Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Polgannon - A Complete Story Neighbourhood Whodunnit?

by maxon Posted 21st Aug 2015 at 11:58 PM - Updated 4th May 2022 at 1:18 AM by maxon

169 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 125 Feedback Posts, 43 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 7
Test Subject
#52 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 9:43 PM
This is a great idea for a hood! Both the premise and the way you've set this up are pure perfection.

And I have to say, as a massive Christie fan, that naming the vicar and his wife Leonard and Griselda amused me to no end.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#53 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 11:44 PM
I'll bite-because I'm a Dorothy Sayers fan from way, way back..and I love a good mystery!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Also, explain "officially Christian".

Do you mean "nominal Christians" or people who just pay lip service to Christ without truly believing or feeling as if they're being called to repent for their sins?

I mean the UK has an established religion* (Church of England) and that's what prevails socially and politically - less so now perhaps but in earlier centuries certainly.

* By which is meant part of the establishment - the political system.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#55 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:46 AM
Thank you for sharing this hood! The amout of attention to detail that went into it is amazing, I can't wait to play it properly. So far I only had the time to load it in-game, install Lot Synchronizer for each family, and read all the bios and family album captions. (still no closer to figuring out whodunnit, but hey, never managed to figure the culprit out when reading Agatha Christie, too. What can you do, I'm a bad detective.*) I do enjoy seeing all the character types and tropes I know from Agatha Christie's books - awful anonyms! Nosy butlers! Unhappy delicate blondes! Vampiric gold diggers!

One thing that worries me, though; I noticed one of the children in the hood has an LTW - I don't currently remember which one it was, migth have been the maid's daughter. Was this on purpose, and if not, does it also appear in your game?
Scholar
#57 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 2:16 AM Last edited by DizzyBoo : 24th Aug 2015 at 4:18 AM.
Okee so Gwen and Cordelia got married (in their living room), Karenza had her baby, named her Elisabeth. With a special memory thing (downloaded here) she put her up for adoption and Cordelia took her (I moved Cordelia out and merged her with Karenza then moved her back out with the baby. So basically I did what you did with Tamera lol). Then used the Sim Blender to make Elisabeth "family" with Gwen and Cordelia. (they are technically cousins lol). Cordelia still wants to adopt a baby so that may come later. And I reset her lifetime want. She wants to have 3 kids graduate...or have 6 grandchildren...can't remember.

Carrow and Davyth have...grown their friendship.

I don't want to give too many spoilers to those that haven't gotten this far but Blaise...deserved to die

So I'm just playing it so far. I read the bios and....I can't figure it out.

Although...I am thinking the answer is easier than you let on... :D

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 10:22 AM
@Maxon
Sooo....I solved the "waving" Problem, finally
I removed all fences and the backdoors and then....no waving arms.
I don´t know how, why this works for me, or why others have no problems with the waving arms.
It works for me and now i can really play the NB and solving (?) the Polgannon Mystery
Thank you again for your help.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:13 PM Last edited by maxon : 24th Aug 2015 at 1:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Tigercat58
@Maxon
Sooo....I solved the "waving" Problem, finally
I removed all fences and the backdoors and then....no waving arms.
I don´t know how, why this works for me, or why others have no problems with the waving arms.
It works for me and now i can really play the NB and solving (?) the Polgannon Mystery
Thank you again for your help.

@Tigercat58 - Well that's good. It implies that it's something to do with the fences. I have no idea why that might be but I can only reproduce your problem without hacks in my game. If I find the hack that specifically blinds sims to what's behind an apartment door, I will let you know. You'll lose a bit of the setting for the apartment lots but there's nothing crucial in the gardens. At least you can play it and I'm glad you can.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#60 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:22 PM Last edited by maxon : 24th Aug 2015 at 1:12 PM.
So, in light of what you previously said, you're trying to say that England has always been pagan regardless of what the state government says or officially establishes? Or perhaps, you are saying that England has always been, on a religious level, pagan, while on a political and social level, Christian, thereby treating Christianity more like a social and political force than a religious movement. Got it, I guess.

I notice that one of your characters makes a silent prayer at home before attending the Evensong, as if there is something wrong with holding prayers in public places. Hmmm... Must be the culture in Cornwall, scooting religion into private corners. In the United States, as far as I know, people are free to express their religious practices. Sometimes, one can catch a glimpse of people praying in public to themselves. I once saw a Muslim kid saying grace in a public cafeteria to himself, and he just minded his own business. The idea of feeling uncomfortable to pray in a public place because other people may disapprove of the behavior feels disconcerting.

Eh PP, you're reading too much into it. England is a country with long traditions and a lot of people. In the past, most people were probably practising christians and it is the 'official' religion but that's simply not going to be everyone. (Christianity is still in fact the 'official' religion though less than 10% of the population go to actual church, I think the figure is actually something like 5% - Wiki has it at 7%). You seem to be reading this isse as the setting should be either pagan or Christian. What I'm trying to say is it has been both, probably since the introduction of Christianity. Old traditions didn't entirely die though they are not the majority practice. I mean I work with someone who comes from a line of witches she can trace back to the 16th century (and who possibly existed before that but there's no concrete evidence). Nobody feels uncomfortable with people praying only it is normally done, like most personal things here, either in the accepted place (i.e. church) or in the privacy of your own home. People don't like to do it in public I guess because they prefer not to thrust their own beliefs in front of everyone else just like you wouldn't publically mourn here (though you might wear black to show you are in mouring - that doesn't happen much now having said that but whatever. English people are, by default, generally private for personal things).

So far, there seems to be five active Christians in Polgannon: the pastor, the pastor's wife, the pastor's son, the woman who is doing charity works, and the man who is a bit confrontational toward the witch, plus he's got his own issues to deal with. Playing that guy probably isn't going to be easy, if one wants to play to his character in the story, because he has a position in the church, yet his worldly ambitions of lust sometimes get in the way - unless he marries and uses marriage to channel his sexual wants. But Romance Sims don't want to marry, so in his case, his unwillingness to marry may be interpreted as a sign that he is quite ambivalent about his duties as the pastor's curate. maxon, why did you make him a Romance Sim anyway?

Because it's a fact, sad or otherwise in whatever point of view you take, that some intensely religious people are obsessed with sex - their own or other people's.

Look PP, I know relgion and ideas about it is important to you (and it's an interesting topic I agree) but for me it's just setting for the story. There's no particular significance to the religion and the way it is portrayed in Polgannon. I just included commonplace ideas either from books or my own knowledge of my own culture and people I know (for a completely non-religious person, I seem to know an awful lot of vicars, priests, imams, rabbis and so on - not to mention the aforementioned witch). I can't really say any more than that.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Queen of France
One thing that worries me, though; I noticed one of the children in the hood has an LTW - I don't currently remember which one it was, migth have been the maid's daughter. Was this on purpose, and if not, does it also appear in your game?

@Queen of France - No it's Grow Up in the version that shipped. I checked all the kids (toddlers and children) and they all have 'Grow Up' as they should. Sounds like something has gone wrong there. Start a new copy?

Weird things can happen in the transfer, especially with a complex neighbourhood like this one.

Quote: Originally posted by DizzyBoo
I don't want to give too many spoilers to those that haven't gotten this far but Blaise...deserved to die

@Tigercat58 - giglols.

Test Subject
#63 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 4:05 PM
I'm just wondering.. Is all of the CC included, or does it need to be downloaded manually? Because it simply doesn't say (not that I'm aware of at least)

Pardon me if this has already been answered.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
@Tigercat58 - giglols.

Sorry, Maxon what "giglols" mean?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#65 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ÄppelPie
I'm just wondering.. Is all of the CC included, or does it need to be downloaded manually? Because it simply doesn't say (not that I'm aware of at least)

Pardon me if this has already been answered.

@ÄppelPie
It's all included in the downloadable file. There are two files - one is the neighbourhood, the other is the CC.
Sorry, Maxon what "giglols" mean?

A silly way of saying <giggles>

I was laughing at how you described Blaise. Man, I really tried to make him awful.

Lab Assistant
#66 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 4:59 PM
A silly way of saying <giggles>
I was laughing at how you described Blaise. Man, I really tried to make him awful.

Ah..okay...but it was not me that was DizzyBoo

"Originally Posted by DizzyBoo:
I don't want to give too many spoilers to those that haven't gotten this far but Blaise...deserved to die"
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 5:57 PM
Ah..okay...but it was not me that was DizzyBoo

"Originally Posted by DizzyBoo:
I don't want to give too many spoilers to those that haven't gotten this far but Blaise...deserved to die"

Oh sorry - getting mixed up with all the posts.

Scholar
#68 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 7:48 PM
Oh sorry - getting mixed up with all the posts.

I saw that and was like...what did maxon mean?

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 10:08 PM
This looks amazing. I download both files and I keep getting an error message when extracting, using both WinRAR and 7zip. I will keep trying, but something is missing when I put it in the neighborhoods folder, becuase it does not show. I have removed and regenerated the neighborhood template as well, still no luck.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#70 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CoffeenSimming
This looks amazing. I download both files and I keep getting an error message when extracting, using both WinRAR and 7zip. I will keep trying, but something is missing when I put it in the neighborhoods folder, becuase it does not show. I have removed and regenerated the neighborhood template as well, still no luck.

@CoffeenSimming I can put both files up on Mediafire and you could try downloading from there - it might be an error downloading from the site. But as far as I can see the rar files are behaving as expected. I'll send you the link.

Lab Assistant
#71 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 11:04 PM Last edited by CoffeenSimming : 24th Aug 2015 at 11:22 PM.
@CoffeenSimming I can put both files up on Mediafire and you could try downloading from there - it might be an error downloading from the site. But as far as I can see the rar files are behaving as expected. I'll send you the link.

@maxon That was odd I tried it agian and this time it worked. Thank u much
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CoffeenSimming
@maxon That was odd I tried it agian and this time it worked. Thank u much

@CoffeenSimming - Oh good - just a duff download then. Ignore my PM.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#73 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 3:16 AM
I've just taken a peek at the families and buildings. This is a remarkable undertaking! I love the amount of detail in the houses, families and neighborhood. The main street is really remarkable. I love how you have built businesses on both sides of the street. I have noticed that the poor pets are sinking into the floors though.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#74 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 4:22 AM
Drat it, I'm behind again! I am off my computer for a few days and come back to the reveal of Polgannon! I feel like the white rabbit, running around my office squeaking "I'm late! I'm late!" I was so anticipating being one of the first to get my greedy little paws on it, and no, instead, there were about 280 simmers ahead of me when I got to download it! Well done, maxon, I think Polgannon is going to be a smash hit by the looks of the download count and comments here and on the dedicated thread. Congratulations and Thank You!!! :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc
(vllygrl scuttles off rubbing hands together to dive headfirst into Polgannon . . . )
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alawren
I've just taken a peek at the families and buildings. This is a remarkable undertaking! I love the amount of detail in the houses, families and neighborhood. The main street is really remarkable. I love how you have built businesses on both sides of the street. I have noticed that the poor pets are sinking into the floors though.

I think that's just an issue with the neighbourhood transfer as the game resets.

Glad you like it @vllygrl - PM me when you know who did it!!

Page 3 of 7