Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#126 Old 20th Oct 2006 at 10:34 PM
Well of course I will be buying it. It is sims related! haha
Advertisement
Test Subject
#127 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 9:39 AM
hm, ok, seems not everyone is happy about the next ep... i think it´s going to be great - as not only weather and seasons will come, but more animations for activities - agreed, only weather and some snow won´t be enough for an EP - but: i think there will be many sports-options to go with it.

so far we don´t have any sports (besides gymnastics and working out) in sims2, i think this will be covered with the new ep - and growable food (ok, there is a good mod for that allready) - but farming will be possible (i remember that many people said, a farm would be cool). maybe we get even some new animals with it...ok, maybe my hopes are too high.

anyway i see tons of possibilities in the next ep.
Scholar
#128 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 10:02 AM
i wonder if this will be a sorta seasons/sport/vaction ep...a little bit of all those in one ep? it definitly seems that garden and sports would be in it since it say somthing about getting them outside on that leaflet...and what else would you do out side beside sports and gardening (well for the most part)
it still a toss up for me if ill want it but its sooooo early yet

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
#129 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 10:25 AM
If they're main catch is weather... they haven't caught me
I like the idea of snowball fights, Pool games, growing food and fishing but you can't trust anything Maxis promise at this early a time so I'm going to wait before I get excited
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 10:42 AM
it sounds alright but i'm so far behind on EPs n stuff packs as it is... i've got alot to buy... can't keep up!! Maxis needs to slow down in my opinion.

These are the days it never rains, but it pours - Under Pressure by Queen

You lock the door and throw away the key, there's someone in my head but it's not me - Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#131 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 1:48 PM
"Wishing I could send a successful motherlode option to foxxy moron, cause being behind on ep packs is a terrible thing!"

meantime, it does sound like there will be fishing and farming added, and some other things as well. Like snowball fights, so think about it, even if they dont add everything we want them to, they may provide enough for the modders to create some really good stuff for the community. I can see possibly baseball or bowling (from croquet) or something coming out of the animations. I think maxis, as well as us, expect the modders to turn the game into a fantastic thing, whereas it wouldnt be nearly as fantastic, without them imho! Let us all say thanks to those who make our game better
Field Researcher
#132 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Faithlove13xxx
And I'd say, noting from my rl firends who play, most people do not buy all the expansions. Just us weirdos on the TS2 forum. ; p

thats a bad assumption, everyone who I know... who doesnt have the internet, and does have the sims 2, has most if not all of the eps.

Seasons, isnt just for movie makers, ep's never are, Im sure they will include exciting game and build play with new things for us to use, create and interact with. Im happy with any ep they realease, because I know I will buy it soley on the gameplay features.

Visit designit botan the new site and new url! no really... its new new!!!!
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 12:43 AM
I just heard about it am I'm furious! Yuck! I don't want seasons, I am definately NOT getting that EP!

Imagine playing a house, its winter there, then your neighbors house is summer while across the road the house is in fall. Yeah that makes sense!

I can say now hopefully thjs will be the last EP, as Ill have to stop with Pets, and bring on the Sims3 before that ruin the Sims2 anymore.
Top Secret Researcher
#134 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 1:41 AM
I agree, this expansion pack can offer so many possibilities besides weather; sports, a bunch of new interactions, new animals for you pet-lovers, new clothing, new hair, new decor, plus the modding community could enhance this game even further! Oh and the person who said it'll be winter in one house and summer in another house, isn't it just like it being day in one house and night in another?

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#135 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 4:19 AM
I don't know if this possibility has been brought up and maybe I missed it. But, what if this is how it could work:

For, Base or "Main" neighborhoods and/or neighborhoods already created, there could be the occasional rain/storm whenever. But, whenever a new neighborhood (or sub-neighborhood) is created, you could pick a climate in addition to the terrain (e.g. "Lush and Tropical" for summer-type weather or "Dirt and Snowy" for more winter-like weather). This wouldn't necessarily explain how we would get fall and spring seasons unless those could be chosen too, but this is just a thought. I can see neighborhoods being setup as being "special" and thus tend to have a certain climate; just look at Downtown with its own lighting settings and increased visitor levels. But, it could work like the way "night and day" work in terms of changing with the current lot.

We really don't know much about the EP yet. You know Maxis is probably going to have it adjustable for low(er)-end users and/or controllable for story-telling. Will the weather be controlled by cheats like Pets? Or, will it be controlled via Settings like the Neighborhood View? Will it be lot-specific like Aging? Or, will it affect the entire neighborhood? We just don't know yet.

Just about everything in the Sims world is scaled down. Normally, Sims are only "Adults" for about a month (29 days or so). If a person was considered to be an "Adult" for only 29 years, on this scale, then we would cycle through all four seasons everyday (since everyday would be equal to a year), unless I'm wrong somewhere. Can you imagine a Sim leaving to go to work in shorts and other summer clothing in the morning but later trapped inside the carpool at the end of the day because the road and sidewalk was completely covered in snow and fallen leaves? The Sim's needs would plummet and events (like the carpool leaving or a promotion celebration) would stall in the queue until summer returns the next day to thaw the snow so the Sim can leave the carpool or even return to the lot. A little chaos can be amusing (like the University dorms), but that sort of chaos would seem to hurt gameplay in my opinion. So, it would somewhat make sense for a season to last a certain number of Sim days.

I am probably be wrong on how it will all work out; like I said, we just have the teaser. I'm not putting much faith in random BBS posts proclaiming knowledge I have not seen in any more reliable places. Like a book and its cover, I don't think we should judge an EP by just its teaser ad. There may be things included that you may find you won't play TS2 without them. I have less College Sims now but I will never uninstall University (at least until Sims 3) because I feel I need some of the objects included in it. I originally didn't care for Pets when I first heard about it. Even now, I personally am not wild for it, but I'm probably going to get it (as soon as custom content gets fixed) because it turns out that there are some things in it I want. (Before anyone says anything, I'm not one of those people who buys everything TS2; I lack the Stuff Packs because I haven't been impressed with one enough to buy it. I just think we should give the EP a chance at least until after much more information is given.)

Looking at the English teaser picture at Snooty's page, I can't help but wonder where the idea to include Marco Polo may have came from? :umm:
(I doubt I gave them the idea; but it is fun to pretend. Sorry for being really long-winded.)

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 7:39 PM
Is it something confirmed this name for the new expasion?

And this last time looking back I'll see my home, for she awaits me reaching for my soul. She calls my name, and waves me on. The fallen one, she stands in flames
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#137 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 10:21 PM
It doesnt actually SAY it is called seasons in the promo pic in the pets case, but it refers to the seasons.
#138 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 5:25 PM
i wonder if the pool freezes up when it's winter time. or what happens if you don't clean up the leaves in the fall. or if a sim can get sun burned, or if a sim can have seasonal allergies.
Test Subject
#139 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 7:54 PM
well the promo pic in my pets case says that you get alot of new stuff. ponds that you can fish in in the summer and spring. so prolly during winter you can go ice skating. i personally can't wait for seasons.

@Cowlover: that is what i thought. i mean we all deal with the time and day being differant in the differant houses. So why is the weather that horrible.

"OMG it is raining at the Pleasants and snowing at the Goths. Oh yeah it is also Friday at the Goths and Monday at the Pleasants." Humm From the start we have dealt with the time being differant at the differant houses. So going off of that rule the weather would change to.

Also look at the towns Veronaville is like a mountian ski resort, Strangetown would be summer year round. also with the weather we can have new want and fears. Also if it is snowing outside your sim would want to sit by the fire and read.
#140 Old 24th Oct 2006 at 11:17 PM
Akuma-Sama is right. We've dealt with the time, we can deal with the weather. It would be great if they could somehow have an internal calendar so, for example, in House A it's Monday and it rains, in House B it's a Sunday and it's Sunny, but the next day, Monday, it rains. So the game remember what weather happened when to apply to the other houses. It could work.
#141 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 4:12 AM
I'll probably dither about buying it for a while and then go buy it anyway. :p
I'm skipping the holiday stuff pack, though, but that's a whole different thread.....
On the surface, it looks interesting, but not really developed enough to form much of an opinion for me.
#142 Old 25th Oct 2006 at 12:30 PM
There is nothing about it I particuarly love, and nothing about it I particuarly hate. I'm pretty undecided at the moment, I'll have to wait till closer to the time and see what else I get with it.
Test Subject
#143 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 7:04 AM
I can't believe how many people seem so bored by this, especially compared to the excitement over pets (yes, I understand there are a lot of animal lovers out there, but the cry for a pets EP was almost *rabid* before it came out).

Personally, though, I prefer an expansion that changes the game for all sims, not just the ones who choose to own a pet, run a business or go to college. I really loved Nightlife for that reason, since nearly all sims are going to date/get married at some point, and it changed the dynamics of that so much, giving it so much more depth (sort of like how Hot Date-the TS1 Nightlife-added the lifetime relationship bar), and it added cars, and being able to see your neighbor's houses. University was a big disappointment to me, so much so that I almost wish I had never installed it. Pets I have, but in the houses where the sims don't have a pet it adds pretty much nothing to gameplay, which is kind of annoying.

I love the idea of seasons, it would make the game feel so much more realistic. AND it would open the door to so many new interactions / animations. Maybe I'm more interested in this because I'm not bored at all with the game yet, and therefore don't need a new "thing" for sims to do (like opening a business). I would rather just have another subtle dimension to the game.

"Look, I don't need this, I inhaled my favorite whistle this morning."
--Simpsons
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
Original Poster
#144 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 1:23 PM
A lot of the weather animations are in game - I have no doubt therell be new ones, but they have ones for checking rain and such.

Weather was supposed to be with the base game, it was never finished and shipped that way.
#145 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 6:15 PM
I'm wondering how that clothes thing will work.

Are there going to be clothes bins now for warm/cool clothing? Otherwise...how will the game know? I'm surely not giving up my CC....

Maybe they'll add layers like they did with the pets fur? I don't think its impossible..
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
Original Poster
#146 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 6:19 PM
It would be nice to be able to wear jackets, sweaters, hats that you can take off and still have the normal clothes underneath
#147 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 6:21 PM
I'm wondering how that clothes thing will work.

Are there going to be clothes bins now for warm/cool clothing? Otherwise...how will the game know? I'm surely not giving up my CC....

I don't think clothing will matter, if there are animations in reaction to the temperature, they will probably just randomly happen in the ideal weather event or season, such as hand rubbing in winter and sweat wiping in summer, or in snow\sunny weather conditions.

Just guessing though, clothing factoring in seems a bit overly complicated for Maxis.
Test Subject
#148 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Iscariot
Just guessing though, clothing factoring in seems a bit overly complicated for Maxis.

The layer thing I can see working, for winter clothes at least. They already can do that with acessories, there could be a "Coats/Jackets/Hats/Gloves" catagory for cold or rainy weather.

"Look, I don't need this, I inhaled my favorite whistle this morning."
--Simpsons
Field Researcher
#149 Old 28th Oct 2006 at 11:38 AM
Sorry if this has already been discussed... I did a thread search and turned up nothing.

Does anyone think that you'll have the ability to disable the weather under Options? This doesn't apply to me, as such, but I'm wondering about people with "low-end" computers. I would think that the weather would make the game slightly more graphics intensive.

Still, I'm really looking forward to the EP! It will be a nice, new change in my opinion.

<('_'<) <('_')> (>'_')>
Field Researcher
#150 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 12:45 AM
Dunner: I think they'll make it so that you can disable the weather, but noone knows for sure yet.

Please call me Ace
Page 6 of 8