Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[Public Beta] The Randomizer Mod - REWORKED!

by Lyralei Posted 16th Jun 2022 at 4:30 PM - Updated 8th Nov 2023 at 12:43 PM by Lyralei

226 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 188 Feedback Posts, 37 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 10
Test Subject
#101 Old 3rd Jul 2022 at 7:25 PM
I have a question about one of the events in the disaster module, the rodent invasion one. does this spawn one of those bug collectable things? (I'm not sure what to call them) I'm asking because I use the 64bit Mac version and for some reason collecting insects isn't possible, and because I'm on a Mac removing the scenario in S3PE also isn't an option
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#102 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nieri
I have a quick question. Does the "can I stay with you for a few days" option end with you always having a roommate? My Sim's dad asked to stay and I clicked yes. But her mom was getting ready to have a baby and there was no way to send him home, so I went to Edit Town mode and moved him back home. Next thing I know, another roommate showed up the following morning.

Hey @Nieri !

That was the only thing that was possible, since it gives the ability that the sim won't get deleted (or become homeless) by it. And then it doesn't necessarily check the 8 sims only check (which I know, you can change with nraas, but not everyone has nraas), but once the sim tells you that they're going again, the code will turn off the roommates' system.
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#103 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Amber<3
I have a question about one of the events in the disaster module, the rodent invasion one. does this spawn one of those bug collectable things? (I'm not sure what to call them) I'm asking because I use the 64bit Mac version and for some reason collecting insects isn't possible, and because I'm on a Mac removing the scenario in S3PE also isn't an option

Hey @Amber<3 !

EA should totally look into that, because collecting insects is one of the best aspects of the game!

Anyways, it actually generates trash I believe. It calls the same event as my "More scenarios" mod does. Although I think I found a visual bug in EA's code, as there are different trash piles, but the rats that supposedly should show up (this is a basegame thing, not a pets thing) aren't there? :p
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#104 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Golden_Fountain_Pen
This mod brought back fun to my Sims 3 games. However, I have gotten two adoption events only in the form of notifications. The game does not let me choose the life stage of the child, and so the event doesn't take place. Also, my Sims have gotten rumours and the corresponding negative moodlet; but there are no options to comfirm, investigate or deny them.

Good to hear it brought the fun back!

Regarding the adoption thing, the way that it works is:
- You have to make sure that nraas hasn't made it impossible to not have any adoption social workers in the world. You need to at least have one! (and if none, it should be accepted to generate a new one)
- When accepting the dialogue, it takes usually about an hour or two for the adoption social worker to come around, and then the game basically goes through the adoption service process as you'd usually have when adopting a child through the phone.

So make sure those things work as expected I'll add an extra check to see if the world can generate a new one and/or if there is a service in the world for cases as such.

On the rumour thing:
Work and School rumours do have the ability to investigate and they show that kind of dialogue. The more "Live" rumours (So friends and enemies spreading rumours) don't, and that's actually because you'll find out anyway once a friend or an unknown source tells you and forwards the message I figured it would give the player a bit more flexibility to, I dunno, go to their house and argue with them about it (Should probably make this a social interaction lol)
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#105 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 11:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Baxter2316
I love this mod! It's the best and adds a lot of realism to the game.

One thing I have noticed is that the tax return event is a bit confusing. I think the tax return and the tax payment event aren't tied together because the tax return was the first notification and the tax payment event happened the following day. The inheritance and event was also a bit off. I would be worried if my sims relatives were dying at the rate they are lol. She's a millionaire now but I wanted her to be poor and suffer a bit lol.

Love your work!

Hey there!

Lol in the next update I hope to give it a more realistic cooldown (maybe 2 weeks? not sure yet). So then it feels a bit more realistic. Because, even though I'd love to, I don't think the government would have you pay taxes and return taxes over the span of a week and getting rich from it :p
Test Subject
#106 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 6:56 PM
I've seen the adoption thing mentioned before. But 'm also having issues with it. Nothing happens, the popup asking my sim if they want to adopt appears. But there's no way to accept/deny. And nobody ever turns up, I literally waited an entire day in game. Whilst a 2nd one popped up in the meanwhile. Still fun mod tho, the hijacks are something and definitely amusing (Kinda killed Dustin whilst I was playing in a pleasantview world save...there goes my main source of money lol)
Lab Assistant
#107 Old 4th Jul 2022 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
Hey @Nieri !

That was the only thing that was possible, since it gives the ability that the sim won't get deleted (or become homeless) by it. And then it doesn't necessarily check the 8 sims only check (which I know, you can change with nraas, but not everyone has nraas), but once the sim tells you that they're going again, the code will turn off the roommates' system.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure how that would work.
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#108 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by catcatpuss66
I've seen the adoption thing mentioned before. But 'm also having issues with it. Nothing happens, the popup asking my sim if they want to adopt appears. But there's no way to accept/deny. And nobody ever turns up, I literally waited an entire day in game. Whilst a 2nd one popped up in the meanwhile. Still fun mod tho, the hijacks are something and definitely amusing (Kinda killed Dustin whilst I was playing in a pleasantview world save...there goes my main source of money lol)

That's interesting, Maybe it's the fact that I've just finished rewriting the core module and that this fixed it, but yesterday in my play testing, I did actually have a social worker come around. Are you sure that there were any social workers in the townie pool? See https://modthesims.info/download.ph...432#post5840432
Test Subject
#109 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 1:10 PM
That's interesting, Maybe it's the fact that I've just finished rewriting the core module and that this fixed it, but yesterday in my play testing, I did actually have a social worker come around. Are you sure that there were any social workers in the townie pool? See https://modthesims.info/download.ph...432#post5840432

According to Nraas Register, there's 2 always in my pool. So that can't be the problem realistically
Test Subject
#110 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 8:20 PM
Really nice mod, thank you so much for this! My game got much more interesting. I just wanted to know what to do if I want to disable certain events... It says the editing tutorial is being rewritten for now. Do I just have to edit the rarity of the event? Like instead of common, uncommon and rare...
Lab Assistant
#111 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 4:58 AM Last edited by frecklebeans : 15th Jul 2022 at 5:49 AM.
for some reason the Version four isnt loading for me. I also installed " Battery_Utility_1.039_S3SEReminder" maybe there is a convlict? aslo should I turn the "init" option to false?
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 7:33 AM
Lets say I want only diseases and disiesis, is downloading only them possible?
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#113 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 10:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dan1221
Really nice mod, thank you so much for this! My game got much more interesting. I just wanted to know what to do if I want to disable certain events... It says the editing tutorial is being rewritten for now. Do I just have to edit the rarity of the event? Like instead of common, uncommon and rare...

Heya!

I had a chapter for that indeed, but that was outdated

If you're not too nervous editing XML files, what you can do is the following:

1. open with S3PE, the Module you know the event is in.
2. You should see just only one XML file in S3PE, (unless you opened the Disease module), but overall the layout of the XML contents should look something like this:

3. Right-click on the XML entry and click "Notepad". THis will open the file in notepad now.
4. To disable an event, you can change the "Rarity" from "RARE/COMMON/UNCOMMON" to "NONE" This will look something like:

5. CTRL+S, close Notepad, save the package and voila!

The best way though to find the event you're looking for, is checking the "GeneralMethod" name, specifically the last bit of that line, as Events don't directly have an "Id" or a description you recognize them from. (Of course, if this is a module with a dialogue box, then GeneralMethod will be empty, but FirstOptionOutcome/SecondOptionOutcome will help )

Hope this helps! Of course feel free to ask any questions if things are a bit confusing
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#114 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 11:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shadowbird
Lets say I want only diseases and disiesis, is downloading only them possible?

Yep! for that delete all the other packages that have [MODULE] behind them. do NOT however, delete the CORE and the BASE MOdule.

In the end you should then be left with the following 3 packages:

- [Module] TheRandomizer - Disease
- [CORE] TheRandomizerCore
- [BASE] TheRandomizer

Also make sure to give the "What's the deal with the Modules?" a read, since that will answer your question more thoroughly
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#115 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 11:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frecklebeans
for some reason the Version four isnt loading for me. I also installed " Battery_Utility_1.039_S3SEReminder" maybe there is a convlict? aslo should I turn the "init" option to false?

I have S3SE installed and it's working perfectly fine for me

Because, how do you know it isn't loaded? Just be aware that I haven't really put a "Randomizer installed!" notification or anything. However, if you turn "Debug mode" on, the randomizer will share notifications when it's trying to fire something (which is everyday)
To turn on "Debug mode", check out this: https://modthesims.info/download.ph...290#post5839290
Test Subject
#116 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 4:52 PM
Hello! i must say i love your mod!! it really brought back fun in TS3 for me! Though, I noticed that the Base package wont work, at least for me, if another mod (Annoyance Disabler by Knight )is installed. I couldnt figure out why the Randomizer mod wouldnt work for me , but then i figured out it is prob because of that mod. Since i took that off my Packages folder, the Randomizer mod works perfectly!
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 15th Jul 2022 at 5:44 PM Last edited by frecklebeans : 15th Jul 2022 at 5:55 PM.
I have S3SE installed and it's working perfectly fine for me

Because, how do you know it isn't loaded? Just be aware that I haven't really put a "Randomizer installed!" notification or anything. However, if you turn "Debug mode" on, the randomizer will share notifications when it's trying to fire something (which is everyday)
To turn on "Debug mode", check out this: https://modthesims.info/download.ph...290#post5839290

hey lyra , I know how to turn on debug, my problem is the mod isnt creating the events at all . it worked with the previous version though. could it be because I deleted most of the sims in my town and the sims I left dont have any friendships . co=workers or relationships yet? Im not even getting disaster events or random "seeds" like I did with previous versions.
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#118 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 10:52 AM
hey lyra , I know how to turn on debug, my problem is the mod isnt creating the events at all . it worked with the previous version though. could it be because I deleted most of the sims in my town and the sims I left dont have any friendships . co=workers or relationships yet? Im not even getting disaster events or random "seeds" like I did with previous versions.

So the debugger doesn't say anything like "couldn't fire Event" in any shape or form? Because if no notification shows up with the debugger on, then that's quite a problematic glitch I may have to look into. (which is interesting, since I've been playing the mod with my SV save, which used to have the older versions of it as well.)

If it does pop up, check the sim that the mod has decided to choose for this round. (pets are excluded) The debugger will show what modules have gotten through "Phase one" (Requirements such as "Does the sim have any friends/enemies/work/etc". And then we have "Phase two" where it checks the cooldown. So, in other words, whether the modules that made it through "Phase one" still have to wait for a little before they can trigger. (This is tunable in Retuner. You can of course change the days there if you like. I'd recommend restarting the game though when you do).

After that, we have the last check, which is where it grabs a random event of a particular rarity and checks if your sim works with that. It will check this a few times, but if it keeps failing, the module won't fire (this won't count towards the cooldown or whether it has been triggered though).

Alternatively, it might be that due to switching versions, your active household isn't properly set in code. I personally play rotationally, so I'm not quite sure if you don't, and you've updated the mod, it carries over the active household itself. To fix that, simply go into edit town mode, switch to a random household and then switch back to the household you were playing. That will guarantee it's set properly now.
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#119 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by the-story-of-roses
Hello! i must say i love your mod!! it really brought back fun in TS3 for me! Though, I noticed that the Base package wont work, at least for me, if another mod (Annoyance Disabler by Knight )is installed. I couldnt figure out why the Randomizer mod wouldnt work for me , but then i figured out it is prob because of that mod. Since i took that off my Packages folder, the Randomizer mod works perfectly!

Heya!

Are you sure it conflicts with that mod though? I too have Annoyance Disabler (even before starting writing the mod) in my game, but never had any issues. I double-checked it with the latest version and it still seems to work. This is of course assuming you have the latest version installed

This is not specifically an issue with you or everyone per se, but I'm getting the feeling that because the events trigger so dynamically and not to a set 'date' of such, that people seem to be getting confused about whether the mod *actually* works/is installed/loaded.

Would it maybe be beneficial to move the "Randomizer has loaded" messages from the 'debugger' to just a general notification maybe?
Test Subject
#120 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 1:12 PM
Heya!

Are you sure it conflicts with that mod though? I too have Annoyance Disabler (even before starting writing the mod) in my game, but never had any issues. I double-checked it with the latest version and it still seems to work. This is of course assuming you have the latest version installed

This is not specifically an issue with you or everyone per se, but I'm getting the feeling that because the events trigger so dynamically and not to a set 'date' of such, that people seem to be getting confused about whether the mod *actually* works/is installed/loaded.

Would it maybe be beneficial to move the "Randomizer has loaded" messages from the 'debugger' to just a general notification maybe?

Yeah i do have the new version installed! so when i open the game, you know how theres like packages installed thing or smth, well the Base core wont show up, but when i take out the Annoyance Disabler it shows.
If you want to i can show you a picture of what i mean! (I just made an account on mod the sims so im a little confused abt everything haha!)
Plus no events trigger, i didnt have this problem with the previous version!
And yeah the Randomier has loaded as a general notification would be amaizing!
And also thank you for your fast respond!
Mad Poster
#121 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 1:18 PM

Hey @Lyralei ! First of all, thank you for creating this amazing mod! No harm in having more variety during game-play!

Regarding the "Randomizer has loaded" messages/notification: yes, I believe it's better to have something, like a notification as you suggested, that shows up as you load up a Save. (Just like NRaas Storyprogression's notification, or even LazyDuchess' Smooth Patch dialogue.)
Lab Assistant
#122 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 3:56 PM
Yeah i do have the new version installed! so when i open the game, you know how theres like packages installed thing or smth, well the Base core wont show up, but when i take out the Annoyance Disabler it shows.
If you want to i can show you a picture of what i mean! (I just made an account on mod the sims so im a little confused abt everything haha!)

That blue box showing your installed script mods at the main menu only has so much space, so some mods that you install won’t show up there even though they are present and active in your game. Just because the mod doesn’t show up on the list doesn’t mean it’s not working.

As for events not triggering, it may be that the dice didn’t roll in your favor a few times. I had to play four days in game before I had my first event pop up.

I would suggest enabling Debug Mode as mentioned in the download description.
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 7:31 PM Last edited by frecklebeans : 16th Jul 2022 at 8:08 PM.
So the debugger doesn't say anything like "couldn't fire Event" in any shape or form? Because if no notification shows up with the debugger on, then that's quite a problematic glitch I may have to look into. (which is interesting, since I've been playing the mod with my SV save, which used to have the older versions of it as well.)

If it does pop up, check the sim that the mod has decided to choose for this round. (pets are excluded) The debugger will show what modules have gotten through "Phase one" (Requirements such as "Does the sim have any friends/enemies/work/etc". And then we have "Phase two" where it checks the cooldown. So, in other words, whether the modules that made it through "Phase one" still have to wait for a little before they can trigger. (This is tunable in Retuner. You can of course change the days there if you like. I'd recommend restarting the game though when you do).

After that, we have the last check, which is where it grabs a random event of a particular rarity and checks if your sim works with that. It will check this a few times, but if it keeps failing, the module won't fire (this won't count towards the cooldown or whether it has been triggered though).

Alternatively, it might be that due to switching versions, your active household isn't properly set in code. I personally play rotationally, so I'm not quite sure if you don't, and you've updated the mod, it carries over the active household itself. To fix that, simply go into edit town mode, switch to a random household and then switch back to the household you were playing. That will guarantee it's set properly now.

hey lyra! im SO SO sorry to keep bothering you I just want to make sure this amazing mod is working properly for me beacuse I love it. So I turned on debug mode and tested and event and got these notifications:

https://ibb.co/VBHnsD4
https://ibb.co/4ZzTFz4
https://ibb.co/BtX9t1C
https://ibb.co/dsv7sjW
https://ibb.co/K0NmXrb
https://ibb.co/Y0pn37B
https://ibb.co/0CLSRDM

Im ok with the mod taking some time to work, I just want to make sure nothing is preventing the events from firing off because I have SO SO SO MANY mods installed. Also should I turn the "init" option back to "true "
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#124 Old 17th Jul 2022 at 7:33 PM

Hey @the-story-of-roses !

Ahh right that one! yeah In general it tends to not always be correct. I have mods installed that work perfectly fine, but the "Mods installed" view doesn't (always) pick up on those. So it doesn't necessarily mean the mod therefore will never work/hasn't been recognised It's just that it only shows a certain amount of mods before it stops reporting of any new ones.

Other than your "no events trigger" all i can really say is try checking it with Debugger turned on (see: https://modthesims.info/download.ph...290#post5839290 ) and lets hope it will give you a little more info on why it's not triggering
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#125 Old 17th Jul 2022 at 7:39 PM
hey lyra! im SO SO sorry to keep bothering you I just want to make sure this amazing mod is working properly for me beacuse I love it. So I turned on debug mode and tested and event and got these notifications:

https://ibb.co/VBHnsD4
https://ibb.co/4ZzTFz4
https://ibb.co/BtX9t1C
https://ibb.co/dsv7sjW
https://ibb.co/K0NmXrb
https://ibb.co/Y0pn37B
https://ibb.co/0CLSRDM

Im ok with the mod taking some time to work, I just want to make sure nothing is preventing the events from firing off because I have SO SO SO MANY mods installed. Also should I turn the "init" option back to "true "

Hey @frecklebeans !

it's a little hard reading the notifications since they're cut off partially, but using the in-code messages as a reference, the Money module should at least have fired?

Regarding the last message box with "test in general", I know it's not super clear but basically, it means: "want to trigger a random event Right now?". However, be aware that by triggering this option (or clicking "true" rather) the script will go through the modules the same way as it would do each day So, after using the "test random event" interaction about 5 times, it may mean you have to wait till all the cooldowns have cooled down.
Page 5 of 10