Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 21st Apr 2010 at 9:36 PM Last edited by ForeverCamp : 21st Apr 2010 at 9:39 PM. Reason: Tried suggestions for specific forum searches
I tried that - it's not there. The only options in there are:

Forum Tools -> Mark This Forum Read / Subscribe To This Forum

And when I try to go to Advanced Search, whether through the autolink or the dropdown, this is the message I get (and it's been like this for quite some times) :

Quote:
Searching has been disabled due to a high server load.
Advertisement
transmogrified
retired moderator
#27 Old 21st Apr 2010 at 10:26 PM
Apologies, FC. Turns out those options are only available to moderators, who couldn't moderate the forums without them. Peace offering: I did a search on Amish in Sims 2 WCIF for you and uncovered only one old thread, linked below. Unfortunately, it was nixed for being too vague. Perhaps if you were to post a more specific WCIF (bonnets/dresses/etc)...?

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...highlight=amish
Undead Molten Llama
#28 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
It's a drop-down option in the subheader bar in whatever forum you're viewing. Reading from left to right in Sims 2 WCIF:

Threads in Forum: Sims 2 WCIF - Forum Tools -Search this Forum

Yeah, that's where it used to be. I used to use it all the time because it was quick and easy. But now the only two options I have in that drop-down are "Mark This Forum Read" and "Subscribe to this forum." Maybe I need to be using a different style?

Quote:
Or you can go to the advanced search (<-autolinked) options and just select the WCIF subforum in the the forums to search panel.

Went to try that just now...and got the message that searching is currently disabled due to high server load. So I guess I'll try later. Thanks for the pointers! I didn't know about the advanced search. Derp

ETA: @Mangaroo: Just out of curiosity, why is "Search this forum" now only available to mods? I know it wasn't that way before...

And @FC: I'm going to take a whack at creating something over the weekend. I do not know how successful I will be. But if I come up with anything decent, I will share. 'Cuz yeah, the more I looked at the T$R set, the uglier it got. But any help from your friend would be welcome, too! :D

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#29 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 12:42 AM
iCad: limiting the forum-native search functions improves the overall performance of the servers.

[obligatory comment on Amish challenge to come as soon as I think of one. Noobkiller, kudos for taking constructive criticism in the spirit it was offered.]
Undead Molten Llama
#30 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 12:44 AM
Mangaroo: Ah! Gotcha.

It's a good challenge, I think. If made "genuinely" Amish or Amish-like, I think lots of interesting and creative things can be done. And it's inspired me, at least, to take a stab at creating and I tend to think that inspiring creativity is a good thing.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Scholar
#31 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 1:59 AM
Thanks Mangaroo! I thought I was literally losing my mind for a second. I'll try posting a more specific WCIF - I spent a few minutes trying to gather pictural examples of typical Amish clothing for my friend if she decides to have at a meshing project (I don't know if she will, it'd be like... coursework for her, and I certainly don't like doing coursework on summer break! ).

I think the main difficulty will come in the design of the clothing - because the Amish aren't typically photographed (what I found are mostly distance shots and back shots), there's not a lot of good photographs to reference. Sites have a lot of description, but not a lot of pictures.
Undead Molten Llama
#32 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ForeverCamp
I think the main difficulty will come in the design of the clothing - because the Amish aren't typically photographed (what I found are mostly distance shots and back shots), there's not a lot of good photographs to reference. Sites have a lot of description, but not a lot of pictures.

I'm going to be using this site for reference for my attempt. Should I fail (likely), you might want to keep it in mind for your friend. It has clothing for most ages and both genders and lots of pictures (Obviously not modeled by Amish people, but likely by Mennonites), so it makes it especially useful for this project.

Scholar
#33 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 2:34 AM Last edited by ForeverCamp : 22nd Apr 2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Adding link to WCIF thread / Updating responses
Aw, perfect - yeah, seems like the models are Old Order Mennonites (gotta love them, I have plenty of friends who belong to 'mainstream' Mennonite families). I'm sure if I just told my friend it's Hutterite-style clothing, she'd know what I meant (there's a number of Hutterite colonies just outside our city, you see them all the time in the stores doing the colony shopping), but pics are great!

EDIT:

Adding a link to the WCIF thread I created yesterday for primarily female body shop content - one answer so far for bonnets @ All About Style.

WCIF Amish-style clothing/hair

EDIT 2:

Got a good response for a CF dress on Live Journal/Garden of Shadows - sleeves are a little shorter, but skirt is a perfect-length, and bonus, it's plain! Kudos to GULHARE!
Mad Poster
#34 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 10:48 AM
I probably wouldn't put an Amish Sim in the Political career track. Realistically, they'd pretty much all be Family Sims.
Undead Molten Llama
#35 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 8:18 PM
I don't think they'd all be Family sims, necessarily. I can see them being Family, Knowledge, and Popularity. (They don't tend to associate with outsiders, no, but they have truly huge circles of friends amongst themselves. Their communities are very interconnected that way, much more so than your average non-Amish community. Fortune, Romance, and Pleasure wouldn't work so well, but when I set up my community, Sims who get those aspirations when they age to teen (I always roll) will likely leave the community and join the non-Amish one.

As for careers...I've pretty much decided not to use the careers at all. I've decided that my "Amish" households will be self-sufficient, will have a home business, or will have a community lot business. I'd like to be able to have some business-owners only sell to other "Amish" and some be willing to sell to outsiders, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to set that up. Need to have a look at the Visitor controller.

@FC: That child dress is quite nice! The only thing that bugs me is the buttons; Amish don't use buttons. But I'm thinking that beggars can't be choosers. *wonders how difficult it would be to covert that dress to the other ages...*

Mad Poster
#36 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 8:58 PM
I can see Popularity, maybe Knowledge but not so much, since they, for the most part, eschew technology (just how high of technology depends on the district).
Instructor
#37 Old 25th Apr 2010 at 8:15 AM
Technology does not equal knowledge, though. You can still possess intellectual curiosity and want to become skilled in your craft/profession/etc.
Undead Molten Llama
#38 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katalina522
Technology does not equal knowledge, though. You can still possess intellectual curiosity and want to become skilled in your craft/profession/etc.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Sure, some of the Knowledge wants won't fit an "Amish" Sim (Like, the werewolf ones and the alien ones), but then I'm pretty sure there are wants in the Family aspiration that won't fit an Amish Sim, either. (They aren't very flirty people, for instance, and my Family Sims always seem to roll a way to flirt with their spouse/partner.) I have a very small sample to go by, true, but in the one family I knew, there were a couple of family members who were very "bookish." They might limit themselves as to what they will learn about, sure, but the desire to learn is still very much there, and to me that's what the Knowledge aspiration should be. (I tend to think the wants to be a werewolf or to be struck by lightning or to be saved from death are pretty silly in general; I hardly ever fulfill them even though generally my Sims' wants dictate how I play them.)

Page 2 of 2