Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 10:15 AM
Default Help? Recolor of new mesh missing lit state image
So I made a light, details not important, of which I also made a larger version. The larger one recolors just fine, but when I go to recolor the smaller version, the lit state file doesn't even appear in the recolor tool. I followed the suggestion here to no avail (those recolors don't even work in-game at all), and I've tried extracting the resource and putting it in, I've tried cloning the unlit resource and changing the filename so hopefully it points there. Nothing. It's more or less the exact same mesh and UV map, I just can't seem to recolor the lit state and it defaults to the mesh's inbuilt lit state which are wildly different colors.

As I'm new to this whole meshing thing, I'm not sure what I've done wrong on the wall version of the lamp as opposed to the freestanding one. (Also, the mesh grab is quite a ways higher than the mesh itself and very small and that's an entirely different problem--that I can cope with, not so much the failed recolors.)
Screenshots

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 1:12 PM Last edited by d4RE : 31st Jan 2021 at 1:23 PM. Reason: ugh my f key is sticking
Which lamp are you cloning? When you clone the unlit resource and rename it to be lit, are you changing the instance number and commiting? In the new MMAT for lit, did you generate a new hash for the "family" string? Fix integrity and save? Also, are you including the ##0x1C050000![yourCRESname] prefix in the SHPE entry so it points to your local resource and not the original game package? (Probably need to check on making these changes in GMND, MMAT, TXMT, and STR# "Materials Names" text file as well, just in case fix integrity didn't catch it.)

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 9:09 PM
I'm cloning the Stylish Wall Sconce, and I ran the Fix Integrity tool. As to the rest, you may have to give me an explain-like-I'm-five to that, because my brain's not working well today. (Thanks in advance for your help, by the way.) I went ahead and attached the packages--the floor/outdoor lamp that works and the wall lamp that doesn't, just so you or other helpers could help me try to figure out why the darn thing works on one but not the other.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  neon light.zip (1.26 MB, 6 downloads)

Requests? Yes! See my journal entry for palette options! Shameless plugging of my Sim sites: (TS2) · TS4
Instructor
#4 Old 1st Feb 2021 at 12:02 PM Last edited by d4RE : 1st Feb 2021 at 1:33 PM. Reason: quick update
Quote: Originally posted by Deastrumquodvicis
I'm cloning the Stylish Wall Sconce, and I ran the Fix Integrity tool. As to the rest, you may have to give me an explain-like-I'm-five to that, because my brain's not working well today. (Thanks in advance for your help, by the way.) I went ahead and attached the packages--the floor/outdoor lamp that works and the wall lamp that doesn't, just so you or other helpers could help me try to figure out why the darn thing works on one but not the other.

Unfortunately, I'm better at understanding than explaining.

Luckily, though, we are at MTS, which is full of folks who are good at explaining. I will refer you to Echo: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=307603
Click the link to the Wiki page for the tutorial, and browse the thread for clarifications. This is a very good guide to help you understand how all the parts of a package (GMNC, GMND, SHPE, TXMT, etc.) work together.

I think any confusion you may have is rooted in my questions are for troubleshooting the clone you made *before* beginning recoloring, and you're looking at the problem from the recoloring viewpoint. The thread you referenced above involves making a new clone, with different SimPE settings to the one you're working with now (practically starting over). There's two ways to do it. Abandon your current clone and recolor the new one, or turn the new one into a recolor package by deleting everything but the MMAT, TXMT, and TXTR (after adding your new txtrs).

The point of redoing the cloning process is to add lit resources to your package so your recolors point to them rather than defaulting to the lit resources from the game package. There's the added bonus that the lit resources will be named with the CC prefix and your CRES name; so you don't have to individually edit them like you would with imported resources.

I'll have a look at these and see what we can do to make it work.

ETA: Two things caught my attention:

1. The "dinerwallsign_shade_blackfabric_lit" TXMT is pointing to TXTR "##0x1C050000!dinersign-shade-blues-lit", which is not in this package but is in the other working package. Simple fix: Edit this TXMT to point to the blackfabric-lit TXTR (change both the file list and stdMatBaseTextureName references).

2. In your TXTRs, the blackfabric-unlit has a lightened texture, and the blackfabric-lit has a dark texture. You probably meant that to be reversed.

Play around with the scenegraph tool as described in the tutorial. It's an excellent troubleshooting tool for quickly finding broken links like this.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 1:37 AM
Alrighty, thanks for taking a look. Back to square one it is, I guess. At least I've got my meshes.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 12:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
1. The "dinerwallsign_shade_blackfabric_lit" TXMT is pointing to TXTR "##0x1C050000!dinersign-shade-blues-lit", which is not in this package but is in the other working package. Simple fix: Edit this TXMT to point to the blackfabric-lit TXTR (change both the file list and stdMatBaseTextureName references).

@Deastrumquodvicis  I think you may have missed d4RE's edit.  Changing the values should make your light work.  You will want to edit the value on the Properties tab as well as the File List tab.
Screenshots