Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Become an author ... without a computer

by MogHughson Posted 17th Aug 2010 at 11:42 PM - Updated 31st Oct 2010 at 6:41 PM by MogHughson : Noted fix to incoming phone calls

149 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 95 Feedback Posts, 53 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 6
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 11:16 AM
This is so awesomely awesome. Thank you so much! I am... I'm just full of yay. There aren't enough thanks buttons for me to mash!

Term papers would also be incredibly awesome, as would restaurant guides!

*cracks open package file* Okay, so it will use the textures and icons from the regular novels, so if you have a default replacement in, it'll draw from there... Is the notebook itself recolorable? I'm still kind of lousy at finding that out via SimPE.
Field Researcher
#27 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 11:24 AM
This is great, can't wait for the letters! Every ounce of realism added to the game makes me happy
Scholar
#28 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 11:28 AM
This is amazing! It's perfect if you play in antique hood! Thank you so much!

The end of magical Pegasaus's era through the world of sims
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 1:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Randir
So those features will be added into this notepad later?
I'm more inclined to do a separate object, i.e. letter paper, again reusing the homework animations, so that you can have one without the other. Posting/mailing the letter would reuse other stuff already in the game so that isn't duplicated anyway.
Quote: Originally posted by Almighty Hat
Okay, so it will use the textures and icons from the regular novels, so if you have a default replacement in, it'll draw from there... Is the notebook itself recolorable? I'm still kind of lousy at finding that out via SimPE.
Yes I drive the pre-existing novel creation code so again no duplication and any existing over-rides you have to novels will work. Recolourable? Hmmm - I forget, will check tonight when at home on Sims machine.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 2:21 PM
Oh, good, then my book defaults will still work, as will the novel plotline icons when I ever get around to replacing them.

I've got my fingers crossed for recolorability-- I have ideas.
Instructor
#31 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 3:30 PM
This is fantastic!
But I'm greedy...
Could it be made to include the plot element and the book cover images, so that maybe we could have Sim-written books with new book covers? Adding more images has been tried unsuccessfully.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gwenke33
Could it be made to include the plot element and the book cover images, so that maybe we could have Sim-written books with new book covers? Adding more images has been tried unsuccessfully.
This sounds like you are asking me to try to do something that has already been tried unsuccessfully? I use the exact same dialog as the computer uses in exactly the same way. If someone manages to add to that dialog then it will work for mine too. If it's not possible for the computer then it is not possible for mine either.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Test Subject
#33 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 6:07 PM
Yay! Thank you, it's needed in this game!!
Instructor
#34 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 6:39 PM
What I meant is whether it could be made sort of self-contained, so that it physically contains a copy of those image files. Then they could be changed without affecting the images used for making the books written on the computer. Of course this may not be possible either - sorry, I have little knowledge of objects this complex.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 6:49 PM
Awesome!
Field Researcher
#36 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 6:59 PM
This is pretty cool. Should be interesting to try out and as someone who prefers to write in a notebook, this is awesome!
Test Subject
#37 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 8:17 PM
Thanks so much for this!
Instructor
#38 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 12:19 AM
I lurve it it rocks !!! ^_^

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 2:06 AM
Very nice and useful mod, many thanks!

Check out Omicron-Simtauri, my new space project!

Newest creation on my Livejournal: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
Looking for an Underground Station? thread on GoS
Grungy cars! thread on GoS latest: VW Type 2 Two-Tones
Test Subject
#40 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 2:29 AM
Great idea, thanks! Here's a little interesting tidbit I noticed in my game: I assigned one sim to start writing a novel with it, but before he had finished it I decided it was time for him to move out. I forgot about the novel and so he moved out without it. None of my other sims left in the house could use the manuscript of course and I couldn't delete it either, even with the 'moveobjects' cheat. I experimented with inviting the author sim over and with 'testingcheatsenabled' made him selectable, but even he couldn't use the manuscript. I finally got rid of it by sticking it in his inventory and making him unselectable again, but I thought it was interesting. Not a big deal at all, but you know. I'm not sure what would happen if I moved him back into the house legitimately though...
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 3:38 AM
Great idea. Will download. =D Thank you!!!
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 3:56 AM
This is a great idea; thanks so much for making it!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
#43 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 2:30 PM
This is pretty awesome. Reminds me of all the time I spent writing stories with a pen and notebook paper when I was younger

It is easy to hate. Anybody can do it. But to love others, even those that despise us, takes the strength of a warrior.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 3:35 PM
Brilliant, and I love that teens and children can also use it. It will come in very useful for my apocalypse families - I get VERY fed up telling them to stop playing games on the computer!
Test Subject
#45 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 3:39 PM
Ahhh finally!
Thank you so much!!
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 10:03 PM
N.B. It is not currently re-colourable but I will fix that v. soon.

Gwenke33: I understand what you mean now and No that can't be done, however, I have managed to extend the icons shown in the dialog so I think something else can be done - I just need to work out how to put new pictures in instead of copies of existing ones.

Test Subject
#47 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 10:17 PM
Well its an absolutely brilliant idea. It allways looked strange seein medeval sims on a computer.

Why can't we feature it? It deserves it.

Who ever finds a typing misstake could keep it - nobody is perfect.
And sorry, my English is not perfect. As I am German, I try as good as I could.
Test Subject
#48 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 3:33 AM
Thanks for the thing
Scholar
#49 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 3:07 PM
THANK YOU! I love having my sims write novels but hate having computers in homes that don't need computers.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Test Subject
#50 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 3:56 PM
I'd always wished that: Author Sims writing with the traditional writer's tools. Few months ago, I just discovered a typewriter for Sims, but your notepad is twice times better that it! Thanks a lot.
Page 2 of 6