Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#28751 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kligma
I see, thanks. But no, I have OFB, Nightlife and Freetime. I just don't get the option to create new folder within that folder.

If it's a permission issue, are you sure you're in the right place? Downloads should go in Documents, not Program Files - the Permissions issue is rarely a problem in Documents (unless you're on a shared computer, or have issues with OneDrive messing up in Windows 10 or some such - that one can be a pain in the behind if you save your downloads in there, so make sure the file path to your Downloads folder doesn't have "OneDrive" anywhere in it).
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#28752 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 5:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I wouldn't mind the social worker taking away a child who was being neglected or abused. But Peter was clearly neither. There was simply a glitch or mix-up about him getting on the 'bus. In the circumstances I think the school or the 'bus company should have made a special arrangement. They should have sent a taxi for him.

Thanks Everyone!

I have never known a school or bus company that would have given enough of a crap to send a taxi lol. If he was going to become a townie anyway you should have let the SW take him and then someone from your hood could have adopted him.
Top Secret Researcher
#28753 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 6:08 AM
I got pink flashing! My sims were on vacation at three lakes. It wasn't the first day, day 3 I think, and they went to a lot and it started flashing pink! I was able to get them to go back to their lodgings, which was fine, unless it just didn't start up quick enough, and save and exit the game. I then tried to figure out what to do, downloaded (well re-downloaded, having it uninstall the old one) the GRM and did that, though I believe I did that before so I guess I redid it. I deleted the cache (like I always do), did hoodchecker (again, like I always do, nothing out of the ordinary), and went back in. I adjusted some settings (like hood view from extra large to large, reflections off because I don't care). I had saw something about trees contributing to pink flashing so I went into the lot that was flashing pink before and deleted some trees. Their lodgings showed pink in map view but when I went in it was fine, had them go back to the other lot that was flashing pink before and it was fine but I need to go to bed so I didn't play long but long enough to realize for some reason they can't join slap dance anymore and I don't know why. That's what they were doing I think when it started flashing pink. I went to neighborhood view and the lot wasn't pink anymore, and then exited the game because I need to go to bed.

What happened? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? Or will that just happen after playing long enough (though it wasn't that long this time at all but maybe all the trees and crap? I had realized when I first got them to Three Lakes I needed to go into every lot to add the batbox and things, so the first day they were in the cabins but then the second day moved to the tents so I could add the stuff to the cabins, so I was in every lot.).
Screenshots

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#28754 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 10:02 AM
Was this a game installed lot or one you downloaded and put in the game?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#28755 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 2:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote: Originally posted by topp
What happens when you go to your Downloads folder and press CTRL+SHIFT+N?

Nothing happens at all.

It sounds like a Windows permissions problem. If you right-click on your Sims 2 Downloads folder and select Properties, you should see a tab marked "Security". (It may be called "Permissions" in some older Windows versions.) On the Security tab you should see a list of "Group or user names". Your own user name for the computer should be in the list. Select it and see what permissions you have for the folder. You should have "Full control" ticked. If you haven't, you should edit the permission to give yourself full control of the folder. How you actually do that seems to me to get mote complicated with each new release of Windows. What version of Windows do you have (or are you a Mac user)?

I checked it now, and I do have full control. It's a Windows 7.

@Simmer22 Yeah, I'm in Documents. Permissions doesn't seem to be the problem.

I am Error.
Mad Poster
#28756 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 2:10 PM
Do any of the Right-click and "new folder", or the "new folder" option in the file view window work?
If not, do they work elsewhere on your computer?
Alchemist
#28757 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 2:13 PM
Or maybe, have you locked the folder somehow against changes, made it read only, etc?

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Top Secret Researcher
#28758 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Was this a game installed lot or one you downloaded and put in the game?

Game installed lot. The Lumber Mill Range lot in Three Lakes.

My Simblr
He/They
Alchemist
#28760 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 5:36 PM
Also, another thing to try is to generate a new TS2 folder and see if the problem persists. (So rename your old folder, start the game and let it create a new TS2 folder, then exit.)

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#28761 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
Could be some kind windows 7 bug or malware issue, Windows 7 is no longer supported and therefore any new malware or bug can therefore be created and downloaded off the internet for windows 7 and Microsoft would not fix this issue. ...

Doubtful. I've used Win7 for roughly 8 years on a different computer, never run into something similar, even on mom's Win7 laptop (that thing's been going even longer than my old one) - which is why I asked if it's an issue elsewhere on the computer or just in the TS2 folder. Could have something to do with where/how the game is installed, harddrive issues, if you've set the game to sync to a backup drive (with the wrong settings), and all sorts of things.

Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Also, another thing to try is to generate a new TS2 folder and see if the problem persists. (So rename your old folder, start the game and let it create a new TS2 folder, then exit.)

Second that.

Also see if any folder properties have been hidden or some such. Could be new folders for some reason don't show because they're hidden in the properties. Would be a bit strange, but if you are having issues...

Could also be you have a very over-eager antivirus program (or some Windows settings) that for whatever reason decides to deny access to making folders in that particular part of your harddrive. Usually more of an issue in ProgramFiles, though.
Field Researcher
#28762 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
If you only have Basegame or UNI, then there are some things that can't be placed in subfolders. See the SimsWiki page for more info about subfoldering.
I don't understand. I have a complete game set. I subfolder all those items the wiki says I cannot subfolder except sims themselves (not sure what they mean by this - the sims file from the simspack I assume, and I've subfoldered that file too once in a while) and collection files. Skin, makeup, eyes, etc., have been subfoldered in my game for many years. They all work. I don't get why they wouldn't.
Mad Poster
#28764 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 7:53 PM
Jain, from what I'm understanding, Kligma seem to have issues with making new subfolders inside the Downloads folder, not getting items within subfolders to show ingame.

Kligma, have you tried any of the tips yet?
(If you're stuck and want to get it fixed, it could be an idea to post a help topic, since this topic often gets a bit cluttered with several other questions at a time).
Forum Resident
#28765 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 9:14 PM
It is set to "read-only", which I tried to uncheck and put in action, but creating subfolders still doesn't work and when I look into the properties it's back to read-only. A hyperactive antivirus program is also very possible.
I'll look into the rest of the suggestions, it's a different computer than the one I'm using for internet and such so I hadn't seen the newer posts when I checked. Hopefully it'll sort itself out. Thanks again, mates.

I am Error.
Mad Poster
#28766 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 9:38 PM
To any creators; what is the thing you enjoy the most about creating content for TS2?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#28767 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
Microsoft wanted everybody to upgrade to windows 10 in which was once given out for free, makes me wonder why, since people had to buy Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, when they came out. But not 10.
Maybe because of bad experiences they've had with Windows 8, Windows Vista, and if they're old enough, MS-DOS 4, all of which were released before they were ready!

Now they're giving Windows 11 away free. So that those who accept the gift will find all the bugs and report them back to Microsoft.

Actually though I think you're right. I've been using Windows 10 for over a year now, and it does seem to be a stable reliable operating system. With a few exceptions -- like the backup. Mine refused to back up my Documents folder because I have an Outlook file there. Now Outlook is a Microsoft product -- it's the email client for Microsoft Office. So it seems a bit odd that Microsoft Windows backup can't back it up. So what did Microsoft Windows 10 backup do? Did it skip the Outlook file and back up the rest ? Nuh! To punish me for not removing the Outlook file, it refused to back up my Documents at all! So I'm still using Windows 7 backup on my Windows 10 computer. It doesn't run quite as well as it did on my Windows 7 machine -- the progress sticks for about 3 hours at 97%! But eventually it does finish making the system image, and I've got my backup. Of course it would be safer on OneDrive, as that would count as off-site backup, but I have to make allowances. This is Microsoft after all.

Since Windows 10 is apparently a good reliable modern operating system, what is the point of Windows 11? I fear its only purpose is to make money for Microsoft shareholders! I wish these companies could think of a different business model that didn't involve reinventing the wheel every 3-4 years.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28768 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 10:28 PM
I backup files by doing 'copy' - 'paste' only my F drive. I have C, D and F. I never allow anything to auto-update or auto sync or auto blooming anything.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#28769 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 10:29 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Nov 2021 at 10:42 PM.
I've been using Windows 10 for over a year now, and it does seem to be a stable reliable operating system. With a few exceptions -

Just a few?
You're probably one of the lucky ones.

For whatever reason this thing has decided to eat away at my harddrive, because at times it's running at 100% for no apparent reason in the task manager, and I'm beginning to think Windows is actively trying to destroy that poor thing (last might I got a warning saying something was off with one of the drives, but managed to fix that, at least temporarily - but did a backup just in case). Stuck updates have been an issue for a while, and various Windows tasks keep slowing the computer to a snail pace. Never had so many exceptions to a "stable, reliable OS" in my history of using an OS (maybe even including my very brief struggles using a Mac for school purposes, and that's saying something - hated that). The past year that thing has caused so much frustration I've considered going back to Win7 just to get some peace of mind... I think I'd even prefer Vista (and then you know I'm desperate - or maybe I just miss my old stationary).
Mad Poster
#28770 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 10:49 PM
Maybe my good impression of Windows 10 is because the change of computers from a netbook to a modern gaming laptop also meant getting a proper NVIDIA graphics card instead of an integrated Intel chip. So, after eight years of low resolution graphics, I'm seeing my game in high resolution, and I just can't get over how beautiful my Sims and their houses look. Also, with its SDD, the new computer is faster than I would have believed possible. My game used to take about 15 minutes to load. Now it's almost instant! No wonder I'm pleased.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#28771 Old 21st Nov 2021 at 10:54 PM
Maybe because of bad experiences they've had with Windows 8, Windows Vista, and if they're old enough, MS-DOS 4, all of which were released before they were ready!

Now they're giving Windows 11 away free. So that those who accept the gift will find all the bugs and report them back to Microsoft.
[...]
Since Windows 10 is apparently a good reliable modern operating system, what is the point of Windows 11? I fear its only purpose is to make money for Microsoft shareholders! I wish these companies could think of a different business model that didn't involve reinventing the wheel every 3-4 years.

You may remember the saying: “if something is free, you’re the product”.

I'm still using W8.1 and I didn't even know W11 was out.
Mad Poster
#28773 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 1:12 AM
^ Nah. It's mainly some buggy windows processes, and the company's inability to actually fix long-lasting bugs with updates (but they're very good at creating new ones). Whenever I shut the buggy processes down and/or restart them (if necessary), or do a restart if it gets too bad, things tend to calm down. I have managed to find most of the problem areas, and it all seems to stem from the system. Besides, I don't use Windows Defender as the first line of defense anyway...

I had an issue with an update that refused to install early in January or some such, and it just got worse from there. That update still shows every time I try to run updates. I've had to halt updates for as long as it lets me, otherwise it keeps trying to run that update every single day, often several times a day, which slows down or freezes the computer if I click anything at the wrong moment. I've tried pretty much all the tips I've found on stuck updates, except from reinstalling Windows. I've found a couple workarounds now, which lets me install updates and get around that thing (I hope it one day gets through so things can go back to normal, but I've kinda given up. It didn't want to install the latest version of that update, either - and I haven't seen that one again...).

Haven't been prompted on the Windows 11 update, though (at least not that I can remember). If it's anything like 10, not sure if I even want to try...
Forum Resident
#28774 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jain
I don't understand. I have a complete game set. I subfolder all those items the wiki says I cannot subfolder except sims themselves (not sure what they mean by this - the sims file from the simspack I assume, and I've subfoldered that file too once in a while) and collection files. Skin, makeup, eyes, etc., have been subfoldered in my game for many years. They all work. I don't get why they wouldn't.

If you have a complete game set, then the subfolder restrictions mentioned in the SimWiki would not apply to you. I have all EPs & SPs and more than 20GB of CC and only 2 files that are NOT in a subfolder - the CEP and the CAS! packages. And they may be able to be in a subfolder, it's simply that I like them where they are.

I offered that as a possible resolution for Kligma, because at that point they hadn't stated what, if any, EPs they might have had.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#28775 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 2:28 AM
I have a quick stupid question. If a maid's client gets her pregnant, is she pregnant even at other client's houses?
Page 1151 of 1347