Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2022 at 1:50 PM
Default Viewing overlays in 3D mode (photoshop alternative please)
Hi all,

I have been experimenting with blender a lot and am enjoying it, but now I want to try and start designing some overlays. I have done a few and managed to get them into sims4studio (not tested in game yet).

But I have a small problem, I mainly work on the modding on my laptop, which doesn’t have sims 4 or studio on it, I have extracted the files I wanted and moved them over with a memory stick. Because of this whenever I want to check my overlays I have to transfer it back to the pc and test it on studio, it’s annoying.

I have seen some use photoshop to view in 3D mode while they are editing, but I can’t afford to pay monthly for it and have read the 3D feature is being discontinued.

Is there anything else I can use? Or should I just keep going with what I am doing now.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, thanks for reading and hope you can help.

(Ps I know it might seem silly that I work on a laptop rather then pc but I am not near my pc often and I work in bursts of inspiration.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 3:34 AM
After much trial and error and various YouTube videos I have been able to do what I wanted in blender, it’s not perfect as some other programs might have it but it gets the job done. Hopefully it helps others. If needed I’ll write a quick guide on how to do it.
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Marvelgirl
After much trial and error and various YouTube videos I have been able to do what I wanted in blender, it’s not perfect as some other programs might have it but it gets the job done. Hopefully it helps others. If needed I’ll write a quick guide on how to do it.

I'm glad you figured it out! I am curious, though, why you don't have S4S on your laptop. I guess I don't know what kind of laptop it is or if it's capable of handling the program. Is it more like a workbook?

On a side note, GIMP is a great free alternative to Photoshop, but maybe not for what you were looking for. (you probably already know this, but wanted to mention it just in case)
Also this is a list of free 3D modeling programs (Blender included), in case anyone else wants to check it out https://www.3dnatives.com/en/10-fre...ware-210720204/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 8:37 PM
It’s a laptop but it’s not that powerful or a lot of memory. Originally for it for just Microsoft programs and some photo editing programs (I use Affinity Photo mainly - got it on sale) I love blender for animations.

The quick guide for anyone that wants is as followed (very easy once set up) - this is for blender though. I was using this to make full body overlays.
Load blender and open user preferences.
Find image editor (on mine it was under file) open the file browser to you chosen photo editor, whatever it is .exe (mine photo.exe)
Save user settings
Have a rig loaded
Change one of the areas to UV/image editor (I use the one to the left of the 3D view)
At the bottom of the image editor section there is a drop menu next to the tab image, click that and select the base you want, it’s usually BaseTexture for me
Now press the button in between the + and x to unpack the image, click the second option write file to current directory
Next press image, and you have two choices either
1) edit externally which will load the file in your photo editor, save and click image reload back in blender, or:
2) replace image with one you repaired earlier (make sure it’s the same layout/scale i.e, put adult male to adult male, child to child ect I grabbed these from https://sims4studio.com/thread/243/...xture-templates
In both cases both images should be loaded onto the model in blender, so you can check for placing of your design or to help with animating such as setting up a target area for the sims to interact with.

Hope that helps someone, and hopefully what I wrote is understandable.