Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2022 at 11:48 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Loading screen crashes after having used Object Relocator on some objects
Hi!
I recently used Object Relocator to change the category of a couple of deco objects/clutters.
Since then, my game tends to crash at the loading screen part "Overwaxing banisters" when I add in some CC that used to work just fine before. I then take those CC out and then the game loads fine. But this also happens when I add in some new CC.
I did 50/50 method to test if it was bad/conflicting CC, while keeping a CC that caused the crash still in the folder. This time, when I took a certain anim box out, the CC was fine and the game loaded. But the kind of CC that causes the problem is also strange and feels random, they can be anim boxes, build/flooring items, the reflective floor mirrors CC etc.
The only thing I can think of is that it happened after having used the Object Relocator. Is that program known to cause problems like this?
Does anyone know what else might be happening?

Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Aug 2022 at 2:31 PM
Have you tried deleting the cache files before you start up your game?

The caches store info about CC from your old play session, but when you've edited the items (either in SimPE, the Object Relocator, or the Compressorizer, or opened Bodyshop), the old info might conflict with the new info, and the game doesn't know what to do with it, and crashes. The files are usually fine. That's why this can seem a bit random.

"Accessory.cache" and "groups.cache" are usually the biggest culprits for the game and Bodyshop. "Contentregistry" (if you've made files in Bodyshop) can be an issue for Bodyshop, and doesn't have any advantages, so you can delete this one too. "Cigen.package" isn't always necessary to delete (it has Bodyshop thumbnails, keeping it can speed up thumbnail loading in Bodyshop, so if it's not causing issues with the thumbnails you don't have to delete this one).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2022 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you tried deleting the cache files before you start up your game?

The caches store info about CC from your old play session, but when you've edited the items (either in SimPE, the Object Relocator, or the Compressorizer, or opened Bodyshop), the old info might conflict with the new info, and the game doesn't know what to do with it, and crashes. The files are usually fine. That's why this can seem a bit random.

"Accessory.cache" and "groups.cache" are usually the biggest culprits for the game and Bodyshop. "Contentregistry" (if you've made files in Bodyshop) can be an issue for Bodyshop, and doesn't have any advantages, so you can delete this one too. "Cigen.package" isn't always necessary to delete (it has Bodyshop thumbnails, keeping it can speed up thumbnail loading in Bodyshop, so if it's not causing issues with the thumbnails you don't have to delete this one).

Thank you for your response!
It's not a problem with the caches. I delete them automatically with the loader, and delete the accessory.cache myself occasionally. To try and solve the problem I deleted it too... Unfortunately it didn't solve it.
This is a strange problem that I can't make any sense of. Having it for the first time in all these years I'm playing the game...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Aug 2022 at 4:49 PM
Could be you've made changes to the objects that the game doesn't like, but it's difficult to tell.

Just make sure you don't have doubles of the same object, because then you could've run into a GUID conflict when you've changed the category.

Do you happen to have an example file where the edited file causes a crash but the original file doesn't (and the original file is available for download)? Having the two files to compare could perhaps explain why it's happening.

Haven't used P&M's program (I tend to prefer SimPE - habit...), but if this is something that continues, it could be an idea to contact them about it, in case this is some kind of bug in the program.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 6:41 PM
Could be you've made changes to the objects that the game doesn't like, but it's difficult to tell.

Just make sure you don't have doubles of the same object, because then you could've run into a GUID conflict when you've changed the category.

Do you happen to have an example file where the edited file causes a crash but the original file doesn't (and the original file is available for download)? Having the two files to compare could perhaps explain why it's happening.

Haven't used P&M's program (I tend to prefer SimPE - habit...), but if this is something that continues, it could be an idea to contact them about it, in case this is some kind of bug in the program.

Thank you!
Yes, I think this is the case...
I replaced the objects that I edited in Object Relocator with their original versions from a back up I luckily had, and so far the problem seems to be gone.
So it seems the Object Relocator caused this. I'm not sure if it causes this for everyone or only for me for other specific reasons.
It could indeed be good to contact them about it and let them know.
Instructor
#6 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 9:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mrukel22
So it seems the Object Relocator caused this.

Object Relocator merely does what you tell it to do, if you tell it to relocate some object (tokens, parts of modular stairs, there may be others) that the game doesn't want to be relocated then the user is the issue not the app.

If you know which object / object types caused the issue, it may be possible to exclude them from the list.

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 10:03 PM
If you have an example file that you know for sure is causing crashes after the changes made, and can upload it (preferably alongside the original one, or link to it), that could help in figuring out what the issue is.

I'm also thinking it's most likely a setting in one or more of the objects that's causing the crashes, or a particular type of object that shouldn't be recategorized/edited.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Aug 2022 at 6:02 PM
I relocated food deco objects that I made into stockable to fridge for fresh food points. They were in the deco category, so I switched them to kitchen category using the Object Relocator. Maybe the reason the problem took place is fridge stockable objects are more complicated than just another simple deco clutter.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Aug 2022 at 7:29 PM
Did they work fine after you made them stockable, but before you relocated them?
Just asking because if you didn't first test them after making them stockable, it's possible the problem was with that edit.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Aug 2022 at 10:32 PM
Did they work fine after you made them stockable, but before you relocated them?
Just asking because if you didn't first test them after making them stockable, it's possible the problem was with that edit.

Yes! I played with them more than a year without a problem after having made them stockable