Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 1:34 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default Am I doing something wrong?
I have metnioned in the "What is happening in your game" thread that I was able to play the sims 2 again after a long time without it. But I have only just got the game installed and hardly have anything in the downloads folder and I've already had the computer working itself into fever temperatures, with the otherwise silent fans groaning like mad. I didn't expect that on this computer since it has been used (it's bought second hand) as a gaming computer and of the few options we had we picked this one because of how good this model was supposed to be at handling things like 3d graphics since mr AnMal does a lot of 3d fractal rendering and some blender stuff and other 3d modeling. I also thought this might be an advantage for running sims 2.

Here's what I know about the computer, but some of the specifics I don't have in my head:

Model is Dell Precision, M4800, it had been in use only for three years before we bought it, but previous owner got it cheap because the model was already so old (2013, I think?)

Processor - Intel Core i7 _4800MQ (2.70GHz) 6MB Cache

Hard drive - ssd 240 GB

Memory - 16 gb

Graphics card - NVIDIA Quadro K2100M, 2gb memory, GDDR5

There is a setup with double fans, one set for the processor, one for the graphics processor.

OS - Windows 10 (I tried using a virtual box with Windows 7, but couldn't get it to run the game properly)

I used the Graphic Rules Maker and the 4gb patch, without them the game flickered like an old TV screen, with them the game seems to look normal. I tried to run the game both on low and on high graphics settings, and the thing is it seems to make no difference when it comes to the laptop heating up, which is confusing to me. I just ran bodyshop and had time only to create two sims, with only a set of custom sliders in the downloads folder, and I have never before had a computer protest against that, but this one did.

Of course, we do not know exact how the machine has been treated by its previous owner, but it seems to be running everything else without problems so far. And this isn't the first time I have played Sims 2 on a second hand laptop, back in 2015 I ran it on my brother's old Toshiba from 2006 and it worked like a charm. Is there something I'm missing, something I should be doing to make it possible for this computer to run the game without overheating?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 1:42 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th Aug 2022 at 2:06 AM.
Depending on the usage from the previous owner, and how much you've used it, could be it needs some maintenance - has it been dusted out at some point? Could also be it needs repasting of the chip(s).

Also make sure you're using it in a cool space, and perhaps try using a cooling pad under it, or use it on a desk or table so there's room for the air flow.

---

I had a similar heating issue with TS4 on my previous laptop. TS2 worked fine, but TS4 would fire up the laptop like a jet engine, and the game would be very laggy for no reason. Never figured out why, but the game was pretty much unplayable. My new (gaming) laptop did the jet engine at first with TS4, but I fixed some ingame settings (it didn't like laptop mode ), and now it's a bit calmer. TS2 is usually calm as a breeze, but I had pink-flashy issues for a year, so there's always something...
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 2:51 AM
Have you double-checked that the computer is actually using that NVIDIA card?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 3:42 AM
Is this running with or without CC/texture mods?
How old is that graphics card? I personally wouldn't go under a 4gb card brand new.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 9:26 AM
Thank you everyone!

Simmer22: We were told the laptop had been dusted out before the sale, but of course we don't know how thoroughly that was done and we only have the seller's word for it that it was done at all, so I am going to try and dust it myself. I've never changed cooling paste myself, so that's scary, but maybe someone might be able to do it for me. I wouldn't have thought about that one myself, so thank you for reminding me! I always play in the only comfortable position I have - a special corner of our sofa bed - but I keep the computer on a laptop tray. Cooling pad might be a good idea.

PeniGriffin: Short answer is no. I wondered if this would be a problem, but I haven't got a clue how to check or how to make it actually use the card if it wasn't. I will look into it, thank you!

Joandsarah: First I ran it without anything in the downloads folder, just to see if it ran properly, but I didn't play for very long. I then tried out some sets of skintone defaults and ran the game for a few hours while I was doing that - I didn't notice anything then, the fans were working harder than at other tasks, but not so hard it was worrying me. Last night when I played I had four alien PT:s, the actual multi-PT mod, and a set of custom sliders in and noticed the problems after about an hour or so.so. Oh, and I switched to bodyshop, then it got really bad. The graphics card is an older one, it's from 2013. Making mental note of the 4gb, thank you! I did play for a couple of years on a 2006 laptop though, and I can't imagine that one had a 4gb graphics card.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Have you double-checked that the computer is actually using that NVIDIA card?

Quote: Originally posted by AnMal
PeniGriffin: Short answer is no. I wondered if this would be a problem, but I haven't got a clue how to check or how to make it actually use the card if it wasn't. I will look into it, thank you!

I have a different (newer?) NVIDIA card (GeForce GTX 1650 Ti), but this is at least one way I can check what graphics processor I'm using to play The Sims.

In my Start Menu I have a link to NVIDIA Control Panel

This brings up the NVIDIA Control Panel.
In the NVIDIA Control Panel go to Manage 3D Settings / Program Settings

1. Select Sims 2. You may have to use the browse button to navigate to the .exe file that starts your game.

2. Select High Performance NVIDIA Processor or whatever it calls it in your version.

I appreciate it may be different for your graphics card, but I hope this is some help.

----------------------------- oooooooooooooooooooooo -----------------------------

Off Topic -- Showing my Start Menu gives a bit of an insight to what I've got on my computer. Note that everything in "My Programs" is Sims-related! I love the fact that Windows has chosen a picture of Andrew getting out of a taxi in Monopolis as typical of the photos on my computer!
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 7:38 PM
Thanks, AndrewGloria! This morning I got to work on finding out how to force the use of graphics cards, so I did already try what you suggested, but it's very helpful to have here for future refernce! I have some problems with my own (not my computer's!) working memory, so I am glad to have the steps easily explained to look at.

I think the OS (Win10) might be stopping the changes I make, though! I tried what you described above, I also tried two other methods of doing the same thing, but when I open the game, my GPU checker (downloaded on advice from a very techy help forum with scary techy people in it) tells me it is using the intel card and when I go back to check, the menu in the NVIDIA control panel no longer has the line "High-performance NVIDIA processor" for Sims 2. I think sadly my future holds a lot of blowing air into the laptop, money spent on cooling paste and a cooling pad, and more time spent in scary techy help forums. But hopefully this will keep our new computer safe and I may be able to keep playing the game!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AnMal
Thank you everyone!

Simmer22: We were told the laptop had been dusted out before the sale, but of course we don't know how thoroughly that was done and we only have the seller's word for it that it was done at all, so I am going to try and dust it myself. I've never changed cooling paste myself, so that's scary, but maybe someone might be able to do it for me. I wouldn't have thought about that one myself, so thank you for reminding me! I always play in the only comfortable position I have - a special corner of our sofa bed - but I keep the computer on a laptop tray. Cooling pad might be a good idea.

Joandsarah: First I ran it without anything in the downloads folder, just to see if it ran properly, but I didn't play for very long. I then tried out some sets of skintone defaults and ran the game for a few hours while I was doing that - I didn't notice anything then, the fans were working harder than at other tasks, but not so hard it was worrying me. Last night when I played I had four alien PT:s, the actual multi-PT mod, and a set of custom sliders in and noticed the problems after about an hour or so.so. Oh, and I switched to bodyshop, then it got really bad. The graphics card is an older one, it's from 2013. Making mental note of the 4gb, thank you! I did play for a couple of years on a 2006 laptop though, and I can't imagine that one had a 4gb graphics card.

Another thing to check that often gets overlooked is the power supply. If that is worn out nothing else will be getting the power it needs. What you said about the fans made me think about it.

Also if you would like to ping us just add a @ before our full name. Otherwise I am Jo.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Aug 2022 at 9:51 AM
Hadn,t thought of that one either, so thank you, Jo!
(I should know about the name, you even have it in your sig - I don't tend to shorten either people's screen names or their ordinary everyday names without permission, so I'll try to remember I have your permission)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10 Old 20th Aug 2022 at 12:37 PM