Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

College Tuition and Student Loans

by kestrellyn Posted 24th Jun 2018 at 11:48 PM - Updated 6th Jan 2024 at 6:05 AM by kestrellyn

187 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 161 Feedback Posts, 25 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 8
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#126 Old 29th Mar 2020 at 5:27 AM
Which EPs does the Super Collection have? I seem to recall that some EPs were never ported to Mac. Also, are you getting errors/jumping/resetting, or does it just not work?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#127 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 4:30 PM
Honestly, what a great mod! I lowkey don't have a clue why isn't this a picked download yet.
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 1:03 AM Last edited by TheDarkLady : 16th May 2021 at 1:24 AM.
Hi, I'm getting an error when using this mod, I think it might be some limit that the loan has hit. The loan value is currently $472058 and now every night when it is going to add the interest I get the attached error. Just wondering is this a hard coded error due to a number limit or can it be fixed? Or is there a way to even just make the error stop occurring (even if the loan can't be increased any more, just so I don't keep getting the pop up)? I wasn't sure if it's okay to click delete on it - would that affect the token/loan amount? - so I just press reset and usually after around 3 times it goes away until the next night. Also, I have the term required version (with the correct load order) in case that makes a difference. Thanks!

Edit: Just realised I can change the interest to 0% to stop the error from occurring, would still be good to know why it happens though!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#129 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 8:52 PM Last edited by kestrellyn : 29th Oct 2020 at 11:19 PM.
Technically the limit on the amount of the loan is over $300 million, at which point you would start seeing issues with displaying the loan correctly or paying it back. What you ran into is, the variable that stores the interest can only hold numbers up to 32,767 and your daily interest now exceeds $33,000. I've added a fix to the files that should cap interest at $32,000 a day, which should prevent the error (although the loan will stop increasing exponentially). At that rate, it will take over 10,000 sim days to overflow the loan, even for your huge loan, so I'm not too worried about that. If your loan gets big enough, you might actually start getting a smaller amount of interest than $32,000, there isn't really anything I can do about that, but it shouldn't cause errors. Let me know if the new files fix the problem.

If you click delete on one of these errors, by the way, you would just stop getting interest entirely on that lot. It might resume again if you save and exit and reload the lot, though.
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 3:47 AM
Thank you so much, that has fixed the problem! The loan is at $590,000 and rising, doubt I'll hit the overflow though haha Good to know about choosing delete on the error as well, thanks again!
Field Researcher
#131 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 7:58 AM
This is a great mod and I like it very much, but I was wondering if you would be willing to make a patch to make it compatible with Lazy Duchess's chance of failing a uni exam mod? (https://lazyduchess.tumblr.com/post...xam-fail-chance)
There is a conflict in Function - Next Semester.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#132 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 12:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I've uploaded a compatible version that should load after Lazy Duchess's mod.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#133 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 2:30 AM
Wow thanks! Thats awesome!
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 3rd Jan 2021 at 10:01 PM
Hi again, I just discovered Midgethetree's version of the HCDU and when I ran it I found a STR# conflict between Inteen and college tuition. I know Inteen is a not so popular mod nowadays but I was wondering would you know how I could fix this myself? I have your mod loading after so I was thinking I could add the string from inteen (CT - InTeenimater - Is NID Old Enough?) to your mod but I'm not sure if I can just add it on because then it will be position 0x0001 in your mod's STR#, while it's 0x0000 in the inteen package, if that matters. Obviously, I've been using boths mods for a long while without noticing any issues so maybe it's not a problem at all but I figure that Inteen string must be, or should be, doing something!

Call Named Tree prim string set
File Type: STR#
Group ID: 0x7f3fdb15
Instance ID: 0x0000012f
Packages Using This Procedure:
InTeenimater_19c_AL\InTeenimater_B.package
zAfterInteen\collegetuition+termrequired.package
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#135 Old 3rd Jan 2021 at 10:14 PM
Nope, that issue can't be resolved. If you load InTeen last, things will break when a sim drops out of college, if you load college tuition last, something will probably break in InTeen, no idea what. It's probably ok to load InTeen last if you just never having any sims drop out of college though.

Edit: I realized, actually, if you load college tution last as you seem to be doing, you might actually wind up having sims pay tuition at some weird time, depending on what InTeen is doing.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 3rd Jan 2021 at 10:31 PM
I've had no issues so far with college tuition loading last - it functions as expected and tuition is paid on time/added to the loan and I haven't noticed anything wrong with Inteen, though something is obviously being overwritten there. Maybe it might be better to swap the order as at least I know what happens with inteen loading last. On the other hand, if ain't broke, maybe I shouldn't fix it haha Thanks for checking that out!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#137 Old 3rd Jan 2021 at 10:35 PM
Yeah, it's hard to say what would happen with college tuition loading last without going through InTeen to see what's happening. If you want to be sure you don't forget about this issue and accidentally drop a sim out of college, you can open the college tuition package in SimPE and delete both that STR# resource and the College - Drop Out BHAV. Then you won't get the feature of paying tuition when sims drop out, but also nothing bad should happen if a sim does drop out. Load order won't matter if you do that.
Lab Assistant
#138 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 9:53 PM
I've removed those two things now, thanks , I don't need to worry about what inteen was doing now. With regards to not having the feature of paying tuition when a sim drops out, do you mean if they come back from a final exam or use the phone to drop out, they won't pay tuition/have tuition added to the token that semester before leaving? That's fine for me if so! At least they still have the rest of it to pay from the semesters they did do.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#139 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 10:44 PM
So I realized there's actually a simple way to make these compatible that doesn't require me to make a whole new set of versions of the hack. I posted a compatibility patch that should load after both hacks. You don't have to redownload the hack or replace those resources you deleted, unless you at some point decide to remove InTeen and the compatibility patch, although the compatibility patch itself will continue to work fine even if InTeen is removed.

To be clear, though, the conflict only involved voluntarily dropping out of college using the phone, in which case, yeah, tuition wouldn't have been deducted from the token. Failing due to bad grades would still result in getting charged.
Lab Assistant
#140 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 3:10 PM
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it
Test Subject
#141 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 3:33 PM
Thanks for making this mod kestrellyn! Quick question - I use both LD's university exam fail and Cyjon's semesterchanges - which version of your mod should I use?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#142 Old 17th Jan 2021 at 7:42 PM
Those mods are actually not compatible with each other, so you should only use one of them.
Alchemist
#143 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 2:24 AM
@kestrellyn, I have Ancient Highway's Term Paper Required and Inteen. I'd been using the Term Required version of this mod and loading it after Inteen and Term Paper Required. So, just to be clear, since I have Inteen, I would add the patch and have it load after everything? Is that right?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#144 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 2:29 AM
Right. This mod should load after term paper required, and the patch should load after both this mod and InTeen.
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#145 Old 30th Jan 2021 at 2:32 AM
Okay, got it; thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#146 Old 20th Apr 2021 at 3:15 AM
Great mod!!!!!!! I love it.
Lab Assistant
#147 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 9:22 PM Last edited by TheDarkLady : 11th Aug 2021 at 10:06 PM.
Hi, I'm experiencing an error with this mod in relation to the inherit loans function. I was testing out the inherit loans function in my test hood because I wanted to see how it worked - in particular, if a sim already had a student loan, what would happen. I got these errors if a sim tried to inherit a loan when they already had their own loan. If they didn't have a loan (whether they had a token for 0$ or not), it worked fine, so it seems like it related to having an oustanding balance - possibly an integer overflowing somewhere because the notifcation says the sim inherited -30,000 for example after the error happens. TIA for any help with this.

Edit: I realised that I added LD's uni exam fail chance a while back but didn't realise you had a specific version of college tuition for it. I've got that version now and LD's mod is loading first. The error still occurred after doing this though. I just want to make sure I have the right packages as well for the mods I have - I have Inteen, LD's uni exam fail and harder grades term required so I have collegetuition+ld_uniexam, collegetuition+termrequired and collegetuition+tinteen_compatibility, the latter 3 loading before the former and in the order listed. Is this correct?
Attached files:
File Type: txt  ObjectError_E001_t256347.txt (116.3 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: txt  ObjectError_E001_t256304.txt (116.3 KB, 1 downloads)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#148 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 12:03 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look.

As far as I know the uni exam fail chance mod is not compatible with the term paper required mod. You should only have one college tuition package, plus optionally the InTeen patch.
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 12:12 AM
Thank you!

Oh, I didn't know that about LD's mod not being compatible - I must have forgotten to run HCDU after getting it because I didn't notice the conflict there (just saw it now) and it's not mentioned in the description. I've sent an ask to LD anyway to see if there's any way around it!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#150 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 1:03 AM
Ok, the bug should be fixed now. I just did things in the wrong order.
Page 6 of 8