Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Become an author ... without a computer

by MogHughson Posted 17th Aug 2010 at 11:42 PM - Updated 31st Oct 2010 at 6:41 PM by MogHughson : Noted fix to incoming phone calls

149 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 95 Feedback Posts, 53 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 6
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#76 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 6:04 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 16th Sep 2010 at 9:00 AM.
Hi Katalina, please click on the auto link generated by the words error log in this (or my earlier post) it will tell you how to generate an error log for a jump bug and where to find it once generated. You don't have to put the attached package that Numenor provides on that page in order for me to use it, I will happily accept the error log with or without that addition.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Instructor
#77 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 3:30 AM Last edited by katalina522 : 16th Sep 2010 at 7:09 AM.
I actually did follow those directions, but it didn't generate an object error... until I used an adult sim that had never written a manuscript before.

I tested it first with an adult both at the table and on the floor. This sim had used the manuscript previously, and even when I had testing mode on it did not generate any reset windows. When I used this sim at the table and cancelled the action, he got up from the chair and the arms were perfectly fine. When I had him sit on the ground to write and cancel the action, his right arm stayed bent at 90 degrees. But no error messages.

After that I tested it with a teen and a child. Those didn't have any problems at all.

Then I decided to try the other adult in my house. She had never used the manuscript object previously. I had her sit on the ground to write and then I cancelled and it FINALLY gave me an ObjectError message.

The file in full was 76kb, which was wayyyy over the upload limit, so I cut out a bunch of stuff. If you actually need the full file, I have it uploaded here.

Thanks so much for looking at this! :D
Attached files:
File Type: txt  ObjectError_N002_t318635.txt (2.5 KB, 9 downloads)
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 8:59 AM Last edited by MogHughson : 25th Sep 2010 at 3:39 PM.
Hi - initial look suggests that the Sim was unable to put the manuscript down on a desk (or if no desks in the house on a table) and has thus dropped through to the catch all behaviour to move to an appropriate place to drop it on the floor. I will test this theory out tonight (have to go to work now!) but that is what your error log suggests. If you are playing Sims before my next update here, you could also test this theory out.

EDIT: Have recreated and am working on a fix this evening.
EDIT: Fix now uploaded.

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 9:52 PM
I'm already using the latest update. The ladder is an old Mod, with a custom animation file. Your posting routine likely doesn't see it as a valid stairway. No problem, as long as I know how to work around it. I really posted so that other folks would know the work-around and not panic. Thank you for the reply.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#80 Old 17th Sep 2010 at 5:17 PM
It will be very useful for me in game. Really thanks
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#81 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 9:07 PM
Great for the Homeless Challenge, but I guess I can't use hacks. Whatever, I'll make my own version of that challenge. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#82 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 11:34 PM
Thank you-- I have suitably 'paper-meshed' computers, but I don't always like having to buy a computer! Thanks for keeping up with the mods!
Test Subject
#83 Old 24th Sep 2010 at 9:04 PM
Quite the nifty mod, however I may have found a bug. On an apartment lot, the box showing how much your novel makes never pops up after answering the phone.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#84 Old 25th Sep 2010 at 3:38 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 28th Sep 2010 at 8:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by beardman
Quite the nifty mod, however I may have found a bug. On an apartment lot, the box showing how much your novel makes never pops up after answering the phone.
In testing this out I have discovered somthing that affects every in-bound phone call to an Apartment Lot - I am working on a fix which I will post separately since it affects so many different calls. This is the same thing noted by Babahara.

EDIT: Fix to phone calls now uploaded. See here
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
And another issue was that after my sim wrote a novel, he got it delivered, but he didn't get a phonecall and money from it. Fine with me, though, he was writing a book of recipes according to my story, and it was not for sale, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, yes you have found a bug in the manuscript - my change to allow manuscripts to be moved house, stopped this from working. Hey ho. Fix coming soon.

EDIT: Fix now uploaded.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#85 Old 4th Oct 2010 at 3:07 AM
Thank you very much for continuing to create for Sims2! This is perfect for my 1900's neighborhood!
Test Subject
#86 Old 19th Oct 2010 at 5:52 AM
( Oh how I wish this would be a S3 object...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#87 Old 19th Oct 2010 at 6:59 AM
I always make torcher artist/writer sims. This is a perfect download for me!
Test Subject
#88 Old 19th Oct 2010 at 8:43 PM
Can you make 4 sims 3 also? PLEASE!!
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 20th Oct 2010 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mariahtheqt525
Can you make 4 sims 3 also? PLEASE!!
I don't own Sims 3. Sorry.

Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#90 Old 20th Oct 2010 at 11:20 PM
Fabulous job, I'll have to try this out right away! Thanks again for your amazing work!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#91 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 4:51 PM
Mog, you always have some of the best things for the game; but this one takes the cake. I love it!
And just in time for November for NaNoWriMoing Simmers and Simmies too.
Thank you! <3
Test Subject
#92 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 5:59 AM
I love your idea of writing novels this way. I did run into a problem, though. I had my sim write a novel, he put it in the mailbox, he ran to get the phone, but after the phone call, no dialog box came up and he didn't get any money. All I have is the base game, and the patch, and that's it. For kicks, I tried your apartment phone hack, and after he wrote the novel, no phone call at all. I have your September 25th version.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by riven64
I did run into a problem, though. I had my sim write a novel, he put it in the mailbox, he ran to get the phone, but after the phone call, no dialog box came up and he didn't get any money. All I have is the base game, and the patch, and that's it.
If all you have is the base game the patch won't help as it is Apartment lot specific. Can you see if an error log is produced sometime around the phone call by running with testingCheatsEnabled?

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#94 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 4:57 PM
I don't normally leave comments, hermit that I am. But, I have wanted something like this for quite a while. Thank you so much! It should be useful in many ways, including movie making. It always irritated me that sims couldn't simply sit at a desk and write.
Again, many thanks!
Test Subject
#95 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 6:59 PM Last edited by Belailyo : 26th Oct 2010 at 9:46 PM.
Quote:
I don't own Sims 3. Sorry.

maybe if you could tell us what you changed then some of us could try modding it for the sims 3
Test Subject
#96 Old 27th Oct 2010 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MogHughson
If all you have is the base game the patch won't help as it is Apartment lot specific. Can you see if an error log is produced sometime around the phone call by running with testingCheatsEnabled?

I did run testingCheatsEnabled and tried it with many different sims of different ages, and after they answered the phone, no dialog box, and no error message. But I did find another error. When my teen was writing a novel at the desk, another teen put down his homework right in the spot where the novelist was working, and when he finished writing it, I got an error message and suddenly the novelist was standing up and the manuscript vanished. I have the log for that one. Another time a sim was writing at a kitchen table and someone put the bowl of cereal right in the spot he was working as well. I put the error log in mediafire, since it was too large to attach. Find it here. Sorry I couldn't get an error file for no dialog box.
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
Original Poster
#97 Old 27th Oct 2010 at 5:32 PM Last edited by MogHughson : 31st Oct 2010 at 6:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Belailyo
maybe if you could tell us what you changed then some of us could try modding it for the sims 3
I cloned the homework object, removed all the BHAVs except for Events related to the writing animations, added brand new BHAVs and pie-menus for writing/continuing/mailing the manuscript and had those call out to the exisitng computer global BHAVs for the various common peices of code to do with the finishing of the novel (and the setting up of the novel, choosing cover etc, with the later EPs). You can of course also look at the package to see what I did. It wasn't so much a change as a brand new object driving some existing Maxis code where commonality was needed with the computer. Can you write a novel on the computer in Sims 3? If so, presumably you can do a similar thing?
Quote: Originally posted by riven64
When my teen was writing a novel at the desk, another teen put down his homework right in the spot where the novelist was working, and when he finished writing it, I got an error message and suddenly the novelist was standing up and the manuscript vanished. I have the log for that one. Another time a sim was writing at a kitchen table and someone put the bowl of cereal right in the spot he was working as well. I put the error log in mediafire, since it was too large to attach. Find it here.
I will take a look at these - I suspect they are both the same problem once I work out what it is. Thanks for your efforts.

EDIT: Changed the place on floor if I can't place it on the desk behaviour so there shouldn't be a jump bug now. I can see where your jump bug came from but couldn't make it happen on my game, however, have changed the code to avoid it. Also fixed the phone message so you should get the message telling you how much your novel was worth.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#98 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 5:36 AM
This is great! Thank you SO much for sharing this :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#99 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 11:12 AM
Amasing ! My sims is an author and this fonctionnality is cool for her... ^_^
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#100 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 4:06 AM
This proved very useful when a college lot got a glitchy make novel action. The only one that worked properly was your object's!
Page 4 of 6