Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 3:15 PM Last edited by melodycc_2004 : 29th Jul 2021 at 6:24 PM. Reason: new information

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Game Crashes Purple Soup Is Back | Even with 4gb/memory allocation/graphics rule (UPDATE)
I'll start by saying that I've done a lot of research before posting here. I've been to LeeFish but I do not have an account there so I figured I could post here instead. My Sims 2 game is DISC based and It will occasionally start to flash pink the go away or the whole hood will flash pink. T-pose Sims will start to walk about. It crashes more than I'd like ESPECIALLY in the downloaded hood of Riverside which I downloaded from her on mts so I know it's fine. I Have fixed my Graphics Rules so that my game acknowledges my Graphics Card. It is operational. I downloaded the 4gb fix and it doesn't do anything for me even when moving the files from tsbin to csbin or desktop. So I'm at a loss for what to do next. I Do Not have UC from Origin. The gave it to me and then took it back and wont give me another. I've tried. So I am stuck. I'd like to fix this issue as my Bodyshop is also crashing as soon as it starts up. My computer is running Windows 10 (yuck) and It is well capable of running sims 2. I also have cleaned my CC to make sure it isn't bad CC causing the issue. Any advice would be life saving. Thank you so much for your time.

Edit: I don't know why I completely forgot these files existed but here is my config file and here is the error I consistently get.
****UPDATE BELOW****

Update: So I removed ALL my downloads, the whole folder, and re-entered the lot in riverside. The game didn't crash at 12:07 BUT it teleported the daughter and husband home from work and school as soon as the lot loaded and it all of a sudden infected the lot with the dreaded Hug Bug I've heard so much about. The mom's wants also disappeared. I am doing further tests to see what CC is causing the crashing bits. The HUG BUG however was not a factor originally. I know there is a fix online, but wouldn't it have been there this whole time? I also downloaded the riverside shopping district and same issue with the crashing time, but this ONLY happens in riverside. My other hoods don't crash at set times, but they have crashed before at random.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2020.09.17 12.34.34.txt (14.2 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2021.03.11 15.07.38.txt (14.3 KB, 2 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 7:58 PM
Can you post your computer specs?

Also, does your config-log list both Memory and Free Memory as 4096MB, and what does it say under Texture memory? And does it list the proper graphic card?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 3:22 AM Last edited by melodycc_2004 : 17th Mar 2021 at 12:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Can you post your computer specs?

Also, does your config-log list both Memory and Free Memory as 4096MB, and what does it say under Texture memory? And does it list the proper graphic card?

I will grab the config log. I ended up downloading a no-cd exe and the 4gb shows in the log correctly now, but the game is still crashing.

My Computer Specs are
16gb RAM
intel i7-6700k 4.00ghz 4.01ghz
64bit
Gpu nvidia GeForce 1060
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 10:29 PM
I have activated the Memory Allocation mentioned in the post above and I've also gotten the 4gb patch installed and it now works correctly. However I am still getting crashes in the Riverside neighborhood and while in CAS my sims started turning pink and flashing. I have deleted all thumbnails and have considered re-downloading the riverside neighborhood, but I am not sure if it is the hood or my game still.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 11:39 PM
As far as your BodyShop crashing, you can also apply the 4GB fix to that exe found in the CSBin of your latest EP. I don't know if that will fix it or not, but it won't hurt to try. I've been running 4GB fix on both the Sims2 and TSBodyshop.exe without problems for years.

Since you get pink flashing in both Riverside and CAS, it makes me think it isn't just a problem with Riverside.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 2:06 PM
My Texture Memory only says 1744 is that right?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by melodycc_2004
My Texture Memory only says 1744 is that right?

Yes, but your card supports more, up to 3GB. Have you used Graphics Rules Maker? It has some extra settings that might help. Be sure to back up your current Graphics Rules file just in case.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 6:09 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Mar 2021 at 6:27 PM.
And if you used the GRM, did you make sure to download the new version (2.0)? The old one has a bug that causes severe pink-flashing, especially with newer Nvidia cards (I had that problem for a while...). It deletes a line which in turn causes "pink-hell" neighborhood-wide. Not the pink-flashing that appears on one item and spreads slowly after several hours of playing, but the kind that usually turns up less than five minutes after you've started playing, and spreads to the whole neighborhood faster than a wildfire in dry grass with a bit of wind added.

The new version keeps this line in.

(Ever since fixing the issue I don't think I've seen any pink in my game, although I have had some crashing and other issues, but that's most likely from other causes - probably all the things I did to try to fix the pink-flashing without knowing the actual cause. So much ado for something that had such an easy fix to it ).

Make sure you've fixed this for the Bodyshop file, too. I got pink sims in Bodyshop as well, which was very bizarre. That's a first for me.

---

How to figure out what to set for "Texture memory" and how:
https://celebkiriedhel.tumblr.com/p...aphics-help-diy

You don't have to write out a full dxdiag text file - if you have Win10 you can see the “Display Memory” under the Screen tab for the card your game is running on, and that's the number you want.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 6:32 PM
I did use GRM. But I had no idea there was a 2.0 version! I only knew of the one on LeeFish. I'll try to fix the texture memory using the link you provided. Thanks for that. I'll keep everyone updated.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 6:44 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Mar 2021 at 6:56 PM.
Here's the GRM program: https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker. If there's a GRM version over at Leefish, it's most likely the old one. This one was updated last year.

I don't know if the downloadable/fixed GraphicRules files at Leefish have the issues with the missing line, but it's possible if they were fixed with the GRM.

I think there's a couple guides to how to use the program best, but I'll have to go looking. There are help texts in the program and there are a couple quick guides on the page too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 9:12 PM
I've seen a post talking abt using something called DXVK as well. I'm not even sure what it is and after reading was unsure of it. Was a bit scared of it tbh. I'm going to try the GRM now. B4 I just used a premade graphicsrules file I downloaded from Leefish and added my card to that with notepad. So using the actual GRM program might work for me.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 10:43 PM
DXVK is kind of a "last resort", when GRM can't help on its own. When you use GRM, make sure to give your game a reasonable amount of texture memory, that your card can support. Also, make sure that "Disable Texture Memory Estimate Adjustment" and "Enable Driver's Memory Manager" options are enabled.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 14th Mar 2021 at 11:09 AM
If you're using NVidia, the GRM program includes a fix that made my game stop crashing completely, so it's definitely worth a try. I also use the Empty Standby List mentioned in Jessa's video here https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
Mad Poster
#14 Old 14th Mar 2021 at 7:56 PM
DXVK caused my game to crash more, not less. Could be individual, though. It may not be the best solution if you have a lot of CC.

Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
If you're using NVidia, the GRM program includes a fix that made my game stop crashing completely, so it's definitely worth a try.

You know which one in particular?
Forum Resident
#15 Old 14th Mar 2021 at 8:31 PM
It's this option: Disable texture memory estimate adjustment
Use this tweak to use the texture memory reported by the driver. This may greatly improve the game's stability, especially when using a recent nVidia graphics card.

Works like a charm for me, the only issue I still get is CAS being too bright.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 14th Mar 2021 at 10:03 PM
^ That's true.

The CAS issue is another one - if the entire CAS is too bright (or you get other strange graphic errors after you've done all the other needed fixes) you need to update your Nvidia drivers via the Nvidia site. Could be an idea to do that anyway, as the drivers that ship with the card are probably not the newest ones.

If it's just a few items here and there, it's a problem with individual meshes (I posted how to fix it here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=653448 ) - it has been a problem earlier too, but shows up very brightly with newer Nvidia cards.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 15th Mar 2021 at 6:50 PM
My drivers auto-update, that doesn't fix it for me. I barely use CAS, so it's an issue I'll just take as long as the rest of the game runs fine. Wouldn't mind fixing it, but I won't risk messing the rest up.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 15th Mar 2021 at 8:31 PM
Via the Nvidia driver Experience whatsitsname (sorry, I'm bad with names and haven't had the popup today)?

I think you can do it via that one. Don't do it via any sort of Windows update or the Windows driver update page, though. Those are buggy.

I updated via Nvidia's site while I was working on a full bug fixing round, just to be sure I got the correct one. I think the Nvidia Experience driver update would work, too.

I had the DXVK for a little while, but it crashed all the time, didn't fix the pink issue (the missing line bug - fixed that eventually ) and I'm not sure I even tried CAS or if it crashed before I got the chance. I removed the DXVK, tried CAS, and then I had black stripes all across my CAS screen, which has never happened before. Updated the drivers, but then I saw the "occasional self-illuminated CAS item" bug. Ah well, at least that one is technically fixable, if very annoying... I just wish there was an easier and quicker fix that didn't involve the DXVK (if that one even works - I don't know?)
Forum Resident
#19 Old 16th Mar 2021 at 6:45 PM
NVidia GeForce Experience, at least that's what mine is called.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 16th Mar 2021 at 7:16 PM
^ That one, yes. (I'm bad with manes names ).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th Mar 2021 at 12:15 AM Last edited by melodycc_2004 : 18th Mar 2021 at 6:47 PM.
I've let it auto detect of graphic rules. this is what it looks like. Does it look correct? Just wanna be sure the right boxes are checked. This new Graphics Rules is the exact opposite in some areas than my current versions. Like in these 2 areas that's why I want to know what to check or uncheck. Not exact opposites I should say but one enables and the other disabled driver memory manger.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 10:35 PM Last edited by melodycc_2004 : 9th Apr 2021 at 11:07 PM.
Oof Ok, so update: The graphics rules didn't help. It DOES feel like the game is running smoother, but the Riverside Neighborhood still crashes! I even downloaded the Shopping district version and it too crashes at the exact same time the other one does. Abt 12:07 sim-time. I don't have custom sims in the neighborhood nor do I have special outfits like default replacements for careers. It's so curious as it's the same time of day in game when it crashes. I even went and played other hoods and was able to play for quite a long time. I can try to post a clip or screenshots of it happening, but I'm not sure that will help. EDIT: Also Idk if this helps but I have the disc versions installed. I use a nocd crack to play. I used to have the UC on my origin but EA TOOK IT AWAY and gave me The Sims 2 Store Edition? I was much confusion but they refused to help me so. I use this now lol.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 10th Apr 2021 at 4:11 PM
Have you done a test without mods? The crashing at an exact time of day makes me think a mod is trying to do something but fails and crashes the game instead.

(The only ones you should keep in during a test are mods you're spesifically told to not remove after placing in your game, such as NPC mods and similar - you'll want to keep a "don't remove" folder if you have these kinds of mods to be on the safe side. Also, could be an idea to do a backup of your game before testing).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 11th Apr 2021 at 3:02 AM
I'll try that. I don't have too many mods. But it is completely possible that it's a download or one of the mods. I'm just curious as to why it's only that neighborhood. I can play other hoods just fine although I do get crashes on community lots. Lemme take out my mods and check.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 4:14 PM
OK so Update to the previously mentioned update above. I have tried and failed at trying to find the bad cc. It was going well fot the first few 1,000 downloads, but I'm so confused at how I can locate 1 file in aa sea of over 18,000. I started with 0 no issues with crashing. Then I placed ALL foldered files back in. no issues. I started placing all files with actual names in and no issues. It was after I got to the funky names/ letter/numbers that it started crashing. So I stopped putting more in and tried taking a few out at a time and testing to see if any were causing the crashing no dice. I ended up removing all the oddly named ones and my game still crashed, even though b4 adding those odd ones in it didn't. I was Also clearing the caches each time to be sure. So Now I'm totally lost. Am I doing the 50/50 thing wrong? Even more weird, My game has not ever ran smoother than it does right now? And it has all the downloads it always has had? I am much confusion. Also the odd crash at 12:33 now is back.
Page 1 of 3