Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 26th Jul 2013 at 11:36 PM
anyway I can download this town? it seems perfect for me!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 27th Jul 2013 at 11:32 AM
Hi!
I have to say that I love Twinbrook (with its swampy and grungy looks) and always wanted to customize ist for the latest EPs, but unfortunately I'm not so good with CAW...
Therefore I love your version(s) of New Twinbrook and would appreciate, if there will be a light version for download!
Does it have still the typical Twinbrook landscape (hills and water reservoir) look, when you raise the sea level? Does it work fine, so that you can now swim in the water reservoir lake?
Some tiny islands (for playing IP) would be great, but I think the routing may be tricky (but maybe not, when there are only 1-2 islands)?
Is there also a place in your new version for some smaller appartment buildings and some nightlife and showtime venues (customized for the typical Twinbrrok look)?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#78 Old 28th Jul 2013 at 9:56 AM
Hi Aquina1, yes: the lake works just like an ocean, since all the water is now at the same level (height).
The swamp is now way cooler because it's bigger, there are way more lots and some of them are on poles now, with the lots partly over water (there are some pics if you scroll back)
I might do some small islands, but I'm not sure about it yet.
I used to have an area for high rise buildings, but I demolished that (it's where the fishing village is now). However, that version is still online (link is a few pages back). It does NOT have a boatable lake though.
I am doing apartments (most of the New Orleans style buildings contain 1 ownable apartment, and then there are the lofts near the science centre), but none of them will be shells. I will not have the Showtime shells though.
Hope this answers all your questions
Instructor
#79 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 4:00 PM
I think it is looking very lovely, really like the New Orleans style buildings. Twinbrook is one of my favorites so I will be grabbing this as soon as you have finished. Excellent work just excellent.
Mad Poster
#80 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsimillian
Using the small stone bridge in the swamp: yay or nay? (would look better once I refill the trees of course)

The bridge would definitely benefit from a recolour- to match it to the Mississipi atmosphere (i.e. metal railings, wood/asphalt deck). I wouldn't mind helping out

Tiny pet peeve:

In real life, the building on the right is also mirrored to the left. I would definitely try to do the same, or change it up completely so that it's unrecognizable. I would also try to use the CFE cheat to raise the steeple roofs so that they don't overlap the tower windows on the church. Alternatively, you could create the steeples using the same cheat to avoid the overhang altogether.

Great job, I can't wait to see the final product!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#81 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
The bridge would definitely benefit from a recolour- to match it to the Mississipi atmosphere (i.e. metal railings, wood/asphalt deck). I wouldn't mind helping out

Oh... that bridge is gone now, since someone pointed out that it looked out of place there. I still have another one close to the city though. A recolour would be very nice of you! I'd incorporate it in the "minimal CC version" though, since this version will be strictly no CC

Tiny pet peeve:
In real life, the building on the right is also mirrored to the left.

I knew that, of course but didn't want the repetition since a) I'm not trying to create New Orleans, just some of the buildings and b) in itself, I thought the building was a bit boring and I couldn't think of a use for two of them (the one I have is a natural history museum). But if you have any suggestions I'll think about it This would necessarily eat into the lot that's supposed to be Pirate Alley though.

I would also try to use the CFE cheat to raise the steeple roofs so that they don't overlap the tower windows on the church. Alternatively, you could create the steeples using the same cheat to avoid the overhang altogether.

I don't understand this. How do you CFE a roof? Do you mean using slanted floors to pretend they are roofs?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#82 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 1:31 PM
So how about this chapel?

Test Subject
#83 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 2:15 PM
Looks great in my opinion and suits the surrounding landscape very well. Though I'm not quite sure about the foundation colour...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#84 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 2:33 PM
Hmz, me neither...I went for a darker looking brick than the one pictured above in order to grunge it up a bit, but I don't know if I ought to stay with the brick...

btw, does anyone know how to prevent spawners from showing up in pictures in EIG? I tried buydebug off or some such but that doesn't seem to work...
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#85 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 5:00 PM
If you only recolor the resources and import them into the world file, they don't count as CC and only show up when you load your world. When I first found out about this, I went crazy recoloring stuff to make my world a little more unique. It's fantastic.

As for the church, I'd make it a little more white and then lighten the brick or choose a stone pattern instead.

Also, you're making me want to play in Twinbrook again. Gah! I can't wait until this is up!

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Theorist
#86 Old 5th Aug 2013 at 9:33 PM
Just played the beta. Its very good! In hood view, you can see truly how nice it is, real interesting layout, the extra areas fit nicely, now the town has a proper swamp, etc, I like it. I think that a better bridge could be used rather than the green one, it looks too modern next to the other ones. Also those skyscrapers, I would replace them with some boxy, industrial warehouses, to go with the old wharf next to it, an industrial zone. Good work though.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#87 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 9:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Also those skyscrapers, I would replace them with some boxy, industrial warehouses, to go with the old wharf next to it, an industrial zone. Good work though.

The skyscrapers and wharf are now a quaint fishing village. You can find pictures and an explanation why a page or two back
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#88 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 7:50 PM Last edited by Simsimillian : 10th Aug 2013 at 8:05 PM.
This is me right now:

Also I'm finally done with ALL the trees and ALL the spawners.
Turns out it was less work to splice in the spawners of the original Twinbrook, and just checking them one by one to see if any of them were underground. This means most of them will be in their original locations, unless I thought they would be better elsewhere. I didn't add any to their number, but rather re-distributed some of them to cover the new locations.

Oh and I hope there aren't any fans around of that horrible "ground fog" they had in the swamp, because I had to go and take that out. Yeah.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 11th Aug 2013 at 6:22 PM
You can't have a swamp without fog!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#90 Old 11th Aug 2013 at 9:32 PM
Hmz... There's still the general "everywhere" fog (the little grey balls). The "ground fog" I'm talking about is just a flat layer of cotton-ish stuff, and if you play twinbrook in some of the swamp houses it gets inside the houses even though they are on a foundation. It doesn't even look like fog, just like a flat floating pancake of white ooze... But if people actually miss that I'll put it back in once I release the definitive version
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#91 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 10:17 AM Last edited by Simsimillian : 12th Aug 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
I think that a better bridge could be used rather than the green one, it looks too modern next to the other ones.

I initially agreed with you, tizerist, and used the plank one instead. (the green one is the one originally used in Twinbrook as you recall) Only then someone pointed out to me that a) the plank one was a bit shoddy leading to the rich residential area and b) using only the plank one everywhere is a bit boring.

I tried other bridges, for instance there is a more rust colored version of the green one but that one clangs with the road paint. I would love to hear your bridge suggestions though
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#92 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 11:29 AM
Okay: since I was doing a road recolor for the wooden covered bridge anyway, I guess I can just as easily recolor the road part of any other bridge. btw Heaven, if you happen to read this: when you said 'only recolor the resources' did you mean overwrite the original? Like a default replacement? Or make a copy of the original bridge and have that somehow attach itself to the world? I'm confusing myself here
So I changed the one leading to the industrial area to the rust colored one. The one leading to the fancy area is still the green one. Let's take it to a vote! Keep in mind that you can see both these bridges at the same time, I mean they are close enough together to notice that they are basically the same bridge but in a different color. This might affect your vote.

Keep as is: agree
Both rust colored: disagree
Both green: helpful

If you have other ideas you can always just post of course
Field Researcher
#93 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 11:50 AM
You have to overwrite the original file, or make a new one, it doesn't really matter. Overwriting resources will only be overwritten in your world (so say you changed the painted lines on the rust bridge, if I had another world with the rust bridge your new file wouldn't affect it), so unless you're planning on using the original and your new version together in your world it's generally just easier to overwrite the originals.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#94 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 11:59 AM Last edited by Simsimillian : 12th Aug 2013 at 12:58 PM.
^^ oh, so you're talking about recoloring the "picture" files that I find when I open the world file with S3Pe, as opposed to cloning the bridge with S3oc? That makes sense!

edit: no you can't mean that... I can't find that texture file when I open my world file in S3Pe...

... Now I think you meant exporting the IMG from the cloned object package, and then importing that into the world package... testing that...

edit: Oh my! That IS what you meant! (guess I ought to practice reading more carefully)

Wow, I can totally see how one would, as you say, go crazy with this

Now what else do I need to do today and what can I possibly blow off...?
Mad Poster
#95 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 1:20 PM
You need to find the original IMG in the base game files (for the arched steel bridge, the Ambitions files) using SimPE first. They won't be found in the world package files
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#96 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 2:30 PM Last edited by Simsimillian : 12th Aug 2013 at 2:47 PM.
Tadàààà!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#97 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 10:48 PM
I need suggestions for the color palate of this wagon. I'm semi-satisfied with it, seeing as the one they gave us seemed just about ready for a gypsy-rave
Buuttt...

Now it seems like it's gypsy... christmas?

I'm thinking of replacing the dark red with light brown, and the current dark brown with ... more green maybe?
Scholar
#98 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 11:05 PM
I'd change the green. Maybe still green, but darker and...muddier. This one is too bright. I like the rest of the colors.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#99 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 10:19 AM
Did some more work on the gypsy wagon and also recolored the uni convenience store to go with the industrial area.

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#100 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:25 AM
Sorry, I hadn't checked into CFF in a couple of days. I usually come, at the very least, to check on this thread but I'm glad you got it figured out! If you need any further information about the recoloring thing, feel free to PM as well. /me is easily distracted

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Page 4 of 11