Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#151 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by angel f
Not sure if there still are cards with AGP slots available. I suspect your system is quite old and maybe instead of buying a new AGP card, if you have the money of course, you might want to upgrade your whole system.

My system is about 2 years old, which I suppose is kind of ancient for a ccomputer :confused: I would have thought that computer companies could at least keep the slots the same to make upgrading easier. Do I smell a conspiracy?

canoodle, that site looks like it doesn't ship to Australia but at least now I know I need to search for AGP cards.

Looks like I better just take it down to the local shop and ask them what cards they have that will fit. Maybe they'll even find that I have a PCI E slot :D

Thanks for all the information. At least now I know more about what I should be looking for
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#152 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 12:16 AM
Another very quick question...the way the cards are listed in the very first post, would they be inorder of what the best cards are?

I would assume GeForce 5500 is better than a 5200 but then is an S3 GammaChrome better than a 7900?

By the same token, is a Radeon X800 better than a 9600? And where it says the x1300 is compatible...does that carry over to the x1350?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but there's doesn't seem to be any way for the uninitiated to tell which the better cards are
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#153 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 12:53 AM
Nice little tutorial.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/graphics-card.htm

Check through the whole article and the links on the last page. It will give you more information on what to look for when buying a card. I went to my local nerd and asked. LOL I ended up with a ATI x850 on my gaming computer, and I am very happy. Remember, really high end cards may require extra fans to keep the card/case/mb cool depending on your configuration. As far as I'm concerned, if my computer doesn't sound like a 747 taking off...it's not being kept cool enough!

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
#154 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 4:36 PM
Funney after putting all my money into my new high powered pc it broke 2 weeks later then i get it back 1 week later and it was NOT fixed and 1 moreweek and he gave me vista free the ulmite one worth it or not?
Test Subject
#155 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 11:16 PM
I'm getting a new graphic card geforce 6000, would that work ok with seasons? enough to see pool reflections etc?
#156 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 10:28 AM
The suckie-suckie thing about seasons is that, for the swim-pool, the mirror reflection, shadowing , blah blah were added to the caustic animation activation codes...

That's why when one of those features won't work in a lower end card, the others won't!

I had the caustic animation and the swim-pool surface animation and mirror reflection for the older EPs... but now, most are gone with the clumsy codes...

verbally kicking their butts for that :loco: !

corvidophile2,
I've got the same game version for a copy... :D
Test Subject
#157 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nil
The suckie-suckie thing about seasons is that, for the swim-pool, the mirror reflection, shadowing , blah blah were added to the caustic animation activation codes...

That's why when one of those features won't work in a lower end card, the others won't!

I had the caustic animation and the swim-pool surface animation and mirror reflection for the older EPs... but now, most are gone with the clumsy codes...

verbally kicking their butts for that :loco: !

corvidophile2,
I've got the same game version for a copy... :D

so would the gefoce 5600 work with the sims with the pool reflections?
Theorist
#158 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dorka
Hey, for the people with resolution trouble, I got worried so I checked the main site... someone offered this solution:

So maybe you can try that? I've got it saved for when I get my game and card. xD

not working with Celebration stuff... I did that with Seasons IIRC and it worked perfectly fine back then, until I installed Celebration 2 hours ago and it reverts back to 800x600

I tried changing them again, the graphicrules.sgr of celebration, pets, and seasons and it still not working... help please?
#159 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 4:02 PM
How do you know what graphics card you have?
Hi, I'm new to this site and I can't get the sims 2 to work on my PC. It runs for about 10 minutes and then crashes. I believe it might be my graphics card that is causing the problem but I don't know where you look on your computer to see what graphics card you have. If anyone knows where to look, please reply.

Stupid people are stupid
#160 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 5:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TeddetP
Hi, I'm new to this site and I can't get the sims 2 to work on my PC. It runs for about 10 minutes and then crashes. I believe it might be my graphics card that is causing the problem but I don't know where you look on your computer to see what graphics card you have. If anyone knows where to look, please reply.

Please post on MTS2, but there's a thread in the sticky of the helpforum that might be interesting to you:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...8&goto=lastpost
#161 Old 1st Jun 2007 at 7:10 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look and see if anyone can help.
Page 7 of 7