Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[New and Improved 9/11/21] Functioning Well - and Off-Grid Plumbing!

by zoe22 Posted 7th Feb 2020 at 6:00 PM - Updated 10th Nov 2021 at 3:01 PM by zoe22

97 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 58 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#51 Old 20th Apr 2020 at 7:50 AM
An option to be able to collect water from a beach or lake on a lot would make this mod even better!!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#52 Old 22nd Apr 2020 at 4:07 AM
By chance would you consider adding washing machines to the list? I use an off grid (aesthetically) washing machine and your mod works on my CC sinks and bathtubs so I think it would work with this washer too!

Even if not, I LOVE this mod! It adds so much more to the lifestyle of my sims!
Test Subject
#53 Old 23rd Apr 2020 at 3:36 PM
I may have missed something in the description and got a little confused. I have the specified installed, does that mean each time I start up my game I have to replace all plumping objects to the interactions to show up? is there an easier way?
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 24th Apr 2020 at 10:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LemonyLin
By chance would you consider adding washing machines to the list? I use an off grid (aesthetically) washing machine and your mod works on my CC sinks and bathtubs so I think it would work with this washer too!

Even if not, I LOVE this mod! It adds so much more to the lifestyle of my sims!

I will look into it
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 24th Apr 2020 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ravierae094
I may have missed something in the description and got a little confused. I have the specified installed, does that mean each time I start up my game I have to replace all plumping objects to the interactions to show up? is there an easier way?

@ravierae094
Hi there, sorry for the confusion. No, you don't need to replace the objects every time you start up. It's only objects that have been placed pre - mod install that won't have the new interactions stuck to them, so they won't check for water or use up water. But once you replace them, they'll use the new versions of the interactions and as long as the mod is installed they should keep them without you needing to replace them. Hope this clears things up
Test Subject
#56 Old 1st May 2020 at 6:46 PM
Thank you for putting your hard work here. I hope more "Off Grid" mods to come. I'm currently making my sim self-sustainable and living off grid too!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#57 Old 18th May 2020 at 8:05 PM
Where I can find the object?
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 18th May 2020 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by michela1390
Where I can find the object?

@michela1390
The well can be found in Decor Misc/Sculptures for 200 simoleons. You can place it on a community lot instead of buying it with your own funds.
The barrels can be found in Decor Misc also for 200 simoleons. These need to be placed on your home lot.
Inventor
THANKS POST
#59 Old 18th Jun 2020 at 9:29 PM
Your mods are very interesting!!! Thank you!! I'm still wondering if this is how much harder I want to make my sims' lives, but in any case, it's a great idea!!!
#60 Old 26th Jun 2020 at 4:20 AM
Is there a way to use this AND stay on the grid? Like, still have plumbing work as usual but ALSO have a functioning well?
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 26th Jun 2020 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Is there a way to use this AND stay on the grid? Like, still have plumbing work as usual but ALSO have a functioning well?
As in like, having a well that you can collect buckets of water from, but they are just decorative? With the mod how it currently is no, but if you really want just the well with the buckets, I could make a version without the plumbing replacements for you. 
Though maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, as I'm not sure what the point of a bunch of useless buckets would be  
Test Subject
#62 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 10:11 PM Last edited by Franklee300 : 28th Jun 2020 at 11:10 PM.
First, I want to thank you so much for making this mod. I really love the extra challenge it adds to my game. Since the second update I have had an odd issue. The space on the menu that normally says use the toilet (or in the case of sponge bathing, sponge bath) is now a blank blue circle. It still functions correctly, but there's no longer any words there.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue, or if it's just me.

EDITED:
The mod conflict I mentioned originally turned out to be a different mod.
Test Subject
#63 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 9:12 PM
I just realized my above post could be confused for me saying the missing words from the menu were a mod conflict. That is still an issue I am having. Before I thought it was clashing with a coffee mod. Sorry for my wording.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Franklee300
First, I want to thank you so much for making this mod. I really love the extra challenge it adds to my game. Since the second update I have had an odd issue. The space on the menu that normally says use the toilet (or in the case of sponge bathing, sponge bath) is now a blank blue circle. It still functions correctly, but there's no longer any words there.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue, or if it's just me.

EDITED:
The mod conflict I mentioned originally turned out to be a different mod.
@Franklee300 Hi there, sorry you're having this problem. I will look into this soon. I did notice when I was testing a new version (not been uploaded) that there was a problem with the Repair interaction name on the toilet (and probably other Repairs too) and have not had a chance to fix it yet. Though I believe that it was only a problem with the repair interactions, not the other ones like Use toilet and Sponge Bath. (Though there was actually a separate problem with the sponge bath interaction but that didn't affect the name for me).

I will double check the versions this weekend hopefully to see if it's the same in my game, though i don't think it was when i tested them.
But would you mind giving me some more info? 
Is your game in English or another language? 
Is it just those two interactions or all of them that are missing the names?
And what game patch are you on?

It might be easier if you PM instead of replying on this thread  
Test Subject
#65 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 4:48 AM
This is so clever! Can't wait to try it out with one of my more rustic sims
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#66 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 9:43 PM
Another awesome sandbox mod! Is there any way to turn it off in game on the fly? Without having to quit/restart and then add/remove the mod from your Mods folder?
Test Subject
#67 Old 11th Jul 2020 at 1:52 PM
This is probably similar question to the one up mine and maybe I just don't get the description right, but is it possible to have this mod working just in one world (saved game) and not in the others? For example I have an (survive mod) island world where this would be awesome improvement for my gameplay, but it seems kind of weird to have my sims collecting buckets of water to use toilet/bath in, for example into the future/modern themed, world. Thank you very much in advance for the answer.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 2:03 PM
@Maxi1999 and @Amira11thank you for your kind comments
There isn't a way to completely shut off the mod without taking it out of your mods folder.
However, if you install the Specified version of the mod then only lots that have the functional well or the stack of barrels on the lot will require buckets of water to use the plumbing objects.
So if you want to keep the mod installed all the time, but have saves where you don't want to play off-grid, you can just not put any wells or barrels in the world/on the lot you're playing and your sims can carry on as normal.

However, an important thing to remember is that even if you don't have a well/barrels on the lot and so that household is not off-grid, the interactions are still replaced with my custom ones. The difference is that the custom interactions will check if there's a well/barrels on the lot, and if not then it will ignore the need for buckets.
What this means is that if you have played in saves when the mod has been installed and you want to uninstall it, you need to reset your town for every one of those saves in order to make sure no sim is using a plumbing object.
The fact that buckets aren't required to use the objects may be misleading to think the custom interactions aren't being used, but as long as the mod is installed they are being used, and so uninstalling with sims doing those custom interactions may break something.
Hope this explains it
Test Subject
#69 Old 12th Jul 2020 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
...So if you want to keep the mod installed all the time, but have saves where you don't want to play off-grid, you can just not put any wells or barrels in the world/on the lot you're playing and your sims can carry on as normal.
The fact that buckets aren't required to use the objects may be misleading to think the custom interactions aren't being used, but as long as the mod is installed they are being used, and so uninstalling with sims doing those custom interactions may break something.
Hope this explains it

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I wanted to know, this is really great mod, so I am looking forward to playing with it. Thank you for your hardwork and fast reply.
Test Subject
#70 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
There isn't a way to completely shut off the mod without taking it out of your mods folder.
However, if you install the Specified version of the mod then only lots that have the functional well or the stack of barrels on the lot will require buckets of water to use the plumbing objects.
So if you want to keep the mod installed all the time, but have saves where you don't want to play off-grid, you can just not put any wells or barrels in the world/on the lot you're playing and your sims can carry on as normal.

However, an important thing to remember is that even if you don't have a well/barrels on the lot and so that household is not off-grid, the interactions are still replaced with my custom ones. The difference is that the custom interactions will check if there's a well/barrels on the lot, and if not then it will ignore the need for buckets.
What this means is that if you have played in saves when the mod has been installed and you want to uninstall it, you need to reset your town for every one of those saves in order to make sure no sim is using a plumbing object.
Hope this explains it
OK thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#71 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 1:23 PM
Amazing mod! Thank you so much!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#72 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 8:44 PM
What a seriously cool idea. Great work!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#73 Old 3rd Dec 2020 at 7:52 PM
I wanna say first I think it's absolutely amazing that there's still creators working on such creative mods for the Sims 3 in 2020. I've seen so many new incredible mods after playing the game for years and I'm really impressed. One issue with mine, I've downloaded the global version that uses pails, and I've found the functioning well, but I can't seem to find the pail in decor! I've looked in all the decor sections, and I even sent my sim to look at the grocery store but it seems to not be in my game. I don't know much about modding but I did open the file in S3PE and I can't seem to find a sprite or anything with the word "pail" in it's description. I've just downloaded the non-global version and I'm gonna try again, but I thought I should share my experience.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 3rd Dec 2020 at 10:25 PM
Hey @AnimalTime
Do you have pets installed? The pail is a clone of the milk pail from pets so you will need it installed for it to show up. It should be in decor misc! You could recategorise it with S3PE, if you edit the OBJD named sculptureFloorMilkBarrel, by clicking GRID on the bottom of the window, there you can change the Room category and Room sub category, or function cat and function sub cat if you prefer
Maybe putting it in plumbing misc, or appliances misc would help? I know the decor section can be hard to find stuff!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#75 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 1:01 AM
Tysm for creating such a genius and rad mod!! Will definitely be using this in my apocalyptic game play!! (:
Would it be possible to collect water from lakes/bodies of water?
Page 3 of 4