Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#326 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 3:18 AM
People tend to forget that a lot of the Sims playerbase are extremely casual players who don't lurk online spaces and are low info. They would be like, 5 bucks for the ability to vacuum? Sure thing (and then they realize how much that kit actually puts the word "bust" into that name but that's another story).
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#327 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 11:10 PM
I checked a couple of days ago and the only Sims 4 DLC at Amazon that was still in stock was "Bust the Dust" - they had sold out of Toddler Stuff! (ETA: they have restocked due to a sale.)
Mad Poster
#328 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
There are people who buy kits?

I honestly think Kits are EA's first stab attempt at appropriating the CC scene, and also killing two birds with one stone since these kits likely don't require much in terms of workforce aside from a few members on their vfx team, as programming work seems to be focused on TS5.

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually got Kits that are collabs with CC creators.

And eventually CC creators exclusively producing Kits (either in this iteration or the next game), and mostly likely modding being heavily restricted in the next game to an official marketplace (like Second Life). And yeah, the patreon paywall model will be killed before that to ensure that CC makers aren't earning more than what the official marketplace will offer.
Smeg Head
#329 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 11:09 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 12th Aug 2022 at 12:08 AM.
I can kinda see that too. There is some logic to it, in the way things are evolving.

But one question, how popular is Second Life in comparison to the Sims franchise? In terms of making profit and amount of users. I'm sure it's big enough, but is it in the same league as the Sims franchise?
Because as sure as eggs are eggs, if EA ever take it down that avenue, then a great many will abandon the franchise. Certainly many new-comers will jump abaord too. But in the end it will more than likely level out to the equivalent user-base of Second Life. As a franchise, it will become equal to Second Life when compared. Would that then be an overall demotion? The Sims is The Sims, unique, has been for over twenty years. Does it want to become another Second Life and lose that crown? And again, profit and user-base just won't be the same. Because if Second Life itself was some kind of fantastic thing, its model, its way of doing things so great, well, we'd already long since been playing that instead and the Sims would be, well, what's The Sims? Never heard of it.

Even if EA and EA Maxis put in the elbow grease to make their Second Life the next best thing to real life, so that everyone is calling it the New Second Life, that's still just Second Life. The Sims is truly dead.

Then again this is EA we're talking about. Of course they'll do this if it's a money-spinner. Is Second Life as comparable a money-spinner to the Sims? That would be the key factor. EA sharing their profits with a load of licensed Mama-And-Papa cottage industry CC makers does not sound like the EA we've all come to know and love. I could maybe see them following the Paradox example regarding Cities Skylines. Throw a dog a bone every now and then. Every once in a while release a pack of a CC creators work and let that creator get a 0.0002 percent of the profit or some such.

Isn't that what those free mail drop things, whatever they're called, are? Maxis are already injecting the work of chosen CC creators into our games. So I can definitely see Kits going the same way - the Paradox example. (And for all those die hards over at the official forums who utterly refuse to use mods or CC in their games because they are the work of the devil. Well how do you like those rotten devil's apples Maxis now push on you? )

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Field Researcher
#330 Old 12th Aug 2022 at 10:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
. . .

I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually got Kits that are collabs with CC creators.

. . .

Since they've done that before already, my surprise is that they haven't done more and more of it. I suppose it would rank on the same level as The Sims Resource paying creators for the content they offer.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#331 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 7:03 PM
As a builder, I will say I absolutely adore the architectural additions in the Desert Luxe kit, and what appears to be an new outdoor "kitchen". I absolutely adore the windows and doors.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Lab Assistant
#332 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 7:27 PM
even the promo art looks like dookey. i hate this game and i hate EA.
Top Secret Researcher
#333 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 9:10 PM
I mean, if First Fits is toddler clothes, that would be a kinda neglected area.
Field Researcher
#334 Old 2nd Sep 2022 at 12:06 PM
This means absolutely nothing to no one, but I hate it when builders who build something I really like use stuff in a pack (regardless of which one) I don't have and don't really desire to get.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#335 Old 2nd Sep 2022 at 2:37 PM
I can usually justify architectural additions in any kind of pack because that changes how a lot is built overall, in addition to how it looks aesthetically. It doesn't always have direct gameplay with Sims, but as a builder, I'm afford new options in how I construct a lot - even if the gameplay in a pack isn't my favorite.

For example: Strangerville. I hate strangerville, but I use the Build/Buy all the time. Eco Lifestyle isn't my favorite, but the build buy additions are 10/10.

I still use Luxury Party stuff (even with what little items are there) fairly often in futurist build, nightclubs, and weddings. To be fair, the buffet, bar, and dining chair are all some of my favorites.

Field Researcher
#336 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 1:51 PM
I like that builders build new things with the new tools they get - which is what attracts me to the lots in the first place. I just hate having to make the decision if I want to buy a pack just so that I won't have anything missing if I choose to download the build.

Scholar
#337 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 4:58 PM
What is desert style furniture? It sounds as weird as 'space furniture'.
Smeg Head
#338 Old 5th Sep 2022 at 11:00 PM
The Kids having Fits Kit has gotta be the most lacklustre one to date. The game has had very little imagination when it comes to kids clothing anyway, and this kit pack highlights this in a painful way. I think it has the least amount of clothing for any Cas kit so far, and from that small selection most just look like reskins of meshes we've long-since had. They probably all do have new meshes, but it just looks so samey to all that's come before, why bother? If it had included more new kids accessories and jewellery, it might have caught my attention, but one kids wristwatch and a pair of all-too-familar glasses is all you get, and the rest clothing stuff too similar to what's already in game it has no worth - even at 4.99.

The recent kids outdoor kit stuff was a success, most folks like all the stuff with that kit pack - even if it is just reskins of stuff from other packs, like the outdoor TV object. It has a worthwhile theme. But this Kids have Fits Kit stuff, as little as there is, is all boring, unimaginative yawn. I'll keep my 4.99 and Maxis can keep the kit. Nice doing business with you.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#339 Old 6th Sep 2022 at 2:29 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 6th Sep 2022 at 4:21 AM.
CAS kits have failed to impress overall, tbh. Build/Buy is where the money is, because no matter how many chairs you have, you'll never have enough.

All I miss from CAS is better formal options - especially dresses. That, and more baby/toddler options.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#340 Old 15th Sep 2022 at 2:53 AM
The Desert Oasis kits is great but small - with padding the kit out with extra lamps and curtains.

What bothers me is that the items are supposed to modular, but they aren't - not with everything else at least.

The couch is modular and only really works with the stone cube.

The grill is modular, but doesn't connect with the bar (which isn't modular). The fireplace is good for keeping everything together, but modular spaces around a large fireplace feels a bit much.

The highlight is clearly the windows and doors - except the wooden window. What am I supposed to do with this? I would have taken an upside version of the diagonal other window, easily.

Lastly, I like that the windows match the base game items perfectly!

Lab Assistant
#341 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
The Desert Oasis kits is great but small - with padding the kit out with extra lamps and curtains.

What bothers me is that the items are supposed to modular, but they aren't - not with everything else at least.

The couch is modular and only really works with the stone cube.

The grill is modular, but doesn't connect with the bar (which isn't modular). The fireplace is good for keeping everything together, but modular spaces around a large fireplace feels a bit much.

The highlight is clearly the windows and doors - except the wooden window. What am I supposed to do with this? I would have taken an upside version of the diagonal other window, easily.

Lastly, I like that the windows match the base game items perfectly!

I know the kit is free to download but in your opinion, should download it? Does it seem to be a decent kit?
Scholar
#342 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 10:59 AM
I presumed they were offering the Courtyard Oasis Kit for free when they mentioned the desert pack, while that also ooks dull, at least you got a fountain, this free pack is nothing but re-meshes of the most common objects, chairs, curtains, endtables, etc.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#343 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 1:12 PM
If people are buying the base game to get free content, EA’s plan worked. The kit stops being free right around the time the base game is free. It doesn’t matter that people are spending $20 now and not $5 later. Free now is free now.

Lastly, they know they can sell full priced DLC when the BARREN BASE GAME is sold for less or free. The company has the potential to get $1000+ out of someone when the base game is in their library. I’m sure they have numbers for base game to Kit, Stuff, Game, and Expansion pack conversions.

Remember - EA is greedy, but not stupid.

I don’t doubt the Sims 5 will have a similar model as this model is what saved The Sims 4.

Scholar
#344 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
The added bonus is that they want a credit card number to get the free kit.

Can't believe that, no way will I give them my credit card details for free content, but anyway by the look of the micro-kit, i am not missing much.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#345 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
Can't believe that, no way will I give them my credit card details for free content

You don't have to; just select the paypal button and it will let you check out without putting in any details.
Forum Resident
#346 Old 17th Sep 2022 at 12:16 AM Last edited by foxmanic : 17th Sep 2022 at 5:12 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
The added bonus is that they want a credit card number to get the free kit.

Since I just went and got the free kit from Origin: if you go through My Game Library > Choose Sims 4 and then under it click on More > Kits and then find the Desert Luxe kit you can get it for free through that and then just scroll back down and download it, no inputting credit card info required. I was really confused too when I first went to get it through the Browse Games section and it threw me the payment screen, then tried under that and could download it hassle free there.
Lab Assistant
#347 Old 12th Oct 2022 at 12:19 AM
There are two new kits leaked.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#348 Old 12th Oct 2022 at 3:58 AM
I assume one is an office or work kit of some sort.

I can’t make heads of tails of what the strawberry is hinting at.

Field Researcher
#349 Old 16th Oct 2022 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I assume one is an office or work kit of some sort.

I can’t make heads of tails of what the strawberry is hinting at.

My guess is that it's going to be a new type of festival.

Top Secret Researcher
#350 Old 16th Oct 2022 at 9:40 PM
Oh, goodie, just what my game needs; another freaking festival.
Page 14 of 18