Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 6:08 AM
Default Are the Ottomans corrupt?
I just installed seasons and was reading through the threads about it and I see that people say the Ottomans are corrupt and they'll mess up your game? Something about the kids she had?

Is that true? Can making her have an abortion fix this before she has them?
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 6:13 AM
Patch your game. In the pre-patched Seasons, the mother is pregnant with a broken father link. The patch fixes the link and the father will be recognized as the father as intended. IIRC, without the patch, the game grabs some random person or thing as the father of the to-be-born infant(s).

ETA: Always patch your game.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 2:46 PM Last edited by Fivey : 31st Mar 2012 at 6:06 PM.
Well, I've never did any extensive research on them, but the Western Europeans sure had a lot to say about them during the Greek War of Independence. I guess it was just the time of Romanticism though.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 4:38 PM
LOL. Good one, Fivey. Brilliant typo play there. I love messing around with typos.

Seriously though, I can't answer first hand. Because of what MSD said about the unpatched game, I've always exterminated the adult Ottomases, sent David to college (if I was feeling merciful), and let the younger end up in the adoption pool. In my longest Ottomas game, David went to college and got married. Then when it was time for them to have kids they adopted Sharla. But David's wife carried on an affair while he was at work with another college lover of hers. So Sharla became a vengeful bee-otch who along with her lesbian townie sidekick vowed to ruin the paramour's life once they got to campus. I got as far as graduating the murderous lovers and drowning the cad in the pool at their love nest before I lost steam and quit playing that one.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 5:20 PM
I didn't even consciously patch my game till after I landed here, with my neighborhood well in progress, and I've got my Ottomas twins in college, a sixth kid out of Peter and Samantha, and David and Sharla married and breeding with no problems. Apparently one of my later installs had the Seasons patch on it, and since my first experimental run with Seasons (I was adding the EPs one at a time) was on a different machine, and if I'd played the Ottomases during that run, I probably would have run into this famous corruption.

But many, many people have played the patched Ottomases just fine. Many people still find them hopelessly homely, but that sixth kid of theirs is the cutest teen in her age cohort, so those people can jump in a lake.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 5:54 PM
I found even the patched pregnancy twins to be glitchtastic. So I would abort the pregnancy and get her pregnant with a new set of twins myself. I lost Riverblossom before those twins even turned child. After they were born every child and baby that wasn't already created with the game developed ltw, and then houses started disappearing.

Edited to put in proper name.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 6:29 PM
Yeah I didnt want to play them in the first place so Im going to make her lose the babies anyway and maybe kill them off or turn them into townies since I dont want to clutter my cemetery with sims I dont care for
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 6:34 PM
That's...a lot to blame on a couple of babies, Mule, especially when so many other people haven't had a problem with them. Surely there were other contingent circumstances in your game that should bear responsibility?

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#9 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 10:18 PM
Well, seeing as how I'd just started playing the hood, and they grew up into toddlers with ltw's and non-functioning inventories. Where as the the other children who were adopted or born before I got to the Ottomas didn't have ltw's until after. And I hadn't done anything potentially hood corrupting other than letting those twins be born. I don't see what else I could blame it on.

Also while most people do have problem free Ottomas twins when properly patched, I've heard of a few other rare instances of people having problems with them even patched. Better safe than sorry really.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 11:47 PM
I never seemed to have a problem with it, even before I got the seasons patch, and I have reinstalled Sims 2 a couple of times and had no Seasons patch (Different reasons, one being got a new computer as the old one was well crap). I should know since I play the Ottomas regularly or well when I do play Sims 2.

And when I say regularly I mean I make Samantha give birth already by Insim/Inteen and then she runs off with Priya Ramaswami to a little love nest with a different story in each neighborhood (Even some with Daniel and Sanjay getting together in spite of the two after they breakup). All relationships with the babies are normal (But often or not Samantha is usually the last one standing out of her entire family.. You know.. accidents happen *evil grin*)
Site Helper
#11 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 2:17 AM
When you patch your game, it won't fix any existing Ottomas family in any existing neighborhoods. The Ottomas fix only applies to newly generated neighborhoods, or to neighborhoods which do not have the Ottomas family in the bin until after the patch was installed.

Therefore, it's quite possible that their game was patched but their Ottomas family was still corrupt.
Scholar
#12 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 8:11 PM
Poor Ottomas' family !!! I've ALWAYS exterminated the whole lot of them and made them guests of honor in the cemetary. Each of my hoods gets its' own cemetary on a residential lot with a creepy-looking caretaker.

" Inama Nushif "
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 8:46 PM
I have a patched Seasons game and my Ottomas familys' children (David, Sharla, etc) are well in to adulthood. I have had no issues with them at all (except for the interesting genetics)
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 8:51 PM
Whenever I've needed to install my game, I have always patched each expansion as soon as it was installed. So I've never had a problem with them. Sure, their kids are incredibly ugly, but they're a sweet family to play.
If you're very bothered by them, they're fixed in meetmetotheriver's clean neighbourhoods, either as stealth bin sims or as part of her new Viper Canyon hood that's just for all those bin sims. It won't fix any Ottomas you already have, but it does mean that if you DO decide to give them a chance, they'll be just fine.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 9:58 PM
The Ottomases are fine if you've patched the game properly. And anybody who thinks they are ugly has a very low standard of ugly. My Hawkinses have them beat by a mile.
See:

Hawkins female, Ottomas male. I look forward to breeding them so much!
People oversell the Ottomas ugly by a long, long way. It's just that the hollow eyes on the toddlers are a bit of a shock to the unprepared mind.

Personally I think Petra here is a real doll.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 10:03 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 1st Oct 2012 at 10:22 PM.
The eyes on the toddler are a little weird looking! My Samantha's eldest set of twins recently became children and they look fine now. Not stunningly gorgeous or anything, just normal, which is fine by me! :-)

**ETA** Her second set, fathered by Castor Nova, will become children in a few days. I'm curious to see what they'll look like :-)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 10:15 PM
I installed and patched in order on my last install and the Ottomas family play just fine, including the twins who are now children. Two girls. One looks just like the ugly old grandma- poor thing, the other one looks okay. David grew up and not being too well educated grew straight to adult and became the towns pest exterminator. He's married with a wife and a toddler and lives in a trailer park.
I didn't fire up the game until all EP's, SP's and patches were on though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#18 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 10:52 PM
If you're running Store Edition, the Ottomases are just fine. The Store Edition seems to be patched: teen aliens keep their eye color, no missing DNA in the Strangetown folk, Peter is the father of Samantha's twins, etc.

I'm looking forward to adding them to my Strangetown. Dora is terrific, I've never played a Romance/Family pair before so Peter and Samantha are going to be an experience, and the kids are uglycute to the extreme (well, the twins tend to be; the premade kids are more normal-looking).

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
#19 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fivey
Well, I've never did any extensive research on them, but the Western Europeans sure had a lot to say about them during the Greek War of Independence. I guess it was just the time of Romanticism though.

Thank you, Fivey, for my laugh of the day.

And to this day I think of that family as "The Ottomans", I think I always will. They totally should have been The Ottomans, they snagged Constantinople (not Istanbul) AND they became a comfy spot to rest your feet. What's not to love?

Ottomases? What did they ever conquer? And judging by these posts, they're obviously not comfy either.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien
Scholar
#20 Old 1st Oct 2012 at 11:58 PM
...Not only do I now have that song (which I love!) in my head, I have the sudden, horrible urge to name my game's Ottomas twins "Istanbul" and "Constantinople."

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
#21 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aegagropilon
...Not only do I now have that song (which I love!) in my head, I have the sudden, horrible urge to name my game's Ottomas twins "Istanbul" and "Constantinople."

That is not a horrible urge, that is an awesome urge which I highly recommend indulging as soon as possible.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien
Mad Poster
#22 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aegagropilon

Do it! Do it do it do it! You know you want to....
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 12:48 AM
It's a shame they aren't triplets, then Byzantium could be added to the list!

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

LJ Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 12:57 AM
Here is a pic of my Ottomas offspring:

Top row: Samuel - David - Thomas
Bottom row: Pauline, Penny, Sally and off to the side is Sharla

They are one of my favorite family legacies to play!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 1:00 AM
They could always adopt a pet....
Page 1 of 3