Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 3:49 PM Last edited by xietresims : 13th Jun 2022 at 4:52 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default .sgr file became .txt file
okay so i helped my sister with the sims 2 on her laptop but her smooth edges is turned off, so i tried a tutorial online. now her pc opens the file as a txt file and it does says it's still a .sgr file even though theres a note app icon in front of it. now the game cannot read the file and it still doesnt work. i've checked online but i cant find any solution to turn it back into the original sgr file because according to her laptop its an sgr file even though it isnt. is there any solution to fix this?

♥ sims 4 custom content creator xietresims ♥ also screenshot content xietressc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 4:17 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Jun 2022 at 4:29 PM.
As long as it still says it's a SGR file (and it does), it is fine and nothing to worry about. The game can still read the file. All of my SGR files are like that too, and they're working like they should.

It hasn't become a ".txt" file (if it had, the file type would've said "text document" like the file directly underneath, and it doesn't).

The icon only tells you which program opens the file, so when you first open it with notepad, Windows associates it with that program, and assumes you want to open it with Notepad the next time, too. It doesn't change the file in any way.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
As long as it still says it's a SGR file (and it does), it is fine and nothing to worry about. The game can still read the file. All of my SGR files are like that too, and they're working like they should.

It hasn't become a ".txt" file (if it had, the file type would've said "text document" like the file directly underneath, and it doesn't).

The icon only tells you which program opens the file, so when you first open it with notepad, Windows associates it with that program, and assumes you want to open it with Notepad the next time, too. It doesn't change the file in any way.

but then why doesn't it work? because i did everything exactly like this link said. it's still greyed out and my graphics rule maker cannot read it

Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 5:20 PM
Could be the game isn't recognizing the graphic card/chip properly. Check the "config-log" file in the Logs folder in the Documents location. Under "Graphics device info", the "Name/Vendor/Chipset/Driver" info should list the correct info for the card/chip. If it doesn't do that, some more fixes may be needed.

Newer graphics (even the best of the best) acts a bit like old/bad graphics when it's not set up properly for TS2. It's too new for the game, so it's not in the database and doesn't get automatically recognized, so the game bumps it down as if it is the lowest-tier graphics, so all you get is the default "bad" settings until it's set up properly.

You can try the https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker tool for this, but read the guide at the bottom (I think there are a couple other guides that go in more detail, I'll see if I can find them).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 5:28 PM
Could be the game isn't recognizing the graphic card/chip properly. Check the "config-log" file in the Logs folder in the Documents location. Under "Graphics device info", the "Name/Vendor/Chipset/Driver" info should list the correct info for the card/chip. If it doesn't do that, some more fixes may be needed.

i found the graphics log file but the entire file is empty. now my sister hasnt played the game yet but ive opened the game multiple times now. the computer does contain a graphics card (Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz), which i think should be fine. i've tried everything online and nothing works.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 5:30 PM
That's a chipset (onboard graphics), not a graphic card. Do you know if she's got a graphic card in addition? Some laptops do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 5:37 PM
That's a chipset (onboard graphics), not a graphic card. Do you know if she's got a graphic card in addition? Some laptops do.

i asked and she wasnt aware of what that was so i went to the system settings and i think it doesnt contain one (its an old laptop from 2013). does this mean she's doomed to have bad graphics? or is there another way to get better graphics?

Mad Poster
#8 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 6:41 PM
Not necessarily, but chipsets don't tend to be too powerful when it comes to graphics, so while you can run them with higher graphics for a while, this also tends to tire out the hardware faster, especially if the laptop is old and has been in regular use.

You can try one of the already fixed Intel files over at LeeFish: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446
(make sure to backup the original file, just in case it doesn't work)

There's also the https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker tool, and you can choose the "high performance for Intel", but read the guide at the bottom (I think there are a couple other guides that go in more detail). Again - backup the original file before you edit it.

My oldest laptop ran on only Intel graphics (a 2005/06 laptop, so probably even worse graphics than what you two have to work with). I didn't have shaders enabled (shaders off can be an issue with newer graphics/newer CC with high polycounts, but didn't use to be back then), no shadows, and usually had reflections turned off. This helped quite a bit on the performance, and honestly not too bad looking. Had to work with what I had.