Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#726 Old 29th Feb 2024 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
But when I saw they left it in the driveway again, there was a part of me screaming on the inside "Aw, for fuck's sakes, Abraham!" I was not happy with the fact that they did that.

If it's anything like the delivery drivers in my country, then they are likely paid pittance and expected to deliver a large number of packages in a very short time. So if they carry the parcel down a long driveway on each house they visit, they likely wouldn't be able to deliver the items they need to in the time they have. A courier I was recently talking to explained to me how he had several hundred packages in his van, and that he had to do that many each day because he was only paid a few pence per item. Doesn't work out as much per hour when you take into account walking to and from the van, and driving around the streets. Plus they are self employed, so pay their own tax and costs and pension. No sick or holiday pay.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#727 Old 1st Mar 2024 at 1:13 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 1st Mar 2024 at 1:15 AM. Reason: Clarity and Addendum
I ended up lifting over 100 pounds today total and nearly threw out my back in the process.

Also, I am at a loss trying to figure out why my computer wasn't connected to my phone for audio\video transfer and then it connects. I got grumpy and was like "I am beginning to hate you, Bessie 3..."

I live in the United States and union\regulatory body rules may vary.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Scholar
#728 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 6:05 PM Last edited by Elynda : 4th Mar 2024 at 9:57 PM.
I broke my bed last night, just by sitting down on it. I had my doubts about the thing when I first saw it, in spite of my brother's assurances, when he helped me assemble it, that he had one just like it and never had any problems. The mattress is supported by wooden slats, rather like they had in P.O.W. camps, although I bet those were of a more robust construction. They'd have to be. with a lot of strapping great soldiers, sailors and airmen sleeping on them. And I, as I may have mentioned before, am a person of, shall we say, rather more modest stature. So if my bed breaks under my weight, how's it supposed to stand up under a full grown adult?

I couldn't even inspect the damage this morning, let alone fix it, since I had a doctor's appointment. "You've got to take care of your health", people keep telling me. Well, getting soaked to the skin, waiting for a bus while it pissed down with rain didn't help matters very much!

When I finally got back. I was able to attempt repairs. I discovered that one of the mid-most slats had snapped and the wooden support had come away from the main frame. The thing had actually been nailed into place, surely screws would have been better!. I had to drill out the nail holes so that I could put some self tapping screws through them, so it should be stronger than before. I Think i made a pretty good job it, except I didn't have any wood to replace the broken slat, so I had to borrow one from the end of the bed. Now I must hope the damned thing stays together, at least until I ca-n afford a new bed!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#729 Old 5th Mar 2024 at 2:24 PM
I'm getting fed up with my parents doing my chores while I am home. I am trying to prove I can care for this house.

Arggh! What a miserable time to be alive! Can't sit and rest for 15 minutes? For fuck's sakes, Abraham...I can't seem to catch a break!

Abraham? Just some teacher I worked with after graduation. He was irritating.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#730 Old 7th Mar 2024 at 2:30 AM
Heard about the telecommunications outages.

As the granddaughter and daughter of 2 respected telecommunications experts...I had that gut feeling like "Something ain't right".

Mad Poster
#731 Old 8th Mar 2024 at 12:14 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Mar 2024 at 3:07 PM.
So much nagging at work (at times I'm convinced certain people treat us like personal servants they can boss around - some people think yanking the call bells means they get first-dibs, within ten seconds rights to whatever they want, and get pissed off if they have to wait a few minutes, but never consider we can't be 10 places at once and that other people might need us too, especially those who can't/don't use the call bell...)

Then stressed from shop to shop and dragged 2 heavy grocery bags home.

And after dinner proceeded to fall asleep and be completely knocked out for 5-6 hours.

Plus it's spider and isopod season again. Those little bastards are everywhere (and for some reason love my room )...
Mad Poster
#732 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 1:36 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Mar 2024 at 3:33 PM.
Work. Again. Or information from work, that is. They can't pull their things together and put out decent information.
- Put the info in the proper channel - it needs to be a separate info blob, and where it belongs. If I stumble across it when I least expect it, and if the info is mixed in with some other random info and not a proper note in itself, I don't know how seriously I'm going to take it, either.
- Put it out in good time. Preferably at least 5 days to a week before (not in random place, and a day before the weekend when the meeting is a tuesday, especially when you're herding cats who mostly rely on the Jungle telegraph and maybe read the info a couple days a week at best - if they even know where/how to read it, because they barely gave us instructions for how to use the programs, just assumed some of us would figure it out and teach the rest, so a couple or so years later there are still people who barely know how to use the sites, like I witnessed only yesterday... ).
- Time, date, place and other info ("This Tuesday" or "Next Friday" is not spesific enough. Date, please! I don't care if you say it is tomorrow, I need you to put a date on it, because if I see it in 3 days I need to know if I've missed it or have to put it on the calendar!)
- Do I have to meet in-person, can I take it over the web, or do I have to be on the meeting at all? (If the info isn't super obvious, I'm going to assume the answer is "no". Also, I really do need to know if it's web-friendly if it's held in a room where web meetings are commonly held. If you don't say anything I am going to assume it could be web-friendly, especially if it's my day off. I'm not showing up if I don't have to, but I'm good with web meetings since those don't take much prep time. I've had too many cancelled meetings on my days off, and I'm sick of spending 2-3 hours on showing up for *nothing*, because nobody says anything if something gets cancelled, of course ).

I mean, come on? How hard can it be?

Quote:
RELEVANT HEADING
Meeting relating to *theme*, Thursday 14. March at 1 PM. Meet at *meeting place*.
Meeting is in-person only (OR) Use *this link* from home.
*Additional relevant info here*

Normally they are able to it, so why is it so difficult the times when they don't?
Mad Poster
#733 Old Yesterday at 9:10 AM Last edited by simmer22 : Yesterday at 7:58 PM.
The "curse of calm".

Never mention to a health worker who's coming on shift that "the last shift was calm/quiet/peaceful" or any other synonym. It's a curse upon the next shift. You can say it was an okay shift or something similar, but never use the word "calm".

Everything went somewhat fine the first part of the shift. Then the "curse of calm" hit with the force of a nuclear bomb on the last part of the shift 🥴

I mean, I've had worse days at work, but still... Just happy to walk out of there and let someone else deal with it for a few days...

(Got cake when I got home, from a birthday party I couldn't attend - a treat which was sorely needed)
Page 30 of 30