Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 2:14 PM
Default Aychpee's Art
Something I did off and on over the course of a couple hours tonight... I -never- draw landscapes... for me to draw something without people is unheard of. So the shading is weird and it's very quick and messy - I barely erased any errors at all... just... let it be what it was going to be.

Based on a place I see in my dreams.

Wind in the Reeds

(Click for ginormous full size)

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Former Incubator of Tiberius
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 6:51 PM
I actually really like this. It's fluid like, just like a dream....amazing flow to it and I adore the colours. Leaving mistakes in artworks can sometimes be a good thing I feel, it can add to the journey of the piece.....where it started and where it ended up!

SIXAMSIMS @ TUMBLR
SIXAMSIMS @ LJ
- S2/S3 Sims For Download
Tiberius Arthur Glover - 06/09/09 / Atticus Oliver Leigh Glover - 08/12/09
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 12:31 AM
ZOMG!!! I love this HP. I cannot draw for the life of me, but it looks so real, so fluid, so whoa! If I had any space left on my binder I would print out a copy and put it on, its that perty.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
#4 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 12:50 AM
HP, this is amazing. The flow is amazing and the feel reminds me of what I see from my camp. It brings back great memories. I love it. Great job!
Scholar
#5 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 1:37 AM
I love the moon. :D
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 4:32 AM
This is very wonderful, HP. Like Keely was saying about leaving mistakes it work, I often leave mine in because it does add something to the work. This fluidity of this is just great also.

Sure. Fine. Whatever.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 9:52 AM
Heeh, thanks for the feedback guys... That's probably my first landscape in like 10 years, and definitely the first one I've finished, so I'm glad it was pleasing.

These are more in my normal portrait style. Fairly new, but not as recent as the one above. I think I'd posted them in the old drawings/art thread but... well, I has my own shiny thread now.

Dirigible

Miranda

(Both clickable for full size)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
#8 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 10:04 AM
wonderful
this is a successful drawing because you were drawing a dreamscape and it looks very dreamy and in the same time also have the mysterious feeling that a dream would have, using lighter color in short strokes against a dark background helps a lot in achieving that dream like state and the wind effect.

So the verdict, a 7 out of 10 if I may. PS: not that I can paint any better.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 10:32 AM
I'm amazed by the two portraits, they're so detailed! I wish I could draw like that, but it's obvious it wouldn't fit my cartoony style anyway :D
Alchemist
#10 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 10:49 AM
Ditto...I wish I could draw portraits like that. They're beautiful You're using your nifty tablet for them, right?

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 11:02 AM
nixie - Hehe, not sure I was looking for ratings exactly, but thank you.

And thanks, Frenchie and Ghani. I looove doing portraits more than anything.

Yes, Ghani - both of those were done with my lovely little Wacom Graphire 4. I love it so.

And now for a hop in the wayback machine, some older stuff done on paper from my pretty people with pointy ears and tails phase (they're a species in the story I'm working on, actually)... Most of this is several years old... In the ones you can make out the numbers in the little triangle, that's the month/year.

My deepest apologies for the image quality here - they are not nearly this washed out and yucky IRL, but I have no scanner, so... taken with the digital camera, they don't come out so well.

In no particular order, besides perhaps alphabetical by filename...

The Acrobat

I has a staff.

(This one's actually extremely tiny IRL - this little guy's only about... two inches tall on the page. Just a doodle.)

Kelenden

Snow

Tualianan

(Click for larger versions)

Instructor
#12 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 6:29 PM
"Wind in the Reeds" is absolutely gorgeous. The style is wonderful and the colors are beautiful. The way you drew looks so casual, but the outcome is perfect.

I also love "Dirigible". Again a lovely use of colors and the expression on the woman's face is so real. I really like the way you added the cogs in the corner and the dirigible in the background.
#13 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 8:28 PM
wow you are an amazing artist i wish i was even half as good as that on my tablet
#14 Old 18th Oct 2007 at 10:23 PM
wow. Those are really good! I like the People you frew, but the landscape is really amazing too.
Scholar
#15 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 2:30 AM
Tualianan is amazing... (I mean they're all amazing) Got any of her from the front?
#16 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 9:28 PM
HP, I love your tablet drawings. The shading is so smooth and even, not to mention the hair looks absolutely wonderful. And as for the pointy ears and tail phase, I envy anyone who can draw like that with no reference, and I love their legs.

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
Test Subject
#17 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 11:07 PM
Wow...the portraits are awesome! I love how detailed they are, nice job!

~Love is blind, i know this because you cant see me!~
Forum Resident
#18 Old 9th Nov 2007 at 11:30 PM
WoW HP those two pics in post #7 are great. The shapeing and the way you have drawn them aswell as colouring really bring them to life
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 4:31 PM

Just a crappy little sketch that I didn't really totally finish because I wasn't loving the style that I mangled together in Photoshop. Oh well.

Former Incubator of Tiberius
retired moderator
#20 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 5:59 PM
I love them all, I can only paint dogs *meep* Beautiful work, gorgeous lines and excellent colour choices.

SIXAMSIMS @ TUMBLR
SIXAMSIMS @ LJ
- S2/S3 Sims For Download
Tiberius Arthur Glover - 06/09/09 / Atticus Oliver Leigh Glover - 08/12/09
Inventor
#21 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 6:26 PM
HP, I love all these drawings! The last one is beautiful.
#22 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 8:22 PM
I adore all of them. Can't wait to see more.
Instructor
#23 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 11:23 AM
:howdy: Hi HP,

I’m speechless… You know, all these years and it’s the first time I ever browsed this forum. I never knew it existed!!! And now I found that you are a great artist – and don’t give up on landscapes; that one is mesmerizing.

Now…you know me: I’m going to jump on and ask a lot of questions LOL
I’ve just got a new Wacom, as my old one went to tablet heaven. But it’s a Bamboo…and I have no idea how to customize the dam pen except when using the drawing program it comes with.

Anyway, what I really wanted is to pic your brain to know what technique you use. Do you make a primary sketch on paper, transfer it to the computer and work over it? (your paper drawings are amazing!!!)
Do you work on layers for highlights or do you use the melting method like “real” painting?

The reason I’m asking all this is because I’m also trying to make digital paintings and actually I subscribe to a great magazine called imagineFx ( site: http://www.imaginefx.com/) where you can see the work of amazing artists. And now I know a real life one…so the opportunity is too good to miss…

When all Courage is necessary, all Hope is justified!

To know something about me read: this interview
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 12:28 PM
Hmm, well, I've seen the Bamboo models and haven't really liked them. Mine is a Graphire 4 and I <3 it so. If I had to get a new one I'd go with an Intuous just because the Bamboo ones seem a little, well, Fisher Price to me so unfortunately I don't really know how to set stuff up... With my Graphire you install drivers and then under the Control Panel there's an entry for Pen Tablet where you can do all of that...

Most of the time if I'm going to draw in Photoshop I do the whole thing there. I start with references most of the time - either photos or from Poser/DAZ Studio, and do a basic sketchy "pencil" outline with a small fairly hard brush on my top layer set to Multiply. I'll often make myself a layer that's just a palette of my colour choices, with a nice variation from light to dark so I can just eyedropper easily from them as I go along, and so I can see that everything coordinates and stuff... Go ahead and bucket fill myself a background colour... Then under that I'll block out the basic colours with a bigger hard brush just to basically get a bucket fill of skintone, hair colour, clothing, etc., in the right places. Then on top of that but under the outline, I'll start making new layers as I do my shading, usually done with a smallish fuzzy brush in very soft strokes to build up the colour bit by bit. I find I skip around a lot too - I'll work on hair for a while, then some clothes, then the face, and keep switching around so I don't get too worn out doing one thing. I rarely combine layers at all and prefer to just leave everything separate, making new layers periodically simply so that if I decide whatever I did in the last hour isn't working for me, I can just delete it and have my old version back easily. Sometimes the outlines end up staying on top if I really liked how they came out and I want a little more... cartoony style... and sometimes I do everything on top and the outlines just get traced over as I'm colouring. Just kinda depends. That last piece I kept the outlines and then duplicated them and made them thicker and bolder and stuff because I was going for something extra stylized/cartoony which is, well, not my normal style and I don't really love how it came out but, eh. Whatever, it was a fun experiment nonetheless.

If you're curious... I've RARed up the PSD for the Dirigible drawing, as well as one unfinished one done around the same time, so you can kinda take a look at my layer layouts and stuff. It's 15.6 mb so may take a while to download, but... http://www.demused.com/Drawings.rar ... I don't label anything and, well, there's like 50 layers in one of 'em but should give you kind of an idea of my workflow and all that.

And thank you for that link! The info there is -very- interesting... I'm sure I'll find some neat tips and tricks to use myself.

Instructor
#25 Old 15th Dec 2007 at 2:46 PM
It’s soooo good to know a layers freak like me!!

I always use a ton of layers and always think other people don’t do it. But I tell you, I’m always “terrified” of merging layers, because every time I’ve done it I’ve lived to regret having done it.

I downloaded you work (thanks!!) and I see that you work on a fairy large canvas and that you don’t use layer styles. I also noticed you don’t use masks, fill layers or link layers (I don’t either): is it always like ? I hear that those are very useful tools, but honestly I was never able to handle them well, so I don’t used them.

Glad you like the link. There are tons of great things and links in there.

If you go here http://www.imaginefx.com/0228775433...ads.html?page=2 under Issue 19 brushes you’ll get some VERY good brushes, that are also useful for sims. And here http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpo...io/default.aspx
are some very good examples of painting clothing.

When all Courage is necessary, all Hope is justified!

To know something about me read: this interview
Page 1 of 2