Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 11:04 PM
Default Please can someone explain online/offline installation?
I just bought the base game on disc, for offline installation, so no Origin. I wanna buy the expansions on disc too but I don't want to have to use Origin, is there a way I can find out if a disc requires Origin or is offline? Or because the base game was installed offline, does that mean any other expansions/stuff packs I get will automatically be offline too?

Would greatly appreciate any information and explanation because when I found out about some people needing Origin and an internet connection, I was very confused. Why can't things just be simple like in the good old Sims 2 days? Just pop the disc in and boom, done.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 11:18 PM
Make sure you stay on max patchlevel 1,67. Patchlevel 1,69 requires Origin I think.

... oh how old is your disc? Is it from before 2012?

I have an old disc from before 2012 and patchlevel 1,67. I don't need to have Origin to play.

Superpatcher Crincrit
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2020 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Make sure you stay on max patchlevel 1,67. Patchlevel 1,69 requires Origin I think.

... oh how old is your disc? Is it from before 2012?

I have an old disc from before 2012 and patchlevel 1,67. I don't need to have Origin to play.

If I click on the launcher it says version 1.0.631.00002.
Also I'm pretty sure the disc I have is from 2009, I know expansions would have come out after that though... so you can see why I'm a little bit confused about how it all works. Do you also have disc expansions?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Keely Noodle
Or because the base game was installed offline, does that mean any other expansions/stuff packs I get will automatically be offline too?

Pretty much this. EPs and SPs installed from disc don't need Origin as long as the base game disc installed don't either. And any base game disc (including compilations with base game) released until, I believe, mid 2012, should not require Origin, while most (though I found out there are some exceptions to this) released after, I believe, the release of Supernatural, do require Origin, since AFAIK Sims 3 plus Showtime compilation still do not require Origin, but Sims 3 plus Supernatural already do require Origin. But you can ignore this part, since your game disc obviously do not require Origin.
I have the Collector's Edition of base game from 2009 (though I've bought it in June 2010, but that doesn't really matter here) and all EPs and SPs and my game still does not require Origin. However, to achieve this, I needed to repurchase the two EPs I've previously bought on Origin in disc format. So, the main point here is don't buy your EPs and SPs on Origin, because then you will be forced to update to 1.69 and therefore to Origin requirements. So, only buy EPs and SPs on discs and never update past 1.67. That way, you should be safe from Origin requirement.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peno
Pretty much this. EPs and SPs installed from disc don't need Origin as long as the base game disc installed don't either. And any base game disc (including compilations with base game) released until, I believe, mid 2012, should not require Origin, while most (though I found out there are some exceptions to this) released after, I believe, the release of Supernatural, do require Origin, since AFAIK Sims 3 plus Showtime compilation still do not require Origin, but Sims 3 plus Supernatural already do require Origin. But you can ignore this part, since your game disc obviously do not require Origin.
I have the Collector's Edition of base game from 2009 (though I've bought it in June 2010, but that doesn't really matter here) and all EPs and SPs and my game still does not require Origin. However, to achieve this, I needed to repurchase the two EPs I've previously bought on Origin in disc format. So, the main point here is don't buy your EPs and SPs on Origin, because then you will be forced to update to 1.69 and therefore to Origin requirements. So, only buy EPs and SPs on discs and never update past 1.67. That way, you should be safe from Origin requirement.

OK, that's excellent news. I keep on hearing about the 1.67 and 1.69 update, though my base game is 1.0.631.00002? I'm not sure how to update it to 1.67 or if I even should. I also did not install the EA download manager simply because I don't know what it is or what it does, was worried it might connect my discs to the internet which I don't want to be honest.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Sep 2020 at 10:57 AM
Patch Level: It really would be best in most cases if you could somehow bring the SuperPatcher to this computer so you can get the patch level raised to 1.67. Installing disc version EPs will also raise the patch level, but not all the way. If you just deny any offers for the Origin version, that should keep it all as you want it.
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-...3-super-patcher

If you have any plans to add actual mods (not just CC) to this game, its patch level will have to be higher than 1.0.6 and many mods that were or still are in development have long since moved past the earlier patches.

EA Download Manager (EADM):
This was Origin's predecessor and you were correct to not allow it because it will keep trying to update itself to Origin otherwise.