, my search for whatever scent (s) would have made what should have been a simple task that much longer.

The questionable thing I ended buying and I don't know where it was made is the wick tabs.  Either they are not made in the states which seems strange to me, or Amazon simply doesn't carry said tabs made in the states. I don't know which one it is and it doesn't matter. Such information should be posted with all the other product information.

This problem is not just for candle making stuff; it is for far too many things.  Apple pulls this crap. Tim Cook yaps about how proud he is that Apple is a American company, but most of their stuff as a "Made In China" imprint or sticker, somewhere.

Top Secret Researcher
#5287 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 8:09 PM Last edited by Emmett Brown : 5th Aug 2020 at 9:04 PM.
So, where did you buy candle making stuff? I been thinking about shopping here... Edit: Never mind this place, their shipping is very expensive!
The sims 4 eco pack got me interested, because the pack makes it way more complicated than I thought that it really is. But my first attempts at making candles with cotton string and paraffin wax was a disaster. I guess the lower temp waxes need to be put in Pyrex glass containers because they melt too much, and cotton wicks are not strong enough to stand up and fall over into the melted wax and is snuffed out, you need a hard braided wick. Someone said Borax on the wick helps, all I got was a dirty candle out of that.
These tab things... I was thinking of cutting up aluminum soda cans and using a nail to make a hole and a punch to make the indent for the knot, and getting some real wick material.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#5288 Old 5th Aug 2020 at 9:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Emmett Brown
So, where did you buy candle making stuff? I been thinking about shopping here... https://www.candlewic.com/

The sims 4 eco pack got me interested, because the pack makes it way more complicated than I thought that it really is. But my first attempts at making candles with cotton string and paraffin wax was a disaster. I guess the lower temp waxes need to be put in Pyrex glass containers because they melt too much, and cotton wicks are not strong enough to stand up and fall over into the melted wax and is snuffed out, you need a hard braided wick. Someone said Borax on the wick helps, all I got was a dirty candle out of that.

These tab things... I was thinking of cutting up aluminum soda cans and using a nail to make a hole and a punch to make the indent for the knot, and getting some real wick material.

I bought everything off of Amazon as all I'm making is basic candles in a jar.  I don't have any experience with making paraffin candles. I'm not a fan of all the soot they produce. A relative of mine has been making paraffin candles for years.  I have ones shaped like Christmas trees that he made over 15 years ago and they still have the scent he made them with.  I don't burn them, I use them for decoration.   I also don't have experience with making things like tapered candles, candles shaped like cubes, ect... it isn't something I'm interested in.  It probably isn't difficult, but I have zero use for candle sticks and so on. Maybe some day I'll venture into using molds, but for now, keeping it simple works for me.

As for wicks, I buy the ones that already have the metal piece on the bottom.  The sticky tabs are small, round stickers. One side is stuck the metal part of the wick, the other side goes on the bottom of the container. They're not necessary, I just don't feel like fiddling around with the wick to keep it centered once the wax is poured.  When the candle is used up, I put the container in the freezer which makes any remaining wax really easy to remove, along with what is left of the wick and the sticky tab-thing. Sometimes the metal part of the wick and sticky tab need a little help via prying to remove them, but I end up with a clean container that can be washed and re-used in the end.

Not all wicks are made the same.  I have had experience with poorly made wicks that made for poor candle burning.  Also making sure the wick is appropriate to the size of the candle / container matters.  Companies that mass produce candles like to be cheap and only put one wick in a 6" container which doesn't work.  The candle ends up 'tunneling' ( the center of the candle melts, but wax is left stuck to the sides of the container) and  they just suck considering the amount of money said companies charge for them.  For container candles, it is 1 wick for every 3 inches in diameter.  Keeping the wick trimmed and allowing the candle to develop a burn pool ( the entire surface of the candle melts evenly) also prevents problems such as soot, tunneling, ect...

If you want to try putting together your own wicks, buy good wick, then get something like a popsicle stick and drill a hole in the center of it.  When you are ready to pour, thread the wick through the hole of the popsicle stick to hold the wick upright and in place until the candle cures.  Amazon sells such things; they charge $8.99 for a box of 150 popsicle sticks with holes.
Lab Assistant
#5289 Old 7th Aug 2020 at 10:12 PM
People in my former favourite discord sever kept making incredibly sexist comments today. Saying that woman are a nuisance and we're all Karens or some rubbish like that. I decided to leave and never came back. How could they say that?
Mad Poster
#5290 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 6:28 AM
In the way society is changing, to meet offline is to look for classes. There aren't many anime\manga art classes for women 30+, it's mostly testing the skill of girls half my age. As much as want to join, I would likely be turned away.

Mad Poster
#5291 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 3:24 PM
33°c and 73% humidity. The whole week will be like this. Please kill me if the heat doesn't

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#5292 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 4:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Bravo
33°c and 73% humidity. The whole week will be like this. Please kill me if the heat doesn't
Same in Szczecin but humidity is lower: 41%. I used to love heatwaves when I was a teen but now I hate the heat and the sun.
Page 212 of 212