Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 4:24 PM
Default Stupid Question, but Who is 'Dany Cat'?
Possibly a stupidly question, but when I try to sort something out in SimPE, such as change names and the like, I always see the name 'Dany Cat (NPC).' I don't alter this 'Sim' and I backup before messing about in SimPE.

I don't know what it was and so I'm curious, as I found nothing pertaining to this online.

The only theory I thought of was it being the Good Witch's Cat, however, I already see a Spectral Assistant NPC. Unless, Dany Cat is the cat's appearance and the Spectral Assistant is what controls its behaviour, I have no idea.

This is nothing serious, it's just me trying to satisfy my curiosity. At first I thought it was Danny Crittur, but 1) He's a dog and 2) He would be called 'Danny Crittur' in SimPE.

I feel stupid, but I'm curious.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 12th Sep 2020 at 9:16 PM
It's probably the Spectral Cat, I have one called Resi Cat (NPC). The Spectral Assistant is a human NPC that you can summon, not the cat.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 2:24 AM
The spectral assistant is the spectral assistant you can summon, not a cat. The NPC witch cats usually show up in my neighborhood as "Good Witch Cat (NPC)" etc., I don't know why it would be given a proper name in yours.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 3:32 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I wasn't saying that I thought the cat was the Spectral Assistant, I'm aware that it's a human NPC. I've seen pictures of it showing up on some people's lots and that is something I don't want to see

I meant in the same vein as the Penguin, where we see a Penguin but it's really just something being lead by an invisible sim (Penguin NPC). Or the remote control car, or the robots (excluding Servos), a cat being lead by an invisible sim.

I don't think what I said made any sense...

Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 3:47 AM
I mean, the cat isn't an invisible sim, no, it's a sim that looks like a cat. Just like every other cat in your neighborhood is a sim that looks like a cat. You could in theory talk about "invisible sims" when it comes to things like the bird or the remote control car that don't look anything like the regular appearance of any kind of sim, but cats are a pretty standard type of sim.
Scholar
#6 Old 13th Sep 2020 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
The spectral assistant is the spectral assistant you can summon, not a cat. The NPC witch cats usually show up in my neighborhood as "Good Witch Cat (NPC)" etc., I don't know why it would be given a proper name in yours.

Depends on the game (or SimPe's default) language. In US English only it's Good Witch Cat, in UK English it's Dany Cat while Resi Cat is in the German language.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Sep 2020 at 2:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Depends on the game (or SimPe's default) language. In US English only it's Good Witch Cat, in UK English it's Dany Cat while Resi Cat is in the German language.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. That's interesting how it has different names.

Scholar
#8 Old 1st Oct 2020 at 10:42 AM
One of the localisation co-ordinators for Apartment Life was Daniele Sacco. I wonder if Dany Cat is a pun based on his name, in which case it would explain why it's only in specific language versions of the expansion. (I suspect Resi Cat might also be a pun on something, though it's hard to tell as several companies were also involved in the localisation of certain languages).

Is it possible this is an actual cat, generated from the template cat, that belongs to one or more of the NPC witches?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2020 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ieta_cassiopeia
Is it possible this is an actual cat, generated from the template cat, that belongs to one or more of the NPC witches?

I personally doubt it, as Dany Cat is the only Good Witch Cat I've seen in SimPE. Looking for Good Witch Cat in my SimPE (English UK), has yielded no results. So it's most likely what Chris Hatch had said about different names for different localisations.