Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Postal Package Editor (and API)

by Echo Posted 9th Aug 2009 at 3:27 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:14 PM by Nysha

162 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 151 Feedback Posts, 10 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 7
Test Subject
#76 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Hi Jizzy,

You're very welcome, and I'm glad you got it (mostly) working!

Because I don't have a Mac and it's illegal to emulate it on my PC, I unfortunately can't really test anything there myself. I'll do my best to help though!

How are you starting Postal? Are you using the .sh script, or just double clicking the jar file. If it's the latter, which one are you using?

I'm just starting it by double clicking the "Postal-gui.jar" file. I just tried the Postal.sh script and got a new text file with the following

And when I try the "start.jar" file I get an error. Thanks!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 6:00 AM
Can you tell me what error you get when you run start.jar?

The most likely problem is that Postal can't access enough memory. Loading up all the package files takes a fair amount of memory, and by default programs are only allowed 64mb. The .sh script has the ability to give it more memory, which would normally fix the issue.
Test Subject
#78 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 6:10 AM Last edited by jizzyb : 4th Dec 2009 at 6:47 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Can you tell me what error you get when you run start.jar?

The most likely problem is that Postal can't access enough memory. Loading up all the package files takes a fair amount of memory, and by default programs are only allowed 64mb. The .sh script has the ability to give it more memory, which would normally fix the issue.

How much memory does it need? I've got 2gb and all I'm running at the moment is Firefox and Mail.

Ok, now I'm starting to fear that I have a problem with my Java. I can change the preferences in one area, but in the actual folder whenever I try to run webstart or run the preferences in there they quit unexpectedly... I'll try to reinstall Java and see how that goes.

And when I run Start.jar I get "The program could not be launched Check the console for possible error messages". Stupid Java...

Edit: Sigh... So there was a Java update for Mac today and I was hoping that it would get stuff going since I had accidentally downgraded earlier, but sadly no dice. I'm still getting the still inactivity and nothing when I try start.jar. On the plus side, it doesn't eat resources when I try to run the console!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#79 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 7:13 AM
jizzyb: to make sure you've got enough memory available, open /Applications/Utilities/ActivityMonitor and look at the bottom left to see how much is free. Firefox can be a terrible memory hog – I've seen it use more than 2GB on my machine.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#80 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 7:17 AM Last edited by jizzyb : 4th Dec 2009 at 9:12 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
jizzyb: to make sure you've got enough memory available, open /Applications/Utilities/ActivityMonitor and look at the bottom left to see how much is free. Firefox can be a terrible memory hog – I've seen it use more than 2GB on my machine.

Otay! Will try and report back.

Edit: Still nada. I followed your directions on the second page, which stopped the errors from popping up when I opened the console, now it just won't open. Am I doing something horribly wrong?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#81 Old 5th Dec 2009 at 10:08 AM
jizzy, I don't think there's anything wrong with your computer. It's a very old rule built into Java that says that if you just double click on a jar file, it isn't allowed to use more than 64 mb of memory.

Are you comfortable using the console? If so, can you open up a console and go to the directory where you have installed Postal, then run the following:
java -Xmx1024m -jar "Postal-GUI.jar" &

That should start Postal in a new window, but keep your console window open. If you get any error messages in your console, could you copy them and paste them here?
Test Subject
#82 Old 7th Dec 2009 at 4:58 AM
I'll try it out, thanks for the assist! Sorry for the noobness.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 24th Dec 2009 at 9:11 AM
Just a quick note, I put a new version up a day or so ago. This includes several long string fixes and the type 16 OBJD format which showed up in WA.
Instructor
#84 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 9:27 PM
Is there a tutorial for this program? I'm trying to use it to view CAS part packages without loading the game (CTU's preview doesn't work on Mac) and I cannot find the 3D preview option.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 11:26 AM
emhpb, the 3d preview option is available for most files with the type "geom". If your package has one of those in it, select that line then click the "preview" button.
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 3:11 PM
I get "This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0_06". I have 1.6.0_17, the latest from the site linked. Help?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 2:10 AM
Hi Carina,
- Do you get this message when you are installing, or when you are running Postal?
- Are you running OSX, XP, Vista or Win 7?
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 5:14 AM
edit, wrong window (I need to go to bed)

I get it as soon as I click the exe. Tried the jar file, too; same thing. Also tried re-downloading, no good.

Running Win7.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 4:26 AM
Okay, can you go to the start menu, then in the little text box that shows up at the bottom of the menu, type:
cmd
and press enter. That should bring up a black command window. Into that, can you type this:
java -version
then press enter and copy/paste the response here?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#90 Old 15th Jan 2010 at 6:06 PM
How is importing a package meant to be working – is Postal supposed to read the group/instance from the filename, or is it normal that everything imports as UNK and then ngroup/instance need to be added manually? I'm not sure if this is a bug or just not implemented. I'm importing stbl resources that are named like "S3_220557da_00000000_00cce8975456cdc3.stbl" (exported from Postal) or "S3_220557DA_00000000_0000000000054515%%+STBL.stbl" (exported from s3pe).

There is a bit of an issue with adding entries to an stbl, as well – it works exactly once, after that the "Add" button just remains highlighted and nothing happens.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#91 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
How is importing a package meant to be working – is Postal supposed to read the group/instance from the filename, or is it normal that everything imports as UNK and then ngroup/instance need to be added manually? I'm not sure if this is a bug or just not implemented. I'm importing stbl resources that are named like "S3_220557da_00000000_00cce8975456cdc3.stbl" (exported from Postal) or "S3_220557DA_00000000_0000000000054515%%+STBL.stbl" (exported from s3pe).

There is a bit of an issue with adding entries to an stbl, as well – it works exactly once, after that the "Add" button just remains highlighted and nothing happens.

The former (TGI) is a "not implemented on account of Echo's laziness".

The latter sounds like a bug. I'll take a look.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 10:19 AM
Sonic, I'm afraid I need a bit more information if you want me to help... In what way doesn't it work? It won't install? It installs but won't start? It starts but won't open packages...?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#93 Old 16th Jan 2010 at 6:35 PM
If you want Echo to be able to help you, you'll need to post a screenshot or the exact wording of the error message at the very least. How is she supposed to know what "something about screen i guess" means? =)

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#94 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 3:25 AM
plasticbox: Yep, that's a bug, I've replicated it and I'll look into a fix. As a temporary work around, if you click "Commit" after each change, it will continue to work.

Sonic: You can find all the STBLs in the game by going to "File" > "Search Filepath", and typing "STBL" (no quotes) into the "Type" box and pressing "Search". To get slightly more detail, you can go to "Workspace" then "Show NMAP names". That will give you a description of each of the STBLs in the main line.

If you get a "cannot find file" error during this process, it is most likely caused by you installing Postal incorrectly. During the install, it will ask you to point to your TS3 install directory. Make sure that directory is correct, otherwise Postal will not be able to find the files in order to search them.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#95 Old 19th Jan 2010 at 10:07 AM
Would it be a big deal to make Postal remember the last location of the file browser between sessions? As in, don't make me browse to the same folder every time again? That would make it that much more convenient to use =).

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#96 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 3:33 AM
plasticbox, do you mean between windows, or between starting/stopping Postal?

Sonicfan, do you have any custom themes on your computer, or anything like that?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#97 Old 20th Jan 2010 at 4:46 AM
I mean between stopping and starting Postal.

Test Subject
#98 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 1:51 AM
Dear Echo,
Can Postal be used to correct a .Sims3pack file where the creator left out the thumbnail and it shows blank in the game? P.s I still have items created by you since the days of sims1, I wish you would create again. But, this is wonderful.
Thank you ahead of time for your help.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#99 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 10:39 AM
plasticbox - I'll see what I can do.

panuts - When you say it shows blank in the game, do you mean in the launcher, or in the actual in-game menu? If you mean the in-game menu, then there's probably something wrong with the package, since most of the time if no thumbnail is provided the game will try and generate one. If it's the latter, then it might be possible to fix with Postal, but I'm not certain. Could you give me some more information about the type of package it is? And thank you for the comment about my old items. They were fun to make at the time, but alas, the interesting challenges for me aren't in the content creation area any more.
Test Subject
#100 Old 21st Jan 2010 at 1:19 PM
I really hate Vista. I needed this program or one like it, but Vista won't let me install Java. :c Oh well.
Page 4 of 7