Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

College Tuition and Student Loans

by kestrellyn Posted 24th Jun 2018 at 11:48 PM - Updated 6th Jan 2024 at 6:05 AM by kestrellyn

188 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 162 Feedback Posts, 25 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 7 of 8
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#151 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 12:58 PM
Thank you, just tried it and it seems to work perfectly now!
Field Researcher
#152 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 10:04 AM
I just started using this mod but I'm a bit lost. Does this mean there's no way to have a lower tuition cost than 10K? I use mods to both raise bills and lower wages, so 10k is really high, especially with Cyjon's shorter uni. Playing wants-based on top of that means few of my sims get high grants at the end of the semester. Is there any way to set it up for 5k?

~~like a dirty dog
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#153 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 6:06 PM
Yes, 10k is the minimum, because 5k is really pretty nothing, it is the same amount regardless of whether or not you are using semester changes. This hack is meant to solve the problem of accumulating lots of money, it sounds like maybe you have already solved the problem in other ways, so if you want to incorporate this you may have to rebalance the way money accumulates in your game, just like you would have to rebalance if you added a new way to gain money. But I could look into setting it up have multiples of 5k also.
Field Researcher
#154 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 7:22 PM Last edited by delonariel : 9th Dec 2021 at 7:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Yes, 10k is the minimum, because 5k is really pretty nothing, it is the same amount regardless of whether or not you are using semester changes. This hack is meant to solve the problem of accumulating lots of money, it sounds like maybe you have already solved the problem in other ways, so if you want to incorporate this you may have to rebalance the way money accumulates in your game, just like you would have to rebalance if you added a new way to gain money. But I could look into setting it up have multiples of 5k also.

I like to have my students partially contribute to their uni funds with random jobs like tutoring or busking, or Lamare's part-time jobs in uni, but with only four semesters with Cyjon's mod, and each only a couple of days long, it sets too high a bar for the students. There's no way for them to even make a dent in their debts by working through college. So while 5k is a pretty small sum, I think it's better balanced for Cyjon's faster uni and the money-making options available to students. If I was playing the original university length, 10k wouldn't be as much of an issue. I'm pretty mean to my sims already, but as it is the only kids wealthy enough to go to college in Pleasantview would be the Goths.

If it isn't too much trouble for you, I would massively appreciate a 5k option. It's a terrific mod and would make things much easier to keep track of, especially in hoods where there isn't any specific townie to send the money to. It's true that I've already re-balanced the economy in the game, but 5k tuition would really hit the sweet spot. I understand if it's too much trouble though

~~like a dirty dog
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#155 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 8:09 PM
Yeah, that makes sense, it was mentioned earlier in the thread with regards to the grant payouts. It shouldn't be hard, I'll see if I can get it done this evening.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#156 Old 10th Dec 2021 at 5:49 AM
That's so kind of you, thank you. I haven't been looking forward to playing uni this much since the EP was released
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#157 Old 11th Dec 2021 at 1:11 AM
Ok, I've uploaded new versions of all packages.
Top Secret Researcher
#158 Old 6th Mar 2022 at 9:10 AM
This also conflicts with LazyDuchess' Story Progression mod even when you leave out the Uni module.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#159 Old 6th Mar 2022 at 9:12 PM
It didn't have any conflicts with that the last time I checked, it just wouldn't work right for sims in other households. Can you post the HCDU report?
just a girl
THANKS POST
#160 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 10:57 PM
What do I do if I have both Term Paper Required and Semester Changes?

Also, thank you for this mod. I've been using collegetuition+termrequired and really enjoyed it. Recently I decided to toy with Semester Changes and haven't noticed any issues, but I figure I'd ask you.

I see that you've added 5k option, I wanted that, but then I kind of learned to live with 10k At first, 10k for everybody seemed pretty steep, so I decided whether sims should get free or pay education based on school grades. Some can't afford college and are not smart enough to get it for free, so be it. It worked well for the story and the whole balance of things.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#161 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 12:45 AM
Term paper required and semester changes are not compatible, so you shouldn't use them together. I guess if there is enough interest, I could make another version of this mod that makes them compatible, but that starts to open things up to a proliferation of different versions, since there is now Lazy Duchess's exam fail chance mod as well that also modifies the same BHAV.
just a girl
THANKS POST
#162 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 3:07 PM
Oops) Thank you for the heads up. Now that I think about it, these two mods don't really go together. Shorter semesters and term paper requirement will probably make things too hard.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#163 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 1:46 AM
Well, I do have 48-hour semesters in my game and also use term paper required, it isn't that hard and most of my sims don't actually write term papers anyway, they just limp along with Bs and Cs because not everyone cares about getting an A. I have had a few times where a sim did want an A and had to gain several skill points as well as write the term paper and get the grade bar to max, and in that case it was a little tight. My playables usually show up to college with plenty of skills and don't have this problem, though.
Test Subject
#164 Old 22nd Oct 2022 at 7:19 PM
Default Seconding that this doesn't quite work with Mac Super Collection
Quote: Originally posted by legallyblonde
Hi! This mod looks like such a great addition to the game! However, I am unable to get it to work. I am running the Sims 2 Super Collection on Mac, so I assume that is the problem. It will let me initiate, add to college fund, designate payee/sponsor, but will not charge tuition at the end of the semester. I tried removing everything from my downloads folder except your Semester Changes version and Semester Changes itself, but it still did not work. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

Seconding that this may not be Mac Super Collection compatible.
I put this in the same file as semester changes and appended zz to it so it would load last. I tried initializing at college, before leaving for college, no dice. It won't charge tuition. The function to put money directly to the college fund won't work, everything continues to go to family funds. There were no jumps or errors thrown that I could see, but never ran in debug mode.

I can try reinstalling it and see if any errors are generated?

I am currently creating my own system using Monique's Payer mod - Malcolm Landgraab has opened a Savings and Loan - but I'd love for this to work in my game.

PS: sorry if i'm spamming your threads today, but I'm trying to do better at giving feedback to active creators.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#165 Old 23rd Oct 2022 at 2:54 AM
Test Subject
#166 Old 26th Apr 2023 at 6:30 PM
Thank you! this is awesome!
Mad Poster
#167 Old 25th Aug 2023 at 10:26 AM
Quick note: Cyjon's Bigger Bills also has a tuition of $125 per day. I think the BCON 'Tuition per level per day' from CJ-BiggerBills.package will get rid of this though, for those who want to use the two mods together.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#168 Old 26th Aug 2023 at 3:32 AM
Hey guys, I think I figured out why this wasn't working for people with Super Collection and fixed it, please redownload it if you haven't been able to get it to work!
Mad Poster
#169 Old 9th Sep 2023 at 6:46 AM
Question: How usable would this be used for non- student loans between Sims? I was thinking of one Sim loaning another $10,000 to start a business, for instance. I got the idea when initializing loans for premades and noticing that borrowing from another Sim transfers to the family funds.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#170 Old 9th Sep 2023 at 7:57 AM
Yeah, someone requested the feature of sim-to-sim loans a long while back, so that got added in, too, it works fine for that. The only limitation is that one sim can't have multiple loans from different people. If you have an existing loan, you can borrow more money from that person at any time, but the new loan amount will just be added onto whatever you already owe.
Mad Poster
#171 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 5:54 AM
Question: What happens if I initialize a loan with a student already several semesters into Uni? There's a few premade sophomores.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#172 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 6:40 AM
Initializing as a college student is the same as initializing a younger sim - they don't start out with debt, it just sets their tuition amount. If you want them to have debt, you can have them borrow money and then magic it away with familyfunds.
Mad Poster
#173 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 7:51 AM
More specifically: Do they still get charged the full amount, or only the semesters they actually play?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#174 Old 20th Sep 2023 at 10:33 PM
They get charged at the end of the semester, so however many semesters they finish (or drop out of) while they have the token they will be charged for.
Test Subject
#175 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 2:45 AM
Thank you so much for fixing the issue for Super Collection users. So far i've able to initialize and start putting money into savings just fine. One quick question, I don't use cyjon's semester changes, but switched to Simsky/Dave Luv's 36 Hour Semester mod. I thought i'd double check that it would work before I played my college sims. He doesn't list what BCON he changes, and I don't have the tools to investigate. I'm happy to just try it and see, but if you have any insight I'd appreciate it.
Page 7 of 8