Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Polgannon - A Complete Story Neighbourhood Whodunnit?

by maxon Posted 21st Aug 2015 at 11:58 PM - Updated 4th May 2022 at 1:18 AM by maxon

169 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 125 Feedback Posts, 43 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 7
Theorist
#26 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 6:15 PM
We're supposed to guess who the murderer was with help of reading everything, right? Not only the detective and Margaret's story albums and bios, but everyone else's?

There's no lot where the murder occurred, right? Just making sure that my strange camera hack is not to blame for not seeing it.

@joandsarah77, I had no idea the game can read subfolders... This is going to make my life so my easier! I used to name subfolders like: hair_dsb, hair_myos, hair_peggy, etc. As a result, there are a lot of folders for each category of CC.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
We're supposed to guess who the murderer was with help of reading everything, right? Not only the detective and Margaret's story albums and bios, but everyone else's?

Yes, I didn't make it easy for you. Ahem ... sorry. You might find the Crosscheck file in the first post helpful.

Also, you don't have to guess. It is possible to work out exactly who it was. It's just not obvious and takes a bit of work (well probably quite a bit of work). You don't have to play it this way either. You can just play it to please yourself. Please don't feel I'm prescribing what you do. In fact, I'm pretty much looking forward with baited breath to see what people do with it. I'm expecting hilarity. And tragedy. And something that is nothing at all like what I imagined. And annoyance. Good luck.

There's no lot where the murder occurred, right? Just making sure that my strange camera hack is not to blame for not seeing it.

Yes there is and you will find it (I promise). However, there's not much to see there. I included it because it was in the story and you can see it in some of the pictures and I didn't want to leave it out.

@joandsarah77, I had no idea the game can read subfolders... This is going to make my life so my easier! I used to name subfolders like: hair_dsb, hair_myos, hair_peggy, etc. As a result, there are a lot of folders for each category of CC.

Yes, it can. Some people do have problems with sub-folders, especially if they go too deep. I never have but that's not to say my experience is the same for everyone.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
THANKS POST
#28 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 10:07 PM
Aww my first shoutout in someone's download page. Thanks Maxon.
I can't wait to download and start playing the hood. I'm glad all that hard work paid off in the end.
Scholar
#29 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:25 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I see what you did with the Pol Stones....Idk how you did it...or made a playable sim a landlord. Good God this is great programming.

I have already hooked up Rozan and Jory. They are engaged now.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Instructor
THANKS POST
#31 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 5:33 AM
I will try without the CC...
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 9:00 AM
Hello Maxon,

thank you for your great work.
I´m exciting to solve the murder mystery
I have a question, when i play the "Haven cottages", the Tremain family for example,
then the other famlies, Warne, cames over, standing by the window and waving there arms
"help please, i can´t go through, my way is blocked" LOL
When i open the door for everyone, then the whole day the others
famlies eat the food, bother the cat, and so on.
I removed the fences and gates in front of the door, then no more waving Neighbors :-)
I saved the game and enter again the cottages, then strange things happend, I can´t move
any furniture, or use the expensive fridge in the right way.
Can you help me, please? Thanks.
I have the Sims 2 UC, and Windows7 64bit.
(Sorry for my bad english, i´m not a native english speaker)
Screenshots
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#33 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 11:44 AM
Amazing job, so much time and effort spent on this, I will pop this in my faves and save for a rainy day when I have time to delve into it!
Theorist
#34 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 12:54 PM
I want to comment again, because I can't help but say that your lots are gorgeous. I love the architecture, the way you designed rooms, and I love how they're decorated. Your policy doesn't allow sharing the hood, but is it still ok if I copy these lots myself to use in my megahood later?

One question. I was err, "reading" the hood and haven't played it normally yet, so I couldn't check it, but do sims in apartments have to pay for residence? I can't seem to locate mailboxes.

And I love how some sims look. Leonard Pascoe is my favorite so far. Cardews are very intresting, as well as Verity and Margaret. Now on to "read" more households!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 1:09 PM
I want to comment again, because I can't help but say that your lots are gorgeous. I love the architecture, the way you designed rooms, and I love how they're decorated. Your policy doesn't allow sharing the hood, but is it still ok if I copy these lots myself to use in my megahood later?

One question. I was err, "reading" the hood and haven't played it normally yet, so I couldn't check it, but do sims in apartments have to pay for residence? I can't seem to locate mailboxes.

And I love how some sims look. Leonard Pascoe is my favorite so far. Cardews are very intresting, as well as Verity and Margaret. Now on to "read" more households!

You can use them of course for personal use though I will warn you some of the lots are very fiddled with (Lot Adjuster) and may not place easily or at all. Give it a try with a throwaway hood.

Yes, they do have to pay and as shipped all apartments have a mailbox. I can tell you where they are on each lot - if they've not appeared for you, it sounds like something's gone wrong in the transfer. Len's a favourite of mine too. There's a version of him in Little Carping.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigercat58
I´m exciting to solve the murder mystery
I have a question, when i play the "Haven cottages", the Tremain family for example,
then the other famlies, Warne, cames over, standing by the window and waving there arms
"help please, i can´t go through, my way is blocked" LOL
When i open the door for everyone, then the whole day the others
famlies eat the food, bother the cat, and so on.
I removed the fences and gates in front of the door, then no more waving Neighbors :-)
I saved the game and enter again the cottages, then strange things happend, I can´t move
any furniture, or use the expensive fridge in the right way.
Can you help me, please? Thanks.
I have the Sims 2 UC, and Windows7 64bit.
(Sorry for my bad english, i´m not a native english speaker)

Hey @Tigercat58 - I had a look at that and what is happening is they are trying to sit on the seats in Karenza's living room and then route failing. It's a bug in the game coding, not the lot. Sims are not supposed to be able to see inside their neighbour's houses but sometimes they can. You need the hack that stops them doing this - I'll try and find the link though I've forgotten what it's called for the moment. Otherwise, you could try selling the sofas and replacing them with new. See if that stops it. I'll post again if I find the link.

Lab Assistant
#38 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Hey @Tigercat58 - I had a look at that and what is happening is they are trying to sit on the seats in Karenza's living room and then route failing. It's a bug in the game coding, not the lot. Sims are not supposed to be able to see inside their neighbour's houses but sometimes they can. You need the hack that stops them doing this - I'll try and find the link though I've forgotten what it's called for the moment. Otherwise, you could try selling the sofas and replacing them with new. See if that stops it. I'll post again if I find the link.

Thank you Maxon, for your help.
I´ve never heard of such a bug.
I´ll try a another sofa.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
I've just read all the family bios. They seem... interesting. I noticed the detective is a Knowledge Sim, but his lifetime want is to become Captain Hero. It makes sense in the story, but it's unheard of that a Knowledge Sim would have that LTW. You may have used a hack to induce the LTW. Hopefully, it doesn't induce any glitches as well.

Your key words there are 'it makes sense in the story' - that's exactly why he has that aspiration. As for being unheard of, it's been a very long time since there were hacks available that allowed you to assign a LTW beyond the set usually given for each aspiration. It's fine and causes no problems.

I noticed that the parish church is 400 years old, but only 200 years ago, the town seemed to be pagan, or the pagans might have lived in close proximity to Christians. This tells me that Christianity in the town is at least 400 years old, as you need a community to build a church as big as St. Ginny's. St. Ginny, if I recall, also has one customer in the beginning. I wonder who that may be.

It's very common in England for pagan traditions to live alongside the church. Very. It wasn't pagan 200 years ago but behaviours derived from pagan sources persisted strongly.

The pastor seems to be lying, because he is not very consistent. His church seems to be high-church Anglican, because it has the Evensong. High-church liturgies tend to have a regular structure to the liturgical worship, and yet, he says he's busy writing a sermon, as if the sermon must be made impromptu, which may imply a loose and sermon-focused evangelical structure. I think what he does with the parishioners is more important and truthful, because he may lie to the detective that his church is somehow low-church for some reason, or there must be some reason why he takes so long writing the sermon. As far as I know, in Catholicism, priests make fairly short homilies that are always about the scripture of the day.

I think again you are being a bit over-invested in the religious parts of the story. What I've done is based on books from the period (1930s golden age crime fiction). What you're seeing in the story is the sort of thing you get in books. Len is a bookish and elderly man - he's not necessarily writing a sermon all the time but reading, writing letters, thinking, having a nap. Writing his sermon was his main job that afternoon but he didn't necessarily spend all afternoon doing it. I mean he might have been up the hill killing Blaise. Anyway, I could have written all that in the family story but there are strict word limits for the format and I had to get in as much important information for the story as I could and there was little room else to fill out the descriptions. It was, actually, a significant challenge to do that. I would ask you therefore to take it as read that what is said in the family stories part is not entirely literal - imagine what a person like Len might be doing of an afternoon if he's getting ready for work (or indeed sneaking off up the hill ...)

Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#40 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:46 PM
Its here, its here and about time to. LOL great job and it looks great.

If you have an account at the Asylum you may want to check this out. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php...ry/#entry269130
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#41 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:52 PM
Great Job Maxon!
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 4:54 PM
@Maxon

Nothing works, no new seats, new Walls or new Windows.
Poor Karenza all the neighbors stood in the front of the house
and waving their arms.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 5:00 PM
@Maxon

Nothing works, no new seats, new Walls or new Windows.
Poor Karenza all the neighbors stood in the front of the house
and waving their arms.

You did lock the door and made it household only?

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 6:07 PM
You did lock the door and made it household only?

Yes i did, nothing..all the same "waving bug".
I moved all 3 Families out and only Karenza move in again.
Guess, what happened? Now, Karenza is going to the neighbors front door
and waving
I will try it without Hacks/Mods, maybe a Mod is the cause?
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#46 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 7:00 PM
Congratulations on getting this uploaded at least I've seen you mention it for so long, it's great to see it out finally.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#47 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 7:09 PM
I love the Brit feel of this! It's very, very well done. I have too many neighbourhoods at the moment so I won't download it yet - hope the story is not spoiled if at some point in the future I want to try it
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 8:07 PM
Yes i did, nothing..all the same "waving bug".
I moved all 3 Families out and only Karenza move in again.
Guess, what happened? Now, Karenza is going to the neighbors front door
and waving
I will try it without Hacks/Mods, maybe a Mod is the cause?

@Tigercat58 - I still can't remember what I read about this issue and I still can't find it but I will keep looking. However, Pescado's noroutefail should help. You can get it from his Director's Cut.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#49 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 8:38 PM
Now, what strikes me about the story picture is that it seems to portray paganism, so I concluded that 200 years ago in the storyline the neighborhood was pagan. If not, that paganism seen in the picture must be performed underground. Another explanation is that the Anglicanism in the neighborhood tolerated the practice of witchcraft and paganism and magic, because the neighborhood is fictional.

Well, you're right in the sense I only showed the ritual and not any other religious activity (remember what I said about restricted space). I think I should say something like:

Cornwall was (and still is) very isolated. Back in the 17th and 18th century it was officially christian just like the rest of the British Isles but people in isolated communities tend to go on doing the same things year after year no matter what any official institution has to say about it. Does that help?

Thanks for bringing the point up and letting me clarify it.

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 8:52 PM
@Tigercat58 - I still can't remember what I read about this issue and I still can't find it but I will keep looking. However, Pescado's noroutefail should help. You can get it from his Director's Cut.

Thank you a lot Maxon.
I will try the Pescado mod.
Page 2 of 7