Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#176 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
It's going to have "teen" rating so I guess it will steer clear of any of the more painful issues in life. Will it be any deeper to play that The Sims? Or will we be so bowled over by the curved walls that it won't matter?

I (20-year-old) won't mind the rating.... if they creative enough to get around it. Which is why I guess part of success the franchise has become, attractive even masses of mid-late adults not just with the simulation concept but providing lots of crude humor and comedic tropes in the game. Since many of us grew up playing during teenage years or even younger, I think it would be great if the current young generation also gets introduced with the taste of a new simulator. Of course, The Sims will not disappear and remain the god father where it all began and the thing Paralives can be thankful for If it becomes a hit.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Inventor
#177 Old 30th Jul 2019 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I (20-year-old) won't mind the rating.... if they creative enough to get around it.

The Sims Medieval was creative enough to get around the T/PEGI-12 rating and include EXPLICIT alcohol, gambling and a LICENTIOUS trait. You can get away with a lot of stuff as long as it's not explicit.
Mad Poster
#178 Old 30th Jul 2019 at 1:27 AM
Well, an idie could have it harder no? Idk how EA gets away with gambling being accesible to minors, so I would assymebeing a giant/AAA gives them said priviliege of getting around such knots. I don't exactly know how it works, and how medieval gets T rating while main tiles doesn't work around dysphemisms (unless in actuality there's no legit prohibition and EA likes to refute otherwise)

Mad Poster
#179 Old 30th Jul 2019 at 1:03 PM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 30th Jul 2019 at 1:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MoozyFoozy
3D games didn't come around until the 90s. Pixelated graphics were simply just graphics at the time, except when you were referring to games such as Night Trap that used video capture, or arcade cabinets with a good budget, like Street Fighter. Zelda was relatively low texture at the time, but all games during the 80s were visibly pixelated due to hardware constraints, especially games for home entertainment.

I've always wondered how Stunts would look at a high resolution. It can only get away with those full 3d graphics because the whole thing is running at 320x200 at like 15 frames per second. And even then, the vehicle models only have half the level of detail they do in the menu previews, and most of the decorative building models don't even have any back faces. The world backdrop also disappears completely if you roll your car because there aren't any sprites for that, but then again, the simulation's complicated enough that you can roll your car. If you're really skilled you can even pull a pretty sick drift through those low-poly banked corners.

I feel like you shouldn't compare this game to something a decade newer, even if it reminds you of something a decade newer. You should compare this game to the 8-bit platformers from a few years earlier, where the graphics would freak the fuck out if there were more than two sprites on the same part of the screen.

None of that takes away from the fact that I've arbitrarily decided to dislike Paralives.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#180 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
Paralives on Twitter wants a vote apparently....
https://twitter.com/ParalivesHub/st...876411590283265

I'd like to point out this isn't the Paralives twitter, but a fan information hub.
Lab Assistant
#181 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 9:57 AM
I think that this game is not a competitor to the sims. I do not like the artstyle of the game. The bloom effect is too intense and the models seem to be low-poly. The objects remind me of lego blocks. The trees look like green cotton candy. I remember seeing objects and walls with no texture. I suppose the developers plan to add these textures, but you cannot be sure.
I noticed that you can build curved walls. There are split-levels aswell. That is why I am interested in this game. I think cell shading should not be used to depict a world in games such as sims. In my opinion, this game is not a life simulator. I would describe it as a house-building programme.
Top Secret Researcher
#182 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 10:54 AM
I hope people know that this is not even in alpha stages. So given what we have up till now, we can't really say anything as everything can change up until the final product hits us. This is however, from what we've seen, superior build mode to any sims game up to date, but only that. What happens afterwards down in development is just for the patient to wait and see. I believe in this project but I'll also stay critical of everything that's going to be put up by the developer(s), so that I can see it either improve or just, well be whatever it is going to be.

A competitor to the sims, small chance of that but... as a step in the right direction towards some form of competition in this genre, even just a superficial one, is enough to put EA in some form of engagement with their game. Or at least I hope it will be so. Markets can't grow without competition, innovations can't show in such black and white market, and sims is a prime example of this. So any form of competition, even a barely seeming one, is welcome.
Mad Poster
#183 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 10:48 PM

i want to make myself believe
that planet earth
turns slowwwwwly

Instructor
#184 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 10:54 PM

that planet earth
turns slowwwwwly

Owl city's fireflies? I love that freaking song! And that's sweet how the table cloth works... :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#185 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 10:54 PM
Aren't those chairs from TS2? They look familier.
Instructor
#186 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

That style of chair has been popular for years and years so it didn't have to be a copy. I think my family had some once.
Mad Poster
#187 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
Owl city's fireflies? I love that freaking song! And that's sweet how the table cloth works... :lovestruc

That's the reference. Cause there's fireflies (strangely) in that gif.

Yeah, those chair do remind me from that.

Mad Poster
#188 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 11:20 PM

that planet earth
turns slowwwwwly

If they put so much detail in the table dressing, the rest of the game must be amazing. The lightning is atrocious though.
Mad Poster
#189 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 12:10 AM
Oh god, I hate 00s music almost as much as I hate the fact that this game exists.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#190 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 9:22 AM
At least the furniture doesn't look like it was made of roof beams. Crocobaura that lighting looks like standard Unity scene lighting, where there are a few spotlamps hovering in the sky. Hopefully before the game is finished, the dev will have in-game directional sunlight and ambient.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#191 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 9:10 PM
It makes me wonder about CC for this game. Mainly, would stuff have to be Para-match? Would The Sims CC conversions fit in visually? CC will ultimately be important, because when you're building lots you will, at some point, want to download stuff that's not been included in the game.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#192 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 9:26 PM
All I can say is that if I tried to mod it, it'd probably come out Paralyzed.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#193 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:55 PM
Hopefully will be able to see and appreciate if it provides that good game play we're anticipating, despite the artstyle and graphics and "ts3 moer realistic". Though there's little discuss at this time around when we don't how it plays out.

Mad Poster
#194 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 10:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
It makes me wonder about CC for this game. Mainly, would stuff have to be Para-match? Would The Sims CC conversions fit in visually? CC will ultimately be important, because when you're building lots you will, at some point, want to download stuff that's not been included in the game.

The stylistic whiplash would be hilarious.

Imagine watching a YouTube video and seeing the cutesy-pastel minimalist style immediately get thrown up against photo-skinned blacksimblr content lol
Inventor
#195 Old 4th Aug 2019 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

They're very similar to the QUAINT chair included in BOTH The Sims 2 BG and The Sims 3 BG. It wasn't featured in The Sims 4 because TS4 has a very low polygon budget for objects. Most TS4 chairs have between 100-200 polygons. This chair has around 900. Paralives already having higher quality assets than The Sims 4... a low budget indie game...

Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
It makes me wonder about CC for this game. Mainly, would stuff have to be Para-match? Would The Sims CC conversions fit in visually?

Objects from TS2/3 would probably fit nicely for what I've seen so far. At least MESHES. TS2 and 3 have textures but this game seems to be going for flat colors and shadows/highlights to add some depth. The problem with this approach is that it may end up making every material look the same.
#196 Old 4th Aug 2019 at 8:50 AM Last edited by Inge Jones : 4th Aug 2019 at 10:03 AM.
I am happy with low poly providing the entire scene is consistent, and nothing is screaming "look at me I have been made this way to try and force you to smile". Yes, for me, consistent quality and true scale is more important for my immersion. But I am afraid I already saw something wrong with those chairs. They look like they've been made to fit Sylvanian Families. If the people (when we finally see them) have sylvanian families proportions I won't play the game.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#197 Old 4th Aug 2019 at 10:55 AM
I think it is too early to look at these pictures as if this is the final look. If it is a small team with no people who only do art, then creating textures would be something way down the road imo. Or maybe they are already working on it parallel to the game, but don't have enough finished to create a full scene. The final look is also not needed to showcase the game concept.

I am happy with low poly providing the entire scene is consistent, and nothing is screaming "look at me I have been made this way to try and force you to smile". Yes, for me, consistent quality and true scale is more important for my immersion. But I am afraid I already saw something wrong with those chairs. They look like they've been made to fit Sylvanian Families. If the people (when we finally see them) have sylvanian families proportions I won't play the game.

I am looking at the first screenshots and I see quite generic looking furniture. Those chairs you are referring to can fit many different themes. They are just simple dining chairs.
#198 Old 4th Aug 2019 at 11:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
I am looking at the first screenshots and I see quite generic looking furniture. Those chairs you are referring to can fit many different themes. They are just simple dining chairs.

I am not talking about the style/theme I am talking about the proportions. Look, the seat is deep, and the legs are short. This is how they make furniture for Sylvanian animals who have little stumpy legs and big cuddly bodies.

Scholar
#199 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 7:23 AM
I am not talking about the style/theme I am talking about the proportions. Look, the seat is deep, and the legs are short. This is how they make furniture for Sylvanian animals who have little stumpy legs and big cuddly bodies.

Oh I see what you mean now. Weird. There doesn't seem to be enough space between table and seat to put your legs either. Unless it is for sticky drawn sylvanian animals.

But I guess its all just to show off the concept of the game?
Inventor
#200 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 8:06 AM
If characters look really bad, it could be a deal breaker for me. I don't want photorealistic characters, but at the very least I want them to look like in Planet Coaster: stylized but pleasant to look at.

Planet Coaster had to keep character models fairly simple because there can easily be 2000-3000 people at your park simultaneously. That image of the dog being petted has me really, really worried this game may have really inhuman characters. I don't really want to play with really ugly humanoid creatures.
Page 8 of 73