Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 12:18 AM
Default PM Problems
Hi,

I've been having PM issues for most of the day. I can send them, but when I try to respond to the person that PM'd me back, the 'responder' ends up getting a page with no text.  To counter this problem instead of using the reply button, I sent the person a new PM.

I'm not sure if this problem is just from my end or if anybody else is having this same issue.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 9:04 AM
This is what I get when I receive a 'reply' message from GC:
https://i.imgur.com/l9xZkIC.jpg
I've had a couple of instances where I've not been able to use 'reply' to forum posts, because when I hit the preview the post is blank. So I've had to just make a new post instead of the reply button.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#3 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
This is what I get when I receive a 'reply' message from GC:
https://i.imgur.com/l9xZkIC.jpg
I've had a couple of instances where I've not been able to use 'reply' to forum posts, because when I hit the preview the post is blank. So I've had to just make a new post instead of the reply button.
Testing 1 2 3

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
Testing 1 2 3
Testing back at you...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 12:30 PM
Well that worked!

Edit: Sort of...
https://i.imgur.com/ZatpgNY.jpg
Had to click 'okay' and upon hitting the reply button again it posted successfully. I'm using Firefox quantum with noscript, but it's disabled for MTS...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 3:31 PM
@simsample What specific steps are you doing to get that popup?

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 5:47 PM
This is what I'm doing:
1) Click in the box so that I can start typing

2) Type some text:

3) At the bottom of the screen, click 'post quick reply'.

4) Get this error message:

5) Click 'OK' and click 'post quick reply' again, and it posts with no error.

Also- I think I found out why people might lose text when replying to personal messages. I got a message and tried to reply, I clicked in the area under the quote box and typed my message, and all looked well until I hit 'preview' and all of the text vanished! So I tried again, and found that if I click in the area directly beneath the quote box, the editor behaves as though I am still in the quote- and you can see that all of the text functions (bold, italic, underline etc) are greyed out.

So if I hadn't previewed, and had just clicked 'send', maybe the recipient would have received a blank message. I have to click farther down the box to have the text functions enable, and to have the message preview and send normally:

Will test in another browser, but it seems as if this is happening to at least one other person (Gargoyle Cat).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Aug 2020 at 5:56 PM
test post in Microsoft Edge

EDIT: Yes 'Quick Reply' works fine in Microsoft Edge, so must either be an issue with Firefox or maybe something particular to the way GC and I have our Firefox set up!

EDIT AGAIN: I can confirm that the dodgy quote thing happens in Edge as well as Firefox though.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#9 Old 21st Aug 2020 at 9:45 AM
So the issue you both have is because you are part of the MTS Beta tester group. As it says, there's an experimental WYSIWYG text editor turned on for staff and beta testers, which seems to cause some issues.  Funnily enough I don't get the "You haven't entered enough characters" when I type something in and then hit Post Quick Reply.... so let me check some stuff.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 21st Aug 2020 at 10:29 AM
Test of more than 7 characters from Firefox
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#11 Old 21st Aug 2020 at 10:37 AM
Okay so turns out the reply issue with the "You need to enter more stuff" was actually an issue with Chrome, whereby it wasn't running the right stuff, hence why I never noticed it. :P

I've now fixed it so you should now not get the popup message when it's more than 7 characters.Test

With regards to quotes, I've removed the extra line break underneath the quotes, so it should now work correctly when you click below it, and go onto the right line.

Thanks for the pictures @simsample ! They really helped

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Aug 2020 at 11:58 AM
Yay! Well done @Tashiketh , fixing things as fast as I can break them!