Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Coffee Gives More Energy

by ~MadameButterfly~ Posted 17th Sep 2014 at 8:55 PM - Updated 21st Jun 2016 at 8:05 PM by ~MadameButterfly~

159 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 61 Feedback Posts, 97 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 7
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Brainbox
Thank you for this mod.

Out of curisoity, is there any chance you could also create some more variants of the caffeine amounts - such as a 'weak' version that is somewhere around halfway between the EA default and your "medium" version (like 25/30 or so), as well as a varied approach that tries to assign more of a real-world-ish variance in the amount of caffeine contained in the various drink types? For instance, green teas tend to have lower levels of caffeine than black teas, and so on. So to use the medium settings as an example, if regular coffee has a value of 55, green tea perhaps might have a value around 10 or so, etc.

I realize the varied approach would be more work than just assigning a flat across-the-board value, but it could be interesting I think. There are a number of various statistical sites you could use as a reference to get an idea for the general disparity in the levels of caffeine present in different kinds of coffees and teas, and then just sort of wing it from there; sites like http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm and http://coffeetea.about.com/od/caffe...ther-Drinks.htm just to name a few.

Anyhow, that's just the thoughts I had on the matter. Again, thanks for the mod; I was beginning to wonder why the coffee in the game seemed like it wasn't doing anything.

If you do the homework for me, and say which gets what, I can do that. Right now I'm a little fried. Stayed up too late talking to my brother who is stationed over seas. (It was his birthday.) I'm not allowed to have caffeine, personally. Or I'd grab a cup right now.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I love this mod but I got the strongest possible for both coffee and tea, nobody in my household was in need to sleep cause they drink coffee on their own, or brewed up some when the energy got in the yellow. I think the whole world didn't sleep, I do have coffee/tea pots on most community lots. Getting the medium one now.

Yeah. The strong is quite strong. lol!

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator THANKS POST
#28 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 2:47 PM
LOL at the "stalking"! ;) Great to see you got it to work, and now that my impoverished sims bought their first coffee machine, I also realised how necessary it is to put some caffeine in that! Thank you!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#29 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 2:51 PM
Also, can you perhaps copy + paste the install instructions into your download post? Just in general, downloads on mts should be "self contained" wherever possible -- it would be good if your post still had complete instructions even if mine got deleted / moved / exploded somehow. Thank you! =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#30 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 3:18 PM
Thank you, I love coffee IRL and it bummed me a bit that coffee was so feeble in game. I think it's in fact decaffeinated coffee they got in there :p
And adding it to the tea is nifty too
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#31 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 3:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Also, can you perhaps copy + paste the install instructions into your download post? Just in general, downloads on mts should be "self contained" wherever possible -- it would be good if your post still had complete instructions even if mine got deleted / moved / exploded somehow. Thank you! =)

Ahhhh, I see! Thank-you! I will fix it to include that. That makes total sense. (I uploaded a couple more, so I will have to fix those too.)

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#32 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 4:32 PM
As a caffeine addict, you have my thanks x3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#33 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 4:48 PM
Thank you so much for this!~
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#34 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 9:43 PM
I love this! Thanks for sharing :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#35 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 10:41 PM
Thank you so much for this! It's totally like Super Turbo Boost. Very useful. I find myself going for another cup of coffee each time one of my Sims does.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#36 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:08 AM
great idea, EA never thinks of these things, thank u
Test Subject
#37 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
If you do the homework for me, and say which gets what, I can do that. Right now I'm a little fried. Stayed up too late talking to my brother who is stationed over seas. (It was his birthday.) I'm not allowed to have caffeine, personally. Or I'd grab a cup right now.

Well, I went ahead and did just that, and I have to say it was a fascinating bit of research into the various coffees, teas, brewing methods, and so on; I love it when things like mods and such gives me a reason to look into random stuff like this.

Anyhow, what I've discovered is that, for the most part, the coffee caffeine settings are pretty much good enough as they are; there would be some difference for the espressos vs regular coffee, but that primarily differs according to servings sizes (as well as brewing methods, etc) and since I couldn't find any way to actually obtain the espresso coffees in game to see what cup size is actually used for them it's probably safe to just assume the caffeine contents for the coffees are good as-is. Side-note: I wonder if perhaps the flavored coffees relate to the teen "Barista" job path, or if maybe they're simply data files included in the base game that EA never got around to using?

So, that basically put the teas as being the main area where a variance setup would be most desirable. Regarding teas, the main things I found out is: Herbal teas (Chamomile and Ginseng) generally contain no caffeine, Green Teas generally contain low caffeine, and the other 'regular' teas (black, oolong, etc) generally contain a moderate level of caffeine compared to brewed coffee (it apparently would contain as much or possibly more caffeine than coffee, as the tea leaves naturally contain more than coffee beans, but the differences in the brewing process and so on cause more dilution for teas resulting in less caffeine). At least, that's the information I was able to glean from a mere hour's worth of internet research, so I'm not exactly 100% confident in my analysis (but it should be close enough).

In terms of what this means for values, I looked at trying to create a scale of values with your existing primary value for each category (55 for medium, 115 for strong) as a baseline for what the "full" strength of the caffeine would be and then set up the scales according to 'None', 'Low', 'Moderate', 'High', and 'Full' content levels. For Medium, this created a scale of 0 (None), 10 (Low), 25 (Moderate), 40 (High), and 55 (Full); the step value working out to be 15 between each level. For Strong, this created a scale of 0 (None), 25 (Low), 55 (Moderate), 85 (High), and 115 (Full); the step value working out to be 30 between each level (slight discrepancy going from Low to None, though).

Putting those values for tea caffeine levels into lists then looks something like this:

"Medium" tea strength (baseline value of 55):
Ginseng Tea: 0
Black Tea: 25
Oolong Tea: 25
Earl Tea: 25
Chamomile: 0
Green Tea: 10

"Strong" tea strength (baseline value of 115):
Ginseng Tea: 0
Black Tea: 55
Oolong Tea: 55
Earl Tea: 55
Chamomile: 0
Green Tea: 25

Anyhow, hopefully this has helped and either gives you a working number set to go with or gives you an idea of where to go with it based on your own judgement; either way, it was a fun little exercise.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#38 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 1:06 PM Last edited by ~MadameButterfly~ : 19th Sep 2014 at 1:46 PM.
Wonderful, Brainbox! I'll get right on it!

Edit: Finished! I did have to do a small adjustment to the numbers, but thank-you so much for your help! The download files should be live shortly.

Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#39 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 2:00 PM
About time and no bladder going down too!
Test Subject
#40 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
Wonderful, Brainbox! I'll get right on it!

Edit: Finished! I did have to do a small adjustment to the numbers, but thank-you so much for your help! The download files should be live shortly.

No problem, and thanks again for creating these mods.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#41 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 8:37 PM
Coffee really needed a buff, thanks for this mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#42 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 3:52 AM
this is great :3 considering how alow they drink i felt the little energy they gained by drinking coffee was totally lost while doing it. SMH.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#43 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 11:57 AM
Thank you! The original energy gain was just not worth it. At least now they can use coffee the way it's supposed to, and stay up longer.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 3:16 PM
Default I think I followed instructions, but it's not working...help?
I'm wondering something. It doesn't seem to be working for me, and I'm wondering if these work if you place more then one of these types of mods in the same folder. I can't have 2 folders called unpackedmod in my Mods folder, and I can't have more then 1 resource file in the folder either. Is there a problem when you place different mods in the same folder? Right now, I have the Medium Coffee, the Medium Tea, the Medium Orange Juice Power Ade, and the TeenForAll in the same folder, using the same resource file, with the added line as instructed. I haven't checked to see if the teen jobs are showing up. I'll check on that next time I play. They show up in my list of mods, but not under script mod, which I assume is correct.

I just thought of something. Am I supposed to change the resource file in the main Mods folder? I have placed the changed resource file into the same folder as the coffee mod (unpackedmod). If I do change the main resource file (in the mods folder), will that affect the way the regular cc's work? Also, was I supposed to unzip them, or leave them zipped, like script mods?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#45 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 4:24 PM
Can anybody tell me hoe to add a line in the resource.cfg
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#46 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simaholic63
I'm wondering something. It doesn't seem to be working for me, and I'm wondering if these work if you place more then one of these types of mods in the same folder. I can't have 2 folders called unpackedmod in my Mods folder, and I can't have more then 1 resource file in the folder either. Is there a problem when you place different mods in the same folder? Right now, I have the Medium Coffee, the Medium Tea, the Medium Orange Juice Power Ade, and the TeenForAll in the same folder, using the same resource file, with the added line as instructed. I haven't checked to see if the teen jobs are showing up. I'll check on that next time I play. They show up in my list of mods, but not under script mod, which I assume is correct.

I just thought of something. Am I supposed to change the resource file in the main Mods folder? I have placed the changed resource file into the same folder as the coffee mod (unpackedmod). If I do change the main resource file (in the mods folder), will that affect the way the regular cc's work? Also, was I supposed to unzip them, or leave them zipped, like script mods?

You only have to do the set-up once for these types of mods (xml mods). After that, you just put them in the /Mods folder as usual. These are not script mods, so they do need to be extracted from their .rar before being placed in the /Mods folder. Your /Mods folder should only have 1 empty unpackedmod folder and 1 resource file.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ironsuperman52
Can anybody tell me hoe to add a line in the resource.cfg

Make a back up copy of your file and place it somewhere safe outside of the Sims 4 folder. Then right click the file that is in your /Mods folder, open in Notepad, on the next line of text paste in the new line, and then save file.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#48 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 10:52 PM
This is really awesome!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#49 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 12:59 AM
WHOA! Thanks a lot, seriously!

Would it be possible for you to change the value of the "Chamomile Tea" for a negative number? I drink it so I can sleep better, so I was wondering if my Sims could do that as well
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zefelici
Would it be possible for you to change the value of the "Chamomile Tea" for a negative number? I drink it so I can sleep better, so I was wondering if my Sims could do that as well
lol That's exactly what I was thinking, mostly for elders sims or sims out of phase that you need to put to bed for school/work
Page 2 of 7