Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2011 at 4:33 PM
Default Seasons in Strangetown
Hello everyone,

I'm about to start a new legacy in Strangetown and since I didn't play it with the Seasons installed yet I need to decide what combination of seasons will it have. My first idea was of course something like two or even three Summers, but then I thought - if there ever was a place where you should see pinguins roaming the desert or cactuses in snow it would be Strangetown! I can already see some Beaker-like family being accused of changing the weather and causing chaos and them denying it with this huge weather-changing machine in the backyard. But having all 4 season just like everyone else seems also wierd. I simply don't know what to chose.
So I'd like to know if there is a way to, say, prolong the Summer but shorten the Winter in SimPE or something. For examle 5 days Spring, 8 days Summer, 5 days Atumn, 2 days Winter. Or have 5 seasons (probably not). Or if there isn't there already a mod for it.
If there isn't, share with me how you handled this neighbourhood, please. Give me some ideas

Thank you and please excuse my English
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 16th Feb 2011 at 4:39 PM
Can't speak to any of the rest of it. But I would imagine there is a way to do five seasons. When Seasons was first coming out I remember there being an exclusive for pre-orders where your Sims could have a combo season called Flummer. Don't know exactly how it worked because I didn't pre-order and couldn't get Flummer. But I'm sure someone who did could fill you in.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2011 at 5:16 PM
If it were me (I haven't seriously played Strangetown), I'd make it a true desert climate: Summer, Summer, Summer, Winter.

Have you considered putting them in a counterintuitive order? Summer, Winter, Spring, Fall?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#4 Old 16th Feb 2011 at 5:24 PM
I play it as a spring/fall type where it alternates. For me personally the weather of strangetown would take a backseat to the storylines i create.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Feb 2011 at 7:10 PM
I play Strangetown as Summer, Summer, Fall, Spring, with the idea that fall/spring are the rainy season, such as it is.
Beautiful Dinosaur
#6 Old 16th Feb 2011 at 7:31 PM
I play as all summer, but am thinking of adding a spring or two as a rainy season, just because my sims like to be outdoors a lot and they keep overheating!

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 1:20 AM
I play it as Summer/Summer, Spring/Spring because I see it as a southern Arizona type climate with desert like heat coupled with a Monsoon (heavy rain) season.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Albert Einstein "What Life Means to Einstein"
Forum Resident
#8 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cappyboy
Can't speak to any of the rest of it. But I would imagine there is a way to do five seasons. When Seasons was first coming out I remember there being an exclusive for pre-orders where your Sims could have a combo season called Flummer. Don't know exactly how it worked because I didn't pre-order and couldn't get Flummer. But I'm sure someone who did could fill you in.

That whole "Flummer" thing was debunked ages ago.

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 7:15 AM
On the other hand, Death Valley gets extremely hot in the summer, and freezing cold in the winter.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 12:46 PM
Desert Climates (Wikipedia)

I guess that real life deserts can have a pretty wide range of climates; generally with some hot times in there somewhere! I don't play any desert neighbourhoods myself, but if I did I think I'd go for Summer-Summer-Spring-Spring. Not sure why though! And it would depend on what kind of desert I wanted it to be - Summer-Summer-Summer-Winter would also have potential!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 12:48 PM
I've set Spring-Summer-Summer-Fall for Strangetown myself.

I also like to make sure any sub-hoods' seasons are the same as the main 'hood. Sometimes I forget and it'll be the dead of winter in Riverblossom Hills, a couple Sims go downtown, and it's summer and they're wearing winter coats. LOL
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 2:45 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions.
That Flummer sounds fun, pity it doesn't exist. I see the general idea is indeed Summers + rainy season (Spring or Fall). Yes, seems sensible. I knew that deserts tend to be really cold in Winter, even at night in Summer, but didn't know about the snow, interesting. I like the idea about mixing it up as well. Hmm, choices choices.
Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 7:07 PM
Personally, I set it as Summer-Summer-Summer Fall. Thinking fo changing Fall to Winter though. I miss the snow :P

Sweet Cherry Creations
Field Researcher
#14 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 7:21 PM
I see no problem with using winter for a desert town. In some deserts, like those of northern New Mexico, it sometimes snows as early as October and as late as May.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 7:47 PM
Did you know there are deserts in Antarctica? It's lack of water not temperature that makes a desert. Sorry, this is one for the useless trivia you know thread over in General Discussion.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#16 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 7:51 PM
I live in Southern Arizona and we get snow every once in a blue moon. I use all the normal seasons in Strangetown, because we have them in Southern Arizona (granted we don't get nearly as much snow here as occurs in the game)
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 8:27 PM
I would probably do the order as Spring, Summer, Summer, Winter. I was born and spent most of my formative years in Arizona, and what I recall of that, there was hardly ever any real kind of Fall. There was certainly a Winter, but there was never really much of a transition between that and Summer; usually it just got cold one day and stayed that way for a while.

More useless trivia: The fun thing about hot climates is that temperature perception differs depending on how long you've lived there. It's worse in tropical climates than desert ones, because of the humidity, but there's some truth to the old "blood thinning" wives' tale for both. Live in a hot climate long enough and you'll start breaking out the winter coats the minute the temperature drops below 70 degrees (F). That's why you sometimes hear about southern areas not really having a Winter (or, to quote a joke my family likes to toss around about Florida: how there's only two real seasons, Summer and Not-Summer ;D); to northerners who are used to colder temperatures, places like Arizona, Texas, and Florida seem warm all year long.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 8:50 PM
Anything above 65 and I'm breaking out shorts.

(Michigan native. Living in Ohio.)

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 9:03 PM
That's how I was back when I lived in Virginia It wasn't til I moved back down south that I lost my tolerance for it. I remember my first couple of years in Florida, I spent the whole Winter in shorts and spaghetti straps and gave odd looks to everyone walking around in long sleeves and jackets. But eventually I got used to it and now I bundle up with the rest of my friends come September.

You can always tell the native folk from the (American) tourists and recently relocated in Florida. The ones from up north and the midwest wear shorts all year round, and the ones from the southwest keep their car AC off and their windows down during the Summer
Instructor
#20 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 9:58 PM
I personally use regular seasons, but I also use Crumplebottom_Marky's desert weather mod. It's the same one I use for my post-apocalyptic hood since it seldom snows (not a big fan of snow in my game since it makes it a tad laggy).
Scholar
#21 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 10:59 PM
While Maxon is totally right in the definition of a "desert", I think of Strangetown as a hot desert as opposed to a cold one. Like in all my desert hoods, I set seasons as Spring, Summer, Summer, Autumn (as a Brit I refuse to call it "Fall"). Not because deserts can't be cold, it's more because I see snow as an odd component of weather for one.

In regards to hot and cold weather in general - I'm more tolerant of cold weather than some people I know (probably because I was born in the north of England, yet I live in the south, and spent every Christmas of my childhood back in the "frozen north"... without central heating) - my colleagues like to have the heating turned way up in winter, to the point where I'm too hot! In summer, I'll break out the cropped trousers once temps get above 65 Fahrenheit (I work in Celcius but am proficient in converting). However, in excessive temps (aka above 90) I'm too hot, although with high humidity I'm liable to crash in the 80s.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.