Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Any Game Starter 3 [Updated: v. 2.6]

by jonha Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 12:44 PM - Updated 1st Dec 2020 at 6:34 PM by jonha

292 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 253 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 12
Scholar
Original Poster
#51 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BubbelsDarling
Jesus Make It For Mac aswell

Sorry, I don't have a Mac. Of course I could try to port it using Mono, but I don't think the methods I use to fake the folders etc. work on other OS. Someone with a Mac would have to code a separate application.
Forum Resident
#52 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 6:58 PM
I went back and looked at the path. The Sims 3 Directory instead The Sims 3 World Adventures. I thought that might be the problem. I Changed the path to go WA directory and used TS3EP01.exe Now I get a message that WA is incompatible and I need to update my game. I must have done something else wrong. I should no better than to work on things like this at 3:00 AM

Eventually I'll take the time to reinstall game and EP's for now I am just happy I didn't mess up completely. It still works for the Base Game and Ambitions. The only reason I would want it to work for WA is if I was going to make something for people who don't have Ambitions. Sorry for long post. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Test Subject
#53 Old 20th Jun 2010 at 8:36 PM
Someone should create a patch where all the sims 2 cc works for the sims 3.

Now that, would be pure genious.
Forum Resident
#54 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 5:50 AM
Default Little glitch
I now have 8 profiles including the default.

2 times now your mod has failed to create The Sims 3 directory it only goes as far as Documents. This is what the path looks like when that happens:

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\AnyGameStarter3\Games\Ambitions Play\Documents

I then delete the profile and create any new one and everything works fine.

I really love this mod. I do a lot of building and modding and testing which was hard to keep track of. Now I have different profiles for those things, one that has all the mods to be sure they are all compatible, AND one with bare minimum of mods just to play. This is so much better than the Sims 2 AnyGame Starter. Thank you so much for giving this to us.

:lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Scholar
Original Poster
#55 Old 21st Jun 2010 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
2 times now your mod has failed to create The Sims 3 directory it only goes as far as Documents. This is what the path looks like when that happens:

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\AnyGameStarter3\Games\Ambitions Play\Documents

This should be enough. Run the game once, and it should create the Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\... folder. But I will add auto-generation of the sims folders after profile creation, if possible.
Scholar
Original Poster
#56 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 5:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Aha, I've fixed the issue - it was stupid user error. I'd used CFF Explorer to edit my game exes to allow >2GB memory (as well as various other things that looked interesting). Restoring the original exes fixed everything. Thankyou.

Quote:
Good to hear. Althoug I still don't understand how using CFF Explorer could cause something like this. AGS only checks if the TS3_EPxx.exe exists, not the file content.

OK, I think, I got the issue. You probably had 2 TS3*.exe files in this folder, right? Well, my tool only detects games when there is exactly one suitable .exe file in this folder. I fixed this issue for the next version.
Test Subject
#57 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 2:36 PM
The program continue loading ALL Custom content.
And for you question: yeah it writes "Version 1.1" In the bottom of the Program screen.
Scholar
Original Poster
#58 Old 23rd Jun 2010 at 4:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Antik9797
The program continue loading ALL Custom content.

Yes, it does. Because your content is probably installed in program files, right?

If you want different CC for your profile, move the CC to your profile folder(s).
Inventor
#59 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 3:52 PM Last edited by crinrict : 24th Jun 2010 at 4:06 PM.
I tried to make a new German profile (games are all bought in swiss stores) but when I started the game it was still in English. What did I do wrong (see pic) ?

Also tried to use the FPSLimiter. For that I tried to put the 3Booter in the executable in the line as you suggested (in the one of AMB) but nothing happened at all. Do I need to put it in the base game folder and start it from there ?
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#60 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crinrict
I tried to make a new German profile (games are all bought in swiss stores) but when I started the game it was still in English. What did I do wrong (see pic) ?

What game version do you have? (last digit/region code is interesting...)

I suppose in swiss the game should have the german language included, but, anyway, depending on if you have the worldwide edition, the asian edition, the american edition, etc., some languages may not be available and will be replaced by english. I plan to add detection of available languages in the future, but I didn't found an overview which versions have which languages included, yet.

Quote:
Also tried to use the FPSLimiter. For that I tried to put the 3Booter in the executable in the line as you suggested (in the one of AMB) but nothing happened at all. Do I need to put it in the base game folder and start it from there ?

Folder shouldn't matter. I will try to reproduce the problem, maybe I have to set the working directory or something.
Inventor
#61 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 6:11 PM
Region is 2 for the base game and RA and 1 for LA and AMB (seems to be like that for all German games). I did get the option to install in German so it's definitively there (I just prefer the original language).

I would need the german for my translations of Twallan's mods for it's such a pain to always replace all the STBL everytime he updates.
Scholar
Original Poster
#62 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 6:44 PM
Region is 2 for the base game and RA and 1 for LA and AMB (seems to be like that for all German games). I did get the option to install in German so it's definitively there (I just prefer the original language).

I would need the german for my translations of Twallan's mods for it's such a pain to always replace all the STBL everytime he updates.

Region 1 seems only to contain English, French and Spanish, maybe that's the problem. When you create a new german profile only containing the basegame (which should be in the worldwide region=2), is that in german?
Inventor
#63 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 7:44 PM Last edited by crinrict : 24th Jun 2010 at 8:43 PM.
I tried some things.

Did only change the checks on the EPs.

1st test: All EPs unchecked. --> Game started in german and the splash screen was from the base game
2nd test: WA checked, the others unchecked (my WA is region 2) --> Game started in english and the splash screen was AMB
3rd test: AMB checked, the others unchecked (AMB is region 1) --> Same result as in Test 2
4th test: HEL checked, the others unchecked (HEL is region 1) --> Same result as in Test 2 & 3

I also asked some people who are playing in german and they also have AMB region 1 and HEL region 1.

So, very very strange.

EDIT: Tried es-es and es-mex. Would not work either. Also got an error when I delete a profile without starting the game between creating it and deleting.

EDIT EDIT: Win 7 64-Bit.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I tried to put the exe of AMB and now it's german. So I think it is important which exe you use. I also tried to just start base game and WA just now. For that I had to use the WA exe and I had to patch WA for it to work. Since ea does only patch the newest version and the base game you have to do that manually.

So now all I need to figure out is how to use 3Booter with that (and no - not going to ask at MATY about that).
Scholar
Original Poster
#64 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 10:15 PM Last edited by jonha : 24th Jun 2010 at 10:51 PM.
I tried some things.

Did only change the checks on the EPs.

1st test: All EPs unchecked. --> Game started in german and the splash screen was from the base game
2nd test: WA checked, the others unchecked (my WA is region 2) --> Game started in english and the splash screen was AMB
3rd test: AMB checked, the others unchecked (AMB is region 1) --> Same result as in Test 2
4th test: HEL checked, the others unchecked (HEL is region 1) --> Same result as in Test 2 & 3

Hmm, strange result. You get an Amb splashscreen when only WA is checked? Can you please verify, that you actually get WA content ingame and not Amb content?

Anyway, I will try to reproduce these problems.

EDIT: Yes, I can reproduce this problem. Next version will have this problem fixed. For now just make sure to use the exe file of the last EP you select. This should work.

Quote:
I also asked some people who are playing in german and they also have AMB region 1 and HEL region 1.

So, very very strange.

Right. Me, too, for some strange reason. Not sure, why. Probably need more testing.

Edit: It probably doesn't matter as the issue why the language hasn't been selected is above. Probably EA just merged region 1 and 2 for the new EPs.

Quote:
EDIT: Tried es-es and es-mex. Would not work either. Also got an error when I delete a profile without starting the game between creating it and deleting.

Yes, possible. I suppose, I already fixed that.

Quote:
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I tried to put the exe of AMB and now it's german. So I think it is important which exe you use. I also tried to just start base game and WA just now. For that I had to use the WA exe and I had to patch WA for it to work. Since ea does only patch the newest version and the base game you have to do that manually.

Okay, I think it will not hurt to change AGS so it starts everytime the last selected EP exe. - On the other hand, you are right, there may be problems, when the EP isn't updated properly if EA is only updating the last EP and the basegame. (Mhh, on my computer, WA has the current version, although I didn't think I updated it manually...)

Quote:
So now all I need to figure out is how to use 3Booter with that (and no - not going to ask at MATY about that).

As I said, I will check this. Probably at the weekend.

Edit: 3booter had been fixed, too. I will upload the fixed version, soon. Probably at the weekend as I said.
Test Subject
#65 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 12:20 AM
I downloaded the program, super excited! Only issue is that whenever I click to run it i get: Any game launcher has stopped working. Not sure what the issue is? :/
Test Subject
#66 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 12:21 AM
i cant make it work. every time i ever tried to make a new profile appears error:

(i have win 7 32 bit)

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION OCCURRED IN YOU APPLICATION. IF YOU CLICK CONTINUE...BLABLA....QUIT THE APPLICATION WILL CLOSE INMEDIATELY.

OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Jonha.TS3.AnyGameStarter.Gui.MainForm.StartDefaultGame()
at Jonha.TS3.AnyGameStarter.Gui.MainForm.Profiles_ItemActivate(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnItemActivate(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
at Jonha.TS3.AnyGameStarter.Gui.ListViewEx.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AnyGameLauncher
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Any%20Game%20Starter%203/AnyGameLauncher.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Sims3AnyGameStarter
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Any%20Game%20Starter%203/Sims3AnyGameStarter.EXE
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

--------

PLS HELP. REGARDS.
Scholar
Original Poster
#67 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by User Name_SC
I downloaded the program, super excited! Only issue is that whenever I click to run it i get: Any game launcher has stopped working. Not sure what the issue is? :/

Please run FixRegistryRights.exe from c:\program files\Anygamestarter3\ (or where you have installed it)

Does that fix the issue? What windows version do you have?

Quote: Originally posted by polluxval
i cant make it work. every time i ever tried to make a new profile appears error: ...

From the exception text it looks like you are clicking on "Default Profile" and not on the "Add Profile..." button at the bottom, but I still don't get why you get the error message. Do you actually have the sims 3 installed?

Please test the next version, I will release tomorrow or so. I suppose, it will still not work, but you should get a better error message.
Inventor
#68 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 9:06 AM
Now I post a BIG thank you. This is really a very handy tool.

(my comment wasn't meant to rush you or anything. Just stating. Sorry if it came across that way)
Field Researcher
#69 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 11:51 AM
This is great. I am having one problem though, that I can't figure out. For some reason, the Default profile is reading Ambitions, but if I look what expansions are there it is not in the list, nor is it in the list for a new profile. I only have an icon and a check box for HELS and WA. Any ideas?
Scholar
Original Poster
#70 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yadarya
This is great. I am having one problem though, that I can't figure out. For some reason, the Default profile is reading Ambitions, but if I look what expansions are there it is not in the list, nor is it in the list for a new profile. I only have an icon and a check box for HELS and WA. Any ideas?

You probably have multiple TS3*.exe files in the ambitions\game\bin folder. Maybe a backup because you installed a nocd hack or because you increased the available memory?

Anyway, this should be improved with the next version.
Test Subject
#71 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Please run FixRegistryRights.exe from c:\program files\Anygamestarter3\ (or where you have installed it)

Does that fix the issue? What windows version do you have?

ah! thanks it worked! super excited!
Field Researcher
#72 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
You probably have multiple TS3*.exe files in the ambitions\game\bin folder. Maybe a backup because you installed a nocd hack or because you increased the available memory?

Anyway, this should be improved with the next version.

Yes, I had modified the original .exe to read more than 2G RAM. Do I have to remove the copy(original) from the folder, or should I only run this from the original .exe?
Scholar
Original Poster
#73 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 1:44 PM Last edited by jonha : 26th Jun 2010 at 2:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by yadarya
Yes, I had modified the original .exe to read more than 2G RAM. Do I have to remove the copy(original) from the folder, or should I only run this from the original .exe?

You can remove the original from the folder, or rename it to something, my program doesn't detect (for example rename it to backup_TS3ep02.exe so it doesn't begin with TS3).

Or simply wait, until I release the updated version of AGS3, which should be in a few hours and has this problem fixed.

EDIT:

OK, I now released version 1.2

Everybody using version 1.1 should update immediately as several major bugs have been fixed and error handling has been improved.
Forum Resident
#74 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 7:51 PM
Can this be used to get around the broken CAW tool?

With the Ambitions patch, CAW will not work, but I love Ambitions and want to keep it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#75 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jmtmom
Can this be used to get around the broken CAW tool?

No, see FAQ on Page 1 (First comment).
Page 3 of 12