Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#76 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 5:45 PM Last edited by MistyDW : 9th Mar 2014 at 5:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jess343434
The painting of the Prince was at multiple people's houses and so was the painting of the waterfall. Is it not what house they're in but what they are looking at/what's under them?

Sorry I thought I checked pretty thoroughly for them at the other houses but I do have clues for all four houses!
I will tell you that both portraits are either right next to or in the same kind of room in two of the homes. If you found any of them though, let me know where you found them and I'll send you the clue for that house.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#77 Old 9th Mar 2014 at 10:16 PM
Looks like we may push up the big decision until tomorrow evening because a few are still working the case. Just FYI.
Test Subject
#78 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 12:14 AM
I've figured out the clues and I have narrowed down the suspects this is fun my Sim's name is Anna and she has a dog named Ivan she has discovered all the potions and is awesome
Field Researcher
#79 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 2:02 AM
im 100% stumped.
Instructor
#80 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
im 100% stumped.

On what part? I can try to help you out without giving it away, if you want. Message me?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#81 Old 10th Mar 2014 at 5:43 AM
Here are the final decisions for those of you who are ready! I won't post the answers for those who are not until Tuesday (at which time I will show you every clue, what it meant, where stuff was found, etc.)

--Who is the murderer!--
Consider who you believe to be the murderer. By now, if you've done your job well, you should have one or two at the top of your list. Knowing that, where would be the next logical place to gather clues? Remember, the mystery will be unraveled in one place, but the killer is waiting for you in another! The answers aren't being posted right away so if you're not ready and still need time to investigate, do that first.

You'll be investigating these places at night.

CHOICE #1: Doo Peas Business Complex - If you believe it's high time you did some investigating there, possibly talk to a guard and find out when certain individuals came and went on the night of the murder and perhaps get a sneak peek at an office or two, then this is where you need to go to put the case together.

CHOICE #2: The Public Library: These families have been running this town for ages, especially the Goth's and the Landgraab's. That must be the link. If I can research some public documents I might find the motive for Cornelia Goth's death. Good thing it's open 24 hours!
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 11th Mar 2014 at 1:38 PM
I have to drop out, sorry!! It's still a really awesome challenge, but real life got in the way. Keep up the sleuthing and may the best PI win!

Absolutely Cuckoo - I'm Surrounded By Idiots
Pollard - a Boolprop EPIC challenge
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 11th Mar 2014 at 4:34 PM
Sorry I feel out on this one... You posted this on my eldest child's 21st birthday and I've been coping with the whole... I'll never have another baby of my own again combined with how did I get to be so old? LOL My mother is no help. She just says, "How do you think I feel, my oldest is 41." Apparently all we both did was blink.

Anyway... Give me the public Library.
Test Subject
#84 Old 11th Mar 2014 at 8:57 PM
i am really looking forward to getting started on this. it sounds really fun and who doesn't love a thrilling and exciting mystery? :D
Test Subject
#85 Old 11th Mar 2014 at 9:46 PM Last edited by Solonor1987 : 11th Mar 2014 at 10:58 PM.
Heres my Private investigator Eric Enigme he's a widower and living with his three boy.

Test Subject
#86 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 12:05 AM
Oh dear, I completely forgot about this! Schoolwork is a very cruel mistress, sorry.
I think I'm dropping out, if that wasn't apparent. Really good challenge!
Test Subject
#87 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
Murder/Mystery Case Files

INTRODUCTION – This is a very different challenge (at least from anything I’ve seen) in the fact that it is an ongoing, story-driven, series of events that surround a murder/mystery challenge. It is not designed to take a great deal of your time (maybe an hour or so a week). It is designed to create a lot of fun conversations on the forums and will test your mad sleuthing skills. I hope you like the seedy underbelly of sim-life because we’re going to be seeing a lot of that in this challenge!

BACKGROUND -- You are a top notch private investigator. There is a killer on the loose and he/she is so confident in their ability to stay one step ahead (and essentially make fools out of everyone) that they leave you weekly clues DARING you to follow them. These clues, interpreted correctly, will lead you deeper and deeper into a world of intrigue, betrayal, infidelity, and many other sins. Fail to do your job as an investigator and you will be the next victim!

GETTING STARTED -- The purpose of this first post is simply setup. Introducing you to how the game will be played. Essentially, that’s what this is…a game. The murderer pulling the strings and all the puppets dance. The question is can you get to him (or her) before they get to you? This challenge will involve a lengthy chase across multiple towns, interviewing sims, unraveling cryptic clues, and ultimately (at some point) may end up in you busting this case wide open and bringing a killer to justice!

THE TOWNS – The town we will be starting in is Sunset Valley. I’m going to be sticking to primary (base game & expansion) towns (nothing from the store). If we come to a town you don’t have, then just follow along until we arrive at a town you do have. We’ll be in sunset valley for the first few weeks and everyone has that!

THE INVESTIGATOR – You can create a family if you like; however, for the purpose of this challenge, you only need one character. I’m not going to give you traits. Those are totally up to you. What I would suggest is that you thoroughly read this introduction (as I will be describing how this process will work and giving examples of what you might expect). You design your character based on what YOU think will help you in solving the case.

EVENTS – Once a week I will post an event. This may range from a public announcement, newspaper article, or a private conversation involving your character and a client, etc. Events describe something that has happened (usually a murder). Anything that is relevant to the murder will be disclosed although just because something is relevant doesn't make it true. Cases will involve standard sims that come preloaded into the town when you launch it. To avoid someone moving out, you should be able to turn story progression off. There may be some clues in the event notice which may require you to follow a victim's path in your own town. You may need a particular skill that you need to develop. You’ll be doing a lot of work outside (regardless of the weather) and everything isn’t going to be easy to get to!

NOTES FORM “MISTER X” – Along with the public event announcement, you will receive an envelope from Mister X (the killer) containing additional information for your eyes only. The question is; do you believe everything you read? Some things may be interpreted multiple ways and unless you do well at piecing the clues together, you may end up on a wild goose chase! These will usually contain a riddle. Something you’re looking for that he left behind for you on the trail. Maybe he passed a brick house on his way to the murder scene and you’ll be getting familiar with possible routes and houses that match that description (these are just some examples). Once you think you’ve unraveled the clues, you can either post on the forum and share with your fellow sleuths or send me a private message. If you’ve got it right, you’ll get the right clue, if you got it wrong, you’ll get a bogus one. Problem is…I won’t be telling you if you got it right or wrong. If you think you may have made a mistake, you can always PM me and let me know you’ve backtracked and want to go a different route. If that means a different clue, I’ll give it to you.

THE BIG DECISION -- Toward the end of the week, Mister X will post on the forum again. This time he’ll be leaving two locations and you have to decide which one makes sense with your findings and seems like a logical place to go and which is a trap. You can only choose one. You’ll then respond on the forum (or to me in PM if you like) with where your character went. If you choose poorly, the killer will be lying in wait for you and your PI will be dead before he/she hits the ground! Before the next week's event takes place, I'll post all the clues that were given and what was and wasn't the right thing to do (just for your information).

I’M DEAD…NOW WHAT -- If you end up following the wrong clues/coming to the wrong conclusions and the killer gets you, you can still play but you will have to restart your character. For this reason, I recommend saving him/her to the clipboard immediately after you make them. That way you can just load them back up for the next round. Downside is you will have lost any skill progression you made.

SO GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE ALREADY -- I’ve hardly given you any information about what you might be facing. You may find yourself (before this challenge is out) having to pay a prostitute for information, follow the killer into the deep blue sea, staking out someone’s house or tailing someone because you’ve got a clue that their mistress knows too much and you don’t have a clue who that is yet. Obviously you might get a break and find out what you need right away or you could send days. It’s just the luck of the draw sometimes (such is the life of a private investigator).

OK SO WHAT ABOUT THE DETAILS? – Everything should be set to normal (although aging should be off for the time being). Choose a home and set your family funds to 1,000. You may only earn money by working your PI career (doing the jobs as they come up). For successfully surviving each week, you will be given a bonus that will help you along the way.

HERE IS WHAT I NEED FROM YOU!
Obviously this is a commitment on my part (and one I'm happy to make) but I don't want to waste my time if this doesn't seem like fun! Please respond and let me know if you'd like to participate or suggestions you have for the challenge. That would be hugely helpful and much appreciated.

I'm confused... Where do I get the challenges and how do I start???
Instructor
#88 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugartoo
I'm confused... Where do I get the challenges and how do I start???

You start by creating your Private Investigator.
What happens is- Multiple Cases will be posted on the forums, for example, we're at the end of Case #1 right now, and it's up to you and your sim to snoop around and find out 'whodunnit'. For example, the victim of the current case was dropped off by a very expensive car at a restaurant. So you follow some of the residents of your town around to find out who has the expensive car. Later, there will be clues to the case hidden throughout some houses, and clues will be given to those locations in the house. Once you've found the locations specified by the clues, you private message Misty where you think the locations are, and she'll tell you if you're right, and if you've found anything there. All of the steps and challenges are posted on the forum. Does this make sense?
Test Subject
#89 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:22 AM
Same if i am still investigated for the murder of Cornelia and now just like me her husband is a widower. But i sawc something wrong with a painting on the goths house and alto and Crumplebuttom but i have to investigate the others family for see what picture it is and the clue is where . But i can't trust that Agnes Crumplebuttom and that Vita Alto so why this two ladies hiding something i don't know yet.
Eric Enigme.
Field Researcher
#90 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Solonor1987
Same if i am still investigated for the murder of Cornelia and now just like me her husband is a widower. But i sawc something wrong with a painting on the goths house and alto and Crumplebuttom but i have to investigate the others family for see what picture it is and the clue is where . But i can't trust that Agnes Crumplebuttom and that Vita Alto so why this two ladies hiding something i don't know yet.
Eric Enigme.

I agree that Vita and Agnes are suspicious. you have just got to compare the clues.
Ada Legad (my PI)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#91 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 2:02 AM
Hey guys.

Just an FYI something has come up for me and I'm not going to have the time to do this particular challenge regularly. I still plan to update it with new cases as I'm able so don't worry! I've been putting extra hours in at work and until that passes, I just won't be able to commit the time to this. If anyone wants to step in and set up some cases, you're very welcome to do so. Here is the rundown on the case of Cornelia Goth.

The link between the 3 families was, in fact, career. Gunther Goth is CEO of the local business complex. Nancy Landgraab and Nick Alto are his vice presidents. Gunther and Cornelia's marriage had been struggling for quite some time. So much so that divorce seemed imminent. Gunther, a workaholic, never had time for her. In desperation, Cornelia made a pact with Nick Alto. She believed if Gunther were forced into retirement they would have the time they needed to save their marriage. To that end, she began feeding Nick information she retrieved from Gunther's briefcase and computer files. She would then transfer the documents on a flash drive or small disc and hide it in the soil of a potted lilies that she delivered to the graveyard once a week. Alto would visit the graveyard and retrieve the information the next day. So what happened the night Cornelia died?

Cornelia's conscience had finally gotten the better of her. She lied to Gunther and said she'd be attending a party at the Landgraab's when in fact she went straight to Nick Alto's house. She knew that Vita would not be home yet and it was there that she told Nick she was out. They argued loudly (loud enough for Nancy Landgraab to overhear them). Vita arrived home and Cornelia passed her presence off as waiting for Vita so the two of them could go to the spa. Vita then drove Cornelia to the spa and afterward dropped her off on the street near the salon at Cornelia's request. She later met her sister, Agnes, and had dinner at Flying Vs. It was there she told Agnes everything about what had been going on with Nick Alto. She had left one last pot of lilies for Nick that morning and she decides to leave the restaurant and head straight for the graveyard to retrieve them and hopefully prevent Nick from seeing the contents.

Meanwhile, Nancy Landgraab calls Gunther at work and tells him what she hears. In disbelief, Gunther leaves Doo Peas and travels to the graveyard. Sure enough, there is a pot of lilies hiding documents detailing some bad business deals he had involved the company in. Angered and betrayed, he grabs the pot and leaves for home, intending to confront his wife as soon as she returns.

Nick, totally unaware that Gunther already knows, arrives at the graveyard hoping to find anything that Cornelia may have left. Upon arriving at the grave he hears footsteps not far behind him and he hides behind a nearby Crypt. He carefully watched Cornelia approach the grave. If she blew the whistle on their little arrangement and told Gunther everything he would lose his job and his family would be disgraced. Nick could just imagine the look on Nancy Landgraab's face at his downfall. He had to do something to stop Cornelia for the sake of his family. Without thinking, he reached for a small handgun he always kept on his person (for protection) and shot her in the back of the head. She fell forward, slumped over the tombstone, and died almost instantly. In a panic he quickly left the graveyard and returned home. Little did he know that you would be on the case

Hope you enjoyed the case!
Instructor
#92 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
Hey guys.

Just an FYI something has come up for me and I'm not going to have the time to do this particular challenge regularly. I still plan to update it with new cases as I'm able so don't worry! I've been putting extra hours in at work and until that passes, I just won't be able to commit the time to this. If anyone wants to step in and set up some cases, you're very welcome to do so. Here is the rundown on the case of Cornelia Goth.

The link between the 3 families was, in fact, career. Gunther Goth is CEO of the local business complex. Nancy Landgraab and Nick Alto are his vice presidents. Gunther and Cornelia's marriage had been struggling for quite some time. So much so that divorce seemed imminent. Gunther, a workaholic, never had time for her. In desperation, Cornelia made a pact with Nick Alto. She believed if Gunther were forced into retirement they would have the time they needed to save their marriage. To that end, she began feeding Nick information she retrieved from Gunther's briefcase and computer files. She would then transfer the documents on a flash drive or small disc and hide it in the soil of a potted lilies that she delivered to the graveyard once a week. Alto would visit the graveyard and retrieve the information the next day. So what happened the night Cornelia died?

Cornelia's conscience had finally gotten the better of her. She lied to Gunther and said she'd be attending a party at the Landgraab's when in fact she went straight to Nick Alto's house. She knew that Vita would not be home yet and it was there that she told Nick she was out. They argued loudly (loud enough for Nancy Landgraab to overhear them). Vita arrived home and Cornelia passed her presence off as waiting for Vita so the two of them could go to the spa. Vita then drove Cornelia to the spa and afterward dropped her off on the street near the salon at Cornelia's request. She later met her sister, Agnes, and had dinner at Flying Vs. It was there she told Agnes everything about what had been going on with Nick Alto. She had left one last pot of lilies for Nick that morning and she decides to leave the restaurant and head straight for the graveyard to retrieve them and hopefully prevent Nick from seeing the contents.

Meanwhile, Nancy Landgraab calls Gunther at work and tells him what she hears. In disbelief, Gunther leaves Doo Peas and travels to the graveyard. Sure enough, there is a pot of lilies hiding documents detailing some bad business deals he had involved the company in. Angered and betrayed, he grabs the pot and leaves for home, intending to confront his wife as soon as she returns.

Nick, totally unaware that Gunther already knows, arrives at the graveyard hoping to find anything that Cornelia may have left. Upon arriving at the grave he hears footsteps not far behind him and he hides behind a nearby Crypt. He carefully watched Cornelia approach the grave. If she blew the whistle on their little arrangement and told Gunther everything he would lose his job and his family would be disgraced. Nick could just imagine the look on Nancy Landgraab's face at his downfall. He had to do something to stop Cornelia for the sake of his family. Without thinking, he reached for a small handgun he always kept on his person (for protection) and shot her in the back of the head. She fell forward, slumped over the tombstone, and died almost instantly. In a panic he quickly left the graveyard and returned home. Little did he know that you would be on the case

Hope you enjoyed the case!

Ah, awesome! That's amazing, I'm so happy you had decided to do this challenge. I would very much love if you were to continue and do more cases, but I do understand that RL comes first. Hopefully everything'll straighten itself out, and RL will go a bit easier on you.
I'm curious as to how many other guessed right at the end?

I would also like to note that I'll keep my mind open for some cases. I'm not that creative, but considering I watch an episode of Monk every night, one would think I might come up with some other murder mystery.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#93 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
Ah, awesome! That's amazing, I'm so happy you had decided to do this challenge. I would very much love if you were to continue and do more cases, but I do understand that RL comes first. Hopefully everything'll straighten itself out, and RL will go a bit easier on you.
I'm curious as to how many other guessed right at the end?

I would also like to note that I'll keep my mind open for some cases. I'm not that creative, but considering I watch an episode of Monk every night, one would think I might come up with some other murder mystery.

I never really considered myself a particularly creative person either. I'm sure there are many who could do this much better than me. I'm still going to do cases but only on weekends that I've had time to plan. I don't want to throw something out there that isn't good for you guys. I'm hoping to do a new murder case involving a kidnapping in a week or so but I just haven't had the time this week to put into it.

p.s. I only heard from a few folks and they all were on the right track. I had a bunch at the beginning and then I think several got stumped. But I don't believe anyone who participated in the last part died.
Test Subject
#94 Old 18th Mar 2014 at 4:16 PM
the case 2 will come soon i hope.
Test Subject
#95 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 7:57 PM Last edited by MeeKing : 22nd Mar 2014 at 8:01 PM. Reason: Didn't want to put another comment in xD
Quote: Originally posted by ladykelien
Agnes and Cornelia are more than just friends. They are Sisters. Cornelia's maiden name is Crumplebottom.

Hang on a second: Agnes never changed her last name from when she got married to her late husband. But they are sisters.!

Is it too late to join? D: I hope its not.. xD
I can do a forfeit if I am :3
(Great challenge btw! :D)
Field Researcher
#96 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MeeKing
Hang on a second: Agnes never changed her last name from when she got married to her late husband. But they are sisters.!

Is it too late to join? D: I hope its not.. xD
I can do a forfeit if I am :3
(Great challenge btw! :D)

There are different cases. I think its too late for this one, but you could join the next one, i believe
Test Subject
#97 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 11:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
There are different cases. I think its too late for this one, but you could join the next one, i believe

Hooray
This challenge seems like so much fun!! And since I watch a ton of Sherlock (new and old) This will put my super sleuthing skills to the test ;D
Test Subject
#98 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 1:56 PM
Oh my God, Yes!
I'm starting this NOW!
Test Subject
#99 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 3:22 PM
The thing that connects the Goths, Crumplebottoms and Altos is they all own a statue of a woman who has been petrified by Medusa.
I think
Page 4 of 4